English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 15 June 2012, 19:29   #161
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arokh View Post
Awesome that amiga emulation for other platforms than Windows is being worked on again.

Frode, I'm wondering how to get my MacBook Air to display 50Hz on my TV? It's connected with HDMI through a receiver.

I tried with and without mirroring. I can set the display output to 720p/50Hz, but when I launch fs-uae fullscreen it switches to 60Hz. How come?
Hi, sorry for the delay - I have been away from home this week.

FS-UAE only sets fullscreen mode with the size set to the current desktop size and does not itself change mode or refresh rate, and on Mac as well as on Windows and Linux, if a 50Hz mode is set when FS-UAE is launched, this will remain used when FS-UAE switches to fullscreen.

However, I have not tried HDMI out on Mac - and I have not an adapter to connect the display output on the Macbook to HDMI. It is possible that Mac OS X behaves in another way when HDMI is used, but currently, this is not something FS-UAE controls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesplease View Post
also 60Hz on my mac. But whats so bad about it ? I think the interlace mode is more annoying, have this also in some games like fish labs galaxy on fire2 for mac. With dvi cable no problem
With 60 Hz modes (and 50 Hz Amiga games), some Amiga frames will regularly be displayed twice, and this will lead to stuttering and (perfectly) smooth scrolling / graphics is not possible. The stuttering is not terrible, and in some games you may not notice it, but I certainly notice it and gets irritated if the video output isn't smooth.

Quote:
but when using hdmi, some title not all, turning to interlaced mode. Must be possible to be fixed by code though... Frode ?
Regarding interlace, see the previous answer, this is something FS-UAE does not control, and yes, you definitively want to use progressive modes if possible. This behaviour will not differ depending on title.
Old 16 June 2012, 21:01   #162
Foul

Send a message via ICQ to Foul Send a message via MSN to Foul
i'm looking why my Wheel mouse button is not working under Fs-Uae .. Working with my Real A1200..

WheelBusMouse installed..
Old 18 June 2012, 13:49   #163
yesplease

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
Regarding interlace, see the previous answer, this is something FS-UAE does not control, and yes, you definitively want to use progressive modes if possible. This behaviour will not differ depending on title.
Hi frode I have to insist on this one, the title I mentioned was not an amiga game title, "galaxy on fire 2" is a native mac title. Another native mac title is "speedball2" both are from the mac appstore. Whem I am on hdmi, the first title enters 1920x1080i the second one enters 1920x1080p. So this behaviour makes me still believe, that it must be something controllable by software.
Old 18 June 2012, 17:47   #164
Foul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foul View Post
i'm looking why my Wheel mouse button is not working under Fs-Uae .. Working with my Real A1200..

WheelBusMouse installed..
No way to get Wheel mouse + 4&5 button to work...

WheelMouseButton & FreeWheelMouse installed... with no effect...

Working on Real Amiga

Second thing : Fs-Uae simply crash/quit when launching Netsurf68k (logs attached)
Attached Files
File Type: zip FS-UAE.log.zip (15.4 KB, 140 views)

Last edited by Foul; 18 June 2012 at 18:04.
Old 19 June 2012, 00:41   #165
arokh

Quote:
FS-UAE only sets fullscreen mode with the size set to the current desktop size and does not itself change mode or refresh rate, and on Mac as well as on Windows and Linux, if a 50Hz mode is set when FS-UAE is launched, this will remain used when FS-UAE switches to fullscreen.
Not so, my display is 50Hz when FS-UAE launches, but goes to 60Hz when fullscreen.

Old 19 June 2012, 13:51   #166
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
No way to get Wheel mouse + 4&5 button to work...
WheelMouseButton & FreeWheelMouse installed... with no effect...
Working on Real Amiga
Hi, no information other than mouse motion and two button presses are sent to the emulated Amiga from FS-UAE, so I will have to do some more coding before this can work.

Quote:
Second thing : Fs-Uae simply crash/quit when launching Netsurf68k (logs attached)
I registered the issue here (with log attached) so I won't forget to try to reproduce/fix it later:
http://code.google.com/p/fs-uae/issues/detail?id=35

Quote:
Hi frode I have to insist on this one, the title I mentioned was not an amiga game title, "galaxy on fire 2" is a native mac title. Another native mac title is "speedball2" both are from the mac appstore. Whem I am on hdmi, the first title enters 1920x1080i the second one enters 1920x1080p. So this behaviour makes me still believe, that it must be something controllable by software.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arokh View Post
Not so, my display is 50Hz when FS-UAE launches, but goes to 60Hz when fullscreen.
A bit of misunderstand here I did not mean that it is impossible for FS-UAE to control, but that currently FS-UAE does not try to control it. It only requests fullscreen mode at the current desktop resolution, and the system decides the rest.

FS-UAE uses SDL_SetVideoMode to set fullscreen mode, and as far as I can see SDL does not provide a method to specify interlaced/non-interlaced modes or refresh rates. On the computers I have tested with, the system has not changed display mode when FS-UAE enters full-screen, but perhaps this happens on some operating systems with HDMI / external video out. So if someone has any specific knowledge regarding this issue, please feel free to share.

It is also possible that this behaviour can be altered in system settings / monitor drives on some systems...

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 19 June 2012 at 14:08.
Old 19 June 2012, 13:59   #167
Foul

Thank you sir !
Old 19 June 2012, 21:51   #168
yesplease

Quote:
FS-UAE uses SDL_SetVideoMode to set fullscreen mode, and as far as I can see SDL does not provide a method to specify interlaced/non-interlaced modes or refresh rates. On the computers I have tested with, the system has not changed display mode when FS-UAE enters full-screen, but perhaps this happens on some operating systems with HDMI / external video out. So if someone has any specific knowledge regarding this issue, please feel free to share.

It is also possible that this behaviour can be altered in system settings / monitor drives on some systems...
Ok I did some google searches. Found this site http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1306100930

where people had the same problem with WoW, (e.g. mac fullscreen with hdmi out turns to 1080i). Seems to be a osx problem, as far as I understood the problem is since snow leopard. Since snow leopard the OS makes a full list including all modes, before only one mode per resolution. The OS orders the resolution list in that way that the interlace modes are on top and most games are picking the first from that list (probably also including the SDL). A lot of titles got repaired over time, but still some titles out there like GOF2 are switching to interlaced.
What makes me wonder is that minecraft fullscreen doesn't switch to interlace even it is based on SDL as far as I know.
I will do some more research, maybe I find something how to solve that for our beloved FS-UAE on mac with HDMI.

found something like this (from OpenGL Programming Guide for Mac OS X)

Listing 3-5 shows how to switch the main display to a pixel depth of 32 bits per pixel, a resolution of 640 x 480, and a refresh rate of 60 Hz. A detailed explanation for each numbered line of code appears following the listing.
Note: Calling CGDisplaySwitchToMode does not guarantee that the display mode switches successfully. Displays have physical limitations that can prevent them from operating in a particular mode.
Listing 3-5 Switching the resolution of a display
CFDictionaryRef displayMode ;
CFNumberRef number ;
boolean_t exactMatch ;
CGDisplayCapture (kCGDirectMainDisplay);
displayMode =
CGDisplayBestModeForParametersAndRefreshRate (kCGDirectMainDisplay,32,640,480,60,&exactMatch);
// 2 // 3
// 4
if (exactMatch){
CGDisplaySwitchToMode (kCGDirectMainDisplay, displayMode);
} else {
// Your code to take appropriate action
}
// Run the event loop.
CGReleaseAllDisplays();
Here's what the code does:
1. Captures the main display.
2. Requests a display mode with a depth of 32 bits per pixel, a resolution 640 x 480, and a refresh rate 60 Hz. The function finds the best match for these parameters.
3. If there is an exact match, then switches to the display mode.
4. Before the application quits, releases all displays

Edit: another idea, to compile it against the newest SDL. Hopefully the SDL team already fixed it.

Last edited by yesplease; 20 June 2012 at 10:02. Reason: Fixed smilie.
Old 21 June 2012, 12:38   #169
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Ok I did some google searches. Found this site http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1306100930

where people had the same problem with WoW, (e.g. mac fullscreen with hdmi out turns to 1080i). Seems to be a osx problem, as far as I understood the problem is since snow leopard. Since snow leopard the OS makes a full list including all modes, before only one mode per resolution. The OS orders the resolution list in that way that the interlace modes are on top and most games are picking the first from that list (probably also including the SDL).
Yes, it seems likely that this is the same problem, and that your conclusion is correct (but I haven't investigated yet). Using Mac API's directly may not be a good idea -it may interfere with SDL. Some other options:

1. Perhaps the Mac behavior can be changed (modes can be reordered or something) with a utility.
2. Modify the current version of SDL for Mac (it is bundled with FS-UAE for Mac anyway) to skip/ignore interlace modes.
3. Add support for SDL 1.3/2.0 in FS-UAE, and take advantage of the improved API's for iterating and choosing fullscreen screenmode. At least it looks like it is possible to switch to a mode with a given refresh rate (but I don't see anything related to interlaced modes...)

I don't have access to a Mac for a couple of weeks now anyway, so I won't be able to check this out for a while. Also, I must probably invest in an HDMI adapter to be able to reproduce the problem.

It is quite possible that (2) is relatively easy to do (I haven't looked at the SDL/Mac code in question).
Old 21 June 2012, 12:45   #170
Foul

Quote:
New version on Aminet .. still crashing
Old 22 June 2012, 00:21   #171
yesplease

Quote:

2. Modify the current version of SDL for Mac (it is bundled with FS-UAE for Mac anyway) to skip/ignore interlace modes.

It is quite possible that (2) is relatively easy to do (I haven't looked at the SDL/Mac code in question).
I probably found a good SDL, I looked into Speedball2, they use libSDL1.2 and they are going to fullscreen without switching to interlace!!! Was so excited but
unfortunatly they use a 64Bit built of libSDL-1.2.0.dylib, when I start fs-uae which is 32 Bit, it gives me:

Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
/Users/xxxx/Documents/FS-UAE/FS-UAE.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/libSDL-1.2.0.dylib: mach-o, but wrong architecture

checked with command file
theirs is:
libSDL-1.2.0.dylib: Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64
yours is
libSDL-1.2.0.dylib: Mach-O dynamically linked shared library i386
fs-uae: Mach-O executable i386

BTW, where to get those dylib files, could not find them on the net at SDL site there is a dmg, which claims to be the runtime libs but it doesn't contain the libSDL-1.2.0.dylib file. I wanted to try the 1.2.15 version.
Old 22 June 2012, 06:09   #172
marlo

Exists any FS uae version for Android? Im an old Amiga and i hate all crApple stuff. Android become one most popular OS in the world after windoze.
Old 22 June 2012, 09:17   #173
nexusle
Banned

Old 22 June 2012, 13:01   #174
yesplease

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo View Post
Exists any FS uae version for Android? Im an old Amiga and i hate all crApple stuff. Android become one most popular OS in the world after windoze.
For Android, there is currently nothing. And, come on marlo, the machines from apple are solidly built. From aspect of material and the design, there is nothing really big to complain about, so many people like these machines. You should be loving the difference, it's healthier than hating.
Old 22 June 2012, 15:11   #175
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo View Post
The short answer is no. I might port it later, but currently I will rather focus on improving FS-UAE for already supported (or similar) platforms.

Regarding Apple: I don't mind their machines - they seem to choose good components in general, and Mac OS X works more or less as well as other commercial operating systems (I primarily use Linux myself). But I will not bother to develop for - or support - very closed systems such as iOS where Apple controls software distribution and device usage (Yes, I know people jailbreak these devices, but I'm still not interested in personally supporting the eco-system surrounding such devices).

So, if I do another port (except trivial ports such as for instance supporting FreeBSD), it will most likely be an Android port.

This thread has some information about UAE/Android: "What about android" - http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=63906

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 22 June 2012 at 15:17.
Old 22 June 2012, 15:26   #176
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
New version on Aminet .. still crashing
Noted -In a bit busy period right now, so haven't had time to check it out yet.

Quote:
BTW, where to get those dylib files, could not find them on the net at SDL site there is a dmg, which claims to be the runtime libs but it doesn't contain the libSDL-1.2.0.dylib file. I wanted to try the 1.2.15 version.
The libraries distributed with FS-UAE is built from source (Macports). I don't know right know what the contents of SDL-1.2.15.dmg are.
Old 22 June 2012, 16:10   #177
Foul

no prob, nothing hurry, IBrowse and AWeb working well

I'm not using my Amiga to Browse internet every day
Old 22 June 2012, 16:13   #178
ProfDrLuigi

Send a message via ICQ to ProfDrLuigi
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexusle View Post
hab ich mir auch gedacht ...

thought it too ...

It seems to be a Win-User.
Old 22 June 2012, 19:22   #179
yesplease

Quote:
The libraries distributed with FS-UAE is built from source (Macports). I don't know right know what the contents of SDL-1.2.15.dmg are.
dmg contained the file SDL which is a
SDL: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
SDL (for architecture x86_64): Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64
SDL (for architecture i386): Mach-O dynamically linked shared library i386

renamed it to libSDL-1.2.0.dylib and gave it a go, but FS-UAE complains
Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/libSDL-1.2.0.dylib
Referenced from: /Users/USER/Documents/*/FS-UAE.app/Contents/MacOS/fs-uae
Reason: Incompatible library version: fs-uae requires version 12.0.0 or later, but libSDL-1.2.0.dylib provides version 1.0.0

Binary Images:
0x1000 - 0x5efff3 +no.fengestad.fs-uae (1.3.14 - 1.3.14) <07CDC870-70E7-75DA-8F98-7E116613D3C7> /Users/USER/Documents/*/FS-UAE.app/Contents/MacOS/fs-uae
0x32b0000 - 0x32fbfc0 +libSDL-1.2.0.dylib (12.4.0 - compatibility 1.0.0)

seems as if it claims to be version 12.4.0 but with a compatibility of 1.0.0, and FS-UAE is testing against compatibility number as if it were the version, which might not be the case. What do you think Frode? Maybe SDL is not the correct file because 12.4 is so much higher than 1.2 ?

Has any one another source of a compiled sdl1.2.15 lib which I can throw at FS-UAE?

Last edited by yesplease; 22 June 2012 at 19:33.
Old 28 June 2012, 09:54   #180
Foul

i've got a prob on my work machine :

arrow keys not working, @home no problem, here no effect.
tested under Cli/Dopus/Ced/Asmpro

Logs attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip FS-UAE.log.zip (14.6 KB, 118 views)