English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 15 April 2023, 00:39   #1621
Havie

For the first time in a while, have a complete set of answers! Not sure they are all right but in the end the clues were very helpful. No. 18 was particularly tricky...
Old 15 April 2023, 05:09   #1622
Nobby_UK

18 and 25 are the ones I have no idea on.
Old 17 April 2023, 12:02   #1623
Mr_Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby_UK View Post
Some have 2 possibles (...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havie View Post
One debate the Havies are having is if the game comes from a remake collection, do you need the name of the collection or the name of the game?
If there are remakes (or reuse of the same gameplay) that look identical, both the remake and the original will be accepted as correct.

Let me reveal one clue that I meant only to give on this friday: There is no "Super Mario Maker" in this round!

Quote:
18 and 25 are the ones I have no idea on.
Number 18 is the 3rd hardest entry of this round... and the 2nd and 1st are in the bottom row, as usual.
Old 17 April 2023, 12:28   #1624
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

#9 is the hardest for me so far. I don't even recognise the graphical style.
Old 17 April 2023, 19:30   #1625
Nobby_UK

Quote:
4) Each row shows five different systems
Well I see a GB Advanced game next to some GB Boxart ???
Old 17 April 2023, 19:41   #1626
Havie

Quote:
Well I see a GB Advanced game next to some GB Boxart ???
But a GBA is a different system from a GB is it not (I know the GBA is backwardsly compatible)?
Old 17 April 2023, 19:48   #1627
Nobby_UK

And a Wii with a Wii U --- Same deal I suppose ?
Old 17 April 2023, 20:25   #1628
Havie

Quote:
And a Wii with a Wii U --- Same deal I suppose ?
Controversial! Although a Wii-U is much better than a Wii.

Would an A500 be the same system as an A1200?

Retro philosophy...
Old 17 April 2023, 20:43   #1629
Nobby_UK

No ?
But a Plus or 600 could be argued

There is one I found as a GB but the pic has colour ---
So I'm assuming it's a GB game on an Advanced,
which adds colour ?
Old 18 April 2023, 08:31   #1630
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
There is one I found as a GB but the pic has colour ---
So I'm assuming it's a GB game on an Advanced,
which adds colour ?
More likely it's a GameBoy Color which looks pretty much the same as the original GameBoy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Boy_Color
Old 18 April 2023, 11:10   #1631
Mr_Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havie View Post
Controversial! Although a Wii-U is much better than a Wii. Would an A500 be the same system as an A1200?

Retro philosophy...
I don't think there's a lot of philosophy when it comes to console hardware.

To me, backwards compatibility doesn't change that it's a different system. When in doubt, take the perspective of the older device.

Can a Game Boy play GBA games?
Can a Wii play a Wii U game?

No, because they are different systems (even though they have similar names).

Can an ECS Amiga play an AGA Amiga game? No, but... yea maybe there's some philosophy here after all.
Old 18 April 2023, 18:52   #1632
Nobby_UK

3 SNES ?
Found None ---
but I do have 2 NES ?
Old 22 April 2023, 13:39   #1633
Mr_Horizon

April Quiz - Clues #2

It's a me, your clue post! ^_^ Sixty people are in, and twenty of them have seen the new Super Mario movie. Did any of you also go to the cinema for the old one from the 90s? I should have asked that too, such a missed opportunity...oh well.
You have to participate before the end of next week, there are only a few days left until this round is over.

Here are the last clues:

1) Three of the pictures are not actual gameplay, but instead show the cover of the game.
2) You won't find any of the "Super Mario Maker" games in this round.
3) Game 14 is the only 3DS title in this quiz, both Mario and his brother are playable.
4) Number 18 shows Mario in a puzzle game, but Luigi is nowhere to be seen in this title.

And guys, BE PRECISE: It needs to be the exact name. I know I said that there'd be "mercy points" if enough people make the same mistake, but this got more complicated than I expected and now I'M TAKING IT BACK. To compensate, I'll give you the following as a fifth clue:

5) In the following games, well over ten people miss their point because they are just a bit off: 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 11, 15.... plus one from the last row. Are you sure you are precise enough everywhere?

Deadline is Sunday 30 April, enter via http://www.retrogamequiz.com/

Here's the quiz again, we are on the last days: https://i.imgur.com/C6fQpQI.png
Old 22 April 2023, 19:45   #1634
Havie

Will have to go back and have a really carefully look! Found the one in the bottom row I think...
Old 22 April 2023, 23:44   #1635
Nobby_UK

Finally Entered:

2 = No Idea !
2 = Maybe
2 = Not 100 %

Last edited by Nobby_UK; 26 April 2023 at 00:55.
Old 26 April 2023, 20:28   #1636
Havie

Updated one answer to make it more specific - what ameany you are this month!!!
Old 29 April 2023, 00:53   #1637
Mr_Horizon

April Quiz - this round ends soon!

An urgent message from the Mushroom Kingdom: LETS-A-GO, the fun will be over this Sunday! o_o
Almost 100 players (three from here) have already sent in their (hopefully totally accurate?) answers, it seems like the scoreboards hold all results between ZERO and ALL points. Exciting!

So CFOU!, darkwave, gimbal ...how about it?

Hurry up, the deadline is this Sunday, 30th of April, participation via http://www.retrogamequiz.com/.

Here is the quiz one last time: https://i.imgur.com/C6fQpQI.png
Old 29 April 2023, 21:19   #1638
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Ugh. I no longer like Mario.
Old 03 May 2023, 12:24   #1639
Mr_Horizon

April Quiz - Answers & Score

Oh dear, you're going to hate me for these results! Well over 500 entries resulted in no points, as it had to be the exact title of the game this round. Despite such a strict rule, a whole dozen of players managed to score full points. Impressive!

Briefly on the poll: 55% vote for a sound quiz, 45% against it... that's damn close to a 50/50 and not distinct enough for me to make the effort. Maybe there will be some kind of SoundFX bonus round.

The new Super Mario Bros movie has been seen by 31% of all voters, and only 2% of them (3 votes) didn't like it. 25% don't want to see it in the first place, and the remaining 44% still plan to watch it eventually.

But now it's time to start with the results... first the names of the games as text, then the pictures, then the high score.

1) Super Mario Galaxy
The first part of Super Mario Galaxy is the only title of this round that achieved more than 90% solution rate.
Answer rate: 93%
Other suggestions: 5x Super Mario Galaxy 2, Super Mario 3D World, Super Mario All Stars, Super Mario Odyssey, Super Smash Bros

2) Paper Mario: Origami King.
That's a "Paper" Mario alright.... but the clues also revealed that it's a Switch title, so only the Origami King gets the point!
Answer rate: 73%
Other suggestions: 17x Paper Mario: Color Splash, 14x Paper Mario, Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Paper Mario 2, Super Paper Mario, Mario Party

3) Super Smash Bros Melee
Which Smash Bros is on the Gamecube? That's right: "Melee"
Answer rate: 69%
Other suggestions: 16x Super Smash Bros, 12x Super Smash Bros Ultimate, 7x Super Smash Bros Brawl, 4x Smash Bros, Super Mario Odyssey

4) Mario Party 2
Here you can see the mini-game "Mecha Marathon". This is available in one Mario Party each on the Switch, the 3DS and the N64.
However, the image detail shows the very blocky graphics of the N64, which is why it has to be "Mario Party 2".
Answer rate: 61%
Other suggestions: 32x Mario Party, 8x Mario Party 3, Mario Party 4, Mario Party 64, Super Mario Party, Mario Party Superstars, Mario Kart, Mario Kart 64, Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games

5) Super Mario Land 2: 6 golden coins
Answer rate: 88%
Other suggestions: 6x Super Mario Land, Mario Brothers Deluxe, Mario's Picross

6) Dr.Mario 64
Quite a few of you will be annoyed, because without the "64" you don't get the point. ^_-
Answer rate: 73%
Other suggestions: 32x Dr Mario, Tetris & Dr Mario, Dr Mario Puzzle League, Dr Mario x Tetris

7) Mario Bros
No, not the jump'n'run "Super Mario Bros". This is the arcade original "Mario Bros".
Answer rate: 84%
Other suggestions: Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros 2, Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario Bros 3 Battle Game, Mario Bros 3

8.) Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope
Rabbids, that's right! But the second part.
Answer rate: 65%
Other suggestions: 13x Mario & Rabbids Kingdom Battle, 9x Mario & Rabbids, 7x Super Mario Odyssey, Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Galaxy, Mario Galaxy 2

9) Mario Strikers Charged
Football with Mario, here's the UK cover of the Wii version! Do you want the point? You can only get it with "charged".
Answer rate: 67%
Other suggestions: 13x Super Mario Strikers, 10x Mario Strikers Battle League Football, 9x Mario Strikers, Super Smash Football, Mario Smash Football, Mario Soccer, Wario World

10) Super Mario 3D World
Answer rate: 63%
Other suggestions: 6x Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, 5x Mario & Luigi, Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, Mario & Luigi: Bowers Inside Story, Mario Bros, Mario Galaxy, New Super Mario Bros, New Super Mario Bros U, New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe, Super Mario 3D Land, Luigi's Mansion 3

11) Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Mario Kart 8 is a good game for the Wii U. Pictured here, however, is Mario Kart 8 DELUXE for the Switch. You can tell by all the extra characters.
Answer rate: 59%
Other suggestions: 34x Mario Kart 8, 5x Mario Kart, 4x Super Mario Kart 8, Super Mario Maker, Nintendo Land, Animal Crossing

12) Luigi's Mansion
The end of the very first Luigi's Mansion, Mario is no longer locked in the picture frame.
Answer rate: 59%
Other suggestions: 5x Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Odyssey, Luigi's Mansion 3, Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, Mario 64 DS, Mario Party 4, Mario Sunshine, Super Mario 64, Captain Toad

13) Mario Clash
Yes, that's right, a Mario for the Virtua Boy. I wonder what it was called...?
Answer rate: 78%
Other suggestions: Virtual Boy Wario Land, Mario's Tennis, Mario bros virtual boy, Mario Virtual, Virtual Boy Mario, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, Super Mario RPG, Super Paper Mario

14) Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
There are quite a few Mario & Luigi games out there. But on the 3DS, with this background & side characters? That's just Dream Team.
Answer rate: 44%
Other suggestions: 10x Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, 8x Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam Bros, Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam, Mario and Luigi, Super Mario RPG, Mario Bros, Mario Golf Advanced Tour, Mario Party, Mario Party 3, Mario Party 7, Mario Party Advance, Mario Party Island Tour, Mario Party Top 100, Mario Superstar Baseball, New Super Mario Bros DS, Super Mario 3D World, Super Mario Bros 2, Super Mario RPG

15) Mario's Early Years! Fun with Numbers
Released on SNES and DOS, the only "edutainment game" of this round.
Solving rate: 39%
Other suggestions: 18x Mario's Time Machine, 14x Hotel Mario, 8x Mario is Missing, 4x Mario Teaches Typing, Mario Teaches Typing 2, Mario Elevator, Mario Maker, Mario Time Machine, Mario World, Mario's Early Years: Preschool Fun, Mario's Game Gallery, Mario's Arithmetic Skills, Super Mario Advance, Super Mario All Stars, Super Mario Maker, Super Mario RPG, Game and Watch 4

16) DDR: Mario Mix
Whether DDR or Dancing Stage, together with "Mario" you get a point.
Answer rate: 52%
Other suggestions: Dance Dance Revolution, Super Mario 64, Mario Sunshine, Mario Party, Mario Party 3, Mario Party 5, Mario Party 7, Mario Party 8, Mario Party DS, Mario Party: The Top 100, Mario & Luigi RPG, Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven

17) Pinball
Answer rate: 42%
Other suggestions: 14x Donkey Kong, 7x Wrecking Crew, 6x Donkey Kong Jr, 4x Mario Bros, Breakout, Cement Factory, Ice Climber, Mario vs. Donkey Kong, Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Odyssey, Super Marionoid

18) Yoshi's Cookie
Answer rate: 32%
Other suggestions: 12x Super Mario World, 5x Mario Teaches Typing, 4x Mario & Wario, Mario Teaches Typing 2, Super Mario All-Stars, Yoshi's Safari, Super Mario Bros Deluxe, Mario's Picross GB, Mario vs. Donkey Kong, Mario all stars, Game & Watch Gallery

19) WarioWare: Twisted!
Is that Super Mario Bros 3?! No, that didn't have local multiplayer! The picture shows a minigame from WarioWare Twisted or WarioWare Gold.
Answer rate: 29%
Other suggestions: 63x Super Mario Bros 3, 4x Super Mario Bros 2, 4x Super Mario Maker, Super Mario Maker 2, Super Mario World, Super Mario World 3, Vs. Super Mario Bros. 3, NES Remix 2, Nintendoland

20) Alleyway
Answer rate: 63%
Other suggestions: 8x Mario's Time Machine, Arkanoid, Breakout, Mario Paint, Super Mario Bros 2, Super Mario Galaxy 2

21) Mario & Sonic Winter Olympics
The Wii cover of one of the Mario & Sonic crossover games. This is about the WINTER Olympics, just "Mario & Sonic Olympics" is a different game.
Answer rate: 53%
Other suggestions: 5x Super Mario Odyssey, 4x Mario & Sonic at Olympic Games, Winter Olympics, Mario vs Sonic, Mario Golf!, Mario Sunshine, Mario Tennis Open, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Super Mario Run

22) Qix
Did the colours confuse you? ^_^ The picture shows a Gameboy game in the Super Game Boy.
Answer rate: 53%
Other suggestions: 6x Super Mario Odyssey, Game and Watch Gallery, Game & Watch Gallery 2, Super Mario Land, Super Mario Land 2, Super Mario Maker, Tetris, WarioWare, Warioland, Wild Western Mario, Mario Paint, Outlaw clone

23) WarioWare Inc.
Okay, that was a bit cheap: another WarioWare. But these just have such weird versions of Mario! The "Inc" was needed for the point here.
Answer rate: 37%
Other suggestions: 11x Warioware, 5x Mario Paint, Wario Ware Touched, WarioWare DIY, WarioWare Gold, WarioWare: Touched!, Wario Ware: Get It Together, Super Mario Bros. & Friends: When I Grow Up, Super Mario Land 2, Super Mario Maker, Rhythm Heaven, Electric Crayon 3

24) Mario Artist: Polygon Studio
Here it is, the toughest title of the round!
"Mario Artist" is just the series, so no points for that. "Paint Studio" has the RED M, "Talent Studio" has the GREEN M, the "Communication Kit" is GREY, and only "Mario Artist: POLYGON STUDIO" shows the blue M depicted in the quiz.
Answer rate: 17%
Other suggestions: 36x Mario Artist, 20x Mario Artist: Paint Studio, 4x Mario Artist: Talent Studio, Mario Artist: Communication Kit
13x Mario Paint, Mario Paint 64, Mario Picross, NEW Super Mario Bros Wii, mario kart 7, Super Mario Maker, Super Mario Odyssey, Super Noir-io Bros, Mario is Missing

25) Super Scope 6
In one of the Nintendo Light Gun games, Mario also appeared as a gimmick. Difficult!
Answer rate: 28%
Other suggestions: 4x Mario & Wario, Pilotwings, Super Mario Land, Super Mario Maker, Super Mario World, Super Mario World 2, Mario's Time Machine, Mario is Missing, Mario Maker, Mario Paint, Mario Tennis, mario vs donkey kong, Mario's Early Years! Fun with Numbers, Red baron, Super Mario Advance, Super Mario First Aid, Wario's Woods, Kaizo Mario

Here is the quiz image again, followed by the answers:

Answer image:

Direct link: https://i.imgur.com/DmCjHmk.png

HIGH SCORE TABLE

01 - 25 points - rtu - Antiriad2097
01 - 25 Points - cib - frozentiger
01 - 25 points - mnc - East West Elite
01 - 25 points - mnc - OfflineChris
01 - 25 points - rta - marek
01 - 25 points - rta - Illusionary
01 - 25 points - gpo - KHlover
01 - 25 points - gpo - DocMoody
01 - 25 points - spz - The_BACH
01 - 25 points - ata - jgkspsx
01 - 25 points - hcg - Son of Suzy Creamcheese
01 - 25 Points - rta - malus
13 - 24 points - ftg - rwklau
14 - 24 points - mmx - Ligiiihh
15 - 24 Points - mnc - Gerhard S.
16 - 24 points - gav - Yoshi
17 - 24 points - eab - Havie
18 - 24 points - rta - AuraPaladinne
19 - 24 points - mtc - Parsnip
20 - 24 points - rta - hamsterstyle

21 - 23 points - gms - hellermarie
22 - 23 points - rta - EarthPainting
23 - 23 points - gav - Wizdom
24 - 23 points - rta - jett
25 - 23 points - mnc - Mangamaniac2171
26 - 23 points - rpg - Calastellio
27 - 22 points - eab - Nobby_UK
28 - 22 points - mtc - Wibblewozzer
29 - 22 points - ftg - JuniorFE
30 - 22 points - nto - Ande
31 - 21 points - rta - Cow Mengde
32 - 21 points - mtc - Valdien
33 - 21 Points - ntl - charlix12323
34 - 21 points - ntl - dogorilla
35 - 20 points - gsg - partykiller
36 - 20 points - hcg - dsparil
37 - 20 points - rta - Nihilistic Monk
38 - 20 points - spz - Striderblade
39 - 20 points - wtd - jenoogle
40 - 19 points - hcg - personman
41 - 19 points - rkb - kirika1987
42 - 18 points - mmx - knuckles
43 - 18 points - rpg - fyrchtegott
44 - 18 points - hcg - excelsior
45 - 18 points - smu - Mr Shadow
46 - 18 points - pop - dixip
47 - 18 points - gpo - FireSmoke
48 - 17 points - mnc - Dream Team
49 - 17 points - rta - PsionBolt
50 - 17 points - rta - Blufunk
51 - 17 points - hcg - windfish
52 - 17 points - ntl - Matt_Barber
53 - 17 points - mmx - Klunky
54 - 17 points - cib - Seizokano
55 - 17 points - ntl - Minecraftemery
56 - 17 points - sh2 - BVBFabi09
57 - 17 points - m!g - Red XIII
58 - 16 points - ftg - LockeTribal
59 - 16 points - ntl - TheBigBlue
60 - 16 points - ntl - StarPoint
61 - 16 points - ntl - BabyYoda71
62 - 16 points - rkb - Addearheart
63 - 16 points - nto - Quadratlatschen
64 - 16 points - rpg - Mattos313
65 - 16 points - ftg - Cubby
66 - 15 points - cib - GaiaGensouki
67 - 15 points - eab - darkwave
68 - 15 points - gpo - rave
69 - 15 points - gav - Scorplian
70 - 15 points - gpo - Messor Torvus
71 - 15 points - mnc - Mitschel
72 - 15 points - mmx - fedprod
73 - 14 points - pop - a gentle breeze
74 - 14 points - pop - Don Como
75 - 14 points - mmx - LittleChoco
76 - 14 points - rta - PCfromNYV
77 - 14 points - can - Dark Kariya
78 - 14 points - ata - Keir
79 - 14 points - rtu - Elginmcqueen
80 - 13 points - gms - kopyright
81 - 13 points - can - M.Rick75
82 - 13 points - smu - BulletMagnet
83 - 13 points - hcg - snake
84 - 13 points - hcg - teroknor
85 - 13 points - ftg - Destria
86 - 13 points - spz - Geddoe
87 - 13 points - gpo - Navarone
88 - 13 points - sh2 - FoxSpitzer
89 - 12 points - mtc - MegaApple
90 - 12 points - mnc - Lukulus
91 - 12 points - ntl - Bunkerneath
92 - 12 points - gms - j1m
93 - 12 points - gav - Cube
94 - 12 points - ftg - Vandelay
95 - 12 points - m!g - Kong
96 - 11 points - nto - 4C8en
97 - 11 points - ftg - Lurker
98 - 11 points - pop - turzilla
99 - 11 points - mmx - Dnamei
100 - 11 points - cib - Retro_Willie
101 - 11 points - rtc - StayAwhile
102 - 11 points - hcg - mainpatr
103 - 10 points - rpg - Zion
104 - 10 points - rkb - Philippe161
105 - 10 points - mmx - Shades
106 - 10 points - hcg - Alexmate
107 - 10 points - rta - aLaxLuthor
108 - 10 points - sh2 - Bonz
109 - 10 points - rta - Gygas
110 - 09 points - mmx - Lynx
111 - 09 points - nto - Curly
112 - 09 points - ata - Mikebloke
113 - 08 points - eab - mailman
114 - 08 points - gpo - kataka
115 - 08 points - mnc - elementalMaster
116 - 08 points - rta - Optional Objectives
117 - 08 points - cib - LockeBoss
118 - 08 points - cib - @kuma:0
119 - 07 points - wtd - Adrian
120 - 07 points - mtc - QFNS
121 - 07 points - spz - VAL
122 - 07 points - rkb - FolderOfDoom
123 - 07 points - nto - Dark~ExxzoN
124 - 07 points - cib - Elemental Master
125 - 07 points - gpo - GAMEPROFF
126 - 06 points - smu - Guigui
127 - 06 points - off - gbxkb
128 - 06 points - mnc - HomiSite
129 - 05 points - ata - JeremiahJT
130 - 05 points - pop - PUH
131 - 05 points - gpo - Eddie
132 - 05 points - ftg - Lizard
133 - 04 points - ftg - harrypalmer
134 - 04 points - gpo - Bully
135 - 04 points - mtc - freshVeggie
136 - 04 points - cib - Jan565
137 - 04 points - off - David
138 - 04 points - mtc - FunnyJay
139 - 03 points - pop - Sascha
140 - 03 points - wtd - Waelthus
141 - 03 points - rtu - AlexH
142 - 03 points - pop - Arne
143 - 02 points - mnc - chifan
144 - 02 points - f64 - Jammet
145 - 02 points - rpg - D4rkD
146 - 01 points - wtd - svenoble
147 - 00 points - pop - Daiyama
148 - 00 points - gav - Hahs

LOCAL HIGH SCORE

1 - 24 points - Havie
2 - 22 points - Nobby_UK
3 - 15 points - darkwave
4 - 08 points - mailman

Congratulations to Havie for the local lead and Top 20 position.

@Gimbal, you don't like Mario anymore but you didn't even play this round! That bad?

Thank you everybody for playing!
Old 03 May 2023, 13:03   #1640
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

If I have to choose between dissecting Mario screenshots and enjoying the weather outside or working on my game dev projects... Mario will never win.