Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL contributions

Old 17 December 2010, 19:44   #121
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I thought it was "end" and "print screen"
I'm finding the whole process a bit beyond me...
Just define your own key(s) for taking screenshot (0x201) in the Input panel.
I am supposing you know how to do that, but if you don't, just ask and I (or someone else) will give the detailed operation to achieve this.
Old 17 December 2010, 20:04   #122
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I now have a destination folder set up for my screen shots in paths but I have to press F12 and actually press print screen on the output page of winuae to take a shot so I guess "end and print screen" isn't set up to work... @lilalurl how can I define a single key to press to take a screen shot? - I don't know how to do this...

help....
Old 17 December 2010, 20:12   #123
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Go to the Input panel, make sure you have a 'Configuration #x' set in the upper left and select the keyboard entry from the upper left drop-down box. Now select the key you want to use for taking a screenshot and select 'Screenshot (file)' in the drop-down box right below the key list.

Old 17 December 2010, 20:23   #124
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Just saw that TCD posted first, but I will post anyway so that you can have two set of instructions if one is not to your liking .

Using an old version of Winuae so it may have changed a bit but not much I guess.
Here is how to do:

In Winuae Settings, go to Host/Input.

Select Configuration #X instead of Compatibility mode into the first drop down box. This way, Winuae will use your own defined keys. This will also mean you will have to define your own joystick keys if you are using one of the Game ports layout.

Select keyboard in the second drop down box.

Then you can modify the keys: Input source is your PC keyboard key and Input target is the Amiga key/Winuae function it will trigger.

Select the key you want for screenshots to use in the list of your keyboard keys.

Then go to the bottom right drop down box and select the Screenshot function (the key are more or less listed by name but with a number at the end 0xXXX. Screenshot is 0x201).

Of course, save your configuration!

Now you just have to press the key to take the screenshots.

If you want to redefine the key used for the emulated joystick, you will need to use joy2left and the following ones.
Old 17 December 2010, 20:51   #125
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Ok, thanks guys - I think I'm making a bit of progress... @ TCD, I will upload a couple of test shots - could you please just check them for size and confirm here that they would be suitable for inclusion on HOL... I can then work on some better shots.

Next thing... how do you "break into" games to get later shots and end of game shots - I'm sure Cody mentioned there is a way of getting these shots rather than playing the games through to the finish... like the shots on the HOL entry for Scavenger 2 - any ideas...?
Old 17 December 2010, 21:04   #126
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

You can use WinUAE's debugger to create custom trainers for games. It's not a single technique for all games so you have to work out a strategy for each one.

For example, if the game requires x number of items to be collected before the exit opens you can usually bypass this and then head straight to the exit. In other games you might create a custom energy trainer or give yourself infinite cash.

You still need to grab screenshots for each level so it's not a shortcut for getting those. It's just a way to speed it up.
Old 17 December 2010, 21:13   #127
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Holly Mackerel...!

Be quicker for me to play the games and grow a f*ckin beard... OK, thanks CJ - I could have a play with this route when I get some time.

In the meantime - armed with my new information I will get what I can once TCD has ok'ed my first attempts...

David has been so generous giving us his games that I want to make the HOL entries for, Hydrozone, Speedracer FX and wired Chaos (which is excellent btw) look as good as Scavenger 2 if possible.

Hopefully David is going to be able to give us some scans of his game reviews as well so that will make the entries look even better.
Old 17 December 2010, 21:15   #128
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Where have you uploaded them to Peter? Can't find your test on either the HOL or the EAB FTP (and please use the HOL FTP if you haven't uploaded them yet).
Old 17 December 2010, 21:23   #129
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Sorry TCD - I put them in the zone.
Old 17 December 2010, 21:26   #130
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Ah, okay. Yup, they look good
Old 17 December 2010, 21:52   #131
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Thanks TCD - I will get some decent shots of Hydrozone and come back to you...

Thanks everyone for the advice.

hhhmmm... winuae seems to have gone a bit nuts on me now - the input configs have all zero'ed and it looks like I am back to square one... time for a glass of wine I think.
I'll have to come back to this.

OK - EDIT...11PM

Back in business TCD - got 16 screen shots from Hydrozone that I think can be used to enhance the game entry in the HOL.

I have to hold my hands up and state that this is probably the best I can do - I am playing the game via Winuae on a small laptop with no joy pad to obtain these shots and it is difficult to make much progress into the game, consequently my screen shots only go so far - however, together with the game review magazine scans that David can hopefully provide it should make the HOL game details much more interesting.

I have uploaded the game screen shots to the zone TCD - be grateful if you could add them when you get some time.

I Will be looking to create two additional entries in the HOL for Speed Racer FX and Wired Chaos soon when I can speak to David at more length and get more details on the games.

Last edited by Peter; 18 December 2010 at 00:09. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Use the edit function.
Old 18 December 2010, 00:26   #132
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Nice one Peter Updated the entry
Next time please use the HOL FTP : http://hol.abime.net/hol_faq.php?section=contributions (don't pack the screenshots, just create a folder with your name).
Old 18 December 2010, 00:30   #133
Peter
Still an Amiga user

OK mate, will do - thanks TCD!

Just checked out Hydrozone on HOL - it's looking better already!

I would delete the first four original screen shots now though (not my ones) as they now look out of place.

http://hol.abime.net/5375
Old 18 December 2010, 00:39   #134
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Would like to keep the original Amiga Action version on there (title and game over slightly different) and not create a second entry (both versions are quite the same).
Old 18 December 2010, 00:41   #135
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Ok mate - no probs...
Old 22 March 2011, 22:32   #136
Kitty

Just started making Commodore 64 screengrabs via Vice Emulator for HOL for the conversion sections of each game,
gonna be a long task but I got 12 points already, just doing my bit for HOL, every bit counts eh
Old 22 March 2011, 22:46   #137
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Kitty has also created a new social group for those who contributed to HOL : http://eab.abime.net/group.php?groupid=64
Thanks for your contributions, much appreciated Kitty
Old 05 April 2011, 13:02   #138
James

Have uploaded screenshots for Malice, Q-Zone and X-Men.
Old 05 April 2011, 13:15   #139
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Nice one James Will add them when I'm home later
Old 05 April 2011, 16:30   #140
kkgarbod
The Human/Gray Hybrid

Location: The Elizabeth Arkham Asylum for the Criminally Insane
Hi

I've uploaded screenshots for Lemmings (PC-98) version. Saw screenshots are missing from this version