English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 08 June 2023, 17:54   #161
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Interesting? It said "neither the Amiga or the Megadrive are good systems". Cancel that bastard!
It also said that Street Fighter was never released on the Amiga I just like the way it makes up nonsense without sounding like writing homework.
Old 08 June 2023, 17:57   #162
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
It also said that Street Fighter was never released on the Amiga I just like the way it makes up nonsense without sounding like writing homework.
If it meant a DECENT version of Street Fighter then is right, though
Old 08 June 2023, 18:02   #163
touko

Quote:
Turrican 3 and Out Run are the perfect example to listen to the difference (not quality, but how the musics are played)
You should listen the intro music of turrican3 on both.All musics were created for Md and adapted to the amiga,except the intro, which was entirely redone for amiga audio capabilities .
AMIGA:
[ Show youtube player ]

MD:
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 08 June 2023, 18:08   #164
kremiso

Quote:
Interesting? It said "neither the Amiga or the Megadrive are good systems". Cancel that bastard!
seems a longtime burned out retroplayer more than a bot
Old 08 June 2023, 18:09   #165
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I treat them as separate tunes to be honest, I love both of them. The same melody, different music.
Old 08 June 2023, 18:51   #166
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremiso View Post
seems a longtime burned out retroplayer more than a bot
Old 08 June 2023, 18:54   #167
Anubis
Retro Gamer

This is some weird necrophilia with affinity for necromancy there, man.... 15 years old post replied as if it was yesterday.

We still all stick on Amiga forum, therefore, Amiga is far better.

BTW, just complexity of the games and genres plus huge catalogue made Amiga machine to have, especially for poor kids who hardly had enough money for blank disks...
Old 08 June 2023, 19:14   #168
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by touko View Post
You should listen the intro music of turrican3 on both.All musics were created for Md and adapted to the amiga,except the intro, which was entirely redone for amiga audio capabilities .
AMIGA:
[ Show youtube player ]

MD:
[ Show youtube player ]
I'm not sure that music were created for the MD and then redone for the Amiga. The game sure was but considering Huelsbeck works on the Amiga I'm not sure that the MD music was the original one in that case.
Anyway, as much I like the MD music, I still prefer the Amiga one. (And the Amiga T3 version is a masterpiece. Everything fits in one disk and it works on a 512kb Amiga. The MD version is maybe the original one and a bit better, the Amiga version isn't too far away considering how much they have limited the target hardware).
Old 08 June 2023, 20:10   #169
Photon

Like all consoles it was a special-cased, "black box" for games. You got a bit more colorful graphics, and perhaps better sound (subjective). The games and game ideas stayed 2(.5)D with few exceptions. Some had gotten interested in non-arcade games and game ideas in the late 80s, I think.

I think the fact that the OCS chipset could still match consoles for many titles in 1990/1991 showed great design strength and vision.

Computer use, input devices, saving
The Amiga was a computer. This gave it many more possibilities and uses. I think that makes it better as a platform. Not only could you use the mouse for gaming (and some did, there may have been 1 or 2 who used paddle, light gun, or light pen) and saving your game, which allowed not only arcade type games to be played, but many other uses besides gaming. This and the expansions made it the longest-lasting platform I've owned.

Specs
Then there's the specs: number of colors, sprites, and sounds. On introduction, the Megadrive/Genesis didn't seem to beat the Amiga convincingly, and cost ~60% of an Amiga, but games were 10% of an Amiga each... so if the question is asked "why didn't platform X succeed in country Y despite better tech specs" it could be because that country wasn't used to buying/renting consoles and games, or because the Amiga was still "worth it" more there. In countries that got the home computer phenomenon, the need for black box gaming systems was less. We were used to loading games, and most games weren't that heavy on the loading/installing until harddisks became commonplace.

Types of rendering
The Amiga hardware is more flexible, in that if you have a game idea, it's always possible, because it has many different ways of rendering. That's also a technical advantage that is an advantage over consoles, which were made to spec and made some by then common game types virtually impossible to render, and those didn't end up being ported to the console.

This applies to many ideas, like 2D line vector, 2.5D, pseudo 3D, full 3D, isometric, God games, Lemmings, and Sim City type games. Supported by a humble Amiga with full freedom without severe rendering penalty, these ideas are particularly difficult to showcase on a console of the time, or later. Some are virtually impossible, because console hardware was for a very long time geared towards certain game types. It's a technical advantage for Amiga.

Other drives, any drive
The CDTV was the very first CD games console released, in most countries less than a year after Megadrive. If we are speaking only hardware, this would have overlapped the Drive-less Megadrive's lifespan by more than 2 years.

A drive supporting a game that needs massive amounts of graphics and/or sound is a technical advantage.
Old 08 June 2023, 20:20   #170
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
Go back in 1993 and then compare this tune :
[ Show youtube player ]

with the Amiga one and tell me that the Amiga version have no soul in comparaison.
And it seems to be arranged by Allister Brimble...
Old 08 June 2023, 21:50   #171
Dunny

Quote:
One cannot simply cancel Ray; he's lucky. Like seriously lucky. And obscenely rich because of that. Not to mention he's also a stand up guy who looks out for his guys and won the Great Outdoor Fight of '06.
Old 08 June 2023, 22:10   #172
Howardphilips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
The CDTV was the very first CD games console released,
Nope. That would be the pc engine and its CD-Rom2 extension... And by a good margin (1988 for the NEC console versus 1991 for the Commodore one)
Old 08 June 2023, 22:15   #173
sokolovic

I suppose he was speaking about standalone CD console although I'm not sure either if the CDTV was the first one.
Old 09 June 2023, 02:32   #174
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
seems to be by Allister Brimble...
(c).

I strongly dislike the way he has gotten his name associated with music released with games. He continues to do it to this day, and on music platforms, and on social media. He has never been good at making music. The Megadrive is not to blame here.

It's so bad that yes, even for what you hear in Cannon Fodder Megadrive title, you should investigate who really made the title music.
Old 09 June 2023, 03:04   #175
Seiya

Quote:
Go back in 1993 and then compare this tune :
[ Show youtube player ]

with the Amiga one and tell me that the Amiga version have no soul in comparaison.
Mega drive play accompaniment and main tunes . Amiga version has only accompaniment and tunes is replaced by voice like karaoke when you stop the main instruments and you use your voice.
If you can delete the human voice to Amiga Cannon fodder, what you listen to?
Then why continue to post title screen music? Game music in what you listen to "in game" not in title screen.

Quote:
Anyway, as much I like the MD music, I still prefer the Amiga one. (And the Amiga T3 version is a masterpiece. Everything fits in one disk and it works on a 512kb Amiga. The MD version is maybe the original one and a bit better, the Amiga version isn't too far away considering how much they have limited the target hardware).
you should try to listen to "in game" musics. Close your eyes and listen one an the other. Amiga version has good quality, Mega Drive no. But in game musics on Mega Drive is better, dinamic, give rithm to the action. Amiga is a sound that start from A to B and then repeat at libitum.

Last edited by Seiya; 09 June 2023 at 03:28.
Old 09 June 2023, 03:27   #176
Seiya

double post
Old 09 June 2023, 06:34   #177
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
you should try to listen to "in game" musics. Close your eyes and listen one an the other. Amiga version has good quality, Mega Drive no. But in game musics on Mega Drive is better, dinamic, give rithm to the action. Amiga is a sound that start from A to B and then repeat at libitum.
Compare them here:-

[ Show youtube player ]

In some levels I found it hard to tell which one I was listening to without looking at the speaker icon. In others the Mega Drive music sounded brighter and at times a bit intrusive, while the Amiga music was more mellow and atmospheric.

Not sure what you mean by 'repeat at libitum' but neither system's music sounded more repetitive than the other to me.
Old 09 June 2023, 07:25   #178
Howardphilips

Quote:
I suppose he was speaking about standalone CD console although I'm not sure either if the CDTV was the first one.
While nitpicking, the CDTV has never been sold as a console but it may be the first standalone cd-based retail computing device
Old 09 June 2023, 08:07   #179
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
Mega drive play accompaniment and main tunes . Amiga version has only accompaniment and tunes is replaced by voice like karaoke when you stop the main instruments and you use your voice.
If you can delete the human voice to Amiga Cannon fodder, what you listen to?
Then why continue to post title screen music? Game music in what you listen to "in game" not in title screen.

I fail to see your point. Of course if you take away the main component of the tune in Cannon Fodder Amiga it will seems a bit strange. I'm pretty sure that there is noway that normal people (that don't know anything nor care about sound chip or technical wizardry on old school consoles/computers) prefers the Megadrive version of the Cannon Fodder title screen tune.

Anyway if if you take in game music of Battle Squadron, Beast 2 or Cool Spot or Aladdin (these 2 last being Megadrive first games), the Amiga version doesn't seems at all souless in comparison but miles better.
And I say that while I quite like the typical sound rendering of the Megadrive.
But hey, as said above, De gustibus etc...

Last edited by sokolovic; 09 June 2023 at 08:38.
Old 09 June 2023, 09:26   #180
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howardphilips View Post
While nitpicking, the CDTV has never been sold as a console but it may be the first standalone cd-based retail computing device
The CDTV was still a console, whilst games playing is 99% associated with the word nowadays, a console is any device that be connected to a television set.

And yes it was the first standalone CD console, the PC Engine Duo came out in September 1991, the CDTV April 1991.