English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 13 October 2023, 06:41   #1521
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

I was wondering the same, it looks more colourful in the other videos.
Old 13 October 2023, 06:44   #1522
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
No
Old 13 October 2023, 09:11   #1523
zzbylu
Saberman

It's a question of monitor settings, the lighting in the room when filming. This is why the blue colour 'stands out' so much.
Old 13 October 2023, 10:02   #1524
CaptainNow
Eleventh Hour Games

That is breathtaking

I saw someone else had mentioned this engine suiting an RPG, man, I would be over the moon with an RPG using this engine.

I am very much looking forward to getting this game, it's incredible what people can do.
Old 13 October 2023, 11:41   #1525
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

This is really an amazing effort. Great job, Tsak.
Old 13 October 2023, 13:32   #1526
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Its time to send this to John Carmack, i can donate an A500 ;-)
You know, he'd probably just shrug it off. At the end of the day, this game isn't Doom. It may share some architectural design choices (things like BSP and so forth) but I think that Carmack's original position was unfortunately correct: The Doom that id Softaware developed in 1993 would simply not run on an Amiga back then except perhaps for a tiny number of expanded workstation class machines and even then suboptimally.

He didn't say that an A500 class machine was incapable of running a textured FPS game designed specifically with both the capabilities and limitations of the specific hardware in mind. It just wasn't capable of running the game they'd built. Also he had no desire to build one that could, either.

And in the end, he made sure that the source code of all the 3D engines he built were released to the open source community. I am pretty sure he knows that an Amiga can run Doom these days. It's easier to count the things that can't .
Old 13 October 2023, 14:46   #1527
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
It's easier to count the things that can't .
Still can't over the fact that it runs on a Lego brick [ Show youtube player ]
Old 13 October 2023, 15:27   #1528
eXeler0

Quote:
You know, he'd probably just shrug it off. At the end of the day, this game isn't Doom. It may share some architectural design choices (things like BSP and so forth) but I think that Carmack's original position was unfortunately correct: The Doom that id Softaware developed in 1993 would simply not run on an Amiga back then except perhaps for a tiny number of expanded workstation class machines and even then suboptimally.

He didn't say that an A500 class machine was incapable of running a textured FPS game designed specifically with both the capabilities and limitations of the specific hardware in mind. It just wasn't capable of running the game they'd built. Also he had no desire to build one that could, either.

And in the end, he made sure that the source code of all the 3D engines he built were released to the open source community. I am pretty sure he knows that an Amiga can run Doom these days. It's easier to count the things that can't .

You are factually correct and I agree but it still bothers me after all these years that first they dismissed the Amiga and then ported Doom to a bunch of other systems (either themselves or through 3rd party) and in a lot of cases significant cutdown needed to be made so basically it wasnt really just a port of the Doom game as it plays,looks and sounds on a high-ish end PC of that era.
Old 13 October 2023, 15:38   #1529
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
You are factually correct and I agree but it still bothers me after all these years that first they dismissed the Amiga and then ported Doom to a bunch of other systems (either themselves or through 3rd party) and in a lot of cases significant cutdown needed to be made so basically it wasnt really just a port of the Doom game as it plays,looks and sounds on a high-ish end PC of that era.
That's the 'problem' with a lot of games around that time. They would have been technically possible on an Amiga (depending on the model more or less cut down), but there simply wasn't enough commercial interest in porting them. Still would be great to see the figures that Atari and Sega paid to make the Jaguar and 32X versions happen.
Old 13 October 2023, 15:59   #1530
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
You are taking that too personally. Sure the megadrive got a port. However, the megadrive port was commercially viable with the SuperFX2 based cartridge making up for the lack of basically everything. Was a lowest-common-denominator Amiga port?
Old 13 October 2023, 16:10   #1531
eXeler0

Quote:
You are taking that too personally. Sure the megadrive got a port. However, the megadrive port was commercially viable with the SuperFX2 based cartridge making up for the lack of basically everything. Was a lowest-common-denominator Amiga port?

We got an official Quake-port through ClickBoom, that only runs on 060 basically,
By the time Doom was released there were plenty of 030 users so I guess amiga with 16MHz 030 + 2MB fast could have been a reasonable target for a decent amount of Amiga users, but yea…
Commercially I dont blame id for not porting themselves. ;-)
And when I say it bothers me its not like it really bothering me, its a mild annoyance in the back of my head, not losing any sleep over it ;-)
Old 13 October 2023, 16:13   #1532
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
They would have been technically possible on an Amiga (depending on the model more or less cut down), but there simply wasn't enough commercial interest in porting them.
Exactly, though I'm not sure how technically possible it was looking at the time for the A500 (A1200 use base was too tiny to consider).

We need to remember that coding for a platform with a hindsight of 20-30 years of development is not the same as being there and then. So perhaps at the time it really seemed an impossible task.

That's not to take away from the skills of KK and others, of course, which might be another factor - geniuses are a rare breed by definition.
Old 13 October 2023, 16:16   #1533
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
We got an official Quake-port through ClickBoom, that only runs on 060 basically,
Team 17 actually tried to get the Doom license, but it was too expensive: https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php...94#post1642194
Old 13 October 2023, 17:00   #1534
Dunny

Quote:
By the time Doom was released there were plenty of 030 users so I guess amiga with 16MHz 030 + 2MB fast could have been a reasonable target for a decent amount of Amiga users
Define plenty. Not being a dick, I'm genuinely curious as to how many people, worldwide, had that kind of setup. Doom was what, '93? I didn't update from my A1000 until at least '96 to an 030 and that was phenomenally expensive with 4MB and a 360MB HDD.

I gather that there were a lot less actual 1200s out there than I thought (I'd guessed millions but apparently not) so do we have any figures for 030 minimum in '93?
Old 13 October 2023, 17:14   #1535
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Doom was very late 1993, so let's say shortly before Commodore folded would have been the earliest possible time for a port. A1200 started to sell in late 1992/early 1993, so it's unlikely that most of them had a 030 in them by that time.
Old 13 October 2023, 17:36   #1536
eXeler0

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Doom_ports
Sega port was late 1994 no reason to think Amiga would have gotten it earlier. At that point at least I had a Blizzard 1230 50 MHz and I didnt have a job yet. And you have to believe that a Doom port would have been the killer app that would encourage ppl to upgrade. ;-)
If not Doom then what would back then?
Old 13 October 2023, 17:57   #1537
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Me am Still p1553d about Outrun Strider and Black tiger ports, it hurts -_- but is kinda OT so i stop here
Old 13 October 2023, 19:31   #1538
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Doom_ports
Sega port was late 1994 no reason to think Amiga would have gotten it earlier. At that point at least I had a Blizzard 1230 50 MHz and I didnt have a job yet. And you have to believe that a Doom port would have been the killer app that would encourage ppl to upgrade. ;-)
If not Doom then what would back then?
Amiga was ripe for porting from the day Doom was released, if not before. Doom was developed on a 68k machine and had optimized code ready to go. The A4000 had the grunt, but Carmack didn't know about C2P so he didn't realize it. Perhaps not many A4000s were out there at the time, but so what? A shareware release wouldn't cost them much and would get the ball rolling. Would have been a huge encouragement for Amiga fans to upgrade.

In 1994 there were several accelerator cards for the A1200 that would be suitable, as well as 030/040 cards for the A2000, A3000, and A4000. Also several RTG cards had been available since 1993, such as the Picasso II which I had in my A3000. The sad thing is that by the time Doom was available for the Amiga (in 1997 when id released the Linux source) most of us had already played it on the PC and weren't that interested in an Amiga version.

The Sega Mega Drive couldn't get Doom until late November 1994 when the 32X was released. Even then, a lot of work was needed to squash it into the Mega Drive. Doom was ported to the Amiga a mere two days after the Linux source was released, which shows how easy it was.

Anyhow, Dread/Grind proves that we could have have had a Wolf3D/Doom style game in 1987! If only someone had thought of it. Imagine what that would done for the Amiga! I'm going to pretend it's 1988 again and I just got a 2MB RAM expansion for my A1000...
Old 13 October 2023, 20:01   #1539
Karlos
Alien Bleed

The NeXT machine that Carmack developed the Doom engine on had an 040 but even with the hardware it had, he is on record as saying it took the full power of the CPU to run it. The stock A4000/040 was an absolutely terrible implementation by comparison, riddled with bottlenecks and compromises and not many people had one.

I still think his assessment was correct at the time.
Old 13 October 2023, 21:13   #1540
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
Would have been a huge encouragement for Amiga fans to upgrade.
That blizzard 030 + 4MB Fast + 360MB HDD was more than the cost of my Amiga and that was like 1996. There was no way I could have afforded that at the time Doom was released, and none of the people I knew could either; upgrades were seriously expensive.