English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 24 September 2017, 20:07   #141
trixster
Guru Meditating

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
How do you mean? I've never noticed this. Like on a grenade throw?
It's a little hard to explain, maybe this vid will show it. PC on the left, Amiga on the right. The gun/hand animation on the pc is smooth, the Amiga is like it has frameskip 2 or 3 on! This occurs with default config.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 24 September 2017, 22:19   #142
grelbfarlk

I see what you mean that is very noticeable. What resolution on the Amiga? Is it any smoother at lower res?
Old 24 September 2017, 22:30   #143
Cowcat

There's some info in the thread
"cl_maxfps" -maybe- could help with this: If I remember well, the refresh is on a higher value (for PC) by default (but the value doesn't get recorded when closing game).

Is different from original Hyperion?

About hardware donations, well If I can get myself soon a proper hardware with a "compatible Amiga-like OS" & can tinker stuff as I did, I will be fine.

On the other hand, if I have something cool to show & there's an absolute need for hardware surely I will ask for it.

But again, thanks
Old 24 September 2017, 22:59   #144
trixster
Guru Meditating

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
I see what you mean that is very noticeable. What resolution on the Amiga? Is it any smoother at lower res?
640x480, same at low res and in software.

cl_maxfps is 90 which is the default, changing it does not affect the animation behaviour. I will install the Hyperion version to compare.

Last edited by trixster; 24 September 2017 at 23:15.
Old 29 September 2017, 20:10   #145
trixster
Guru Meditating

In Hyperion quake 2 the gun animation is smooth.
Old 30 September 2017, 11:28   #146
Cowcat

Quote:
In Hyperion quake 2 the gun animation is smooth.
Have to check out that whenever I got my old hard drive chained to my new hardware.

2 things: Maybe fixes/updates done by Hyperion after release the aminet sources or the undisclosed minigl sources have something to do.
Old 27 October 2017, 21:24   #147
Cowcat

Test, test, test for the warpos world.

New widescreen modes, the classic mods (taken from Yamagi), fixes here & there.

Options "gl_fog" (various commands) , "horplus" (to fix fov when using widescreen).

Not 99% proved.

Only gl_nolru.dll by now. vidplay.dll not needed anymore (movies finally on same screen/window).

Last edited by Cowcat; 17 December 2017 at 18:28.
Old 27 October 2017, 21:30   #148
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Bad timIng for me.. I'm at Neuss. :-)

Great work, cowcat!
Old 30 October 2017, 21:36   #149
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

The new beta works fine here, until you change GL NO LRU to GL in video settings menu
Game attempts to reload but we get a wos exception hit and all stops.

Also why force wb shutdown by default ? It dows not work here when you run Q2 from shell, and produces some funny effects, should be an option, and not on by default imho.
Old 30 October 2017, 22:28   #150
Cowcat

Ups, redoing the old beta I forgot to put "0" to wb_shutdown. Easy changed on config.cfg

I only built gl_nolru.dll this time -fact is gl.dll never worked well for the warpos vbcc version- .

Don't mix the game with an older gl.dll if still exist in same place (of course is a blatant crash). When a gl.dll is missing, game just return to soft rendering.

Maybe a second release some days from now and other mod from Yamagi. Tighting up some code and old mistakes. And the 68k version build.

The frame drop of drawing gun that was reported is still a mistery but I guess the use of the provided dll source could be the cause, because not only happens on gl render but also in soft render.
Old 31 October 2017, 04:50   #151
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

gl.dll seemed to work a bit faster for me (first posts) ;-) or was the original CB binary...
Old 31 October 2017, 08:52   #152
Cowcat

Quote:
gl.dll seemed to work a bit faster for me (first posts)
Never was a gl.dll : It was a glnolru modded a little bit that for convenience I renamed to test between both non modded-modded. I said it

I prefered now to go back to the original code in some parts I changed in the search of possible bugs I might done. There has been multiple Q2 versions in those last years with frustating results.

A lot is done like inline endian swap code (still littlefloat to test) some inlines for gl calls, small fixes like the scroll animations -the computer screens on the game had frozen text originally-, some rotating gl code that was allways done no matter what ( fixed on last versions of blitz & hexen2), etc, etc.
Old 13 November 2017, 13:45   #153
trixster
Guru Meditating

I've been testing beta 3 today.

With beta2 and previous versions the default config.cfg command gl_ext_multitexture is 1 and all works ok, but with beta 3 this results in all textures not showing (at least this is the case on my Voodoo3). When that command set to 0 followed by vid_restart all is well, textures appear fine. Any ideas why this might be the case?
Old 13 November 2017, 13:50   #154
Cowcat

New versions and updates:

Inlined endian code, upgraded baseq2 game dll with the same savemode like used in yamagi mods, fixes for shadows, new debug rendermodes, etc, etc.

The 68k version is in dubious state: Some render problems appear using Morphos (happens also with older versions I did), so I don't know if 68k users noticed that or is something with the emulation. Some endianess was missing on earlier versions (wrong colours on models) & maybe now works with the upgraded code.
Also some stuff is changed now from earlier versions too...

Can't check cd audio (doesn't seem to work on MOS) & if gl dlls free the textures as supposed to do (more MOS issues with emulation - like no fog !!!!).

Still the render frame dropping with gun, but doesn't seem to be a problem with thirdperson mode playing.

Probably a random crash when going from level to level.
The new savemode works much better and survives changing code and doesn't care of old builds (a little bigger game.dll).

Source to be uploaded soon : I have to make room and delete some of my earlier stuff of all threads so grab now till you can.

Last edited by Cowcat; 09 January 2020 at 17:44.
Old 13 November 2017, 17:21   #155
AMIGASYSTEM

Tested con WinUAE AFA_OS it works fine 640x480 and 800x600 rendering software, in window mode you get red screen,

With mode MiniGL the game is a little slower, some bad artifactgraphic, work fine in window 640x480 and 800x600 but little slower.

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 23 January 2018 at 00:04.
Old 13 November 2017, 18:26   #156
Cowcat

Quote:
With mode MiniGL the game is a little slower, some bad artifactgraphic, work fine in window 640x480 and 800x600 but little slower.
Technically should be faster with the gl versions but in UAE/Wazp3D territory that could be an issue.

Happens the same with older 68k beta2 ?

There are some gl vars usefull to gain more speed commented in this thread (gl_particles, gl_mintriarea, etc.)

Oh, some show off video by the way of "good" emulation
(No pun intended) [ Show youtube player ]
Old 13 November 2017, 23:07   #157
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowcat View Post
Technically should be faster with the gl versions but in UAE/Wazp3D territory that could be an issue.
With Wazp3D much better and it's fast enough even 800x600

With 68040 it works welll

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 23 January 2018 at 00:03.
Old 14 November 2017, 10:45   #158
Cowcat

Just to point out that sometimes using multitexture for this kind of engines compiled with old mgl, doesn't really work with some emulation/gfx cards.
So now for Q2 I have "gl_ext_multitexture" set to "0". There's no real multitexture with old mgl source: It is simulated.
Old 22 November 2017, 01:21   #159
grelbfarlk

Cowcat, I know you're a VBCC man, but I just wondered if you have built a GCC version of libmgl.a ?
Old 22 November 2017, 02:13   #160
Cowcat

Quote:
GCC version of libmgl.a ?
Yep. No problem following Hedeon instructions about alignment, etc. Some of the minigl demos worked with minor modifications, others need more work.