English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 24 April 2015, 21:03   #141
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
Any benefit or new features running FS-UAE on a Retina MacBook or Macbook Pro?
Compared to what? More horsepower is always a good thing, but if you run, say A500/A1200 emulation, and it already runs fast enough you don't really need more horsepower. More on-screen pixels won't do much good either, unless you are using some special CRT-emulation shader which can use high-density displays for more accurate effects, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma693541 View Post
Where do I find the FS-UAE Laucher in Windows 8.1 64Bit? I have no Desktop icon for it.
The installer does not put an icon on the desktop. It puts a FS-UAE Launcher entry on the start menu (in "Programs"). I'm aware Microsoft has changed the start menu in Windows 8.x, but surely you'll find it there somewhere. If not, I guess you can search for "launcher" on the start menu. Any complaints can be directed to Microsoft
Old 24 April 2015, 23:50   #142
ma693541
Computer Wizard

Frode, I got it. The Launcher is hidden here; c:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\fs-uae\
Old 27 April 2015, 19:38   #143
Cylon

Maybe it is answered somewhere deep down in this thread already:
on Mac OS X (Mavericks) when untrap (or how do you call it?) from the emulation with the middle mousebutton to reach OS X for a while, i often zoom the UAE window into the dock, sometimes by accident too. After that i cannot properly use the mouse anymore in the emulation.When i go back to emu again with the middle mousebutton i have to hold the left mousebutton all the time to move the mouse cursor around. So this is irritating and requires a restart of this emulation session.
Also, i cannot use the fullscreen mode in a proper way OS X wise, the fullscreen mode is therefore on OS X useless (on my machine) because i cannot do anything else until i quit the emulation session. Any help for this from anybody?

FS uae 2.4
Old 06 May 2015, 20:38   #144
rodland

Since I updated my Debian to the latest version "Jessie", FS-UAE has not started.

If I try to run "FS-UAE" from terminal, it gets jammed, displays only the terminal screen, does not open any other window and mouse gets jammed until I kill the program by pressing ALT+F4
see the terminal output from this screenshot (that's how it looks when it's jammed):
http://personal.inet.fi/clan/mothers...screenshot.png

If I try to run FS-UAE Launcher from the OS menu, it gets jammed at the moment when I try to start emulation (configuration windows work fine). A small "Launching FS-UAE" window appears and I can hear some fake disk drive noise for some time, but nothing else happens. Actually, the mouse pointer gets jammed in a way that even killing the program does not restore mouse movement but I have to log out my Linux user.

here's my fs-uae logfile:
http://pastebin.com/bkmBXia4

I first tried the program after updgrading Debian and then I updated it by following the instructions from program's home page. In both cases it seems to behave similarly.

If you can tell me, how to get the program running, I'd be grateful

Old 08 May 2015, 15:53   #145
Goingdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodland View Post
Since I updated my Debian to the latest version "Jessie", FS-UAE has not started.
I don't really know the issue you are having, but you could try to install FS-UAE Development version. http://fs-uae.net/download-devel#debian

Latest stable is pretty old and Jessie is rather new, so probably this is bad combination of some libraries.
Old 08 May 2015, 21:36   #146
amiga_Forever
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hi all..

FS-UAE (stable version) build dialogs are practically unusable in Yosemite 10.10.3 on Mac.

Here is what i get from the log :-

FIXME: get_screen_size
FIXME: get_screen_size
FIXME: ComboBox not respecting read_only (because of missing lineEdit then

FS-UAE.app/Contents/MacOS/fs-uae-device-helper', u'list']
'# listing keyboards\nK: Keyboard\n# listing mice\nM: Mouse\nM: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad\n# listing joysticks\n# SDL_NumJoysticks(): 0\n# listing joysticks done\n'
QListView selectionModel <PySide.QtGui.QItemSelectionModel object at 0x84e53c8>
QListView selectionModel <PySide.QtGui.QItemSelectionModel object at 0x84e59b8>

Its basically unusuable.. Any solutions ?
Old 09 May 2015, 22:41   #147
amigafreak68k

Try development version and look if the same errors appears...
Old 09 May 2015, 23:45   #148
amiga_Forever

Developer version works ok... (I wish i knew how to code).

Seems i got switchblade and Impossible mission II to work..... wrong kickstart....

I thought Amiga 500+ only used 1.3 kickstart and 2.04 was for A600 and A1200. Maybe I was wrong??

Last edited by amiga_Forever; 10 May 2015 at 14:08.
Old 10 May 2015, 14:15   #149
amigafreak68k

A500+ introduced 2.04. the same KS as A600. The A1200 introduced 3.0
Old 12 May 2015, 21:04   #150
TenLeftFingers

fs-uae-arcade and fs-uae positioning on Ubuntu

In the attachments (I hope they are listed in the order I uploaded them), you can see that bothe fs-uae-arcade and fs-uae are offset by the Unity launcher as well as the global menu. The result is that the picture is cropped.

In the second image, you can see that in Lotus Turbo Challenge I can't see my RPMs well enough to time my gear changes (at least, I'm blaming you for now Frode for my poor results )

In the final image, I've used linux's alt+mouse grab trick to center the arcade display. This would be better for the Arcade and fs-uae but above all, a fullscreen mode would be best. Something that doesn't need special config.

So, I'm making a request for this feature so that I am not missing part of the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2015-05-12 19:52:01.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	44187   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2015-05-12 19:58:53.png
Views:	269
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	44188   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2015-05-12 19:54:40.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	44190  
Old 28 May 2015, 21:54   #151
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

it seems FS-UAE won't start if you try to give it 32Mb Fast RAM. I just reduced it to 4Mb and then it worked. I haven't tried to see exactly where the threshold is.
Old 29 May 2015, 00:04   #152
amiga_Forever

Few issues i'd like to point out in the the latest development version of FS-UAE:

- get rid of the different volume level sounds to emulate what drive a disk is in...... The user already know this before they start the FS-UAE (from Launcher)... The louder sounds (df4) if all drives have disks, gets really annoying.. Why was this done ?

- apart from the sounds alone, there is no visual indication as to which drive is being accessed. This think this has always been there.

- When playing adventure games (Monkey island series, Darkseed, and others, and working in window view, the portion of the emulator is not captured,, Therefore, when u reach either side of the window the cross-hair/mouse/cursor in the game will drift over the window to your host... This is a annoying since u must try and line up the emulated game input so it will try and not drift... I guess switching to full screen is a workaround. Possible fix in the later versions?

Maybe this last point has always been in FS-UAE (not sure), but if accessing virtual disks from other physical external drives, all media is loaded (so i would think) at bootup of the emulator, so i could unplug my external drive and still continue to play Monkey island 2, even switching media still works, cos i assume, its all loaded in memory, so no need for physical access.
Old 10 June 2015, 19:11   #153
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenLeftFingers View Post
So, I'm making a request for this feature so that I am not missing part of the picture.
Hi, and sorry for the un-timely reply If you use the development version, does that work better for you? If not, please post to the development thread and attach log files!

(The plan is to create a new stable version based on the development version soon anyway)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
it seems FS-UAE won't start if you try to give it 32Mb Fast RAM. I just reduced it to 4Mb and then it worked. I haven't tried to see exactly where the threshold is.
Hmm, I think it should start anyway. If you are talking about Zorro II fast RAM, then the max limit is 8 MB, for Zorro III fast RAM, the limit is much higher. It could also be a bug in in the stable version. The development version at least, will show an on-screen error message if you have tried to configure too much Zorro II ram!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiga_Forever View Post
Few issues i'd like to point out in the the latest development version of FS-UAE:

- get rid of the different volume level sounds to emulate what drive a disk is in...... The user already know this before they start the FS-UAE (from Launcher)... The louder sounds (df4) if all drives have disks, gets really annoying.. Why was this done ?
This is a bug, I think it is fixed in the latest dev version due to inclusion of more recent WinUAE code (haven't checked).

(PS: please post more follow-up regarding the dev version in the development version thread instead )

Quote:
- apart from the sounds alone, there is no visual indication as to which drive is being accessed. This think this has always been there.
Yes, there isn't a visual indication. It is possible to create FS-UAE themes with such an indicator, but I haven't created any good docs on how to do this.

Quote:
- When playing adventure games (Monkey island series, Darkseed, and others, and working in window view, the portion of the emulator is not captured,, Therefore, when u reach either side of the window the cross-hair/mouse/cursor in the game will drift over the window to your host... This is a annoying since u must try and line up the emulated game input so it will try and not drift... I guess switching to full screen is a workaround. Possible fix in the later versions?
The mouse should be automatically captured in window mode too, unless you have disabled that option. If you have disabled initial mouse grab, you can either enable it again, or use the middle mouse button to grab the mouse cursor.

Quote:
Maybe this last point has always been in FS-UAE (not sure), but if accessing virtual disks from other physical external drives, all media is loaded (so i would think) at bootup of the emulator, so i could unplug my external drive and still continue to play Monkey island 2, even switching media still works, cos i assume, its all loaded in memory, so no need for physical access.
Generally no, FS-UAE will not cache media in memory. In some cases though, FS-UAE Launcher will create temporary copies of the media before launching FS-UAE, and in these cases you will be able to remove an external drive, but the short and simple answer is: don't do it
Old 11 June 2015, 02:24   #154
TenLeftFingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
Hi, and sorry for the un-timely reply If you use the development version, does that work better for you? If not, please post to the development thread and attach log files!

(The plan is to create a new stable version based on the development version soon anyway)
The development version is good as it covers the desktop completely. I should have tried before posting, thank you.
Old 31 July 2015, 23:33   #155
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
Hmm, I think it should start anyway. If you are talking about Zorro II fast RAM, then the max limit is 8 MB, for Zorro III fast RAM, the limit is much higher. It could also be a bug in in the stable version. The development version at least, will show an on-screen error message if you have tried to configure too much Zorro II ram!
With this line in Default.fs-uae it works:
Code:
fast_memory = 8192
with this it doesn't:
Code:
fast_memory = 16384
Is that Zorro II then? I just wanted Fast RAM, don't really know or care what type. There was no error message, it just gets stuck on a black screen.
Old 31 July 2015, 23:42   #156
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Code:
fast_memory = 16384
Is that Zorro II then? I just wanted Fast RAM, don't really know or care what type. There was no error message, it just gets stuck on a black screen.
Yes, that is Zorro II fast RAM. If you want to have 16 MB fast RAM, you must instead use zorro_iii_memory = 1638, but note that this is not possible with 68000 or 68ec020 CPUs (only 24-bit addressing). You can use zorro_iii_memory together with amiga_model = A1200/020 for example.
Old 01 August 2015, 23:44   #157
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

thanks Frode, 32Mb works for me in Zorro III, so i can emulate my real Amiga's spec... but there is no A1200/060?
Old 02 August 2015, 11:04   #158
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
thanks Frode, 32Mb works for me in Zorro III, so i can emulate my real Amiga's spec... but there is no A1200/060?
Not as such, but you can combine amiga_model = A1200 with uae_cpu = 68060

(or just cpu = 68060 when using the development version)
Old 07 August 2015, 19:40   #159
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

I am pleased to announce the release of FS-UAE 2.6.0beta1

The current stable version is quite old, and recent FS-UAE versions provide many advantages over the older 2.4.x versions. I am releasing this as a semi-stable version. This means that new users are directed to download this version, but users of 2.4.1 / 2.4.3 will not get in-app update until after the beta phase.

Improvements over version 2.4.3 include:
  • Updated emulation code from WinUAE 3.1.0.
  • Support for PPC emulation (can run AmigaOS 4.x) via QEMU-UAE plugin.
  • More emulated hardware support (Toccata, A2061, Picasso IV, …).
  • Better support for modern OS versions due to using SDL 2.0.
  • Built-in support for multiple displays, and fixes for HiDPI displays.
  • The Launcher supports modern OS versions better due to using QT 5.x.
  • Much improved FS-UAE Launcher user interface.
  • FS-UAE mouse integration (Workbench cursor follows host cursor).
  • Updated internal kickstart replacement from AROS.
  • Dual joystick/mouse mode for joystick port 0.
  • Official builds for SteamOS (Linux + Steam runtime).
  • OS X apps are now digitally signed (Apple Developer ID).
  • Many bug fixes.
  • … and a lot of other improvements. See the ChangeLog entries for full details.
Support for IPF disk images is now provided by a plugin which you need to download separately.
Old 09 August 2015, 01:32   #160
rlake
Hittin' the hardware...

I don't know if there's a thread/database with these somewhere but here's a very basic config I use for a Real Arcade Pro joystick. Works a treat with FS-UAE, thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: txt rap_n3.ini.txt (135 Bytes, 121 views)
File Type: txt RAP.N3 joystick and gamepad tester.txt (2.0 KB, 121 views)