English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 07 May 2023, 21:01   #141
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estrayk View Post
I done a fast video for that you see the music playing with AHI 16bit audio card.

[ Show youtube player ]
The music sounds a bit off, the volume levels for the channels appears to be limited, as if it was a Fast 16-bit mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz12 View Post
What is this Musicport AHI soundcard like?

Could Prisma Megamix support be added to this game?
Unfortunately not. It's only useful for streaming music, because the chip on card has no interupts.
Old 08 May 2023, 13:33   #142
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSzili View Post
What adapter is this? How is it identified by JoyPortTest? I mean the "Ctrl type".

It is identified as a joypad. And all the buttons function as CD32 style pad.

The adapter I doubt I can find any info on this for you as the guy stopped selling them a while ago. Basically allows playstation pads to work on Amiga and you have configure to work as a cd32, 2 button pad, single button joystick, copy buttons, swap buttons, lots of options. I just use as CD32 pad and leave it.
Old 08 May 2023, 17:28   #143
BSzili
old chunk of coal

I see, then it looks like a CD32 pad from the Amiga side. I recently uploaded a new version that seems to have fixed the issue for wiz12. Please check if it's any better with your setup.
Old 08 May 2023, 19:42   #144
rabidgerry

Quote:
I see, then it looks like a CD32 pad from the Amiga side. I recently uploaded a new version that seems to have fixed the issue for wiz12. Please check if it's any better with your setup.
of course I will indeed check it out.
Old 08 May 2023, 20:02   #145
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

Quote:
Do you mean that the fire button appears to be constantly pressed? In that case I recommend checking the lowlevel.library mode in JoyPortTest
Thanks! Using JoyPortTest, my PS4 controller works perfectly with "lowlevel.library" unticked. However, when I tick it, the connection is intermittent and pressing "O" also presses "X" (but not the other way round). I guess this is why there's a problem with Death Rally. I tried the PS4 controller with a few random games like Alien Breed Tower Assault and Project X, and it works fine. So perhaps there's a compatibility issue between MouSTer and lowlevel.library? Maybe I'll start a new thread on it.

Could Death Rally optionally work without lowlevel.library? I assume classic games mostly don't use it.

Last edited by StevenJGore; 08 May 2023 at 20:17.
Old 08 May 2023, 21:21   #146
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Thanks for the feedback, it looks like the MouSTer is indeed not compatible with lowlevel.library. Reimplementing the functionality of system libraries is beyond the scope of this project.
Old 08 May 2023, 22:09   #147
rabidgerry

Ok so new version with music seems to no longer have the issue with the auto selecting the sabotage guy and also at the results screen. Played for an hour or two there also and no weird crash after a while like I was experiencing before.

GOOD WORK! Great little game. I think I could have lives without the music, but it's good it is included now and now issues with that either.
Old 09 May 2023, 09:42   #148
jurassicman

Yesterday I did play for 3-4 hours with my new joystick.
Before that I switched "boost/brake" and "machine gun/mines" so that now it works similar to SuperCars 2: forward "machine gun", backward "mines" plus an extra button for "turbo boost".
I didn't have any issues, the only weird thing that I noticed was that many times an opponent that played on a different race was first, second and third at the same time.
In particular, Jane Honda, that usually plays the Hard Race, got more than 1000 points while I was still around 100 points (I was usually playing the Medium Race).
Old 09 May 2023, 10:09   #149
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, it looks like the MouSTer is indeed not compatible with lowlevel.library. Reimplementing the functionality of system libraries is beyond the scope of this project.
It works with mouSTer and lowlevel library here to an extend... I have UP mapped to one of the keys, so it is possible to press Down + UP at the same time, this confuses lowlevel.library so it thinks the mouse is connected. So not really mouSTer's fault, it could be fixed by not letting that combo be reported (only report up in that case for example). But that problem will be with ANY joystick that has UP mapped to a button, not just mouSTer...
Old 09 May 2023, 11:20   #150
nikosidis

BSzili: Thanks for adding music That was really nice. The game is just great now. Great job!!
Old 09 May 2023, 11:41   #151
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurassicman View Post
In particular, Jane Honda, that usually plays the Hard Race, got more than 1000 points while I was still around 100 points (I was usually playing the Medium Race).
They always play the hard race. That's just how the game is. The more races you do in the lower tiers, the further the racers in the high tier will spiral away from you. It's a very grindy game.
Old 09 May 2023, 12:00   #152
jurassicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
They always play the hard race. That's just how the game is. The more races you do in the lower tiers, the further the racers in the high tier will spiral away from you. It's a very grindy game.
I agree that Jane Honda, Duke Nukem, etc.. always play the Hard Race, however I don't remember that a single player was first, second and third at the same time... this seems a bug to me.
This way Jane Honda did dozens of points each race...

Last edited by jurassicman; 09 May 2023 at 15:52.
Old 09 May 2023, 15:31   #153
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Ah. Yeah that's something else.
Old 09 May 2023, 17:12   #154
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat666 View Post
It works with mouSTer and lowlevel library here to an extend... I have UP mapped to one of the keys, so it is possible to press Down + UP at the same time, this confuses lowlevel.library so it thinks the mouse is connected. So not really mouSTer's fault, it could be fixed by not letting that combo be reported (only report up in that case for example). But that problem will be with ANY joystick that has UP mapped to a button, not just mouSTer...
I see, now I remember the discussion about this. Allowing invalid input combinations like Up+Down and Left+Right is kind of a bug, that screws with the auto-detection heuristic in lowlevel.library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurassicman View Post
I agree that Jane Honda, Duke Nukem, etc.. always play the Hard Race, however I don't remember that a single player was first, second and third at the same time... this seems a bug to me.
This way Jane Honda did dozens of points each race...
If the same thing doesn't happen in the DOS or Steam Classic release then it's indeed a bug. Otherwise it's a keeper.

edit: It was an endianness issue in the function that calculates the results for the races you didn't partake in. This is now fixed.

Last edited by BSzili; 09 May 2023 at 20:50.
Old 09 May 2023, 21:29   #155
jurassicman

Quote:
(...)
If the same thing doesn't happen in the DOS or Steam Classic release then it's indeed a bug. Otherwise it's a keeper.

edit: It was an endianness issue in the function that calculates the results for the races you didn't partake in. This is now fixed.
Great!
It doesn't happen in the DOS version, thanks for fixing it so quickly!
I'll check the new version as soon as possible (tonight I need to sleep more than yesterday... )
Old 10 May 2023, 07:17   #156
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Quote:
Oooh I just thought I was shite at it since Jane Honda and Duke Nukem had x10 score Starting over then...
Old 10 May 2023, 07:28   #157
nikosidis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat666 View Post
Oooh I just thought I was shite at it since Jane Honda and Duke Nukem had x10 score Starting over then...

Same here Started over yesterday. Looks better now
Old 10 May 2023, 08:37   #158
jurassicman

I confirm that the bug has been fixed... and I was good... yesterday I finished playing before midnight...
It was 2 minutes to midnight to be more precise (great song btw)
[ Show youtube player ]
Thanks so much again, I'm really enjoying finally playing Death Rally on my Amiga!

Last edited by jurassicman; 10 May 2023 at 09:42.
Old 10 May 2023, 08:46   #159
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Thanks for confirming the bug is gone. I uploaded a new version with some performance improvements.
Old 10 May 2023, 09:38   #160
jurassicman

Quote:
Thanks for confirming the bug is gone. I uploaded a new version with some performance improvements.
oh nooo!
Another version to test tonight!!!

Thanks once again!