English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 11 June 2016, 13:30   #1621
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

Interesting behaviour. A project icon, when has the same name as a directory in the same folder is reported back as a drawer icon but it is not physically one until it is snapshoted, then it is converted to a real drawer icon.

A feature of PK's icon lib that fixes potential problems and 'broken' malformed icons.
Old 11 June 2016, 16:17   #1622
Pancio

thank you for quick response

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
As long as a directory with the same name already exists my icon.library forces the icon type to folder. You can only change the type to project if you define the default tool entry before saving the icon. Or in all other cases, use a filesystem browser like DOpus4 and segregate the info file from the directory with the same name.
your solution works for me, but ...
i have like intire folder of programs. all of them have the same icon names as their folders, all of them starts programs which are inside those folders. problem is, when i even simply snapshot position of those icons, all of them turn into the folder icons.
i think i have to go back to making the startup file for each program, and change the folder names to "FileMasterDir" or something so its different then the name of my program starting icon.

anyway, thank you for bringing me back to earth
Old 11 June 2016, 16:43   #1623
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

Pancio, I think what you are doing is a bit braking the amiga laws, we can't have a file name and a directory name with same name in one directory.
Old 11 June 2016, 16:50   #1624
PeterK

@Pacio
In case the icon types have already been set automacially to drawer you can still use Icon Information and change their type back to project, enter the default tool and then finally save the icon to disk. Just don't save before entering the default tool.

@Michael
Thanks for your assistance, but I would say that only a tool and a directory with the same name are pretty pointless.

Last edited by PeterK; 11 June 2016 at 17:09.
Old 11 June 2016, 21:37   #1625
Pancio

Quote:
@Pacio
In case the icon types have already been set automacially to drawer you can still use Icon Information and change their type back to project, enter the default tool and then finally save the icon to disk. Just don't save before entering the default tool.
sounds simple but i have entire drawer filled with those project icons

i would like to better understand why you decide to let your library set icons to drawer type automaticly. it is because of the security metter ? or stability, compatibility or something else. the default icon.library (made by commodore team themselfs) allowed me to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Pancio, I think what you are doing is a bit braking the amiga laws, we can't have a file name and a directory name with same name in one directory.
yes i know we cant, and the name is not the same, drawer name is for example "FileMaster" and the file name is "FileMaster.info" so for the OS those are two different things, but for Peters library is the same

Last edited by Pancio; 11 June 2016 at 23:22.
Old 12 June 2016, 01:30   #1626
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancio View Post
...i would like to better understand why you decide to let your library set icons to drawer type automaticly. it is because of the security metter ? or stability, compatibility or something else.
That's the way I like it, ... aha, aha aha ...
Old 12 June 2016, 03:39   #1627
Pancio

Quote:
That's the way I like it, ... aha, aha aha ...
simple hehehe
Old 12 June 2016, 04:39   #1628
Pancio

is there any chance you disable "forcing creation drawer icon while the same named folder exist" in the future releases of your icon lib ?
Old 13 June 2016, 15:51   #1629
PeterK

Please be a bit patient, there's always a chance ...
since I can't hold out crying or weeping users at all,
I may give up my likes and you will soon get what you want!

Last edited by PeterK; 13 June 2016 at 17:30.
Old 14 June 2016, 16:41   #1630
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

I think a table of hex code mods for library options would be nice, and later turn them into a pref prog ;-) (eg. CacheCDFS also saves settings to it's exe)
Old 14 June 2016, 18:29   #1631
Pancio

so, i was testing a little bit and i managed to create a project icon (with the same name as a drawer) which do not changing its features (turning back into drawer icon) after snapshoting its position. it basicly finally behaving like a normal icon which i can change (drawer, dist, project .. blablabla) anytime i want.

i did this:
normally when i changed drawer icon into project icon and then saved it, icon turn back into drawer icon anyway (your automatin drawer icon setter) but then again i've tryied to change the type of an icon. in information window i've changed the type of an icon to project. i've noticed it is selected (the black dot on the left side of a selected type appear). then i've click again "project" (the black dot disappear so it was looking like nothing is selected). then i've saved my icon and suprisely it do not change its type, also after snapshoting its position its stays as a project icon.

whoo, i hope you understand
anyway im happy to found a solution for my little problem, because i can not imagine using other icon.library then yours

cheers
Old 14 June 2016, 18:56   #1632
PeterK

Just tried out your "solution", and yes, it also works here with RAWBInfo, because RAWBInfo automatically sets "Multiview" to be the default tool if nothing else is already defined.

But I don't know which WBInfo replacement you are using?
Old 14 June 2016, 19:55   #1633
Pancio

i am not using rawbinfo
i started to do my new workbench from the scratch (since the latest and the greatest winuae appears) and the main OS'es from which im taking an ideas for the features for my workbench are amikit and amisys4. for sure im not using an rawwbinfo, but i have now like a lot system enchancement installed (like dopus5, mui, reqattack, visualprefs, birdie, magicmenu etc) and i dont really know which could be an replacement for wbinfo (im an amiga lover since ever, but im also a noob who must learn everything from the begining ). anyway, meaby i do not have an repleacement and just using this buldin wbinfo, i've searched the startup and user sequences and did not found anything about it. my version is WBInfo 45.1 (07.03.01).

(my english is horrible)
Old 15 June 2016, 21:09   #1634
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

Show us a screenshot of the wbinfo, we will guess it ;-)
Old 16 June 2016, 00:57   #1635
PeterK

@Michael
That was the WBInfo of DOpus5.

Update to icon.library 46.4.432:

Project icons will no longer be converted into drawer icons if a directory with the same name already exists.
Old 16 June 2016, 22:31   #1636
Pancio

ha, you are great

and yes, im using wbinfo from dopus 5.
many thx for help to all of you
greatings
Old 16 June 2016, 22:37   #1637
Amiga1992

Hi PEter, long time no talk!

I have run into this situation and was wondering what is going on. Maybe nothing to do with the library, but I have to check.

So, I have on my system this set of NewIcons I installed al ong time ago. I'm not sure which they are, so I can't help there

The problem is they look great UNTIL I use FullPalette.
Here's how it looks without it:

My original icons are the ones on the bottom left. Some GlowIcons (are these AmigaOS 3.9 icons?) shown on top right. Then some MagicWB icons bottom right.

Now notice what happens with my original system icons when I use FullPalette:

What in the hell is going on? Any ideas? The glowIcons look quite acceptable in both situations, but the NewIcons turn into a mush.

I'm using version 46.4.427 of your library.
Thanks for your awesome work!

[edit] Now I touched the 4th color and re-saved it as the default AmigaOS light blue, and I get this:

So I guess it has to do with my palette? Any recommended palette I Should use? This is my current palette, which I believe is Rebel's palette:

Last edited by Amiga1992; 16 June 2016 at 22:44.
Old 17 June 2016, 16:10   #1638
PeterK

Try the FullPalette.prefs file that is included in my Aminet package.
Old 18 June 2016, 01:53   #1639
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Yep, there is a problem with the Blue color and Rebel's palette:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Just to tell my opinion: Rebel's palette is very nice, but it doesn't treat well the blue color (just in my humble opinion). I thought that when using Ken's icons. By then I asked PeterK about it and he made IMHO a better palette, the one I use in AKReal.

You can find it included in his icon.library in Aminet inside ThirdParty, FullPalette: http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/IconLib_46.4

The file has the FPprefs. If you later need to obtain the palette you can grab a SGrab image of the FPprefs palette image and save it as a palette for example for ImageStudio or also use it as a palette for the online PC program Retro Image Tool: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...7&postcount=37

Edit: In this photo I've got remapped the wallpaper and the skin of AmigaAmp. I'm using here only 16 colors:

Edit: You can see what I say about the blue color in this -VERY interesting- photo of Mfilos:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...lettesComp.png

Last edited by Retrofan; 18 June 2016 at 02:05.
Old 21 June 2016, 21:35   #1640
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

@Rerrofan

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...lettesComp.png

Interesting, why MWB 8C and MWB 16C differ so much, and where did MWB 16C come from ? MWB only used 8C, in sightly different formats and tones until MWB 2.0 fixed it.