English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 21 October 2013, 13:48   #141
leathered

Coagulus also reported this. I haven't got time to check it now but will tonight.

Edit: Works fine in my WinUAE setup with classicWB full installed. Turrican3 has the most experience using the CLI.

Sorry for the lack of info here mate, I was working and was absolutely cream- crackered. Try the new .exe & package, hope it works for you

Last edited by leathered; 22 October 2013 at 14:14. Reason: info
Old 21 October 2013, 17:41   #142
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

i just tested it, with winuae 2.6.0, it works great.
You can launch it from the workbench (tested with amikit 1.6).
From cli you have to add the directory sys:libs and put the "diskfont.library" inside.
The demo works even with just 2 mega chip ram.
But if you launch it from a full workbench, be sure to have enough chip ram.
I can confirm again it works with amikit 1.6.
I hope it helps.
ps: if it doesn't work for you, give us more explanation : the winuae config used.... launched from cli or workbench which workbench etc..
it's an aga game don't forget it.(setpatch must be used)

Last edited by turrican3; 21 October 2013 at 18:05.
Old 21 October 2013, 17:51   #143
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

ok, i just uploaded in the zone a version with startup-sequence.
Just launch winuae, set in the quickstart menu : model a1200.
Then drag and drop the zipped file (FFAGA_ALPHA1.5) in the hard drives menu... Then, just push start and it should work.
Hope it will be good for you.
PS: don't forget to give feedbacks !!!

Last edited by turrican3; 21 October 2013 at 17:57.
Old 21 October 2013, 19:18   #144
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

if you have installed winuae , i add my config files to launch final fight aga wip 1.5. just double click on one of my configs.
after just drag and drop the FFAGA_ALPHA1.5.zip in the hard drives winuae menu. perhaps you will have to select your amiga 1200 rom (kickstart) in the winuae rom menu.

just uploaded here my 2 configs files : one for 16/9 screen and the other for 4/3 screen.
Hope it will works for you.
edited: updated with the last leilo version for those who need my 2 config files still good.
Attached Files
File Type: uae final fight aga wip 1.5 (4 3).uae (28.3 KB, 117 views)
File Type: uae final fight aga wip 1.5 (16 9).uae (28.3 KB, 112 views)
File Type: zip FFAGA_ALPHA1.5.zip (916.5 KB, 170 views)

Last edited by turrican3; 22 October 2013 at 15:48.
Old 22 October 2013, 01:13   #145
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

we need feedbacks guys !!
Old 22 October 2013, 01:31   #146
leathered

First post updated - including a quick players guide in case you're finding the raw engine a bit rough

No combos listed yet, I'm hoping you can work them out.
Old 22 October 2013, 01:33   #147
NovaCoder

I had a quick go with this on my 1260 3.9 setup last night but couldn't get it to run, I tried both running it from WB and from the CLI and even tried my 3.1 boot disk but still no luck.

I'll try again tonight.
Old 22 October 2013, 02:19   #148
leathered

Thanks Nova, it's going to be a pig getting this to run on different set-ups as you well know. This is the first I've heard from an 060 user, the non-starting could all be down to some dodgy code that breaks it on anything too different from my configuration and I'm at some loss knowing where to begin, so I'd be delighted if you do get it running.
Amiga wise, I haven't had much time outside of this to do very much but I've got your version of Wolfenstein on my machine, anticipating a time when I can get hold of the files needed to play it.
Old 22 October 2013, 02:47   #149
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

a little picture from the soddom stage.

Last edited by turrican3; 22 October 2013 at 02:56.
Old 22 October 2013, 06:04   #150
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
this demo is really awesome, but turrican3, the demo won't work for many people because you forgot to include the siesta font (not present inside the archive).

once done it works it's not a code bug !

About the arcade AI, in fact it's an hardware driven AI. Since it's a tile game, all the tiles have their positions (x and y), values (collision or not), and the program is actually refreshing the tile via the VRAM on this system.

One way to replicate the AI would be to find the script inside the ASM source code of the original arcade machine (i have started a while ago to ressource it hehe).
for those who know Gens Kmod on megadrive, it allows to see what the video display processor is doing. If the same thing could be done for the CPS1 system, it would allow to find where is the AI for each sprite, and then by checking the VDP hardware registers, just understanding how the hardware engine is giving life to the mad gear gang

as lielo is using amos, and running a sort a "script parser" engine for FF AGA, the original is also a sort of parser. i think that to do this sort of game, and do it right, this is the way to go. Because it allows tweaking

i congratulate you lielo for this beginning of code, it's way beyond the FF we got for ECS machines and also Turrican3
Old 22 October 2013, 10:29   #151
BippyM
Global Moderator

Not too sure why there was a need to start a Seperate thread. I will be merging these later
Old 22 October 2013, 14:06   #152
leathered

Updated exe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
the demo won't work for many people because you forgot to include the siesta font (not present inside the archive).
This is actually my fault - the game was not reading the Fonts: directory from the package properly as I recall, but works if the font is installed in your Workbench:Fonts: directory - I completely forgot about that ages ago.
Very sorry for anyone that couldn't run it because of this issue. (Slaps hand on forehead) Thanks for that Denis.
Turrican3's CLI startup works on my old laptop winuae (1.6.0) with the suggested configuration.

I've updated the executable to default to the system font if siesta is not present - the link is the same, and I've added it to the first post - which is also worth a read if you need to know a few moves. The package contains Turrican3's startup for the CLI.

Quote:
About the arcade AI, in fact it's an hardware driven AI. Since it's a tile game, all the tiles have their positions (x and y), values (collision or not), and the program is actually refreshing the tile via the VRAM on this system.

One way to replicate the AI would be to find the script inside the ASM source code of the original arcade machine (i have started a while ago to ressource it hehe).
for those who know Gens Kmod on megadrive, it allows to see what the video display processor is doing. If the same thing could be done for the CPS1 system, it would allow to find where is the AI for each sprite, and then by checking the VDP hardware registers, just understanding how the hardware engine is giving life to the mad gear gang
This is very interesting! I'm actually ok with progressing with the AI as it is, atm I'm set not on replicating the arcade AI exactly but presenting something new, which I can use for a new game. I'll post a bit more about some of the intricacies of the current engine a bit later. I realise it's a bit raw atm.
And I'm using Blitz2: I bashed out a quick mockup in Amos - will one day upload that but don't expect miracles!

Last edited by leathered; 22 October 2013 at 14:12.
Old 22 October 2013, 15:57   #153
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
this demo is really awesome, but turrican3, the demo won't work for many people because you forgot to include the siesta font (not present inside the archive).

once done it works it's not a code bug !

as lielo is using amos, and running a sort a "script parser" engine for FF AGA, the original is also a sort of parser. i think that to do this sort of game, and do it right, this is the way to go. Because it allows tweaking

i congratulate you lielo for this beginning of code, it's way beyond the FF we got for ECS machines and also Turrican3
thank you for your comments and your help.
I think leilo did an amazing job with the code, good skill.
Once again, thank you leilo.
Old 22 October 2013, 17:08   #154
Amiga1992

Quote:
Couldn't Final FIght CD for Genesis CD be used as a basis? As far as I remember it's almost as 1:1 as you would get and then the code might probably be easy toi port to the Amiga.
Old 22 October 2013, 18:12   #155
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Lielo excellent demo - I think replicating the AI is defentley the best way to go, other versions probably also relicated rather than direct porting.
Realy like the parallax - only had a try on winuae with keyboard looking forward to trying on my A1200 with a joypad to realy test gameplay but realise this is a beta
Old 22 October 2013, 18:29   #156
leathered

Cheers dude. Lot's of the elements are in a very rough state including the AI, that said now is the time for everyone to get their points in, and all will be taken into consideration for the next release.
Old 22 October 2013, 18:48   #157
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Couldn't Final FIght CD for Genesis CD be used as a basis? As far as I remember it's almost as 1:1 as you would get and then the code might probably be easy toi port to the Amiga.
the sega CD or mega CD use the same system as the CPS-1. So why choosing the copy when you have the original ?

genesis use sprite lists, as does the CPS1.
Old 22 October 2013, 22:25   #158
leathered

I guess because you could use Gens Kmod?
The Genesis version is awesome - but it's not a perfect port. The attacking animations feel very 'wooden' compared to the original. I guess the AI is pretty close. Sega handled the conversion - I think with the source from Capcom.
Old 22 October 2013, 23:55   #159
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

well, there is something the CPS1 has in hardware that the amiga could have troubles to deal with : animation speed can be set via soft to the hardware (the neogeo has the same feature).

i'm not on final fight, but i am actually cutting to bits a coin-op game called Two Crude / Crude Buster. The program rom is 512kb, and it's made of TXT parts (normal), TBL (Table) parts, Programs parts (Yeah!, in fact those are very small, and they are moving tiles, uploading sprites lists in 68k asm!), and Data parts (where all the wanted sprites data refs are stored, as well as the level maps!).

I can do the same for final fight arcade, meaning we could get sprites datas (meaning be possible to rebuild all the sprite images for 1 bad guy, and also the collision and the AI... sort of).

More the time is passing by, the more i think that these arcade games were coded on the computer where they also had the graphics on screen, and from there, creating the little programs one can find in the program rom. It's impossible as it is to understand exactly where on the screen and what the routines are moving (from the addresses, you can say it's a sprite, playfield 1, playfield 2, playfield 3, Rowscroll, Tilegen1 or Tilegen2.....
Old 23 October 2013, 00:34   #160
leathered

Yeah I remember; Two Crude Dudes! Pretty rare in Yarmouth even at the time. One of those games I mostly just looked at as a kid, watching others play.
What you are saying is very interesting – please keep it coming; and although it's over my head I can see some comparisons to the way FFAGA works on some level.
I really need to show how the Animation/AI system works, and the means of improving it.