English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 04 February 2023, 02:35   #141
gothmog

There are no such tool.
CSBuild might be able to open the saved game files but it will only save to the CSBwin format so you would not be able to load the modified saved game with CSB 3.5 on Amiga.
Old 05 February 2023, 00:33   #142
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

So to test this IPF set, the last idea would be to boost the team of a DM save-game and then create the CSB adventure.
Do you know if this can work ? If yes, could you suggest a tool ? Or maybe an already edited DM save-game (boosted team) that can be used ?
Thanks on advance for your help.
Old 05 February 2023, 03:31   #143
m1ckey

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
So to test this IPF set, the last idea would be to boost the team of a DM save-game and then create the CSB adventure.
Do you know if this can work ? If yes, could you suggest a tool ? Or maybe an already edited DM save-game (boosted team) that can be used ?
Thanks on advance for your help.

http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=view/Tools
Old 05 February 2023, 13:58   #144
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ckey View Post
Thanks but as indicated in a previous post, as I have limited spare time, I cannot test, out of the list, which tool can do the job : Does the tool requires v1.x, v2.x, v3.x DM save-game, and can then Amiga CSB 3.5 read this edited save-game to create the CSB adventure ?
So if someone already has answers to these questions, I appreciate any redirection that can be given to shorten the preparation of the test .
Old 05 February 2023, 17:08   #145
rygar

Quote:
Thanks but as indicated in a previous post, as I have limited spare time, I cannot test, out of the list, which tool can do the job : Does the tool requires v1.x, v2.x, v3.x DM save-game, and can then Amiga CSB 3.5 read this edited save-game to create the CSB adventure ?
So if someone already has answers to these questions, I appreciate any redirection that can be given to shorten the preparation of the test .

Here is info how to hack save file:
https://www.dungeon-master.com/forum...ic.php?t=28545
or you can use this soft:
http://www.ragingmole.com/DMute/
Old 05 February 2023, 17:21   #146
gothmog

I was wrong, DMute http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/698 should be able to open and save your CSB saved game. Note that a bug will corrupt the champion portraits but apart from this it should work fine if you want to boost champion skills and statistics.

If someone wants to tinker with saved game files, here is the documentation I have so far (as well as a script to decode saved game files): http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/1389
Old 05 February 2023, 20:04   #147
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Just after my last post and without big hopes I decided to try one of the tool and, don't ask me why, choosed DMute.
My feedback is "une réponse de Normand", and this feedback is to be taken for what it is : a quick test by someone not knowing CSB.

[YES]
- DMute was able to open my initial CSBGAMEF.DAT v3.5 file
- It allowed me to boost my team (to the max allowed)
- The team's portraits are all messed up
- I was able to 'save as' CSBGAME.DAT (just to keep my original CSBGAMEF.DAT)

I then made a backup of the CSBGAMEF.DAT and renamed the CSBGAME.DAT to CSBGAMEF.DAT

To my biggest surprise, "Chaos strikes back" v3.5 loaded the modified file

Except for one strange message (white text on black screen - something mentioning an error with the game) that quickly disappeared on mouse click, I have played the game without seeing any crash or triggered copy protection message but on some places I was surprised that some teleports seemed to have no effects on my team but on objects and then on my team (normal ?).

I have played up to the place where you meet the 1st dragon (just after going down some stairs). Looks like to be the Level 4.

The game is really hard, so many monsters that require a strong team to kill them... Fortunately my team is under steroids

After having killed the dragon, I have saved the game and

[NO]
- DMute was not able to load again my game in progress CSBGAMEF.DAT file (DMute even crashed)

But I was able to reload CSB from where I saved.

So, up to where I played, I would say that the v3.5 IPF seems to be working.

When time permits I will continue to test further. If someone having more knowledge of the game or time wants to give a test, feel free - the more, the best chances we will have to trigger the copy protection error

Tip : Don't leave the initial room (where the game start) without the map as it will help you finding walls that can be crossed.

@rygar & @gothmog : Thanks for your feedback

For the one interested in testing, here the CSBGAMEF.DAT used :
Attached Files
File Type: 7z CSBGAMEF.7z (24.4 KB, 33 views)
Old 06 February 2023, 00:41   #148
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

I have made a test regarding the above crash of DMute. For this I have created an new CSB adventure with the UK utility disk and another one with the FR utility disk (for the UK utility have initiated a UK game and for the FR utility, a FR game).
DMute read the UK save-game, but crash with the FR one.
I think then that my above initial adventure worked because it was created with the UK utility disk (even from a FR saved game) and that my latest in-game save crashed DMute because I daved it from the FR version.
Then have made another quick test with DM 3.6, the same apply : UK is read by DMute but FR crash it.
BtW, DM does not load the DMute modified save-game and warn about an invalid file.
Old 06 February 2023, 01:23   #149
m1ckey

Quote:

Dmute from GG, worked charms for me back in the day. You do need a way to transfer files PC to/from an Amiga. While heavy editing character portraits might get garbled on versions 1.4 - 1.5.
1.3 or earlier, however, is safe bet.
Old 06 February 2023, 02:32   #150
m1ckey

Quote:
I have made a test regarding the above crash of DMute. For this I have created an new CSB adventure with the UK utility disk and another one with the FR utility disk (for the UK utility have initiated a UK game and for the FR utility, a FR game).
DMute read the UK save-game, but crash with the FR one.
I think then that my above initial adventure worked because it was created with the UK utility disk (even from a FR saved game) and that my latest in-game save crashed DMute because I daved it from the FR version.
Then have made another quick test with DM 3.6, the same apply : UK is read by DMute but FR crash it.
BtW, DM does not load the DMute modified save-game and warn about an invalid file.

https://imgur.com/a/eEFbaV8

Took whole five minutes to process your save game w/ dmute and get you the precious Master Key by vexing vexirks. To and from a real amiga.

Use Dmute 1.3 or earlier while editing Amiga DM/CSB save files.

https://www54.zippyshare.com/v/Ys09H7sf/file.html

Last edited by m1ckey; 06 February 2023 at 02:39. Reason: adding file
Old 06 February 2023, 17:22   #151
rygar

Here you can find all tools:
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...0A1D18BAED6EC0
Old 07 February 2023, 08:28   #152
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Thanks rygar. This place was as well mentioned by following some previous link.

Reading a bit about CSB , I understood that it is not as "linear" as DM (I mean from top to down level). So if it could better help regarding the triggering of the copy protection of this IPF v3.5 set, I would say that my exploration attempt (post #147) lasted for about 90/120 minutes.
Old 07 February 2023, 19:15   #153
gothmog

I would say that 2 hours without any copy protection triggered is probably enough to confirm that this IPF is working fine.
Various parts of the copy protection are triggered:
- When the game starts
- Each time the game disk is required in the drive, for example after loading a saved game, or when loading data for a new level
- Each time you save the game
- Often (but not always) when you move from one level to another (no matter through stairs, pits or teleporters). This occurs often in CSB as there are lots of stairs and pits.
- When enough of certain sounds have been played (for example, every 880 times that you bump in a wall, the copy protection sector is read and checked around 10 seconds later)
- When you see some specific dungeon layout in front of you. This is probably the most vicious copy protection check as it progresses from time to time in the background while you move around the dungeon. This one may take a long time to actually trigger as you must face specific squares at specific relative positions from you and in a specific order (a visible teleporter far away on the front, then later a wall on your right side, etc.).
Old 07 February 2023, 21:39   #154
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

So it seems to be a good news then
I would nevertheless find it interesting if a CSB "expert" could give this v3.5 IPF set a go to validate that everything is working as intended during the game.
Old 10 February 2023, 07:14   #155
rhester72

As the OP *lol*, I'm happy to see that folks have a) begun to understand why it's long been impossible and b) might have actually had a measure of success!

Would anyone be able to point me at the location on the FTP where I could find the v2.0 English IPF for further testing?
Old 10 February 2023, 10:34   #156
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Not tested but the last in this search result maybe ? (13MB seems a lot, so don't know)
https://ftp.grandis.nu/turransearch/...0&httplinks=on
Old 10 February 2023, 13:41   #157
gothmog

Look in "The Zone!" (the link is on the top of the forum pages near "Log Out") for v2.2 by BarryB
Old 10 February 2023, 13:51   #158
Snoopy1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhester72 View Post
As the OP *lol*, I'm happy to see that folks have a) begun to understand why it's long been impossible and b) might have actually had a measure of success!

Would anyone be able to point me at the location on the FTP where I could find the v2.0 English IPF for further testing?
I've re-uploaded to the Zone a track shifted Dungeon Master 2.0 English scp image working on basic tests. Original image from Supermax wasn't working.
Old 10 February 2023, 16:32   #159
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy1234 View Post
I've re-uploaded to the Zone a track shifted Dungeon Master 2.0 English scp image working on basic tests.
Could you explain what is it about track shifting and why it was needed in this case?
I couldn't find references.

Quote:
Original image from Supermax wasn't working.
Supamax
Old 10 February 2023, 22:53   #160
Snoopy1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supamax View Post
Could you explain what is it about track shifting and why it was needed in this case?
I couldn't find references.

Supamax
Idk really. Jim Drew is the Man for that. I can assume the difference between an AmigaDos track either side of a GCR track needs at least 5 revs when reading to cover discrepancies in the mechanical read process. I moved the track on the image platter sideways 5 base points in HxC exe editor. Jim Drew has suggested that as a nominal figure on another topic.