English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.Green Amiga Alien GUIDES

Old 27 November 2023, 21:48   #1761
dr.zeissler

Can it be that AHI for Amiga OS4 is meant? I don't see the ess-solo1 drivers either.
I switched to the SB128 again to have sound.
Old 27 November 2023, 23:12   #1762
dr.zeissler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnkBitten View Post
...When you do pciinsmod on your Amithlon, what audio driver modules are being loaded if any?
none, because I can only use the original kernel (emubox.gz) on that machine. every other kernel freezes or reboots that machine. So I installed the updates and said no driver will be used from the contrib-packages, because if they are used I have to switch to the newer kernel, but I am relatively sure that the contrib-packages do not offer an ess-solo1 driver either.
Old 28 November 2023, 07:29   #1763
croupier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korban View Post
Physically I didnt. System still had 64GB RAM, but I just changed the kernel line arguements to only allow access to 896MB (fails when higher).
Any info available on which arguments in the kernel line to be changed? And how?
Old 28 November 2023, 20:34   #1764
dr.zeissler

Quote:
I don't even see the drivers for ESS Solo-1 in the AHI package so assume it would be relying on kernel drivers in Amithlon supporting the card.

When you do pciinsmod on your Amithlon, what audio driver modules are being loaded if any?
you mean the linux-kernel-drivers that are in the kernel itself and are not "added" via the pccinsmod-command? That would mean no AHI driver required? and sound on 68K via "bear" but with what values? I always looked in the AHI driver to get the correct values for "bear" to work.

Doc
Old 29 November 2023, 02:41   #1765
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Does the newemubox.gz kernel crash as well? That was the last kernel released by Bernie for Amithlon before Gary's Kernel3.10 and Milan's Kernel4.

I don't recall if the AmithlonUpdate131 (all the contrib files) works with only the latest official kernel (new_emubox.gz) or just the on cd version (emubox.gz).
Old 29 November 2023, 07:15   #1766
dr.zeissler

Quote:
Does the newemubox.gz kernel crash as well? That was the last kernel released by Bernie for Amithlon before Gary's Kernel3.10 and Milan's Kernel4.

I don't recall if the AmithlonUpdate131 (all the contrib files) works with only the latest official kernel (new_emubox.gz) or just the on cd version (emubox.gz).
Yes only the original kernel works, every other kernel including the latest from bernie does crash, freeze, reboot the machine.
Machine is FSC Scovery211/212 with a https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/acer-v70la#cpus board.

the latest kernel from bernie does not require the contrib 131 packages but it is recommended to install the 131 update.
there is a question/info when installing contrib...I don't remember it ...I have to look for it again.
Old 29 November 2023, 18:18   #1767
dr.zeissler

If I take out "vgamode=xxx" I can see that later kernels make "kernel panic: could not find proper pci-offset even when ignoring the roms".
Both right lights on the keyboard are blinking. The original kernel works.

To bad I would love to test if my onboard rageIIc works better on the later emuboxfb.gz kernel because the orignal kernel dectects "ATY-1" but only 1024x768 with 8 bit works. Every other resolution and bitdeph is broken (wrong colors and not switchin the monitor at all) so this is not usable. Adding "dovesa" makes lowres with picasso possible (switching), but it's obviously very slow and ATY-1 falls back to "vesa" in P96.

So more testing has to be done...
Old 30 November 2023, 14:06   #1768
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

The contrib updates are for Amithlon and are needed for the OS, someone put all the contrib packages into an installer package (AmithlonUpdate131.lha) to make it easier to install vs. manually copying the files from each contrib archive.

It's new files for C, DEVS, LIBS, etc.. to make Amithlon function better. New Audio device drivers and monitor files, etc.. all which should be installed.

It may not help with your issues but it's updates for Amithlon/Amiga OS which are not part of the kernel.
Old 01 December 2023, 10:47   #1769
dr.zeissler

https://aminet.net/package/misc/os/newkernel2

Is there anything more specific what (old) ATI cards are targeted on this one
and what ATI cards are supported/fully working on the old kernel/original kernel (ATY-1) Thx SNk I normally install the updates axl, bb2 and 131.
Old 01 December 2023, 22:18   #1770
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

I have no information on that kernels supported ATI cards.

If you do the updates axl, bb2 and 131 you have the contrib packs.
Old 02 December 2023, 09:27   #1771
dr.zeissler

Thx, yes the 131 readme/info (I don't remember exactly) mentioned that you can use the original kernel with it but it's supposed to use the newer kernel (newemubox) if you want to use the drivers from the contrib-packages. Would be nice to get an Imfo what additional hardware is supported if you can make use othe the newer kernel (newemubox) without switching to kernel3/4.

For these two particular machines (FSC Scovery 211/250) it makes no difference they both have an Issue with newer kernels and both ATI cards (RageIIc and RageLTPro ) that are onboard of these two do not fully work with the original kernel (only vesa works, ATY is detected but colors are broken and switching the modes does not work). I would go a step upwards (FSC ScoveryXS) if the i752 would be supported but the intel igp i815e does not work too, there is no framebuffer found even with dedicated AIMM module.

So I did what I always do...use the both PCI slots on these (211/250) to go for a mga-mystique and a SB128PCI. Still no ethernet and not a working USB driver so only making CD's is the way to transfer files. (beside that I should look if I can manage to use drive d: on the machine. They both have that partition and it's fat32 formated and has all the games/data for the win95 installation.

Beside the base install and figuring out video/audio and some 68K/rtg demoscene stuff that does not require AGA commands I do not have anything installed yet (on either of these machines). I tested BOOM once but the screen is broken, donÄt know why that is. The gfx look disorted and only half hight. Perhaps a Problem with the modeswitching. I have to look that up too..

Edit: Somebody did some testing on different hardware, but I can't find a way to get the information beside reading the topics. To bad would be nice to read what's the deal with RAGE II https://web.archive.org/web/20161007....hu/rollandcg/

Last edited by dr.zeissler; 02 December 2023 at 09:44.
Old 09 December 2023, 11:38   #1772
dr.zeissler

I put a SB-Live EMU10K PCI Card in my FSC-E600. I have everything installed including the AHI6 Update. I see UNIT-0 Amithlon and also the EMU10K entries. What do I have to check if I have no sound-output in amithon?

I use newemubox, do I have to switch to kernel 310 or kernel4 in order to get the SBLIVE working in amithlon? PCIINSMOD shows the soundcard.
Old 26 December 2023, 11:46   #1773
dr.zeissler

I took out the EMU10K soundcard because it died not work very good. Sound was mostly distorted and very buggy. I must have chosen the wrong sblive...there are some different models. I put back the SB128 in that machine. That runs fine fo most of the stuff.

now I will go back and test the old ATI cards again. (Rage Series)
Old 28 December 2023, 13:24   #1774
dr.zeissler

How can I figure out why bernies newkernel does not work on a machine, the original Kernel works? I don't see anything in the "console4"?

Background:
The machine has either RageIIc or RageLTpro onboard. Both currently have mga-mystique, but I would love to use the internal Onboard GPU. On both machines only the original kernel works, so no later (and therefore ATI patched) kernel works. I would love to figure out what the problem with the later kernels is on these old retro-machines.
Old 12 January 2024, 19:58   #1775
dr.zeissler

When booting amithlon with newer kernels on that K6-350, they all give me blinking keyboard-lights and no console output.
What does blinking lights indicate on amithlon startup? (the original kernel works with matrox (video=matrox+video=dovesa for mystique => "matrox-1") and for RageIIc (Video=dovesa => "VESA-1").
Old 12 January 2024, 22:11   #1776
cloverskull

I’ve seen videos of people using OS 3.2, running CaffeineOS, running ClassicWorkbench…are there any guides for doing this?
Old 28 February 2024, 11:47   #1777
Hailstorm

Something I've noticed and I think some people bump into.
The blinking lights and garbage on screen. Although it's described in the guides from snkbitten. Get Amithlon working first on Kernel 3, do the patches and then switch to kernel 4. There was no way I could get my setup running before those steps.

I'm currently bumping my head into a lot of old issues. like an IDE jumper that had to be set to master (single) on the drive, that somehow I was never aware of existed as a jumper on an IDE drive.

I have a question tho. I went with a supported motherboard. Seeing the A8N SLI SE having all the support I want (IDE/SATA/LAN/Audio) I'm hitting a roadblock.
Is Kernel3 and 4 supported? I've been going back and forth with the kernels and I'm now stuck on Ethernet with Kernel3. With Genesis. I can select the network card, I can attach ip and all the settings can I can bring it 'online'. But I can't ping it and it doesn't seem to have Internetconnectivity either. No luck synching NTP. It's almost like the driver isn't quite right? I've also set it up on roadshow, but the same effect there.
I've tried the NF kernel and 310 so far.
USB works tho, that was an easy one. Part of the reason I started on Amithlon were the issues I had to get the Subway2021 card working on my A1200 to get proper USB.
Old 01 March 2024, 16:40   #1778
Hailstorm

Fixed Nforce Ethernet

I went back to kernel4 and started fiddling about:

It seems as pciinsmod returned an error on: pcidrivers/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.o
That module wouldn't load. So I removed it from s:\pci_modules
Next time i loaded pciinsmod it continued and loaded forcedeth.o

All good now. Networking with Genesis works. USB works. Guess next step is the onboard Audio. good thing we have rainy days
Old 07 April 2024, 12:55   #1779
Falke_34

A benchmark comparison of different graphics cards

Old 07 April 2024, 13:29   #1780
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Telling us what? Looks to me like the ti4200 is better (Radeon has no 3d doesn't it??)