English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 08 August 2019, 03:56   #141
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
Hopefully one or two people will make crazy adult games with this engine.
Well, the engine could already handle any number of ports of DOS H games.

I did not say this. I am not here.
Old 08 August 2019, 06:37   #142
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Wonder if [op] is thinking about Succubus or some other of those zombi-tentacle platformers that are appearing in youtube :P

Last edited by saimon69; 08 August 2019 at 21:24.
Old 14 August 2019, 00:52   #143
xboxown

earok, would you be announcing in this forum the link to download the scropion engine (like release the engine) so people can start making games on their Amiga 68k?

Thanks in advance.
Old 14 August 2019, 01:08   #144
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxown View Post
earok, would you be announcing in this forum the link to download the scropion engine (like release the engine) so people can start making games on their Amiga 68k?

Thanks in advance.
The current version of the compiler is in the demo pack, so it can already be used for making games.

To be clear, the compiler (scorpion.exe) is for Windows only, the engine (game.exe) is for 68K Amiga only.

https://github.com/earok/scorpion-engine-demos
Old 15 August 2019, 20:42   #145
xboxown

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
The current version of the compiler is in the demo pack, so it can already be used for making games.

To be clear, the compiler (scorpion.exe) is for Windows only, the engine (game.exe) is for 68K Amiga only.

https://github.com/earok/scorpion-engine-demos
Perfect! I would not want to change it any other way! This means we can use WinUAE for the engine sad to test things and windows side to develop the game..making WinUAE again the most powerfulist tool for the Amiga developer ever!! THANK YOU ...I will work on this immediately!
Old 15 August 2019, 21:28   #146
attle

This looks great!
Old 15 August 2019, 22:59   #147
UltraNarwhal

Out of curiosity I changed the framewait setting to 2/3, but noticed game sped up (tested Zelda/AlexKidd). So a bird that took 5 seconds to travel at 50fps now took 2.5 seconds on 25fps, but 3 seconds on 12.5fps.

Just thought I'd report what may be bug, unless it's not supposed to work yet in this early version.

Old 15 August 2019, 23:39   #148
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

As this setting is already in the online manual, I suppose it should work.
I am a real noodle here, but since there are less frames to display, I would think it's normal that it goes faster, no ?
Old 16 August 2019, 00:32   #149
earok

Cheers guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraNarwhal View Post
Out of curiosity I changed the framewait setting to 2/3, but noticed game sped up (tested Zelda/AlexKidd). So a bird that took 5 seconds to travel at 50fps now took 2.5 seconds on 25fps, but 3 seconds on 12.5fps.

Just thought I'd report what may be bug, unless it's not supposed to work yet in this early version.

That's certainly a bug, I'll need to come back to that. In general, the intention for frameskip is to not just decrease the framerate, but increase movement speeds to compensate (so you could theoretically make a 50HZ version of the game for high end Amigas, and just change that one line to output a 25HZ version for low end Amigas)

But it's a feature I use so infrequently (none of the samples are designed to be 25HZ games) that I haven't tested it in a long while.
Old 16 August 2019, 10:11   #150
earok

I set aside one weekend a month to cram on personal projects, it's now that weekend so I'm going to be cramming on a major feature that I've largely kept quiet about - the backbone importer.

It's not something that takes a Backbone project and spits out a compiled Scorpion project, it'll instead take a Backbone project and convert it to something that the Scorpion compiler can use (eg, convert the maps to Tiled maps, convert the scenes and menus to Scorpion ink script). It may not ever be 100% capable of converting every single thing in a Backbone project, but it'll reduce the time to convert a Backbone project down a great deal.

In any case, if you've got a Backbone project you'd like to see in Scorpion, send me the source project (it can't import an already compiled Backbone game) and -maybe- I could take a look at doing a rudimentary conversion for you this weekend. Just be aware it's likely to be very buggy and not very feature complete, but it'll certainly run a great deal smoother than the original game did.
Old 16 August 2019, 10:26   #151
Clydos
aka (Cpt)JohnArcher

Quote:
I set aside one weekend a month to cram on personal projects, it's now that weekend so I'm going to be cramming on a major feature that I've largely kept quiet about - the backbone importer.
Old 16 August 2019, 21:57   #152
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Haha, you really want to kill off backbone, don't you?
You are doing gods work, Earok...
Old 16 August 2019, 22:19   #153
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Wish someone would
Old 17 August 2019, 00:48   #154
earok

Quote:
You are doing gods work, Earok...
Haha, cheers guys.

You know the story Steril, Scorpion evolved out of the earlier project 'Subzero' that was simply a backbone ripper. Of course, Scorpion was always intended to be far more than just a cookie cutter toolkit, but a means of developing fully realised games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Wish someone would
Well, that was the intention at first. But unfortunately, there's one backbone dev in particular that was rude to me and blocked me on Facebook so I'd prefer that he doesn't benefit from the engine in any way. Every single other backbone dev is welcome to use it.

Last edited by earok; 17 August 2019 at 00:54.
Old 17 August 2019, 10:33   #155
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Well, that was the intention at first. But unfortunately, there's one backbone dev in particular that was rude to me and blocked me on Facebook so I'd prefer that he doesn't benefit from the engine in any way. Every single other backbone dev is welcome to use it.
I wonder who that could be
Old 17 August 2019, 13:20   #156
attle

Would you consider supporting additional sprite formats? Either something like a plain .PNG with a grid of frames for sprite animations, or AseSprite / LibreSprite formats.

I tried mucking around in SpriterPro but I found it really confusing to be honest.
Old 17 August 2019, 13:37   #157
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by attle View Post
Would you consider supporting additional sprite formats? Either something like a plain .PNG with a grid of frames for sprite animations, or AseSprite / LibreSprite formats.

I tried mucking around in SpriterPro but I found it really confusing to be honest.
If there's a simple format (preferably not-binary) that could be used instead, I'd consider it. It'd need to have at least these features:

- Variable framerate per frame (or at least, the ability to set the framerate per animation)
- Ability to set the X/Y "handle" (eg, the relative position of the frame)
- Ability to set a collision rectangle (currently only really used for games with Melee combat, eg it's used to set the hit rectangle for Alex's fist and Link's sword)

To be clear, SpriterPro isn't supported - only the Spriter beta (included in the gitrepo) is supported. It's very buggy and we're aware of that - the main reason we're running with support for that rather than Spriter Pro is that it's more suitable for use with old engines.

The Spriter Beta -does- have an extremely simple text output, so it's possible to manually create sprite sheets (I've done that on occasion)
Old 17 August 2019, 18:46   #158
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
I wonder who that could be
Me.

Earok hates my guts.
Old 19 August 2019, 10:29   #159
earok

@steril707 haha yup. Totally jealous of your "backbone" games.

Here's the progress to date on the backbone converter.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 19 August 2019, 11:10   #160
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Cooooool