English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 13 July 2020, 09:28   #141
mcgeezer

I'm taking a short few weeks from coding as I have a few things on real life.

It's my little boy's birthday on 20th and he wanted an above ground swimming pool.

You'll not believe the work and cost involved in this, £2K already... levelling the garden, power into the garden, heating the damn thing, covers, chemicals.

I though it would have been a peach cake but it's turned my head into mush.

Stressed.
Old 13 July 2020, 09:38   #142
jotd
This cat is no more

nothing is easy when you're doing it for the first time.
Old 13 July 2020, 13:23   #143
nikosidis

Haha, I see the neighbor here. For last 3 weeks, every freaking day they been building a little swimming pool. It will be nice, but sure hell of a work. Good luck with it. I'm sure you will be very popular around the neighborhood
Old 13 July 2020, 13:50   #144
jotd
This cat is no more

Your neighbours are like us: they probably prefer when you're coding Super Sprint
Old 05 September 2020, 18:04   #145
mcgeezer

Kids back at school in the UK, the Covid situation is hopefully getting a bit better here so coding continues... here I've added some of the Audio tracks that have kindly been done by Estrak... another audio genius.

[ Show youtube player ]

Geezer
Old 05 September 2020, 19:01   #146
jotd
This cat is no more

no way, you're showing us the arcade version. I'm not buying
Old 05 September 2020, 22:31   #147
Estrayk

I converted the original Atari arcade tunes "Yamaha YM2151 (8 voices FM audio-chip)" to PCM Protracker. It is the same soundchip that comes with Sharp X68000.
BTW, I use DefleMask software for make some YM2151 instruments and chords. I hope sounds like original.

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Estrayk; 05 September 2020 at 22:40.
Old 06 September 2020, 02:30   #148
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Wow. Just an awesome job. What an excellent rendition of the YM2151 !

Seriously, this has to be noted somewhere on a wiki, this to make YM2151 easier to convert to Paula PCM !
Old 06 September 2020, 04:23   #149
redblade
Zone Friend

@Easytrak: Wow, amazing work. And you compose the music by ear?
Old 06 September 2020, 08:16   #150
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estrayk View Post
I converted the original Atari arcade tunes "Yamaha YM2151 (8 voices FM audio-chip)" to PCM Protracker. It is the same soundchip that comes with Sharp X68000.
BTW, I use DefleMask software for make some YM2151 instruments and chords. I hope sounds like original.

[ Show youtube player ]
Another option is to use hoot player with MAME roms, selectively turn on and off voices and save to wav to grab instruments; i did use that for Rygar as proof of concept after Graeme decided to go with DJ METUNE due to my own attempts to recreate Rygar instruments with Deflemask went bad; i guess all come full circle...
Old 06 September 2020, 16:43   #151
pink^abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estrayk View Post

[ Show youtube player ]

Sounds like quite some work got into it. Very well done!
Just the chord sample loop is a bit rough, but i guess most won't notice
Old 06 September 2020, 22:59   #152
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Hey Estrayk, when samples are similar try to group all songs together and provide Graeme with pattern positions to save space; some e6x loops might help too
Old 10 September 2020, 01:02   #153
Estrayk

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade View Post
@Easytrak: Wow, amazing work. And you compose the music by ear?
nope. First, I extract the wav from MAME. then I use a software called SpleeterGUI for split bass, drums, chords, notes....
When I has the .wav from percussion for example I load it in Protracker and try to get the correct speed.
Then I get the snares, hihats, drums .... and make samples from each one.
Then I insert the wav in a channel and replicate the drum sequence in another channel, when both channels sounds exact, I continue with bass, chords....etc.

For chords and melodies I use another technique but well.... it's more or less like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Another option is to use hoot player with MAME roms, selectively turn on and off voices and save to wav to grab instruments; i did use that for Rygar as proof of concept after Graeme decided to go with DJ METUNE due to my own attempts to recreate Rygar instruments with Deflemask went bad; i guess all come full circle...
I've to check that, thx m8!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink^abyss View Post
Sounds like quite some work got into it. Very well done!
Just the chord sample loop is a bit rough, but i guess most won't notice

Yes I know, I will try to fix it. BTW, The last time we saw each other was at the Saturne party II, or was at saturne III?. A long time has passed! greets Pink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Hey Estrayk, when samples are similar try to group all songs together and provide Graeme with pattern positions to save space; some e6x loops might help too
The original composer didn't repeat a lot of samples , so I'm afraid it's going to be tricky.

Last edited by Estrayk; 10 September 2020 at 01:12.
Old 13 September 2020, 13:35   #154
mcgeezer

his week I've been working on completing the Winners Circle scene.

There are parts of game programming that are so so boring, and this is one of them... writing routines to show scores and stuff like that is just painful when you have a bitmapped display.

If the Amiga had a tile based display available then this sort of stuff wouldn't be half as hard.

I've cheated in a few areas here, the first is that for the bonus updates I'm using the same text plot routine in other areas of the game, because this scene is in 64 colours I had to do some copper work on colour 0 to get the background colour to look correct. (You can see this on Car 4 as the text goes over two shades of Brown) - I'll have to live with it.

The other additions are the flags... again, nothing special as I just make use of the hardware sprites and change the colour accordingly to which car won... I do multiplex them once a little further down the screen.

Lastly I added the other track from Estrayk and applied some volume fade in/out which makes it more arcade like.

[ Show youtube player ]

Once this is out of the way I can then get back to perfecting the car collisions and physics which may take a lot of time.. but it'll be the last thing to do apart from the level builds.

Geezer
Old 13 September 2020, 19:08   #155
kamelito
Zone Friend

Not sure if it is of any help.
http://aminet.net/package/dev/misc/CharMode
Old 13 September 2020, 23:21   #156
Reido

Super stuff McGeezer!
Old 20 September 2020, 22:02   #157
mcgeezer

Thanks for the feedback all.

I've really had limited time this week, work and a local lockdown in the North East of England is once again affecting my hobby.

That said, I have on and off been working on the car physics and I'm happyish with what I have, I'd be interested to know what you think on the car handling so I've uploaded an ADF into the zone.

Use either joysticks to control the cars and qw+space on the keyboard for the Yellow car.

Collisions are off intentionally although you may be able to crash into some obstacles and pick up stuff.

You'll need a standard A1200 config to get it running. I've not ran this on real hardware so if anyone has the real stuff and wants to take/post a picture
of it running on a CRT or real monitor then be my guest.

Cheers, Geezer.
Old 20 September 2020, 22:04   #158
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post

I've really had limited time this week, work and a local lockdown in the North East of England is once again affecting my hobby.

That said, I have on and off been working on the car physics and I'm happyish with what I have, I'd be interested to know what you think on the car handling so I've uploaded an ADF into the zone.

Use either joysticks to control the cars and qw+space on the keyboard for the Yellow car.

Collisions are off intentionally although you may be able to crash into some obstacles and pick up stuff.

You'll need a standard A1200 config to get it running. I've not ran this on real hardware so if anyone has the real stuff and wants to take/post a picture

Cheers, Geezer.
I was up near your neck of the woods on Friday, had to goto Newcastle just before they brought the restrictions in at midnight!
Old 20 September 2020, 22:09   #159
nikosidis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post

Cheers, Geezer.

I like to do that
How do I get the files?
Old 20 September 2020, 22:16   #160
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
I was up near your neck of the woods on Friday, had to goto Newcastle just before they brought the restrictions in at midnight!
Yeah - this whole covid shit is getting on my nerves now. Under better circumstances I'm sure we could have supped a beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosidis View Post
I like to do that
How do I get the files?
ADF is in the zone.