English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 14 February 2011, 10:13   #121
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by phipscube View Post
Hehe! Cheers Cosmic mate *CROAK* Fwoof flipping ek, scuse me!

I think its too late for Mr Fitz now, he's already taken the plunge with a soldering iron.. no looking back now! I'm looking forward to seeing what he gets up to
Lol, no evil plans for me on that one just yet. Have a busted IDEFix Express here that needs mending but I think it'll be too complicated for me and as yet don't know the problem with it.
Old 14 February 2011, 10:20   #122
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@This Thread

In a word - Awesome

in a motivational poster

both apt and funny =)

Some great work and development Phipsy, a true pleasure and inspiration to read!
Old 14 February 2011, 11:16   #123
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

Steve, the switch you did for your A600 was a perfect start, The IDE Fix might be a bit out there for now, but one day i'm sure you'll be fixing it yourself, and believe me, your satisfaction level will be through the roof mate

Zeetz! HAHAHAHAHA! Cheers mate, it took me a few seconds to click, then I was like LOLLZ! Great stuff, and glad your enjoying the show
Old 14 February 2011, 18:20   #124
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

So, Phipscube what you've done with the audio could be improved with "BetterPaula"?

Or what do you think?
Old 14 February 2011, 20:56   #125
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

@retrofan,

I like the native audio how it is, rough and nasty with its crazy panning!
Old 15 February 2011, 01:24   #126
NovaCoder

Hiya,

Does the Delfina output native audio by default or do you have to feed it in through the on-board inputs?
Old 15 February 2011, 07:03   #127
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Hiya,

Does the Delfina output native audio by default or do you have to feed it in through the on-board inputs?
It does, but only if you load the software.
That's why Phipscube made the Mixer for Native+Delfina (to have it enabled from startup
Old 15 February 2011, 10:02   #128
NovaCoder

ok cool, I'll take the lazy option then (my mod skills are up to it anyway!)
Old 17 February 2011, 21:47   #129
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

Hiya Novacoder, yeah its like Marios said, and the fact that i'm super anal and wanted to be able to cold boot floppy games and have audio from paula

Once the Delfina Mixer is loaded into memory you can soft boot and paula audio is passed thru so its possible to then load an old floppy game and have sound. The mod I made is really not that necessary but I like a good excuse to cram more chit in there
Old 01 March 2011, 10:01   #130
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

Here's an update on what i've been doing here

I added a +5V wire to the Subway, this has helped with randomness at boot up (its soldered to "Pin 2") : -

I've made a little circuit that controls my top case fans. They aren't overly loud, but I thought it was unecessary for them to be running full pelt. This little board uses Pulse width modulation to keep the voltage level at 12V, but pulses slower of faster (adjustable with a pot), the effect of this is a quieter fan that moves more efficiently than simply dropping off the voltage. I made it based on this information: -

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...67&postcount=2

Here's a pic!

I replaced the pot with a Thermistor, and put the thermistor on the BV heatsink.

Now the fans start up very quiet, once the BV heats up it drops the resistance on the thermistor hence the fans have quicker pulses sent to them to increase airflow. It still stays very quiet as this is the effect of PWM. The only downside of it is that when the room is very quiet you will notice a feint "ticking" noise.

I'm currently planning to make a 5V version for the BPPC fan (I've also got a less noisy replacement fan on its way).

I've added some jacks for Mic and Aux input to Delfina! :-

Thats it for now folks!

Last edited by phipscube; 01 March 2011 at 10:09. Reason: added missing photo
Old 01 March 2011, 11:56   #131
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

My friend this is just...

Old 03 March 2011, 02:35   #132
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Well, what can I say... Great! But... how is it working... can you show a (long) video?

In all that you've done I only find a veery small error with the distance between the USB connectors... you're The Guide at least for me
Old 03 March 2011, 13:11   #133
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

Hi Retrofan

Its working great! The only niggles now are that from a cold boot the DVD drive resets ok, but when the system reboots for loading OS 3.9 Rom the DVD drive gets caught up and doesn't reset until half way through the booting process, then IDEfix doesn't find it and intuition needs to reset the screen. If I just do the three finger salute before the Indivision screen vanishes for the second time I can get the DVD drive to reset properly. I remember I had this problem along time ago with a DVD drive on my miggy in the 90's and I think if I look around I can find some software that will help this. Otherwise i'm rolling my own 3.9 Roms so once they are in I wont have that problem anymore.

I also have the heat issue, but thats mainly due to my own stubborness. I wanted to run the system with the small rubber feet. I can't do that really, I know this, so i'm going to raise her up a bit on feet. The system still runs great for over an hour, but at that point the grill underneath is rather hot.

I did have lots of random problems with USB devices and the Delfina once I had the BVision working, but that seems to have been cured by adding +5V jump wires to each of the Subway and Delfina. And yeah, I never thought about the USB space until it was too late I also had issues with the Clockport expander being fixed rigidly into place. That clockport is ultra sensitive. Since putting the expander on a small ribbon its great!

Software wise the system is a bit of a mess as i'm really trying to get hardware going first. Once I get onto Software I want to be sure the hardware is ok you see.

Soon I will recieve a standard looking PSU from Mr Fitz. I want to put the APower inside an original A1200 (or A600 in this case) Brick so it looks authentic Its running quite hot too after about an hour. Initially its really only getting warm, but it suddenly becomes hot and thats not a good sign for long lasting wearability. I may need to put a fan on it too. The APowers casing is lovely and small, but alas, for my system its a little too snug

Apart from the custom ROMS I only really need a better fan on the PPC, some kind of better solution for cooling the 060 and a nice white monitor then I'll be ready to make a nice long video! I also plan to make a video of all the insides and at various angles etc for all the Pr0n freaks

Last edited by phipscube; 03 March 2011 at 13:28. Reason: spelling
Old 03 March 2011, 13:57   #134
seuden
uber cool demi god

Simply stunning!! Awesome work, I want one!
Old 03 March 2011, 14:40   #135
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

@Phipscube,

I think if you attached the same fan I have to the grill and even just raised it on slightly bigger feet it'd be ok.

You could even put a manual speed controll on the fan that you can whack up after an hour once it needs the extra cooling.

I've run mine solid and it never gets more than luke warm, even under full PPC/060 load.

I'm thinking to try the 330mhz PPC in the Desktop and see how that copes on smaller feet. Oh and roll the 060 back to 66mhz

I'll let you know how I get on with that, might even be todays project.

Hope the PSU arrives soon, should do post to Denmark is usually quick.

Steve.
Old 03 March 2011, 14:48   #136
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipscube View Post
Soon I will recieve a standard looking PSU from Mr Fitz. I want to put the APower inside an original A1200 (or A600 in this case) Brick so it looks authentic Its running quite hot too after about an hour. Initially its really only getting warm, but it suddenly becomes hot and thats not a good sign for long lasting wearability. I may need to put a fan on it too. The APowers casing is lovely and small, but alas, for my system its a little too snug
Sorry but that has no sense for me. If you are going to use a PSU inside the brick (just like I do), you don't want to put inside that Apower that suddenly becomes hot. Put inside an small ATX Psu like I did, with a fan on it and you're ready. Appart of that you can put a voltimeter to measure the 5volts, just like Gibs does and I copied:

Last edited by Retrofan; 04 March 2011 at 01:07.
Old 03 March 2011, 14:57   #137
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

@Phipscube,

Retr0fan has a great point there. Instead of breaking open that pretty little PSU, why not put ATX inside the one I am sending you?

Then you could use the APower for Ziggy's A600, I'm sure the ACA630 would appreciate the extra power

Also, I've made my mind up. Going to do the switcheroo on the PPC's over the weekend. I'll let you know how I get on with smaller feet (0.8cm ones)

Steve.
Old 03 March 2011, 15:20   #138
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

Some good ideas there guys, cheers! It doesn't really make sense with the APower, I guess its because I like how small the board is. I'll open it carefully and see how it runs in the A600 PSU chassis, if its still a hottie then i'll think about getting an mATX like you suggest Retrofan Then give the APower to the Ziggster. I'll be putting a bit more kit in his A600 soon so I think it would help.

I also have been thinking of a big fan like yours Steve too. Maybe have one that completely devours the hole in my trapdoor and then just extend the mesh out a bit over the fan blades. I'll ponder on that too mate
Old 04 March 2011, 01:04   #139
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Where do you notice you need more cooling, in the BVision, in the BPPC or in both?
Another thing: how does the "cheapo" usb Ethernet adapter work? I'm planning to put one in mine

Last edited by Retrofan; 04 March 2011 at 01:13.
Old 04 March 2011, 10:08   #140
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

The BVision is fine with the 3 case fans over it. The problems are mainly the 060, and to a lesser extent the PPC. I'm happy running with the PPC as it is and the Amiga Elevated a few more mm with new feet, but the 060 is still gradually getting hotter due to it not having any active cooling. So I ponder on putting a big slow moving fan under like Steve suggests or my continued search for a 5 or 6mm fan that isn't too loud that I could place over the 060 instead of the heatsink on it now.

The el cheapo Ethernet adapter is just simply detected by the subway at the moment as a USB Ethernet adapter, i've not set up the software required to test it works online etc. But the author of Poseidon sent me a link to ebay and I simply bought the one he linked to as tested. Its this one: -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-Fast-Ether...item3a507732dc

He did say that most if not all these types will work.