English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General > Coders. Tutorials

Old 14 November 2009, 09:16   #161
Vortex
Used Register

Allow me to answer that question (I'm sure pmc won't mind)...

pmc finished his first part, and is conjuring up another one I think...
I've finished the Boot loader + loader part for the most part. Just have to add some small stuff. Also thinking about my main part...

Yes you've guessed it right.

This is not a Scoopex demo, it's a fucking megademo...
Old 14 November 2009, 10:29   #162
pmc
gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex
This is not a Scoopex demo, it's a fucking megademo...
LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty
pmc just out of curiosity , how far in % are you into the new demo?
In percentage terms maybe 30%, maybe, at a total guess - not really sure - maybe less, maybe more.

In all seriousness it'll take some time before it's finished yet is the best way to put it. Sit tight though, we'll get there.
Old 14 November 2009, 11:46   #163
Vortex
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmc View Post
L
aybe 30%, maybe, at a total guess - not really sure - maybe less, maybe more.
He means to say we haven't got a clue...
Old 14 November 2009, 13:01   #164
Kitty

Awesome! I have patience looking forward to it :-) its cool we have the priveledge of new oldskool demos being created in 2009/10, im so excited :-D
Old 16 November 2009, 01:09   #165
Kitty

Ok DemonHellraiser, I got Adobe CS4 , Adobe After Effects and the plugin Zaxwerks 3D Invigorator Pro
Only problem I got is I have never used after effects and the plugin is for after effects isn't it.
I had a look at after effects and it seems it some kind of 3d animation creator and not a design package like photoshop, am I right?
I was hoping I could use the plugin within photoshop but this seems not to be the case.
Any help on this would be great as this seems to be way over my photoshop skills
Maybe a new thread in off topic might be a good idea, so not to hijack this thread more than I have already

Last edited by Kitty; 16 November 2009 at 02:35.
Old 16 November 2009, 11:45   #166
DH
Global Moderator

Thread created in OT Kitty, quoting your above post
Old 17 November 2009, 15:39   #167
ami_junkie

Sorry about the lateness with the track pmc, still having some problems with my miggy but I uploaded a few of my old tracks that I did on the Amiga back in the day, they are all mp3 format unfortunately but there are around 75 tunes of Amiga goodness or badness .. the tunes aren`t really that good but for those interested in some other Amiga tunes not heard before. www.amigamusic.info ;D Enjoy!

Old 17 November 2009, 18:48   #168
pmc
gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ami_junkie
Sorry about the lateness with the track pmc, still having some problems with my miggy
No worries man - to be honest I didn't think there was a delay - there's no rush, take your time. Any tunes you can make for us will be very much appreciated. In fact, if you're up for it we're looking for as many tunes as possible for the demo parts. I posted an ad on here asking for ProTracker dudes to get tracking but so far there's not been much interest. Zetro replied, gawd bless 'im , so with you and him we've got two musicians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ami_junkie
there are around 75 tunes of Amiga goodness or badness .. the tunes aren`t really that good but for those interested in some other Amiga tunes not heard before
Au contraire. I thought there was some good stuff in there - much better than I could do no matter how hard I tried. Looking forward to your first track for the megademo!

Edit: KungAndBassFu! \o/ Scorpio BBS (Final Mix) \o/

Last edited by pmc; 17 November 2009 at 19:39. Reason: Quality tune update...
Old 18 November 2009, 06:04   #169
ami_junkie

Cheers matey! Yeah I am definitely up for writing as many tunes as possible, thanks for the comments too, it is a first time that I have put all the old Amiga tunes together in one place, used to be double the amount but unfortunately I don`t have the original data anymore.

Will keep you updated!

Quote:
No worries man - to be honest I didn't think there was a delay - there's no rush, take your time. Any tunes you can make for us will be very much appreciated. In fact, if you're up for it we're looking for as many tunes as possible for the demo parts. I posted an ad on here asking for ProTracker dudes to get tracking but so far there's not been much interest. Zetro replied, gawd bless 'im , so with you and him we've got two musicians.

Au contraire. I thought there was some good stuff in there - much better than I could do no matter how hard I tried. Looking forward to your first track for the megademo!

Edit: KungAndBassFu! \o/ Scorpio BBS (Final Mix) \o/

Old 19 November 2009, 03:25   #170
Kitty

For pmc, 16 color iff in the zone

Last edited by Kitty; 19 November 2009 at 03:45.
Old 19 November 2009, 08:03   #171
pmc
gone

@ Kitty - LOL! Nice one - now I know what logo will be used as the title screen of any future Retro Megademo II!
Old 20 November 2009, 19:35   #172
DH
Global Moderator

Now this babe was a little harder to do.

I had to use Adobe Illustrator for the text so I could flip the last 'R' around 180 degrees. I know you'll all say, you can do that with Zaxwerks, but and it's a big but, the lighting goes in reverse with the last letter, so for that the lighting on the 'RT' is lower front but the flipped 'R' is lower back

Anyway, I eventually found out how to correctly save each letter in .ai, loaded each one in and spaced them correctly, added the colour and finally the lighting effect, which is now correct

32 colour

Last edited by DH; 20 November 2009 at 19:52.
Old 20 November 2009, 20:36   #173
pmc
gone

Skillful graphical manipulations DH.
Old 20 November 2009, 20:37   #174
Kitty

Looks excellent DH
Old 24 November 2009, 12:40   #175
AmigaBoy

Sorry to stray off-topic from the talk of the new demo, but I've just been testing out cross-assembly on the PC using vasm, and I must admit, it's pretty amazing. I have no doubt that this is how I will be assembling programs from now on. It's so quick, and I'm able to use editor's I'm comfortable with (Notepad++).

Anyway, as a test I tried assembling "WeAreRetro" using the following command line:

Code:
	vasm68k -m68000 -Fhunkexe -o weareretro -nosym weareretro.txt
It gave me an Amiga executable in less than a second (love it!), so I immediately tried it in WinUAE using a standard A500 Quickstart setting. Unfortunately it almost immediately guru's after the demo starts. Setting the CPU to 68020 however works fine.

Looking at the source, I saw the assembler option "opt p=68020" being used. I changed it to "opt p=68000" and tried to recompile, but was greeted with the error:

Code:
	error 1 in line 526 of "weareretro.txt": illegal operand types
Line 526 is:

Code:
	.get_vbr_code:	movec	vbr,d0
According to a post by Codetapper ( http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=360105 ), that's a 68020+ instruction. He suggested a replacement in his post, so I did just that. I changed line 526 to read:

Code:
	.get_vbr_code:	dc.l $4e7a0801
Assembled and it works. I just thought I'd bring it up

I wish the -m68000 parameter would have thrown a warning so I could have seen the problem immediately. Not even the -devpac parameter helped in that respect. Oh well, can't win them all.
Old 24 November 2009, 12:55   #176
pmc
gone

@ Jason. Cheers for checking out the code guy.

The behaviour you're seeing while assembling is as it should be and the reasons for it are correct and the 68000 workaround (poking the movec opcode to memory) was too.

I'm surprised that the -devpac assembly option didn't work - maybe that's correct behaviour (I've never used VASM...) but if PHX (the author of VASM) is reading this thread he'll have the definitive answer as to whether this is right or not.
Old 25 November 2009, 01:31   #177
Plagueis/KRX
coder

Quote:
Yes it does.

First logo of the three is my favourite - it kicks bottom, in my view.

DH -->
I agree..the one without the larger "T" is my favorite too!
Old 25 November 2009, 12:39   #178
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Looking at the source, I saw the assembler option "opt p=68020" being used. I changed it to "opt p=68000" and tried to recompile, but was greeted with the error:

Code:
    error 1 in line 526 of "weareretro.txt": illegal operand types
Ok, the error message could be better. In fact it should be something like "instruction not supported on selected cpu".

Quote:
Code:
    .get_vbr_code:    dc.l $4e7a0801
Assembled and it works. I just thought I'd bring it up
Unbelievable. This is the same 68020 movec instruction as before, just in hex-code. And this works?

Quote:
I wish the -m68000 parameter would have thrown a warning so I could have seen the problem immediately.
That's the expected behaviour, because the OPT p=68020 directive in the source text takes priority.

Quote:
Not even the -devpac parameter helped in that respect. Oh well, can't win them all.
AFAIK Devpac has no command line option to select the CPU, so the vasm-behaviour from above applies.
Old 25 November 2009, 12:42   #179
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
Unbelievable. This is the same 68020 movec instruction as before, just in hex-code. And this works?
Why shouldn't it work? It's never executed on 68000 machines, code checks the CPU. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the cause of the crash when the code was assembled in 68020 mode.
Old 25 November 2009, 12:50   #180
Vortex
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
Well, you never actually get there when running 68000. If you remove the processor check or just jump to that part of the code on 68000 I'm pretty sure Amiga goes KABOOM!.

EDIT: Stingray already posted

Last edited by Vortex; 25 November 2009 at 12:51. Reason: slow typer :)