English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 28 November 2016, 19:37   #1641
roondar

IIRC Rygar uses a rotated 4:3 screen in the Arcade (giving it a 3:4 play field). Achieving the same ratio on the Amiga either means using the original resolution and accepting black bars, or scaling up to 320x280 (multiply both sides by 1.25) and redrawing all graphics to fit the new size.

Personally, I think 256x224 is the better option. If only because any other option either doesn't fit the screen ratio of the arcade (f.ex. showing too much of the level), or entails recreating all graphics in the game.
Old 28 November 2016, 20:44   #1642
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Rygar uses a standard 4:3 screen

The 256 pixels wide on the coin-op are stretched to the full width of the screen, and the 224 pixels high are also stretched vertically IIRC... so the pixel aspect ratio is still approximately square (certainly not megastretched in the x)

Doing the amiga version at 256x224 is correct... pixel for pixel it will be accurate
Old 28 November 2016, 22:07   #1643
sandruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
Dunno if it makes any difference, but I ran the game from a Gotek. I don't think it should. I had tested a previous version a few months ago and it worked.

Just out of curiosity, since I lost track in all the discussion. Is the main character done with HW sprites, or is it blitted ?

How many sprites are you using for the parallax backdrop ?
Rygar is made by bob. I'm using all the 8 sprites for parallax, and they are multiplexed one time
Old 29 November 2016, 00:22   #1644
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandruzzo View Post
Rygar is made by bob. I'm using all the 8 sprites for parallax, and they are multiplexed one time

Ok, that's nice. This means you can do all layers of parallax with the sun backdrop using just sprites

The sun without the mountain shadows doesn't have the same impact
Old 29 November 2016, 01:25   #1645
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanScott View Post

The 256 pixels wide on the coin-op are stretched to the full width of the screen, and the 224 pixels high are also stretched vertically IIRC... so the pixel aspect ratio is still approximately square (certainly not megastretched in the x)

Doing the amiga version at 256x224 is correct... pixel for pixel it will be accurate
Thanks
Old 29 November 2016, 08:26   #1646
Amigajay

Quote:

This is what I was trying to ask in another thread, it seems console games with low resolutions I.e snes (also 256x224) have their games stretched to fill a tv screen, can't the Amiga do the same? I know cdxl video can be doubled vertically via the copper after conversion, obviously Games would be using the copper, how does the snes do it?
Old 29 November 2016, 09:09   #1647
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
This is what I was trying to ask in another thread, it seems console games with low resolutions I.e snes (also 256x224) have their games stretched to fill a tv screen, can't the Amiga do the same? I know cdxl video can be doubled vertically via the copper after conversion, obviously Games would be using the copper, how does the snes do it?
It's down to the hardware that generates the video output signal.

Unfortunately, you don't have much control over that on the Amiga, and you are stuck with 320 x resolution (or 640 in medium resolution). There is no way in hardware to scale the video output (how cool that would have been if it was possible )
Old 29 November 2016, 09:23   #1648
Amigajay

Quote:
It's down to the hardware that generates the video output signal.

Unfortunately, you don't have much control over that on the Amiga, and you are stuck with 320 x resolution (or 640 in medium resolution). There is no way in hardware to scale the video output (how cool that would have been if it was possible )
Ok cheers that's all i wanted to know.

Yes it would be very good to have many more full screen games, annoying especially nowadays when games get compared, even though the Amiga is often has the best graphics and best sound and higher resolution, all the kids and uneducated reviewers say youtube is, "but the Megadrive/Snes one is full screen and the Amiga has massive borders it must be worse!"
Old 29 November 2016, 10:05   #1649
sandruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
Ok, that's nice. This means you can do all layers of parallax with the sun backdrop using just sprites

The sun without the mountain shadows doesn't have the same impact
We'll do our best to have it!
Old 29 November 2016, 10:06   #1650
sandruzzo

Quote:
That's mean: if we use the same respolution for Amigas' ports we can have a lot of colors on screen and 50 hz games
Old 29 November 2016, 10:57   #1651
Amigajay

Quote:
That's mean: if we use the same respolution for Amigas' ports we can have a lot of colors on screen and 50 hz games
Yeah but they will still have borders, even old Atari systems with resolutions in the 100's fill the screen because the hardware can stretch to fill the screen, i think it was a big oversight not to have this, especially on the gaming models A500, A1200 etc with TV modulators.
Old 29 November 2016, 10:58   #1652
sandruzzo

Quote:
Yeah but they will still have borders, even old Atari systems with resolutions in the 100's fill the screen because the hardware can stretch to fill the screen, i think it was a big oversight not to have this, especially on the gaming models A500, A1200 etc with TV modulators.
We have this, we have to work with our powerfull Amiga.
Old 29 November 2016, 11:38   #1653
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

I wonder if a device could be made that sits between the modulator and the TV, allowing the user to stretch the vertical and horizontal sizes?
Old 29 November 2016, 17:34   #1654
sandruzzo

Added New version with Head at the end of time, with music! Some bugs gone
Old 29 November 2016, 18:44   #1655
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Good job!
Old 29 November 2016, 18:45   #1656
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

two notes on the head aka death:
countdown in the arcade starts 10 seconds before 0 and (i guess is in progress) death has a changing sinusoidal pattern; beside that i have the feeling that the collision map of the floor is misplaced, can you check it?
Old 29 November 2016, 18:59   #1657
sandruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
two notes on the head aka death:
countdown in the arcade starts 10 seconds before 0 and (i guess is in progress) death has a changing sinusoidal pattern; beside that i have the feeling that the collision map of the floor is misplaced, can you check it?
Collision map is of the floor is ok, Just rygar position. i have to start countdown only for a few second before 0, because music is too short
Old 29 November 2016, 19:13   #1658
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
what are the news on rygar lately Sandruzzo ?
Old 29 November 2016, 19:55   #1659
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Nice work sandruzzo, I see that you've fixed the "running, jump, move back / forth in the air, change direction"

Here are a few small things that I'm sure you're aware of

... When entering the end of level room, after moving the 1st statue Rygar is too far right so obvious gap. When exiting after moving the 2nd statue Rygar is perfect:

... When in the end of level room Rygar probably needs to move a fraction right so that equal amounts of the left / right statues are visible:

... The bug with standing on a branch in mid air is still there.
Old 29 November 2016, 20:42   #1660
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Ah, forgot: when death appears parallax background in the arcade fade to black - is technically feasible for us too?