English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.SPS (was CAPS)

Old 01 July 2009, 13:30   #141
MarkYoungIW

Quick question to SPS, as you may have gathered, I am struggling with getting hold of an A1200, but have A500s beign thrown at me. With an accelerator card will these cut it for your software?

Before it is said though, I realise that the accelerators are generally more expensive that an A1200. Just trying to keep my options open!!
Old 01 July 2009, 13:38   #142
IFW

As far as I remember the dumping sw required OS2+ and 68020+.
However before paying an insane amount of money it's worth keeping in mind that we are progressing with the C2 based dumping software - although real life and work gets in the way.
Old 01 July 2009, 13:54   #143
MarkYoungIW

Yes desperately awaiting C20, but fully understand the concept of work getting in the way of the important things in life!!

Out of interest, is it on the cards that C20 will be able to dump extended adf's as well (such as my example above).

What stage is C20 at now, would it be worth me building one for the dumping for SPS yet, and extended adf's, or is it still a case of waiting as its not reliable enough at the moment?
Old 01 July 2009, 15:27   #144
IFW

C2 dumping sw as is needed for SPS is probably 30% ready - not counting in any extra features that may eventually get introduced.
I'd say wait a bit.

I don't think it's viable to dump directly to adf or any other format as the time needed would exactly be the same for each format - but possibly valuable data would be irrecoverably lost during the process.
Instead, a well documented raw format will be produced which you are free to transform into any simple format you desire, including extended adf.
Old 02 July 2009, 08:09   #145
MarkYoungIW

Finally got one!!! Just got to go and pick it up next week!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...id=p2761.l1259

Will then need some serious instruction as to what I am doing, as only ever used an amiga for playing games!!
Old 02 July 2009, 11:19   #146
prowler
Global Moderator

Welcome to the A1200 Owners' Club!
Old 02 July 2009, 13:16   #147
hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFW View Post
C2 dumping sw as is needed for SPS is probably 30% ready - not counting in any extra features that may eventually get introduced.
I'd say wait a bit.
ah, "30%" ? i thought there was only an issue with instable usb connection, and now we are at "30%"?
did SPS took over the source and development? what is the license status now?
Old 02 July 2009, 15:08   #148
MarkYoungIW

Will be glad to pick it up. Not counting my chickens until they are unpacked in my lounge!!!!

Will look forward to C20 as it is definately needed to help progress things further and faster with other platforms too, but for now, hopefully the A1200 will help get many more titles dumped for apd'. and ipf's for the Acorn Archimedes.

@Vanpeebles,
Once all is set up, and the A1200 is doing its job, I will pass it onto you if thats OK to dump your vast collection!!
Old 02 July 2009, 22:37   #149
Easter

Hi All,

I've just stumbled on this whilst trying to work out how to get an old copy of Pandoras Box onto my PC. I was clearing the Mother-In-Laws loft out, and it was her favourite game. We chucked it in the skip, but I have rescued it in the hope I could get it to work!

Can anyone help, or let me have a copy? I don't have an Amiga any more, unfortunately, and don't know how I can get the PC to read the disks. The day I threw the trusty A500 away was a very sad day :-(. If anyone can get me a copy, they can have the original box and disks, for the postage costs. It says 'Acorn BBC A3000 & ALL Archimedes Computers', if that helps.

cheers,

Ian :-)

Old 02 July 2009, 22:41   #150
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Ian, and welcome to EAB!

You can read these disks on a PC and make images of them for use with emulators.

See this post

prowler

Edit: PS. You can even make copies of the disks with those tools.
Old 02 July 2009, 23:33   #151
MarkYoungIW

@Easter,
I think Pandora's box was copy protected if I remember correctly. You may have to bare with us on this one. I will check as soon as I get a moment, but I think what you are looking for is an image, and an emulator to play it on, so sure one of us can guide you in the right direction here.
Old 02 July 2009, 23:35   #152
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkYoungIW View Post
@Easter,
I think Pandora's box was copy protected if I remember correctly.
Hmm... It won't copy with ArcImg then, IIRC.
Old 03 July 2009, 00:49   #153
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkYoungIW View Post
@Easter,
I think Pandora's box was copy protected if I remember correctly.
I have an image I tried to make with ArcEm. It's 800kiB (so I think that means there wasn't any weird formatting?), but I also have a note saying it didn't work because of copy protection.

Old 03 July 2009, 00:57   #154
prowler
Global Moderator

IIRC, when ArcImg tries to copy bad sectors, it pads the image with blank characters ($5A), so the image will be 800kB for an ADFS 800k disk, whether the disk is copy protected or not.
Old 03 July 2009, 09:20   #155
MarkYoungIW

I am working on this still. I think I have a solution. Watch this space.
Old 03 July 2009, 12:26   #156
Tom Walker

I have imaged Pandora's Box, but I've only got the original RISC OS 2 only version. If you (or anyone else) has a RISC OS 3 compatible version then it would be worth getting it dumped.
Old 03 July 2009, 14:14   #157
vanpeebles

Hello again, I'm a complete novice when it comes to amigas, but I have here a CD32 with an SX-1 expansion and some external cumana drives, will that be upto the task?

Just to add I think I have the A5000 version of sim city 2000.

Last edited by vanpeebles; 03 July 2009 at 14:46.

Old 03 July 2009, 15:56   #158
MarkYoungIW

Hmmm...........I know nothing about Amiga's yet either, but the SX-1 gives a parallel port, and if you have a disc drive, then I guess yes!!!

Will need some advice from an Amiga owner here, as I havent got mine yet to experiment, but I am guessing first you need workbench? Then you need the SPS dumping tool for dumping to create IPF's, then also as above, you would need rawread for dumping to create apds.

So, lets assume to start with we will have a go at an apd, hopefully Tom can talk you through this, but I imagine, if you have no hard drive, you will need PC2Amiga, and a Parallel Null modem cable.

So, if you could advise Tom, I am guessing Vanpeebles will need to load up workbench? Then load up PC2Amiga, then rawread? Naturally if we can do it this way, without having to splash out on extra hardware this would seem a fast way of progressing dumping. (I may be talking rubbish here, as like I say, I havent got an amiga yet to test this process, in fact picking it up on Tuesday).

Then, after a sucessful apd is created, its off to the SPS dumping process, so I will let them advise you if your setup could dump the discs for them to create ipf's.
Old 03 July 2009, 16:35   #159
Tom Walker

I'd guess it should be possible to dump discs using an SX-1, but I've never seen one so I can't say for sure. I also couldn't comment on using PC2Amiga, I've never got it to work. That's why I'm using null modem cable instead.

Most Krisalis games are unprotected, so you should be able to dump A5000 SimCity 2000 on a PC using something like Omniflop. In fact you'd have to, as it's on high density discs I think?
Old 06 July 2009, 11:28   #160
MarkYoungIW

@SPS,
As my A1200 will be with me tommorrow, and I have some stuff to dump, how do I go about getting your dumping tools and instructions!?