English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 26 December 2022, 12:59   #161
sokolovic

Well Turrican 2 AGA was coded from the ground. I Guess he's not talking about hacking Lion King AGA version but rebuid a version using VGA assets with the T2 AGA Engine.
Old 26 December 2022, 13:07   #162
mc68060
With MMU and FPU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
It's much more complicated to hack a C coded game. It's "easier" when coded in ASM.

Understood. But actually, it's not written in C. According to this the MegaDrive version, which was the basis for Amiga conversion, was written in C but the Amiga version was in 68k ASM: "I had no idea what C was and it was a major problem at that point in the development. In the end I only used one table from the source code provided - the table that controlled when the wildebeest came on and what position they ran from in the stampede level." So it looks like he rewrote the game from scratch in 68000.
Old 26 December 2022, 14:11   #163
Reido

Was playing this for a few hours yesterday, and again when I finish this post! Incredible work, thank you so much for this!!
Old 26 December 2022, 15:13   #164
blade002
Zone Friend

It was quite a unique experience playing through it again in AGA, that's some of finest pixel art I've seen on the Amiga, you can really see all the colours have been used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221227_010906.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	351.5 KB
ID:	77543  

Last edited by blade002; 26 December 2022 at 16:03.
Old 26 December 2022, 15:47   #165
Reido

It really is. Love the secrets with the little robot fella!
Old 26 December 2022, 17:16   #166
Gzegzolka

Yeah, secrets are cool. I like that little drone too Game is well done and secret in player option is good one.
Old 26 December 2022, 19:17   #167
amigoun

I was playing last night and got stuck here (second factory level) even gyro did not help to get out:

Imagine how happy I was when Time is out put me in correct place in game again

I have one feature request. In Amiga Turrican it was possible to disable the mustic in game just pressing "s" that only left sound effects.

That feature would help people hear sound effects and mix amiga audio with external cd/mp3 player to have CD soundtrack playing along until CD32 version with CD audio appears
Old 27 December 2022, 00:29   #168
rare_j
Zone Friend

A minor detail that's different, in the original version after getting your ship repaired, it always lets off a few shots, presumably to show you can shoot again.
In the AGA version there are no shots let off after repair.
A tiny thing, but if you are going back to polish a few bits, this one might be worth a look.

Aga version (46:00 minutes in)
[ Show youtube player ]

Original version (52:20)
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 27 December 2022, 03:42   #169
AmigaBill

Wow

Holy cow. I played this for the first time yesterday and it is absolutely incredible. Amazing work Muzza It is SO freaking good. Thank you so much. It is a AAA release
Old 27 December 2022, 09:50   #170
Fiery Phoenix

Quickie - controller screen

It auto detects mine as 1/2 button joystick - however it is actually a PC joypad with L1-2 / R1-2 triggers and 4 buttons.

I have selected Joypad Customised but it does not recognise any of the other buttons, just the 2 that are used in the auto detection - so unable to re-confgiure. Tried the PS, Xbox and CD32 options and started the game, just to see if the other buttons work, but they don't

The joypad buttons do work and can be configured in MAME for example
Old 27 December 2022, 10:06   #171
Muzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery Phoenix View Post
Quickie - controller screen

It auto detects mine as 1/2 button joystick - however it is actually a PC joypad with L1-2 / R1-2 triggers and 4 buttons.

I have selected Joypad Customised but it does not recognise any of the other buttons, just the 2 that are used in the auto detection - so unable to re-confgiure. Tried the PS, Xbox and CD32 options and started the game, just to see if the other buttons work, but they don't

The joypad buttons do work and can be configured in MAME for example
You may need to set up your emulator to treat it as a CD32 pad, rather than as a regular joystick.
I put instructions here for doing this in WinUAE (scroll down).
Old 27 December 2022, 11:49   #172
Fiery Phoenix

Collio Muzza - makes sense. Rookie error my part. Yes - cnaged to CD32 in WinUAE and recognises it as that now - all good. First proper play - level 4 - have 9/9 secrets so far - great touch
Old 27 December 2022, 12:57   #173
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
Well Turrican 2 AGA was coded from the ground. I Guess he's not talking about hacking Lion King AGA version but rebuid a version using VGA assets with the T2 AGA Engine.
That's a completely different story then.
Old 27 December 2022, 12:58   #174
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc68060 View Post
Understood. But actually, it's not written in C. According to this the MegaDrive version, which was the basis for Amiga conversion, was written in C but the Amiga version was in 68k ASM: "I had no idea what C was and it was a major problem at that point in the development. In the end I only used one table from the source code provided - the table that controlled when the wildebeest came on and what position they ran from in the stampede level." So it looks like he rewrote the game from scratch in 68000.
Better then redo the game completely. That's what the previous post indicates.
Old 27 December 2022, 13:00   #175
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
The engine seems pretty solid indeed. I hope it will be used for other 2D games but anyway this one is already a great xmas gift. Have a good rest Muzza !

Henk Nieborg have done recently pixel art for a Megadrive game. Who knows, maybe he would be interested to make some for a new AGA game ? A sequel to Lionheart for A1200/CD32/modern platforms would probably be easily founded on a kickstarter.
https://www.henknieborg.nl/
There is the great game named Xeno Crisis that would be awesome on A1200.
Old 27 December 2022, 13:46   #176
AmigaDweeb
Mutation Software

It's a very nice rework for sure - totally love it
Old 27 December 2022, 13:55   #177
Anubis
Retro Gamer

This looks really good. I hope to play it on MiSTer FPGA over next couple of days. Thank you for great release!

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoniac View Post
I completed the game late last night. I managed to get all the enhanced secrets as well. The game is extremely polished and has many improvements on the Amiga original. It's going to be hard to go back to the OCS version for me. It's a tremendous release!

Last time, about a year ago, I played Turrican 1 and 2 to end, C64 version. There is always place for OCS version ...
Old 27 December 2022, 15:07   #178
BigD

@Thread

Everything is great on THEA500 Mini except the Save States seem buggy! When I try and save at the start of the second area (after first exit) it will take me back to the intro screen when I load back into it! Saving right at the start of the game does work though but is pointless except to get a fast start!

Has this happened to anyone else? Save states are one of the main reasons to play it on the Mini in the first place! Disappointing!
Old 28 December 2022, 04:54   #179
Muzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Everything is great on THEA500 Mini except the Save States seem buggy! When I try and save at the start of the second area (after first exit) it will take me back to the intro screen when I load back into it! Saving right at the start of the game does work though but is pointless except to get a fast start!

Has this happened to anyone else? Save states are one of the main reasons to play it on the Mini in the first place! Disappointing!

I've only tested it a little, but I could load between saves in World 1 and World 3 without problem. Although they took a lot longer to load than I would expect. Sometimes the Mini feels like it was that close to greatness but was rushed out a little too early.

I did consider implementing a inbuilt save system at one point, but not sure of its value, and whether I'd support the floppy version if I did.
Old 28 December 2022, 09:20   #180
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Is it worth saving states for a game that takes one and half hour to go through? I also think this must be a problem of A500 mini, not the game.