Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom256 View Post
Try this muimaster: http://aminet.net/package/dev/mui/muimaster020

For me icon.library works perfect.

Thx PeterK.
Thanks. Trying it now.
Amikit works perfectly in my slow miggy. Just waiting for some details to show it working http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=45024
Although for what I see I just want to have WB2000 working the best looking I'll be able, but I think finally I will use ScreenTab. I will left both configurated.
Old 02 September 2012, 10:57   #162
PeterK

Icon.library 46.4.256 has been released on Aminet.
Old 02 September 2012, 17:41   #163
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

I tried dropping icon.library 46 in my libs folder, but it doesn't seem to get loaded (ARTM reports the resident version to be 40, i.e. kick31). Are there additional steps I need to do? I was under the impression that if a rom library was also present on disk, the disk based version would be loaded..

Don't know if it matters, but I'm using NewIcons and the 3.1 kick is softkicked..
Old 02 September 2012, 17:55   #164
PeterK

Yes, you would either need SetPatch v44, which loads both, the icon.library and the workbench.library v44+ from Libs: and replaces the older versions of the ROM or you can use my package for ClassicWB on OS 3.0/3.1 http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=804199#post804199

Instead of SetPatch v44 you can also use LoadModule or LoadResident or build your own custom ROM with Remus.

Hmm, sorry I didn' read your note about softkicked OS 3.1. That can make it impossible, since all methods with SetPatch v44, LoadModule or LoadResident would need a reboot to load these libraries resident and that won't work with a softkicker.
Old 02 September 2012, 19:27   #165
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

Hmm.. So I guess the way these modules are replaced is not simply by patching lvoOpenLibrary to open/load a different one then..

My only option then seems to be building a new rom image with icon library included and then softkick that!?

btw, the softkicker is set040, i.e. using mmu, so it only performs a reboot on cold boot.

Last edited by hooverphonique; 02 September 2012 at 19:58.
Old 02 September 2012, 19:45   #166
PeterK

With a little luck, you could build such a custom ROM with Remus and load it with Set040 (I don't know if it works), and then use the ClassicWB config with Scalos 1.2. It only needs workbench.library 3.0/3.1 and no files from OS 3.5+. You must comment out the LoadModule lines in the startup-sequence then and perhaps it could work.
Old 02 September 2012, 19:59   #167
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

I went ahead and tried using loadmodule anyway, and it definitely has some sort of effect (and ARTM residents shows icon.library at a fastram address).. after the reboot initiated by loadmodule, no icons show any more (except for the drives on the desktop which show default OS icons) and WBStartup gets ignored - if i unload the module, they reappear..

Last edited by hooverphonique; 02 September 2012 at 21:32.
Old 02 September 2012, 21:36   #168
PeterK

You will need the ClassicWB ADVSP setup together with my addon-package to let it work with workbench 3.0 or 3.1. The Scalos 1.2d is supplying some of the missing workbench.library functions then and with its iconobject system it can handle icons in OS 3.5 format. It also needs the newicon.library from Stephan Rupprecht which I patched to work with OS 3.0+.
Old 02 September 2012, 22:29   #169
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

thanks, but could you reveal the technical details of what is wrong and needed? I'm not using classicwb or os 3.5 icons (at the moment at least), but mainly wanted to use this library for performance reasons and that should be possible without using classicwb, no!?.. I am running the latest NewIcons from aminet (4.6). I noticed the NewIconEmu in your startup-sequence, but its documentation said it needed at least OS3.5, so I left that alone..

edit: I actually found an installation of Scalos 1.0 on my system drive (damn, 15 years is a long time and you forget a lot of stuff ;-).. When I run that, my old NewIcons show up (although with some minor color problems).. Does this mean I need to use Scalos or just that Scalos has built-in NewIcons support and thereby "circumvents" your icon.library?

Last edited by hooverphonique; 02 September 2012 at 22:50.
Old 02 September 2012, 22:53   #170
PeterK

ClassicWB is a project by Bloodwych who created a bunch of preinstalled software packages suitable for all sizes of classic Amiga computers:
http://classicwb.abime.net/index.htm
http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=61

I've already patched the (emulated) newicon.library in my package to be able to use it with OS 3.0/3.1, too. So, you're not alone.

Yes Scalos supports NewIcons and the newicon.library from Stephan Rupprecht converts the OS 3.5 format into the NewIcon format. My icon.library converts all into the OS 3.5 format.

Last edited by PeterK; 02 September 2012 at 23:16.
Old 02 September 2012, 23:38   #171
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

So I tried that demo disk in winuae, but I'm not sure what it's supposed to show... and it doesn't have anything NewIconEmu.. Am I totally missing the point here? Is this new version of icon.library not compatible with existing old school (NewIcons) .info-files?

another funny thing: when checking the version of your icon.library with "version" v40.1, it outputs "46.4.256", but no matter what version/revision I specify, the return code of "version" is always zero.. this also happens when checking the version of other specific items, but not when checking the version of the original newicon.library, for example

Last edited by hooverphonique; 02 September 2012 at 23:45.
Old 04 September 2012, 00:49   #172
PeterK

The demo is a different approach. Does it show all types of icons?
Old icons, MWB-icons, NewIcons, GlowIcons, OS4-icons and PNG-icons?
If it does, you really have all what you need. Then just compare the contents.

Of course, the icon.library displays NewIcons, too.

Concerning your experiments with Version 40.1:
It really does what it should do. Nothing unexpected here.

Version icon.library 46 ; or less
Set
===> RC = 0

Version icon.library 46 REVISION 4
Set
===> RC = 0

Version icon.library 47 ; or more
Set
===> RC = 5 = WARN

Version icon.library 46 REVISION 5 ; or more
Set
===> RC = 5 = WARN
Old 22 September 2012, 00:41   #173
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Update: icon.library 46.4.257 with a different distance table for the color mapping.
. What's the benefit exactly? I mean to understand it.
Old 22 September 2012, 00:53   #174
PeterK

Sorry, but nothing for you, 'cause you are using a fixed 16 color palettte. In all other cases, the colors could look better, maybe, but that's exactly what I want to know from the users.

Btw, the memory leak in your distro seems to be a FastMem leak. I'm gonna check that soon. It runs out of FastMem first, and when nothing is left it eats up the remaining ChipMem finally, too. Just don't know yet what it is.
Old 22 September 2012, 10:54   #175
PeterK

Pulled down...

Update: icon.library 46.4.257 with a different distance table for the color mapping.
Old 23 September 2012, 15:35   #176
Calabazam

On my setup (OS3.1 Kick 3.1 Blizzard 1260), the latest icon.library from Aminet causes my A1200 to not boot. When i delete this icon.library from LIBS: and stick to the one in ROM (genuine) everything is fine.

I would like to know if the lib will allow me to see nice icon instead of small square dot for some icon type i have in a few WHDLOAD games? Newicons is already installed and working fine on my system but i think these ones are for OS3.5+ icons.
Old 23 September 2012, 17:59   #177
PeterK

Hi Calabazam,
please compare your system setup with that from my IconDemoADF.rar at the first posting. Which version is your workbench.library?

Maybe, you could add a line at the top of your startup-sequence:
Set ECHO ON
to see how far it boots and where the problem occurs.

If you can't find the reason then please send your startup-sequence.

Yes of course, you will see all icons if it works correctly. Check out the IconDemoADF.rar.

Last edited by PeterK; 23 September 2012 at 18:11.
Old 23 September 2012, 18:52   #178
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I've got a question about icons. I remember in CWB39 in some moment, perhaps when snaping the icons in a drawer, if there were Png icons it was asking if you wanted to convert them to 3.5 style. I believe they look better that way. Is there a program to make that or how can I make it?
Old 23 September 2012, 19:17   #179
PeterK

Quote:
...if there were Png icons it was asking if you wanted to convert them to 3.5 style. I believe they look better that way.
When this requester comes up asking you if you would like to convert your PNG icons into the OS 3.5 format then you will already see the resulting quality of the color reduction from 24 bit TrueColor into something close to HiColor quality. The very small loss of quality is only visible with AfA_OS, Scalos on OS 3.5+ or the original PowerIcons patch (for one image).

Converting into the OS 3.5 format can be done either with this snapshot requester or by saving from WB-menu -> icon -> info or copying icons with drag&drop from one window to another. You won't loose or gain any quality on all AGA/ECS/OCS screens by converting the PNG icons. But the info-files will get a lot smaller and thus the icon loading can be done faster. The OS 3.5 format won't need PNG decoding or zlib decompression.

Conclusion: if you never use a TrueColor screen then it's much better to convert all icons in the OS 3.5 format.
Old 23 September 2012, 21:37   #180
Calabazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Hi Calabazam,
please compare your system setup with that from my IconDemoADF.rar at the first posting. Which version is your workbench.library?

Maybe, you could add a line at the top of your startup-sequence:
Set ECHO ON
to see how far it boots and where the problem occurs.

If you can't find the reason then please send your startup-sequence.

Yes of course, you will see all icons if it works correctly. Check out the IconDemoADF.rar.
Thanks for the answer.
I have set ECHO ON on my SS and it seems the computer crashes at C:IPrefs. Actually, i can't remember what C:IPrefs does on my system as it is an old setup.

Without your icon.library, i am able to see all the icon from the adf except the black dot square froƧme the CopyIcon drawer and the PNGicons. The colors from the Os4icons are bad though (AGA 256 colors here).

Workbench.libray is 40.5 (from the KS3.1).
Setpatch is 44.17 from a later OS i believe.