English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 07 November 2015, 22:31   #141
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Oh, seems there is a confusion, Galahad could you please lighten it up?
Hoffman is doing the intro music which is well underway and as expected, awesome.

ADR Design has done some in game stuff, and that is of course awesome.

However, if others want to make contributions, just like WTSS, i will include whatever i can so,long as its good enough.

The only tune that isnt up for debate is Hoffmans intro tune, that is going to be his version and no-one elses.

If someone wants to Amigafy the ingame stuff, then great, but we have limited room, but i may be relocating some stuff to extra ram so those limitations may be lifted.

Please also note that like Hoffman, if you have inspiration to make an ORIGINAL tune and not make a cover of anything that has gone before, then please, feel free to write it.

If its good, it gets in the game, pure and simple guys, if the game ends up being two disks, then that will happen, or maybe a GOLD version gets released at a later date with more extras.

@Saimon, i appreciate your efforts, but im afraid i cant use what you have written, i hope you understand that ADRDesign and Hoffman have provided examples of such good quality, that its something i want to maintain, i hope you understand.
Old 20 December 2015, 02:31   #142
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Just an update on progress.

I wanted this one done before Christmas Day, alas its not looking likely, dont want to rush it and mess it up so, aiming for either end of the year or really early in 2016.

Intro sequence is done, its nothing special, but its more than the ST got

Now hiscore entry works, also the game over/percentage completed screen works as well.

Ive got it running on A500 and A1200. Needless to say, its plenty fast enough on A1200.

Its noticeably slower on A500 68000, ive reduced the redraw routine for the main game and saved 60 less loops of the main realtime conversion routine which runs every frame, so thats helped somewhat.

Game however is still playable.

Memory is tight, not entirely sure i can get SFX into the game and might just have to stick with music instead.

Need and want to add more to the intro for the simple reason that Hoffman did a stellar intro tune and it easily outlasts the intro sequence.

Thanks also to Mark R Jones for permission to use his Starquake logo, its been utilised in a nice way i think.

Not far off completion now, in the final home stretch
Old 20 December 2015, 09:46   #143
kamelito
Zone Friend

@Galahad
Thanks for you hard work on that one. As the ST version was released in 1988 I think that we can wait a bit longer.
Kamelito
Old 20 December 2015, 09:51   #144
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Shame if there is no ingame music / sfx switch.
Old 20 December 2015, 09:51   #145
Amigajay

Thanks for the update Galahad, ive never played the original, so its a new game for me, hdid you get round to mapping the controls to a CD32 pad ok?
Old 20 December 2015, 11:36   #146
Bastich

Can't wait to try this out as it was one of my favourite Speccy games. Thanks for all your amazing work
Old 20 December 2015, 11:39   #147
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Only thing im missing is title music hint hint ADRDesign
Old 20 December 2015, 15:51   #148
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

My mother was a big fan of Starquake on the MSX, I bet she will love it to see running on Amiga
Old 20 December 2015, 16:51   #149
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
My mother was a big fan of Starquake on the MSX, I bet she will love it to see running on Amiga
Then this version is dedicated to your mother
Old 20 December 2015, 18:01   #150
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Memory is tight, not entirely sure i can get SFX into the game and might just have to stick with music instead.
That's a shame - it would be sad to have a version on the Amiga that's inferior to the Spectrum version, which was fast, fluid and a riot of sound effects when things got busy. Music is nice and all, but to me Starquake wouldn't be the same without the spot effects

D.
Old 20 December 2015, 18:05   #151
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Exactly.. Starquake must have the sound effects.... it won't be the same game without them. There aren't that many, but they are essential, much more so then any music
Old 20 December 2015, 21:14   #152
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Ok, well, heres an offer for someone to get their name in the game,

Provide samples of the ST original sounds, and i will put them in

Or suitable alternatives
Old 21 December 2015, 12:15   #153
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Ok, started ripping sfx from the ST version, and looks like we are a go.

Game is now definitely 1meg only, because the ST sfx are proper chip generated they take up virtually no memory on the ST, but as I am ripping them as samples, each sample is big ish in size, so, 1meg it is, but the game gets more atmosphere
Old 21 December 2015, 12:50   #154
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
What? You planned it for 0,5meg or so? NO ONE should run his amiga with so small memory today.
Old 21 December 2015, 12:52   #155
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
What? You planned it for 0,5meg or so?
It was almost possible to retain it as 512k yes, but as 1meg is standard, we get a more faithful game.
Old 21 December 2015, 12:58   #156
kamelito
Zone Friend

The NDS port do have small wav files for sound fx. Don't know how they sound compared to the ST. You also may ask Endangermice about it's sounds for it's PC port.

Kamelito
Old 21 December 2015, 13:34   #157
Amigajay

Quote:
What? You planned it for 0,5meg or so? NO ONE should run his amiga with so small memory today.
If it was doable then why not? I'm sure it was more fun and more of a challenge to do so, rather than here's a PPC and 64mb ram!
Old 21 December 2015, 13:40   #158
h0ffman

Really looking forward to this! If you have the SFX samples ripped out, we could look to replace them with something less chippy maybe. If you fire them over I'll see what I've got.
Old 22 December 2015, 18:10   #159
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ffman View Post
Really looking forward to this! If you have the SFX samples ripped out, we could look to replace them with something less chippy maybe. If you fire them over I'll see what I've got.
I ideally need to replace them with stuff much smaller.

The player dying sample alone is 63K in size, and realtime screen conversion and realtime sample copying and playing on 68000 is not a fun experience.

So i'm happy to use any raw samples with details of period to play them at, that sound ok but essentially are much smaller so I can fit them all in lower chip ram with no need to copy them from a slow mem buffer.

Will consider any samples.

Probably best if people direct their attention at: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 28 December 2015, 18:22   #160
Toni Galvez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
I ideally need to replace them with stuff much smaller.

The player dying sample alone is 63K in size, and realtime screen conversion and realtime sample copying and playing on 68000 is not a fun experience.

So i'm happy to use any raw samples with details of period to play them at, that sound ok but essentially are much smaller so I can fit them all in lower chip ram with no need to copy them from a slow mem buffer.

Will consider any samples.

Probably best if people direct their attention at: [ Show youtube player ]
My recomendation is, make the sounds shorter, maybe you can use a program like Adobe Audition to make the sounds shorter by streching the pitch. No one will complain about it and you will save a lot of space. Try to use less Khz.