English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 04 January 2011, 23:38   #1361
vroom6sri

That is fantastic news! Feels like Xmas again. I've learnt a lot (well... a lot for me) about my A1200 thanks to this thread and FOL. I've got one of these 2b motherboards unfortunately so will check for these capacitors ASAP.

Soooooooooo excited about potentially having this all sorted and running a sweet-sweet A1200!!!!

Thanks to Jens BTW!
Old 04 January 2011, 23:48   #1362
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom6sri View Post
That is fantastic news! Feels like Xmas again. I've learnt a lot (well... a lot for me) about my A1200 thanks to this thread and FOL. I've got one of these 2b motherboards unfortunately so will check for these capacitors ASAP.
Note that you cannot tell from the board revision if the caps are installed or not. You really have to remove the board and check the bottom side where these caps are located.

This fix is quite a few years old. To my knowledge, it was first documented by Eyetech and reported back to ACT, where I did service on those oh-so-flaky Apollo accelerators. I was expecting that by now, every A1200 motherboard has the fix applied. I only have one board where the caps are installed, and it's one where the ACA1230 works perfectly. That's a good indicator that there really is a chipset combination where the components E123C and E125C are required.

Jens
Old 04 January 2011, 23:50   #1363
dabone

Quick question dealing with Royal Mail, exactly how long does it take for Origin Post is Preparing Shipment people???? You have had it since 12/30.
Just stick in on a plane or something...

Sorry, just had to vent a little.

later,
dabone
Old 04 January 2011, 23:53   #1364
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabone View Post
Quick question dealing with Royal Mail, exactly how long does it take for Origin Post is Preparing Shipment people???? You have had it since 12/30.
Just stick in on a plane or something...

Sorry, just had to vent a little.

later,
dabone
Way off topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
Note that you cannot tell from the board revision if the caps are installed or not. You really have to remove the board and check the bottom side where these caps are located.

This fix is quite a few years old. To my knowledge, it was first documented by Eyetech and reported back to ACT, where I did service on those oh-so-flaky Apollo accelerators. I was expecting that by now, every A1200 motherboard has the fix applied. I only have one board where the caps are installed, and it's one where the ACA1230 works perfectly. That's a good indicator that there really is a chipset combination where the components E123C and E125C are required.

Jens
We were discussing it via support tickets as you posted the timing fix document.
Old 05 January 2011, 00:57   #1365
amigakit.com

@dabone

I offered you FedEx shipping upgrade on two occasions in this thread before it was shipped (FedEx Priority delivers in 24-48 hours from us) as you seemed very eager to get the card.

USPS are very slow to update their website- you will probably find it arrived in the New York JFK mail centre 2-3 days after mailing, but they didnt update the tracking. It can then take up to 2 weeks to make its way across the States to the local USPS depot.
Old 05 January 2011, 01:21   #1366
NovaCoder

I'm too poor to buy a ACA 1230/56 at the moment, hope they'll still be available to buy in a few months time. A lot of these great new products seem to disappear for some reason.
Old 05 January 2011, 01:49   #1367
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
I'm too poor to buy a ACA 1230/56 at the moment, hope they'll still be available to buy in a few months time. A lot of these great new products seem to disappear for some reason.
I'm wasting a lot in the Amiga although things look bad here in Spain for work and so. I hope I will receive my ACA1230/56 tomorrow as the next day we celebrate the Three Wise Kings...

Last edited by Retrofan; 05 January 2011 at 11:49.
Old 05 January 2011, 11:58   #1368
Riempie
Amiga freak

I have some problems fitting the 28mhz and 56mhz cards nicely. A dutch guy on a dutch amiga forum gave me this url:
http://www.a1k.org/forum/showpost.ph...postcount=1236

It seems you have to cut away some other pieces of the casing instead of only cutting a little piece of the trapdoor.

The cards do work fine if I do not cut anything, but they bend a lot if I do not cut something away.

Are there any tools available somewhere to cut things nicely instead of doing it the hard ugly way?

Btw. The cards are great and this cutting-thing is totally not a big problem for me. Thx Jens!
Old 05 January 2011, 12:24   #1369
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riempie View Post
I have some problems fitting the 28mhz and 56mhz cards nicely. A dutch guy on a dutch amiga forum gave me this url:

It seems you have to cut away some other pieces of the casing instead of only cutting a little piece of the trapdoor.

The cards do work fine if I do not cut anything, but they bend a lot if I do not cut something away.

Are there any tools available somewhere to cut things nicely instead of doing it the hard ugly way?

Btw. The cards are great and this cutting-thing is totally not a big problem for me. Thx Jens!
I used my own A1200 for some of the testing and all fitted fine.
Granted the 28MHz were bit awkward to push in, but the 56MHz, were all perfect.
Old 05 January 2011, 14:09   #1370
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

My 56MHz ACA1330 it was also a bit hard to insert due to some plastics and it's indeed a bit bend due to the upper plastic. I can post a picture about what I mean.
It's not a problem of usability since everything works like a charm, but the bending of the card exists for real.
Old 05 January 2011, 16:32   #1371
kipper2k

Not happy, just found out my order from Amigakit was sent by fedex. Fedex charge brokerage fees to the end user on international deliveries which are above and beyond regular customs fees. I was told heavy items are shipped by fedex when previous heavier items were shipped via Royal Mail.
Old 05 January 2011, 16:49   #1372
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
@Kipper,

I'm sure it was best intentions to get the item out to you as fast as possible, Airmail from UK is taking 2-4 weeks (even longer in some cases) to get over the pond. FedEX is much faster.

They are not to know that your local agent is charging a handling fee, for example Royal Mail do the same here

Again, I feel this sort of thing is misuse of this thread and unfair feedback against Amigakit.

Steve.
Old 05 January 2011, 16:52   #1373
kipper2k

This will be my last post.

If you look up this thread i did mention it a few days ago which was acknowledged by them about the fees
Old 05 January 2011, 17:02   #1374
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
This will be my last post.

If you look up this thread i did mention it a few days ago which was acknowledged by them about the fees
Mentioning it in a forum is not the way to go.
It should have been either noted in the order comments while ordering or in a support ticket on our site.

Royal Mail will not cover the full amount of the cards worth, FedEX do.
Old 05 January 2011, 17:42   #1375
DyLucke
Cookie Muncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
I'm wasting a lot in the Amiga although things look bad here in Spain for work and so. I hope I will receive my ACA1230/56 tomorrow as the next day we celebrate the Three Wise Kings...
Got mine today "muyayo"... I bet yours will be there soon.
Old 05 January 2011, 18:32   #1376
S0ulA55a551n

I was waiting for all the timing fixes needed on A1200 boards.

Same thing with the faster apollo cards.

I believe that why the blizzards didn't have these issues and were hence slower
Old 05 January 2011, 18:44   #1377
deicidal
Registered Insane

Has anyone else in the UK not received theres yet that where sent out before Christmas?
Old 05 January 2011, 19:11   #1378
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by deicidal View Post
Has anyone else in the UK not received theres yet that where sent out before Christmas?
I've not ordered a card from Amigalkit, but if we're talking about Royal Mail I'm still waiting for a few parcels sent before Xmas
Old 05 January 2011, 21:03   #1379
cosmiq

Had a very nice package delivered today.
Too bad I have some problems with the VGA unit (black screen / no output).. but hope to clear that up soon enough.
Old 05 January 2011, 21:37   #1380
cv643d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riempie View Post

Same problem with Apollo 1240/1260, but more extreme. I had to shave off the edge around the CPU-slot on the underside. Also had to cut out holes for SIMM from the cover.

I used a Dremel, it was almost to easy to shave it with the Dremel, and fun too! Smelling soft, warm burnt Amiga plastic never gets old