English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 08 June 2020, 21:03   #161
rare_j
Zone Friend

Nice info Retro-Nerd, thanks for sharing.
Old 09 June 2020, 11:48   #162
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Yup, thanks again Retro Nerd! It seems that OSSC is definitely worth giving it a try.
Old 09 June 2020, 23:23   #163
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Here are two interlace images, deinterlaced via OSSC using Bob/Line 4x. Looks good enough imo.

Old 19 July 2020, 23:10   #164
Mixel

I wonder if anyone can help with this.. I have a 1080p LG monitor, and the OSSC is working great with my PAL A1200 but with a couple of oddities..

When I’m using a scart cable I get perfect smooth gameplay in all games.. But I can’t get the nice high desktop resolutions to work

When I’m using a vga cable (replicating the same settings) I get perfect gameplay in some games (though a tiny bit of jiggly pixels interference) - but some games - most notably Apidya, have a crazy heat-wave banding effect and shimmery pixels in the large scrolling areas (the background graphics. By changing the sampling phase I can adjust the width of the banding, but i can never make it as stable as it is over scart.. other games (eg turrican series) don’t do the weird wibbly effect if I just leave it set the same as on Scart..They look/play great.

I love this device though, I’m getting Productivity 656x480 comfortably (though with a small amount of banding) which is great for the art software I want to use (compared to migraine inducing interlace) So currently on my set up I almost need both cables.. ? Unless there’s a trick to get vga under control..

Is there such a thing as an Amiga monitor output to 2 amiga monitor outputs switch box? I could use it to select based on what I want to run.. Could there be something wrong with my vga adapter (it’s from the 90s.. I have no idea if it’s buffered or not, etc!)
Old 20 July 2020, 00:49   #165
rare_j
Zone Friend

The low pass filrer functionality is limited on the vga port which is why you're seeing the interference there. You won't be able to get that under control because the LPF works for the scart and component ports.
Which resolutions can you not get working over scart? What happens, does the ossc lose sync (red light) or do you just get no picture on the monitor?
Old 20 July 2020, 02:43   #166
Mixel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_j View Post
The low pass filrer functionality is limited on the vga port which is why you're seeing the interference there. You won't be able to get that under control because the LPF works for the scart and component ports.
Which resolutions can you not get working over scart? What happens, does the ossc lose sync (red light) or do you just get no picture on the monitor?
Thanks for the quick reply!

Oh, mostly just not getting a picture on the monitor.. though sometimes it goes - the timings listed here don’t work for me.. I’ve been able to come close, with a stretched, way too dark version of Multiscan:Productivity (With full overscan).. that flashes on and off a lot. ? (I’m not very good at this yet, lol) I guess I gave up too soon? If I can get it all running over scart that’d be great.

Edit: ok so this is close! The brightness is perfect. I bet I can make scart work I just need to try more things.

The menu bar is squiggly, and some of the vertical lines are too.. and about an inch is missing off the right. Sorry I realise this is a bit of a pita to troubleshoot as there are so many settings. ?

Edit again: added what the picture looks like with the settings listed in page 1.. and it occasionally flicks off and on again.

Last edited by Mixel; 17 July 2021 at 23:20.
Old 20 July 2020, 20:22   #167
rare_j
Zone Friend

Sounds like the ossc is losing sync (the green light on the ossc turns red)
So this will be becuase your vga cable is solid at any resolution but your scart cable is shaky at high resolutions. Unfortunately the vga port has no low pass filter so you will need to use a better scart cable.

I would try a different scart cable to see if it can hold the signal at higher resolutions.
Old 21 July 2020, 00:56   #168
Mixel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_j View Post
Sounds like the ossc is losing sync (the green light on the ossc turns red)
So this will be becuase your vga cable is solid at any resolution but your scart cable is shaky at high resolutions. Unfortunately the vga port has no low pass filter so you will need to use a better scart cable.

I would try a different scart cable to see if it can hold the signal at higher resolutions.
Ooh, thanks- I wouldn’t have thought of that. The cable is one I used back in the 90s and could well be bad.

At least hi-res laced works, even if it’s shaky. ?
Old 21 July 2020, 14:22   #169
rare_j
Zone Friend

That would make sense that high res laced works as it is still a standard definition format like low res. When you get up to productivity modes that's enhanced definition which to be fair your scart cable from the 90s wouldn't be designed to carry.

If you get a quality thick shielded scart cable I would have expected that to work with enhanced definition modes like productivity. You could always ask the seller to check.

If you did get a new scart cable i would reset the settings on the ossc and start again with those.
Old 29 July 2020, 17:59   #170
Flimbo

I was thinking of picking up one of these instead of getting an old CRT. However, my LCD monitor doesn't have built in sound. Would the OSSC's audio jack allow me to play the Amiga's audio through speakers connected to the 3.5 jack?
Old 29 July 2020, 18:12   #171
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flimbo View Post
Would the OSSC's audio jack allow me to play the Amiga's audio through speakers connected to the 3.5 jack?
Yes, it doesn't do much else. It's not super useful on an Amiga I guess, as the Amiga already has separate RCA jacks for the audio. A 3.5mm breakout on the OSSC is handy for consoles with a multi-av connector and no separate audio jack, however.
Old 29 July 2020, 18:34   #172
Flimbo

Appreciate the advice, Jope. I will be using the OSSC for retro consoles so even though my question turned out to be a bit daft it wasnt a complete waste. Not really played on my 1200 much since I got it as had issues with fast ram. So I am still unfamiliar with the hardware etc.
Old 31 July 2020, 23:53   #173
Flimbo

Apologies for consecutive posts (spamming) - I forget what the etiquette is here on EAB.

I purchased the Kaico OSSC from Amazon UK for £150. There were cheaper options but once you factored in the remote and power supply it represented similar value to other OSSC's on the market. However, on the Kaico Labs own store (I didnt know they had one) it is on sale for £130. Definitely worth a browse of their other retro gaming products.

The OSSC worked with my Amiga 1200 straight out of the box. Got it hooked up to my Samsung S22B350H monitor with the audio running straight from the Amiga through my pc speakers.

OSSC display reads:

AV1: RGBS 313p
15.61kHz 49.89Hz

Can anybody recommend any settings I might change?
Old 01 August 2020, 00:57   #174
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flimbo View Post
Can anybody recommend any settings I might change?
Did you start out with the settings from the initial post?
Old 01 August 2020, 02:34   #175
Flimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Did you start out with the settings from the initial post?
I will have a look at the OP when I get home from work tomorrow. I might have misunderstood the post because I thought it did not include some of the settings available on more recent firmware.
Old 23 August 2020, 22:09   #176
rabidgerry

Are all OSSC's on ebay fake? Does anyone know?
Old 23 August 2020, 22:25   #177
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
Are all OSSC's on ebay fake? Does anyone know?
Define 'fake'. They are open source and the license permits anyone to make them, but the quality may obviously vary. The original version however, is only sold through https://videogameperfection.com/prod...can-converter/.
Old 23 August 2020, 23:37   #178
-Acid-

I bought the Kaico one from Amazon
Old 23 August 2020, 23:39   #179
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Acid- View Post
I bought the Kaico one from Amazon

I did too. Got it in 24 hours. And it's good enough built quality, despite what videgameperfection tells you.
Old 23 August 2020, 23:46   #180
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
And it's good enough built quality, despite what videgameperfection tells you.
Where do they write that it is not good quality?