English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 23 June 2024, 12:32   #161
d4rk3lf

Smooth as butter.
Thanks for the video.

Curious to see if Wing Commander will run too fast, as it do with all fast Amigas.
Old 23 June 2024, 23:42   #162
amigakit.com

@amigakit

Here is another A600GS video showing how easy it is to change disks and save states of games for instant playback at that point. In this case the game is Alien Breed. We hope you enjoy the video!

[ Show youtube player ]

Old 24 June 2024, 01:47   #163
AF2013

Will there be firmware to fixed things as you know like improving your hardware and so on?
Old 24 June 2024, 09:09   #164
amigakit.com

@af2013

You will see ongoing updates to add features and functions that users request. This project is very large with many original software components. We want to iteratively advance the software.
Old 24 June 2024, 10:36   #165
kriz

Will you really need to be online to update it ? No offline firmware updates possible ?
Old 24 June 2024, 10:54   #166
kriz

Subscription based solution is a no go! What could they ever include to make it worth such a plan ?

Picasso96 is subscription based ? I can buy a version now without any monthly fees rolling!

https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/shop/...-software.html
Old 24 June 2024, 11:10   #167
kriz

Pay for a new version is not subscription based..
Old 24 June 2024, 11:34   #168
AF2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I have updated my post to say pay-for-update rather than subscription

But it was pure speculation. A600GS not been released & I'm not an insider. It was just my suggestion for why AmigaKit might not be supporting offline updates.
pay-for-update what keep Amigakit going I guess.
Old 24 June 2024, 11:36   #169
dreadnought

Quote:
I believe (but I could be wrong) that Amigakit are hoping to have a subscription model for updates and offline fw updates (during the product lifespan) might allow for users to bypass the subscription. The subscription model is being used for Amiga products such as Picasso96 to good effect.

It's the 21st century, if you don't have a wireless router in your house (or a phone with a Wifi hotspot) that you could connect your A600GS to for an update I'd be amazed.
The internet access is not the problem here, the problem is the draconian model of exerting control via DRM. If the device is tied to an account and can receive updates only via internet then do you really own it? For example, what happens if I want to sell it or buy second hand? Amigakit still hasn't clarified this issue despite having numerous posts here since it was last mentioned.

Also, software subscription models are the absolute anti-consumer cancer, and yet another devious scheme to wrestle control and squeeze more money from users. It's bad enough that they have become the norm in the world of corporate monopolists, but a great pity this seems to be copied in our little hobby microcosm too.
Old 24 June 2024, 12:35   #170
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

We're users of a retro system of which one of the major reasons it failed was piracy. You can't blame Amiga software and hardware developers from protecting their investments and/or revenue streams either by DRM, pay-for-update, or subscriptions, etc.

If the Amiga had survived and was a modern platform, you can be certain it would have accounts, app stores, and subscriptions, just like everybody else. It's progress, like it or not.

I don't see the problem.
Old 24 June 2024, 12:37   #171
aeberbach

AmigaKit seems to have not noticed the question, I hope it will be cleared up.

How will updates be provided? Will they be made only when online and when paid for? There's no need for this speculation, they just have to make it clear!
Old 24 June 2024, 13:13   #172
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenJGore View Post
We're users of a retro system of which one of the major reasons it failed was piracy. You can't blame Amiga software and hardware developers from protecting their investments and/or revenue streams either by DRM, pay-for-update, or subscriptions, etc.

If the Amiga had survived and was a modern platform, you can be certain it would have accounts, app stores, and subscriptions, just like everybody else. It's progress, like it or not.

I don't see the problem.
There's a big difference between Commodore's commercial years, where hordes of no-income teens played the warez game, and the modern time where they grew up to be a deep-pocketed old geezers (and even bitd it was a questionable excuse for some wider failures). Nobody pirates the hobby stuff, come on.

And no, DRM and subscriptions are not "progress" at all.
Old 24 June 2024, 14:37   #173
amigakit.com

A600GS service/maintenance firmware and software updates will not be charged for.

We released an update free of charge for A600GS users last week. We have another update imminently due today which adds HDF support and other features.

Update released last week:

46.1.703 (17.06.2024)

* Extend display line mode options to add single or double mode (double split into scanlines or smooth)
* Fix reversed DELETE CANCEL in Confirm delete games requester
* Replace 2 way boolean delete protection with 3 way UNPROTECT PROTECTED LOCKED and disable delete protec button for locked apps
* Add "skip" button in First Start Wizard that allows to delay complete wizard until next boot.

Last edited by amigakit.com; 24 June 2024 at 14:43.
Old 24 June 2024, 15:07   #174
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Thanks for clearing that up. Win Win. I hope you can remain interested throughout it's Life and it is a good product
Old 24 June 2024, 15:15   #175
dreadnought

Quote:
If you don't like it. Then leave it. We won't miss you.
A truly welcoming attitude. And to bristle up at some very simple questions is a sure sign of insecurity. But I will take your advice. I guess I've seen enough
Old 24 June 2024, 15:23   #176
kriz

Indeed, updates for devices are normally downloaded then put on a usb stick, anything else is non-user-friendly!
Old 24 June 2024, 15:39   #177
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz View Post
Indeed, updates for devices are normally downloaded then put on a usb stick, anything else is non-user-friendly!
USB stick updates? Pah! Updates for devices should be received on floppy disks in the mail, anything else is non-user friendly!

Seriously, though, manual updates via USB stick are the opposite of user friendly. Nobody except us geeks will be bothered (or even know how) to do something like that.
Old 24 June 2024, 15:42   #178
kriz

So when the Amigakit servers are offline, it will not update anymore ? The A500 updates from usb stick and so many other devices.. People can download a file, put it on a usb stick lol
Old 24 June 2024, 15:46   #179
amigakit.com

The following software updates for the A600GS have been uploaded today through the in-built live update system. They are available to download for all registered AmiSphere users:

46.1.719 (24.06.2024):
A600GS:

Add display of hard disk file details to HDFGame class.
Extended HardDisk class to display the filename when a drive is a drawer or hard disk file.
Improve layout and fone size of hard disk details rows.
Add an implement the Replace Hard Disk button in the HDFGame edit menu.

Reorder Add File Chooser filters to put HDF second.

Add startup sound service

Update click sound

Add display of CD32 disk image and replace Disk Image functionality.
Fix issue where setting up cutomise memory widgets would trigger the game edited state and enable the USE SAVE buttons

Add Turbo CD to CD32

Add custom memory options to all classes that need them.

Add HDFGame class.
Add HDF Filter to Add Game File Chooser.

AmiBerry:
Adapt WHDBoot code in Amiberry and in AMOS GamebootLoader to use JST

SystemV46:
Add text.datatype and ascii.datatype
Old 24 June 2024, 17:28   #180
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz View Post
So when the Amigakit servers are offline, it will not update anymore ? The A500 updates from usb stick and so many other devices.. People can download a file, put it on a usb stick lol

So when TheA500 Mini site stops doing updates. Please tell me how your going to update anyway?

I thought RGL had already moved on to other things anyway, like Atari console. They are not really interested in the Amiga, only what ever mini consoles generate a quick revenue stream.