English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 02 January 2017, 20:14   #121
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon_ View Post
The Vampire will have this functionality in the next core update as far as I know. They call it turtle mode.
Isn't that "just" slower mode, not disabling the board completely and letting stopped mainboard CPU to take over?

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Penguin View Post
Toni how much, if any, are these accelerators supported by WinUAE? Adding CF cards as hard disks and increasing clock speed to 200% is fairly straightforward but what about the memory mapping stuff? I assume the Vampire cards are well out of scope.
They are not. Old accelerators are very simple, newer ones are not worth the trouble, they have dozens of registers and lots of internal state variables. (and they are not that interesting, emulating real retro hardware is interesting, new stuff isn't)

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
The ACA500 will boot straight off a CF card with MBR and FAT32. Very convenient when you want to move the card from the PC to the Amiga, so there is little reason to use PFS3/SFS/etc.
What does booting from CF or transferring files have to do with Amiga formatted (boot) CF filesystem?. Or are you planning to install WB on FAT32 formatted drive? (Which will work, sort of, but I would not recommend it..)

Quote:
How does it handle CFs bigger than 4Gb? Is there a patched scsi.device? I'd like to use pfs3-aio, I guess I'll still need to do some work to install that in the RDB and format accordingly (FFS can't handle partitions >4Gb, right?)
Flash built-in updated scsi.device supports all >4G methods fully. (direct scsi, TD64 and NSD).
Old 02 January 2017, 20:25   #122
appiah4

I can't even begin to imagine what you would put on an Amiga Hard Drive greater than 4GBs, to be honest..
Old 02 January 2017, 20:34   #123
E-Penguin
Banana

WHDLoad + all of the games images is bigger than 4Gb, although taking out CD32 and AGA games (that won't run on the A500) might just fit.
Old 02 January 2017, 21:01   #124
monkat

Hi, loved the aca500 and really looking forward to getting my plus... can I ask though if there are plans to provide good online documentation - not just for this but other cards Indivision do? I say this because since I came back to this scene there are many many people who struggle to get the best out of the hardware being sold. Flickerfixers were a nightmare to understand, ACA cards had acatune with settings defined but examples of common systems and best settings for those scenarios would be helpful - yes you can crawl a thousand forum messages to get some answers but I feel this is a simple request the creators of such cards can provide. Oh and the wiki has limited help.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02 January 2017, 21:13   #125
E-Penguin
Banana

Isn't trawling half the Internet to find the answers half the fun? Tracking down the fabled v1.10 firmware for the IndivisionECS was days of entertainment.

I don't know whether Jens would consider allowing users to edit the wiki ; that might be a good halfway between community support and vendor support. At least everything would be in one place.
Old 02 January 2017, 21:49   #126
appiah4

Quote:
Isn't trawling half the Internet to find the answers half the fun? Tracking down the fabled v1.10 firmware for the IndivisionECS was days of entertainment.

I don't know whether Jens would consider allowing users to edit the wiki ; that might be a good halfway between community support and vendor support. At least everything would be in one place.
Having to browse a dozen sparsely populated Amiga forums and decipher machine talk is not always fun, especially when you are trying to fix a frustrating hardware problem you can't wrap your head around. Better documentation, FAQs, tutorials etc. would really be useful. As a consumer of their goods, I couldn't find answers to most of my questions on individual computers' webpage on the ACA500. I really hope he allows for a user editable wiki; he could at least moderate user contributions maybe?

We could always start an unofficial EAB ACA wiki and contribute to that? I mean, I would do my part once my hardware arrives for sure..
Old 03 January 2017, 00:03   #127
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Isn't that "just" slower mode, not disabling the board completely and letting stopped mainboard CPU to take over?
Yeah, something like that. With V500 you remove the original 68k cpu and put the Vampire in the socket, so there's no other CPU to fall back on. Not sure about V600 and how the slower mode will be handled though.
Old 03 January 2017, 07:05   #128
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post

What does booting from CF or transferring files have to do with Amiga formatted (boot) CF filesystem?. Or are you planning to install WB on FAT32 formatted drive? (Which will work, sort of, but I would not recommend it..)
Turtle mode is just a slower mode which is more like a common 030 accelerator for which mode WHDLoad slaves are designed. In ludicrous mode, which is Vampire on full speed, they tend to break..

Regarding FAT32, you are right. It is probably not optimal to use it with WB so PFS3 still has its merits here. But it should be able to boot from a FAT32 card as far as I can see which is very convenient for debugging etc.
Old 03 January 2017, 07:36   #129
appiah4

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Turtle mode is just a slower mode which is more like a common 030 accelerator for which mode WHDLoad slaves are designed. In ludicrous mode, which is Vampire on full speed, they tend to break..

Regarding FAT32, you are right. It is probably not optimal to use it with WB so PFS3 still has its merits here. But it should be able to boot from a FAT32 card as far as I can see which is very convenient for debugging etc.
One PFS3 CF for boot, one FAT32 CF for transferring data sounds ideal..
Old 03 January 2017, 09:54   #130
E-Penguin
Banana

That's the principle behind the "boot" and "aux" slots, I guess.

I suppose with a bit of creativity and a RAD: disk to hold things between reboots, one could boot with the flash WB disks and a FAT32 CF which contains the pfs3-aio fs and related gubbins, partition it, format as PFS3 and install WB on that, without going anywhere near an emulator.
Old 03 January 2017, 10:19   #131
demolition
Unregistered User

You could just put PFS3 handler etc. on the AUX CF card since it can be accessed from a plain WB 3.1 boot without cfd/fat95 drivers which are otherwise needed with PCMCIA adapters. What would you use RAD: for?
Old 03 January 2017, 10:36   #132
E-Penguin
Banana

Yes but that would require another CF card and I've already spent February's Amiga budget...

RAD: to hold pfsformat after the reboot following the partition creation. Plus any other things one wants post WB install (plipbox.device, TCP stack, IndivisionECS tools, whdload, ...)
Old 03 January 2017, 10:44   #133
demolition
Unregistered User

Ok, I just assumed one would always have some extra CF card lying around for that purpose.
Old 03 January 2017, 12:07   #134
E-Penguin
Banana

The ACA500plus has just arrived! Unfortunately I have a bad cold so I'm not sure whether I will get to test it this week. I don't want to start dribbling snot on important chips.
Old 03 January 2017, 17:32   #135
E-Penguin
Banana

Well I managed to plug it in briefly and install WB. In short, very smooth overall. Slightly annoying double-power on needed first time round, possibly due to the IndivisionECS.

I've written it up in full here:
https://amigadventures.tumblr.com/po...-first-install
Old 03 January 2017, 18:06   #136
eXeler0

Good "hands on". Any good 3d printed cases for that thing yet?

Skickat från min LG-H850 via Tapatalk
Old 03 January 2017, 18:24   #137
E-Penguin
Banana

Thanks.

I just cut holes into the cardboard box it came in and sealed the edges with tape. It's not pretty but it'll keep the worst of the dust off.
Old 03 January 2017, 19:05   #138
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Well I managed to plug it in briefly and install WB. In short, very smooth overall.
Yeah, it is hard to keep ones hands off stuff when you receive a present in the mail.

Thanks for the short hands-on preview.
Old 05 January 2017, 08:37   #139
appiah4

Order placed Scavenged an old 2GB Compact Flash I had lying around and ordered a card reader.. All set for this adventure..

Two questions though: Am I better off with a USB Compact Flash Card Reader or a SATA to Compact Flash adapter for setting up my CF card? Which version of ClassicWB would be most suitable for this board? 68K? LITE? FULL? ADV?

Last edited by appiah4; 05 January 2017 at 09:00.
Old 05 January 2017, 09:15   #140
E-Penguin
Banana

There's still no AGA chipset and the process is still a 68ec000, so the bigger ClassicWBs are too much. I tried both 68k and Lite on winuae configured roughly as an aca500plus, and both were useable. You need to be careful not to enable things that don't work on this architecture though (I found I had to disable stack attack, fblit, copper backgrounds...). I haven't tried it on the real hardware yet though - YMMV.

USB card reader worked fine for me. Just make sure you're running uae as administrator so you have low level access to the disk.