Old 17 March 2021, 19:06   #122
skyzoo73

This is really fun

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 17 March 2021, 19:56   #123
alain.treesong
Aghnar

Thanks @skyzoo73.

Last edited by alain.treesong; 17 March 2021 at 20:07.
Old 17 March 2021, 20:14   #124
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

I DO hate that 'qwonk qwonk' guitar as much as the Whittaker metal one from xenon (due to overuse) -_-
Old 17 March 2021, 21:03   #125
alain.treesong
Aghnar

@skyzoo73
I have updated the video : [ Show youtube player ]
(the screen is bigger and nearer than the resolution of the demo that is 320x200)

I will delete the old link in some time (we cannot replace a video by another in youtube with the same url)
Old 31 July 2021, 17:08   #126
skyzoo73

this discussion started with the fireworks, but there hasn't been any news for a long time. I assume this is yet another Amiga-dream that will remain so.
Old 31 July 2021, 17:34   #127
Havie

I think there is proof that it is possible graphics wise with compromises. The main issue is there is no easy way to solve the AI problem as there is no disassembly of code to work from. Without this, it would be a huge undertaking and unless you have an encyclopedic knowledge of SF2 then it won't play right.
Old 31 July 2021, 17:41   #128
d4rk3lf

Yeah.

Shadow Fighter also proves that on A500 you can have fast gameplay with large characters, parallax and ground plane parallax... and so on
[ Show youtube player ]

However, it's probably insane amount of work for even very experienced coder and graphics/sound artist, that nobody can dedicate so much effort and time for it.
I totally understand.
Old 04 August 2021, 22:21   #129
Toni Galvez

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanScott View Post
Comparison now:

OCS Mock Up vs. SNES Screen Grab

I prefer only one plane and more/better colours for the characters.

PCEngine version got only one plane, but 3D floor and works fantastic.

Elfmania scroll/colours works very good for me.

Last edited by Toni Galvez; 04 August 2021 at 22:28.
Old 06 August 2021, 18:28   #130
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Yeah.

Shadow Fighter also proves that on A500 you can have fast gameplay with large characters, parallax and ground plane parallax... and so on
[ Show youtube player ]

However, it's probably insane amount of work for even very experienced coder and graphics/sound artist, that nobody can dedicate so much effort and time for it.
I totally understand.
I did analyze Shadow figher graphics from a video and the way they do it means probably five common WELL CHOSEN colors and two swappable for the two fighters, if we use Dual Playfield: can be done but might be kinda tedious - ok, if THIS is what is going to silence some of the PITA that say no modern game is worthy of Amiga then lets do that! [spoiler: it will not]
About the shadow fight i think each player has an alternate set of frames with the second color - that, or:
[conspiracyTheory] i wonder if the game stores player frames not as separate bitplanes but as a single one, and plots pieces according to that (with a pointer for height and width for each frame and set of supposed bitplane) - so to reverse sprites in memory faster that could also help for reverse[/conspiracyTheory]

(by the way i suggest to reduce a bit animation frames and count on speed rather than frames for fluidity)

Last edited by saimon69; 06 August 2021 at 18:58.
Old 07 August 2021, 00:51   #131
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanScott View Post
Comparison now:

OCS Mock Up vs. SNES Screen Grab

That picture always amazes me. How long do you think a project like this would have taken to do back in the day, if you were given it?

Do you loose more money because you have to pay for licensing rights or do you make it back because the license sells itself?
I'm guessing it's difficult to transform 12 characters with 16 colour (15 + 1 transparent) unique palettes down to 8 colours for dual pf, or maybe 16 shared with background then designing something for the Amiga and it's limitations.

But then I see the wizards work their magic on demos, shifting bobs and making the OCS chip scream

I was watching the shadow fighter long play video (great game, I used to play as Electra) and I was interested in how they did the status bar, It seems that on shadow fighter the status bar is a completely different part of memory as when the player jumps higher then the status bar the character isn't redrawn. On Street Fighter 2, PC Engine version, the status bar takes up the screen to overcome the drawing of the character when they are encounter or are higher then the status bar.

Need to carry on with the blitter tutorial.