johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

Thanks Jens
Old 13 November 2012, 13:41   #1762
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
I've found an important timing parameter that only DVI screens seem to watch - and this parameter is violated by the current core. I did a quick move of that timing parameter yesterday (during yet another development session of the config tool) and got each and every DVI screen to display a picture, even with weird resolutions and frequencies.

I'll publish an intermediate core and config-binary later this week, so you can all test this at home.

Jens
Great, great
Old 13 November 2012, 20:48   #1763
PulsatingQuasar

Sounds great. Looking forward to the core.
Old 13 November 2012, 23:50   #1764
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
I'll publish an intermediate core and config-binary later this week, so you can all test this at home.

Jens
Cool, can't wait

Can we hope for HDMI support with this fix?
Old 14 November 2012, 21:34   #1765
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Here's a preview for pixel-exact 1280x1024@60Hz output (63kHz line frequency, just under 108MHz pixelclock). CAUTION: Only PAL, NTSC and XTREME screenmodes are supported by this core!

Overscan is cut off with this core. Even some "regular pixels" are missing, and the picture position isn't perfect either. The most important thing is that this core controls each pixel without stretching/scaling if you have a 1280x1024 screen (that's the size that happens to be my most piccy TFT display timing-wise).

Everyone of you should be able to verify proper operation of his/her hardware with this core. Meanwhile, we continue work on the configtool, which is NOT in this archive. This is just a core-preview!

The name B15 is derived from the pixelclock that this core uses. B is the divisor 2, and 15 is the clock multiplier. The base frequency is half the SHires pixelclock of the Amiga, which is 14,31818MHz on an NTSC machine. This results in an exact pixelclock of 14,31818*15/2=107,39 MHz. On a PAL machine, you will get 106.4MHz, which is still close enough to the recommended 108MHz for the standard Vesa screenmode of 1280x1024.

We'll continue working on this, and work will make much faster progress now that the core loads it's configuration from flash. Before this, I had to enter fixed values in the source code and do a re-compile for every tiny bit that I wanted to try on sync-length, padding-pixels and output sizes. These values are loaded from the config-area now, and most of the values are interpreted correctly by this core. Yep, there's still bugs, so for trying new values, we have to mind a few funny rules that I won't even document. That time is better spent debugging ;-)

Jens

Last edited by Schoenfeld; 20 August 2013 at 22:43.
Old 14 November 2012, 23:32   #1766
NovaCoder

Cool, I'll try it when I get home
Old 14 November 2012, 23:53   #1767
d0pefish

Working over here on my NEC 1990SXi, which is 1280x1024 native.

PAL Hi-Res:

PAL Hi-Res Laced:

There's garbage on the lower half of the screen which sometimes contains parts of the display after switching screenmode, but I'm guessing this is intentional in this preview.

Also there are appear to be scanlines on the non-laced PAL display - intentional to aid you counting lines in your debugging?

Nice to see progress - thankyou Jens!
Old 15 November 2012, 09:19   #1768
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0pefish View Post
There's garbage on the lower half of the screen which sometimes contains parts of the display after switching screenmode, but I'm guessing this is intentional in this preview.
Not really intentional, but it's an effect of the settings: The output settings *should* be set to values where only those parts of memory are displayed that are actually written to on the input side. That's not the case with this config.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0pefish View Post
Also there are appear to be scanlines on the non-laced PAL display - intentional to aid you counting lines in your debugging?
Intentional, as you can read in the readme file. The scanline emulation is set to 75% brightness for non-laced screenmodes.

Jens
Old 15 November 2012, 19:38   #1769
Art

I use Classic Workbench ADVSP (A1200, Blizzard 030/50, CF 4gb, Indi Mk2)
Can somebody please explain why do I get a black screen when I use HighGFX 1024x768 ? I use DVI to DVI connection. I only get black screen when I open larger windows with a lot of folders (games) then I need to reset the power supply. In PAL High Res Laced it works perfectly, no crashes. Also, when I launch games, they seem to "switch" form full screen workbench to a smaller windowed type. Will I be able to correct this with the config tool ?

When I use DVI to RGB connector I get full screen workbench with HighGFX 1024x768 and when I launch games they are full screen too but with vertical stripes! Hmmmm.... when I open larger windows in workbench then I get all kinds of corruptions but no black screen.

I am using this monitor: LG M227WDP Flatron
http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-M227WDP-tv-monitor

Thanks for replies,
Art
Old 15 November 2012, 20:30   #1770
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Can somebody please explain why do I get a black screen when I use HighGFX 1024x768 ?
That's because the preview I have published yesterday only supports XTREME, PAL and NTSC. HighGFX is not supported, as you can read in the posting and in the readme-file.

Jens
Old 16 November 2012, 10:43   #1771
paulo_becas

Hmmmm.... Sorry to ask but where can i find the flash tool
Old 16 November 2012, 11:12   #1772
DonAmiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo_becas View Post
Hmmmm.... Sorry to ask but where can i find the flash tool

You can download it from Jens site http://www.jschoenfeld.com/products/...IvMK2flash.lha
Old 16 November 2012, 11:35   #1773
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Flashtool is in the archive, together with the preview.

Jens
Old 16 November 2012, 11:52   #1774
paulo_becas

Thanks
Old 16 November 2012, 19:46   #1775
amigarobbo

Installed it last night, all 'working' as described above, ie the half screen, with the lower half of garbage.

Still seems to have some light banding/wavy lines as before. But does seem to be much improved.

Also where is this "xtreme" graphics driver thingy?

Looking forward to the next release.

Last edited by amigarobbo; 16 November 2012 at 22:50.
Old 17 November 2012, 00:14   #1776
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigarobbo View Post
Also where is this "xtreme" graphics driver thingy?
http://www.a1k.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31827
Old 17 November 2012, 13:38   #1777
amigarobbo

Got it thanks, It's a .ZIP not LHA file renamed for some reason as .pdf at that link. The Monitor icon file needs to be set to executable for it to automount.

Right, now after all that, it looks nice on all settings, but the screen extends down about 1/3 of screen hidden at the bottom, and I can't get to it, Autoscroll ticked or unticked makes no difference.

I'm using a LG Flatron l1715S which a 17" 1240x 1024 standard

Edited to add; The too tall screen is only on the Xtreme High, and Superhigh INTERLACED screens, the normal ones are fine. And the Bottom screen of rubbish isn't on anything with Xtreme.

Last edited by amigarobbo; 17 November 2012 at 13:45.
Old 18 November 2012, 22:37   #1778
amigarobbo

Bloomin' typical, finally get a nice workbench screen with decent resolution and me blinking LG monitior finally dies on me.

Looks like I'll have to get one of those Widescreen DVI monitors... More expense...
Old 19 November 2012, 02:01   #1779
hall

Thought I'd share my experiences with the latest core preview.

For the first time I'm able to get an image at all over DVI, so that's good. However, some graphical glitches appear on screen within 30-60 seconds from power-on. They are visible mainly on the right click menus. It happens on both PAL and NTSC screenmodes, interlaced and non-interlaced. Reboot and all is fine for another 30-60 seconds. A reflash of the (same) core also made the glitches go away briefly. These glitches are only visible through the Indivision, native video is fine. Tried another monitor aswell with the same result.

Also, I can't get the XTREME screenmode to work. What happens is the monitor acts like it did with all screenmodes on the previous cores; The little OSD box that tells me I'm on the digital/DVI input keeps flashing on and off (not the out of sync-message). The monitor is a ViewSonic VP191b (1280x1024, 60Hz recommended).

On a brighter note I must also say I'm completely blown away by the image quality! Far better than my Indivision AGA mkI, and the scanline emulation looks very nice IMO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	glitch1.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	33225   Click image for larger version

Name:	glitch2.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	33226  
Old 19 November 2012, 08:29   #1780
Chain
A-Collector, repairments

Send a message via ICQ to Chain
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall View Post
Also, I can't get the XTREME screenmode to work. What happens is the monitor acts like it did with all screenmodes on the previous cores;
"That's because the preview I have published yesterday only supports XTREME, PAL and NTSC. HighGFX is not supported..."