English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 01 June 2020, 02:36   #121
aeberbach

Chucky, thanks for the great video! It looks like the heatsink, though big, is going to be less of an issue than many current cards as far as clearance is concerned. I have a Microbotics 030 card with SIMM on top that stops me from lowering my keyboard PCB any further in the case.

In your video it appears that (in the A1200.net case) the heatsink sits well below those chunky SIMM accelerators, and I would be able to lower the keyboard a little further.

Beautiful, huge workbench! I could see programming on a screen like that!
Old 01 June 2020, 13:39   #122
spudje

It's an awesome card, but installation also seems like a handful, not just because of the fan, and a new "required" scandoubler (at least for ideal experience), all the extra connections, but also the required soldering for full audio use, if I understand correctly. I guess I may skip it after all, since it does not do that much more what I can't with my other (big box) Amigas.
Old 01 June 2020, 14:15   #123
aeberbach

What's the deal with the scan doubler - will there be a specific scan doubler for the Warp or are you expected to have two video outputs and switch the monitor or just run two monitors, one on each output?
Old 01 June 2020, 14:58   #124
supaduper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radertified View Post
With everything happening right now, I'll take that as 2021, which I'm fine with
TF360 coming very very soon

Click image for larger version

Name:	TF360 r2 top1.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	446.2 KB
ID:	67572
Old 01 June 2020, 15:50   #125
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaduper View Post
TF360 coming very very soon

Attachment 67572
Not to hijack this thread or anything but tha tlooks nice Supaduper. You can tell its fast when the CPLDs have heatsinks :-) Also like the fact that there's a socket. I have a a rev 5 lying around and its nice to have the option of getting the card without CPU.
I'm guessing we'll soon see a new TF360 (pre)order thread soon?
Old 02 June 2020, 07:42   #126
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeberbach View Post
What's the deal with the scan doubler - will there be a specific scan doubler for the Warp or are you expected to have two video outputs and switch the monitor or just run two monitors, one on each output?
There will be a separate internal PCB that takes the video data from the motherboard to the Warp, so everything would come out of the Warp's HDMI port.
Old 02 June 2020, 09:12   #127
aeberbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
There will be a separate internal PCB that takes the video data from the motherboard to the Warp, so everything would come out of the Warp's HDMI port.
For this news I need that gif of snoopy dancing. It truly is the everything card.
Old 02 June 2020, 10:22   #128
Chucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeberbach View Post
There is a scandoubler-module under development that makes it possible to have just one monitor, there is a connector for that on the WARP.

it is currently in dev. stage. meanwhile you need to have 2 monitors. YES.
Old 02 June 2020, 10:25   #129
Chucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
It's an awesome card, but installation also seems like a handful, not just because of the fan, and a new "required" scandoubler (at least for ideal experience), all the extra connections, but also the required soldering for full audio use, if I understand correctly. I guess I may skip it after all, since it does not do that much more what I can't with my other (big box) Amigas.
well you can skip the possability of using 16 bit audio in all. then no soldering required. or you use the included cable for audio mixing done external.
reason for this is simply: commodore never designed the 1200 for audio expansions available internally.

fan is not mandatory. if you are happy with 50 or so MHz you can do without it.
Old 02 June 2020, 11:15   #130
wiz12

The early pictures of the scandoubler look interesting I only hope it will be as good as the Indivision AGAmk2cr and have a built-in flickerfixer too?
Old 03 June 2020, 10:35   #131
hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
if you think a vampire is good enough. then the warp wasn't for you anyway, then go for an vampire.

a 060 card is for us who want the real deal. and with all those features. price is actually cheap!

Could you elaborate on the "good enough"-part, please?

As the owner of an aging B1260 I'm curious about the new/upcoming beefier A1200 accelerators and the possibility to have RTG.

I don't want to get into the legality/licensing and accidentally step on any toes as that seems to be quite the hot topic recently. I'm just trying to gather information from a hardware perspective so that I, at some point, can make the best purchase for me.

Nice video review by the way!
Old 03 June 2020, 11:09   #132
Mathesar

Quote:
fan is not mandatory. if you are happy with 50 or so MHz you can do without it.

What is the heatsink made of? Or is it jast an airduct of some sort?
It looks 3D printed!
Old 03 June 2020, 11:10   #133
Chucky

no I will not elaborate in "good enough" as vampire is not my thing
Old 03 June 2020, 11:10   #134
Chucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathesar View Post
What is the heatsink made of? Or is it jast an airduct of some sort?
It looks 3D printed!

no idea of what material. it is not 3d printed. it is metal. but have a black coating.
Old 03 June 2020, 12:15   #135
hall

Quote:
no I will not elaborate in "good enough" as vampire is not my thing
Fair enough, just trying to learn from those more knowledgeable.
Old 03 June 2020, 12:57   #136
AMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by hall View Post

As the owner of an aging B1260 I'm curious about the new/upcoming beefier A1200 accelerators and the possibility to have RTG.
The question is for what you your Amiga use? If you play only classic Amiga games no RTG is needed - not to forget that you need something like a switch to change between both signals.(or a TFT which can switch between boths signals) If you focus more on applications or coding the 1080p RTG of the Warp is a big step forward.

Jubibench is a good benchmark to compare the CPU power between the different CPUs. In the actual spreedsheat you can find different configs incl. Warp and V1200.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_Vx...Th0gfgp3n/view
(Sheet based on jubi and updated by umpal )
Old 03 June 2020, 13:09   #137
Daedalus

The Warp 1260 has a Scandoubler module in the works that will allow it to output the native screenmodes seamlessly via the Warp's digital video output. So there won't be a need for a switching setup if you don't want it.
Old 03 June 2020, 14:23   #138
Higgy

Quote:
no idea of what material. it is not 3d printed. it is metal. but have a black coating.
From a previous video it looked to be aluminium.
It was machined from solid via CNC Mill (not cheap!)
It is not exactly a simple shape compared to typical mass produced heat sinks you would buy.
I expect it is anodized to give it the 'black body' in a thermal dynamics sense of the word, if I remember my Uni lessons correctly ??
Household radiators would be better thermally if they were painted black, but not many people want that
Old 03 June 2020, 15:22   #139
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
I expect it is anodized to give it the 'black body' in a thermal dynamics sense of the word, if I remember my Uni lessons correctly ??
Household radiators would be better thermally if they were painted black, but not many people want that
Well, partly, radiated heat efficiency depends a lot on surface finish. But at the relatively low temperatures we're talking about here, radiation makes up only a very small portion of the heat lost by the heatsink. The vast majority of the heat is lost through convection - contact with the air around it which is then moved away. Same for radiators in the home (which, in fact, don't radiate very much heat at all, so should really be called "convectors"). So the difference contributed by the black surface might only be a degree or so, making it largely a cosmetic thing. After all, when you look at CPU heatsinks in the PC world, most have a bare aluminium surface finish, and they have to deal with much higher thermal loads than an '060.

But black anodised aluminium certainly looks awesome And the expensive part as you pointed out, is the machining.
Old 04 June 2020, 00:33   #140
hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMike View Post
The question is for what you your Amiga use? If you play only classic Amiga games no RTG is needed - not to forget that you need something like a switch to change between both signals.(or a TFT which can switch between boths signals) If you focus more on applications or coding the 1080p RTG of the Warp is a big step forward.
Good point. For me it's a little bit of both actually. My classic gaming needs are already covered I'd say. For productivity I sometimes use the XTREME screenmode (1280x1024) with scandoubler on a monitor with the same native resolution. Although it is very nice to have the sharpness of a perfectly pixelmapped picture, the downside is of course that it's not exactly lightning fast and consumes a fair amount of chip RAM. That Warp 1080p RTG mode sure does look nice, doesn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMike View Post
Jubibench is a good benchmark to compare the CPU power between the different CPUs. In the actual spreedsheat you can find different configs incl. Warp and V1200.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_Vx...Th0gfgp3n/view
(Sheet based on jubi and updated by umpal )
Thanks for the link!