English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.SPS (was CAPS)

Old 30 December 2002, 12:16   #121
fiath

Quote:
Originally posted by MethodGit
BTW, forgot to ask earlier - so it's possible to finally install games like Commando, Cybernoid II and Virus with WHDLoad in WinUAE thanks to the IPFs?
Hehe, *that* is a very good observation.

IPFs are original disk images.

Therefore, yes of course it is possible, so long the WHDLoad supported version of the game is the same version of the IPF and as long as UAE if fully compatible.
Old 30 December 2002, 12:17   #122
Konrad

Damn, everythime I see you avatar, fiath, I wonder where I've seen it before...yes I know, off topic :P.
Old 30 December 2002, 12:20   #123
fiath

I just picked it from the list of them as I love the game! I should change it though really.

You should seeing more of that particular character at some point... *cough*.
Old 30 December 2002, 12:26   #124
fiath

Quote:
Originally posted by Burseg
I think absence of ipz is a major drawback and I don't often ask anyone what to think.
Okay, this has alredy been discussed but:

I doubt it would be called IPZ. This may imply to people that it is just a disk image. It is probably more likely to be called "zip" but this depends on what Toni whats to do too. Personally, I am not one for corrupting file extensions, even if I do think relying on a file extension to tell a file type is silly anyway.

Amiga did it so much better, as always.

Anyway, it is just not important right now. That doesn't mean it will never be... Just that we provide something we think is wonderful and work to the limit because we love doing it (thank some of us are on holiday otherwise there would be a big ZERO releases right now) and people always want MORE.

Last edited by fiath; 30 December 2002 at 12:35.
Old 30 December 2002, 12:41   #125
fiath

On a different note:

I am not really phased by anybodies comments here. I prepared myself for worse. However, please try to be respectful because other people in CAPS may take offense. I am sure some of the comments here are not quite meant they way they can be interpreted (?), but please re-read what you say before you post because this board is read by important people in CAPS.

Nothing would happen if you DID offend people, CAPS is too important for that (we think anyway) just that it is not very nice.

I personally am doing this for free because I love it - I love doing it - I am doing it for **me**. I think the same goes for the other guys in CAPS (who do a lot more work on it than I do).

We always said we don't want fame - that is why we don't publically say who is in the project, and who does what. Because we don't care about that. We are doing it because we believe it is important.

Poll: Perhaps we should have stayed "a la Nicola" of MAME ?

(but then you wouldn't get any questions answered )
Old 30 December 2002, 14:10   #126
Tourniquet

Quote:
Originally posted by fiath
Poll: Perhaps we should have stayed "a la Nicola" of MAME ?
But he's not quite so anonymous if you frequent Italian emulation newsgroups/boards. On another note I can't see how anyone could get upset by the comments so far.

Quote:
(but then you wouldn't get any questions answered :p)
Ah, but you people are still pretty anonymous. I have no idea who has done what. There is no source like MAME to pour over or a thesis to read :)

I do have a couple of quick things I've thought of.
How does Caps handle saving? I guess it's possible that there are games that will rely on saving data back to the disk and of course you won't want to modify the .ipf file. So the changes could be saved to some form of diff file? (Obviously there won't be any thing interesting about the tracks in question).

And, um. Nope, it's gone.

Old 30 December 2002, 15:05   #127
fiath

I didn't know that about Nicola

Quote:
Originally posted by Tourniquet
On another note I can't see how anyone could get upset by the comments so far.
Many small sparks ignite a large fire. Not just EAB. I was just wanting people to stay nice, but of course *constructive* critisism is welcome.

It is probably very hard seeing people either talk down your work or ask for more - when you have spent such an incredible amount of effort on it already. I just want people to be aware of this. No more, no less.

Quote:

Ah, but you people are still pretty anonymous. I have no idea who has done what. There is no source like MAME to pour over or a thesis to read
We credit external contributors to the project as much as possible, because without them our job would be much harder. This is not quite as good as it could be atm, since we do not have the dump database up yet.

Quote:

I do have a couple of quick things I've thought of.
How does Caps handle saving? I guess it's possible that there are games that will rely on saving data back to the disk and of course you won't want to modify the .ipf file. So the changes could be saved to some form of diff file? (Obviously there won't be any thing interesting about the tracks in question).
In short: We don't.

When the mastering tool is released any saving is done as the original disk did it (obviously).

Emulator implementation is not our responsibilty, but before Toni gets a mass of mails, I will tell you it has been done exactly as you described. I guess you will have to wait until the next (? - I guess) release...

I guess it is not that important anyway until a game is released that does that.

Last edited by fiath; 30 December 2002 at 15:11.
Old 30 December 2002, 16:44   #128
fiath

Quote:
Originally posted by Tourniquet
Ah, but you people are still pretty anonymous. I have no idea who has done what. There is no source like MAME to pour over or a thesis to read
You obviously have not read the WIP's from the beginning!

Thesis: read through the WIPs from day 1. It's quite interesting if you are into this sort of thing. Pretty boring for anyone else though.

Sources: this is mostly due to the poor copyright issues surrounding the various Amiga IPs. In this nasty environment we have to prevent any kind of misuse of the IP - this is something we are forced to do, or everybody can say goodbye to the completely free image library and ipf files. We don't want that !

Maybe one day, maybe not. Either way, there is not a huge amount of point.

About us: we don't much care really. Perhaps this is unusal in any "scene", especially the Amiga one, but we are used to it from professional life. You might catch an easter egg one day though... If there is a lot of interest we might publish a few words on ourselves, but there are too many other more important things to do!
Old 30 December 2002, 19:25   #129
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Well, I have been reading four pages of all this, ingesting it all, in addition to the various other related threads. Now I must make my comments.

@CAPS team
Thank you!
Old 30 December 2002, 19:56   #130
Interceptor

i think it's time a CAPS forum was made, this thread is huge.

whaddayareckon?
Old 30 December 2002, 21:05   #131
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Interceptor

whaddayareckon?
not a bad idea
Fiath, agree + mod there ?
Old 31 December 2002, 02:31   #132
fiath

Okay, this might not be a bad idea! Just one thing, I don't know what is expected of mods on the forums... I only say this because I sometimes have very little time, even for CAPS.

Also, if we did do it, I would prefer it thought of as a discussion place for CAPS related stuff rather that an "official forum" purely because I don't want it to turn into some sort of support center. Is this okay?

Anyway, were you planning on moving all the current CAPS threads there? Just wondered. There is some great information in this thread in particular that I would like to put in the caps site FAQ...
Old 31 December 2002, 03:01   #133
Amigaboy

Quote:
Okay, this might not be a bad idea! Just one thing, I don't know what is expected of mods on the forums... I only say this because I sometimes have very little time, even for CAPS.

Mods do shit all (I speak from experience)
Should you decide to become a mod, you'll basically just have to clean up the forum you'll be running, and doing whatever's necessary to stop people from flaming each other, etc. We're here to discuss, not to fight.
Oh. And we also try to prevent ***** (bahahaha. W@rez was censored out ) requests. This is probably YOUR highest priority since you've made it abundantly clear that CAPS will not make their images available and that we have to look elsewhere for them.

Old 31 December 2002, 03:05   #134
fiath

Okay, thanks for that.

Anyway, that is another reason why the board should not be an official one since there is rather a conflict of interest there being The Zone so close by...
Old 31 December 2002, 12:08   #135
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally posted by Interceptor

whaddayareckon?
Hey, it's not like it's as humungous as this thread right here.
Old 31 December 2002, 15:43   #136
derSammler

I found some errors in the caps releases:

#1 (Wizard Warz)
The file name of the image is "WizardWarz.ipf" but the xml says "WizardWars.ipf".

#19 (Batman The Movie 1 disk)
The file name of the image should be "BatmanTheMovie_1disk.ipf". Otherwise it does not match with the xml.

btw: Why are the box scans of Batman The Movie so terrible ? I mean, the texts at the border were cut off. Not the best way to preserve a game...

Last edited by derSammler; 31 December 2002 at 15:56.
Old 31 December 2002, 20:55   #137
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Okay, discussing it with the guys, this is sounding like a really good idea. Would it be possible for us all to mod in case one person is unavailable (that is 4 people in all)?
Of course. Which EAB's members ?

edit: subforum built.
Old 31 December 2002, 21:03   #138
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Okay, thanks for that.

Anyway, that is another reason why the board should not be an official one since there is rather a conflict of interest there being The Zone so close by...
btw, I'm bored to see most of the caps release there, I got a lot of members who have registered only to leech, and my bandwidth limit is growing every two day..
Old 31 December 2002, 21:25   #139
derSammler

@RCK: Make the zone only accessible for members with at least 10 (or more) posts. This should solve the "leech" problem...
Old 31 December 2002, 21:31   #140
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

sorry for fillin the zone and reducing your available bandwith rck

i think windowskiller's suggestion is a good one though
i won't flood the zone with any more caps releases, perhaps if we all stick to using irc for them in future?