English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 18 June 2024, 05:20   #121
dreadnought

If there's one thing I find worrying about this project it's being tied to mandatory account & updates delivered only this way. Or am I getting this wrong?
Old 18 June 2024, 08:30   #122
Marcio D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
If there's one thing I find worrying about this project it's being tied to mandatory account & updates delivered only this way. Or am I getting this wrong?

Good point, as they haven't mentioned being able to update the system by plugging in a USB stick like you can with the A500 Mini.

Wouldn't be surprised if updates were restricted to account-based online only, if they're looking to vigorously protect from hacking / modding, etc.
Old 18 June 2024, 09:37   #123
aeberbach

Quote:

If they deny it on the next little advertising bump posted to this thread then maybe it isn't true. If it's skipped over then you know you are absolutely correct in your fears.
Old 18 June 2024, 10:04   #124
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Sorry, lost here.

Im forced to use my Steam account, just to update and play my games I have bought. Like millions of others. How is this any different, simple its not.
Lots of other platforms work this way. Another example, XBOX.

Mini, has to use downloadable file updates as it lacks internet. If it had internet, bet they would be doing same thing.
I don't think they are interested in it anyway, as they have not made any decent improvments and have moved on to their next device.

If you want to get really stupid. Im forced to login to this site just to read my PM's, . So an account is mandatory to read your pm's.

Last edited by FOL; 18 June 2024 at 10:10.
Old 18 June 2024, 10:21   #125
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Im forced to use my Steam account, just to update and play my games I have bought. Like millions of others. How is this any different, simple its not.
Lots of other platforms work this way. Another example, XBOX.
Well, one could hope that a hobby device won't follow in the path of giant corporations which shove down forced DRM down people's throats just to exert total control and lack of true ownership. And the "they do it too" and "millions of others" were never good excuses, just look at history big or small.
Quote:
If you want to get really stupid. Im forced to login to this site just to read my PM's, . So an account is mandatory to read your pm's.
Yeah, that one's really silly
Old 18 June 2024, 10:28   #126
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Im forced to use my Steam account, just to update and play my games I have bought. Like millions of others. How is this any different, simple its not. Lots of other platforms work this way. Another example, XBOX.
Hardly forced, you can just avoid these DRM-laden platforms entirely like I do. Of course these companies they will do whatever they can get away with if consumers just go along with it and governments allow it.
Old 18 June 2024, 13:28   #127
aeberbach

If you want one... https://www.amibay.com/threads/a600gs.2446873/
Old 18 June 2024, 13:59   #128
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeberbach View Post
Ah, the first raging review is in. Good to know.
Old 19 June 2024, 11:27   #129
amigakit.com

The A600GS Manual is available to download as a PDF file:

A600GS Product Manual
Old 19 June 2024, 11:59   #130
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Ah, the first raging review is in. Good to know.
From Guide.

HDMI Audio: this enables audio output through the HDMI connection to
the television or monitor. Not all displays are compatible with HDMI
audio or have the capability for playing audio.
Old 19 June 2024, 12:10   #131
aeberbach

"A600, the A600 logo, AmiBench, Release V46 and Amiga Kit are
registered trademarks of AmigaKit Ltd in the United Kingdom and other
countries."

The bullshit never stops. Where does AmigaKit get off claiming "A600" is anything but what we have always known it as?

And more offensively that it owns "A600" as a trademark!
Old 19 June 2024, 13:34   #132
aeberbach

No, appropriating "A600", "A1200" and others is slimy as hell. So are other "legal" activities like registering domain names to mislead people to your own site and away from your competitors.

No lawyer or long discussion is required to know this.
Old 19 June 2024, 13:40   #133
dreadnought

IMO trying to copyright these historical names is plain silly (but of course silly is normal in the Amiga world).

A500 Mini at least had a shout in with the "500" because their product looks like that model. But there's no need to use these numbers for an oblong box. You could call it A800/1400/5000 and it'd actually make more sense (ok, maybe bar the 1st one coz it looks like Atari 800).
Old 19 June 2024, 15:13   #134
amigakit.com

Some years ago there were compelling reasons to trademark the IP we have been using for 20 years. Newcomers started to assert ownership over the marks we had been using over two decades. If they were successful, this could potentially result in us have to pay licence fees to use those marks in future or worst case scenario, we were prevented from doing so. We even received threatening correspondance from these parties claiming their ownership of the marks. We had to defend our position.

We are grateful for our long established customer base and product range. We want to continue to innovate new products for the community, grow the user base and invest in community developers. The A600GS at a low price point will hopefully encourage more users, development in classic Amiga software such as OctaMED, PPaint, ImageFX, Aladdin 4D, Candy Factory and many other titles we have planned for release. The AmiStore App Store will be an outlet to give small independent developers a central place to market and earn some money for their Amiga games and utilities.

If you take a look at the A600GS User Guide, in the credits section there are 17 Amiga community members who contributed to the A600GS project. Without them the product would not be possible. Only Amiga!
Old 19 June 2024, 17:26   #135
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
The A600GS Manual is available to download as a PDF file:

A600GS Product Manual
Very cool.

If I may suggest, after the initial launch, you should create several short youtube videos showcasing the basic usage of the device.
For example, how to install game from ADF into device. And how to connect device to the internet, and getting patches, how to install applications... how to keep everything organized... etc.

Today users are spoiled (including me ), and would rather look at quick youtube video, then read the manual.

Maybe even few promotional videos, running classic games, and showcasing the speed of 3D games (Doom, Alien Breed 3D 2, Wipeout (if possible at all)).. etc.

Cheers
Old 19 June 2024, 18:39   #136
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
IMO trying to copyright these historical names is plain silly (but of course silly is normal in the Amiga world).
Just google 'A600' and you'll see how big the chance of that copyright idea is. The whole point of naming it 'A500 mini' was that you can't copyright 'A500'.
Old 19 June 2024, 19:56   #137
Marcio D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
If you take a look at the A600GS User Guide, in the credits section there are 17 Amiga community members who contributed to the A600GS project. Without them the product would not be possible. Only Amiga!

Somebody who purchased the A600GS has already posted a negative review of it on AmiBay, in the Want To Sell section. They list these bad points:

• No audio over HDMI, but says so in GUI you can
  • No full size HDMI port
  • Slow to boot
  • Slow to launch stuff
  • Cheap stickers already bubbling making buttons stick on joypad
  • Cannot run WHDLoad
  • Cannot mount hdfs
  • No manuals not that you need them
  • UI is pants
  • Have to register for updates

They also wrote the following and included a short video to show this problem, "Was rattling out the box - turned out to be a loose antenna inside not secured down.... a bit of Kapton tape fixed that issue, but at first I thought it may be audio related..."

I'm sure you're already aware of that review, but just letting you know in case it has slipped your attention. I'm not one of the haters who are jealous of your trademarks and your business. I really want the A600GS to succeed, and I"m hoping you can address some of these deficiencies.

Thanks for all that you do in the Amiga community, Matthew.
Old 19 June 2024, 20:02   #138
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
you can't copyright 'A500'.
Copyright No. Trademark Yes.

A500 trademark in the UK is owned by "Amiga Corporation"

https://trademarks.ipo.gov.uk/ipo-tm.../UK00003341497

There are different classes of trademark and AmigaKit owns A600, A1200 and A4000 trademarks (at least in the UK) under classes 9 (computers), 16 (Packaging), 25 (clothing), 28 (toys), 35 (Advertising), 42 (software)

UK 3361854, 3298029, 3347268

They have tried to prevent others from registering similar trademarks (e.g. TheA500) and failed. Slightly anti-competitive but we don't know who they were defending against or what the history was.
Old 19 June 2024, 20:49   #139
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcio D. View Post
I'm not one of the haters who are jealous of your trademarks and your business. I really want the A600GS to succeed, and I"m hoping you can address some of these deficiencies.
On the last page there was a link to thread about this.

You will always find some customers behave like this, and trying to convince other people not to buy specific product. Why? I have no idea. I am not fan of many products, and the biggest waste of time for me to be to go to the forums, and talk trash about these products.

The fact that guy sell the product right away (on the same thread) speaks to me that he wanted to trash talk almost for free (buy, then sell it), not because he was unhappy with product.

...who knows...
Old 19 June 2024, 22:55   #140
pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcio D. View Post
Somebody who purchased the A600GS has already posted a negative review of it on AmiBay, in the Want To Sell section. They list these bad points:
[...]
Thanks for all that you do in the Amiga community, Matthew.
Strange way to sell your piece of hardware I would say...