English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 13 January 2020, 10:42   #121
Glen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I watched it last night. Well done on completion. But I would like to suggest something.... Coloured buttons to match the cd32 scheme. Did you consider?
Yes I did consider this and I really was of 2 minds for what to do. I think I prefer the look of the black buttons as colours I think would look to messy.

One idea is to put a thin colour acrylic disk below each button that should allow you to see the colour. An alternative to this is to use frosted acrylic and some lighting but that might be a bit cheesy.

My other idea is just to make up stickers of the icons from the CD32 joypad and fix those to the buttons.

I suppose once you know the controls for a game it doesn't really matter but in the long run I'd like to do something.
Old 20 January 2020, 22:03   #122
Glen M

A quick walk through video of Amiga Ireland from last weekend. Excuse the quality as I only had my phone to record on and it was stuck to 720p.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 21 January 2020, 08:48   #123
Gardhul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
A quick walk through video of Amiga Ireland from last weekend. Excuse the quality as I only had my phone to record on and it was stuck to 720p.

[ Show youtube player ]
This is great: you surely had a good time! it's amazing to see many people together sharing that passion! I'm trying too to get an amiga again to revive some old memories...
Old 21 January 2020, 09:46   #124
Glen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardhul View Post
This is great: you surely had a good time! it's amazing to see many people together sharing that passion! I'm trying too to get an amiga again to revive some old memories...
It was a great weekend and my first Amiga event. Everyone was very approachable, friendly and eager to talk about our computers. Was great putting faces to names of those people you chat to online and I loved seeing the likes of the A-EON machines and an A4000/60 in action.

Best advice I can give you if your looking an Amiga is to keep an eye on local classified advertisements such as Gumtree here in the UK. On eBay if you see something you like just put in your max bid and leave it, try not to get sucked into a bidding war.
Old 25 January 2020, 15:17   #125
Glen M

In this weeks video I show you how to use large partitions under workbench 3.1

In a previous video I said there was a limit of 4gb per partition under 3.1 but this is incorrect. Using large partitions is really easy as I show in the video.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 05 February 2020, 10:22   #126
Glen M

Bit late with this weeks video because the 3DO I was trying to repair turned into a complete headache.

A quick recap and a quick swap of a dead laser should fix this machine but these things are never that simple. At least we learn something very interesting about an old Apple Performa along the way

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 09 February 2020, 16:34   #127
Glen M

In this weeks video we continue looking at the 3DO to carry out the 240P mod. In its standard form the 3DO outputs 480i interlaced video despite the fact that it renders internally at 240p progressive. When the video signal is converted to 480i some detail is lost in the output, the mod restores this.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 17 February 2020, 11:41   #128
Glen M

In this weeks video we start looking at one of two dead C64 boards. The amount of damage on this board is far greater than I first thought but by the end we start to make some progress.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 19 February 2020, 21:50   #129
Glen M

Just a very quick mid week update video on the C64 board. I fixed my av cable and the sound is working which is great news. Colours are still screwed up though so must be that colour ram.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 23 February 2020, 17:19   #130
Glen M

I've taken delivery of some new parts and my test kit so time to get the C64 board finished.

I've 3 more of these to get working and I'd been keen to know if you lot would like to see more content like this.

I might condense the next repair into a single video rather than spreading it over 2.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 01 March 2020, 14:01   #131
Glen M

I'm back again this week with another dead C64 board to repair.

This is the board that we borrowed some parts from in the last repair video but I couldn't leave it like that. In this video we drop in some sockets, replace the chips we borrowed and see whats happening. I know this board suffered a rather catastrophic over voltage which is the cause of the black screen but I didn't expect it to leave all but 1 ram chip dead. The faulty chips get very hot which I show using the heat gun and compare it against one of my good working boards.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 01 March 2020, 16:24   #132
robben74

Nice channel. I love youtube retro-content.

Thanks for that!
Old 01 March 2020, 19:03   #133
Glen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by robben74 View Post
Nice channel. I love youtube retro-content.

Thanks for that!
Thanks, plenty more content to come.
Old 02 March 2020, 15:48   #134
LongLifeA1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post

[ Show youtube player ]
Late reply, but I wanted to say:
Very cool!

Thank you for sharing.
Old 03 March 2020, 16:33   #135
Glen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLifeA1200 View Post
Late reply, but I wanted to say:
Very cool!

Thank you for sharing.

Never to late. Thanks for watching. Had a great time at Amiga Ireland. Looking forward to next year and I'll make sure to bring a better camera next time.
Old 08 March 2020, 16:37   #136
Glen M

This weeks video is a viewer request. Repairing a Commodore 64 keyboard.

If there is anything in particular you would like me to cover in a future video let me know here or in the video comments.

I'm trying to grow my channel coverage so I'd be grateful for any feedback.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 22 March 2020, 15:28   #137
Glen M

This week we take a look at different options for a hard disk in your Amiga. CF, SD, IDE. Which one will come out on top.

For the benchmarks we use SysInfo and SysSpeed.

Systems used is a stock A1200, A1200 with 4mb fast, A1200 with 030 accelerator and the CD32 with the TF330.

Each test is run 3 times using scsi.device.43.45 and scsi.device.44.20.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 31 March 2020, 11:48   #138
Glen M

Time to start looking at the Commodore 64C.

Turned out to be more involved than I first thought so its turned into another 2 parter (at least).

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 05 April 2020, 18:40   #139
Glen M

Part 2 of the Commodore 64C. This week I finish off the board started last time and take a look at the other one too finding more dead chips!

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 19 April 2020, 17:32   #140
Glen M

Something a bit different this week as we take a break from the computers to take a look at a 31 year old handheld classic. The Nintendo Gameboy. Hope that doesn't make you feel too old!

Tear down, clean, recap and backlight with bivert mod.

[ Show youtube player ]