English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 08 February 2022, 14:31   #1281
nikosidis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerskunk View Post
@Nikosidis: exactly what you said.
First off, the reason why people create games or demos nowadays for these old machines are very different from back in the day.
Secondly, if you just want better tech in games, why not just buy a PC?
+1

Very true!
Old 08 February 2022, 14:34   #1282
nikosidis

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1981 View Post
I hope it's not too 'Doomy' in the end. I'd love a unique fresh perspective like AB3D was (AB3D fanatic here!). I realise they have 1MB constraints, and I admire them for that. I wonder if there will be some atmospheric sfx like Hired Guns, and to some extent AB3D. It really added to those games and was the icing on the cake. Perhaps a 2MB version (lots of A500 owners have 2MB) could add extra/improved sfx, like an optional extra disk or something.
From what I heard the final "Dread" game will be very different from Doom.
Old 08 February 2022, 22:27   #1283
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
I am also not expert, but from what I understood, the whole C2P routine is done with Blitter. And every Amiga (from A500 to A4000) have the exact same Blitter. So in order to utilize faster processors, KK must move these calculation from Blitter to processor (otherwise, Blitter would be bottleneck), and use Blitter for something else.
That would lead to huge re-write of the code, and ton's of time to be done + ton's of time fixing the bugs.

So it's perfectly logical that he stays focused on A500 version (that also takes ton's of time), and he wouldn't attempt stronger Amiga conversions until this version is 100% complete.
That's very correct
The same can be said for tha game's gfx basically. Currently our custom assets are handmade exclusively for Dread's exact resolution and color depth and that's one of the reasons why the game looks so clean and crisp (compared to using higher-res assets f.e.- see old gfx). So to go to a real AGA version with more colors or better resolutions we'd have to redo the assets all over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
But what are you saying for maps that takes more then 1MB, maybe that is already possible?
I am not sure though, but I think engine don't force you to make a map at specific size.
That's right. Basically the engine does not prohibit you from making bigger maps that require more than 1MB. Already the community has created such "mega-wads" that only work on expanded machines and I bet many more will be tempted to go that path to maximise size, complexity or gameplay and visual content in their wads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosidis View Post
From what I heard the final "Dread" game will be very different from Doom.
Definitelty, at least visually it will be. I think already the game has developed it's own flavour, even if it still uses loads of Free-Doom based or inspired assets. And the more we add and create the more the game will diverge into it's own thing (Patrons already have seen what's coming btw ).

Other than gfx though the big question is if we should also try something different gameplay wise. I mean while our creative urge pushes us to go into new territory and experiment, there is a reminder at the back of my head that tells me that we should stick to the same known formula instead and deliver a more 'true to the core' Doom gameplay experience. And the reason is this unfulfilled wish in our collective memory, people always craved for the authentic experience or -at least- something that was on the level of all the other big productions of the era on the PC. And while most of the doom-clones we eventually got were all valliant and had their own charm, I think none ever managed to come close enough and satisfy that feel. Which is one of the reasons (besides all technicalities) that the demand for FPS games in the Amiga world endures.
Old 08 February 2022, 22:34   #1284
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1981 View Post
I hope it's not too 'Doomy' in the end. I'd love a unique fresh perspective like AB3D was (AB3D fanatic here!). I realise they have 1MB constraints, and I admire them for that. I wonder if there will be some atmospheric sfx like Hired Guns, and to some extent AB3D. It really added to those games and was the icing on the cake. Perhaps a 2MB version (lots of A500 owners have 2MB) could add extra/improved sfx, like an optional extra disk or something.
Yepp, AB3D is a true masterpiece, just as this stuff will be when comes out. I've played AB3D through loooong sleepless nights many times, have the same plans to happen again, but on my A500 this time. Or A1000
Old 08 February 2022, 22:55   #1285
TEG

Talking about targeting the A500, what about adding multi-players capacity using a serial link?

Back in the days, it was a lot of fun to play Doom in multi-players mode.

I don't realize if running a full-duplex serial exchange in parallel of the game would take a toll on the bus performance of the Amiga.
Old 08 February 2022, 23:40   #1286
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEG View Post
Talking about targeting the A500, what about adding multi-players capacity using a serial link?

I don't realize if running a full-duplex serial exchange in parallel of the game would take a toll on the bus performance of the Amiga.
[ Show youtube player ]

Old 09 February 2022, 09:43   #1287
grond

I had no idea the Amiga's retarded little brother were getting this game too!
Old 09 February 2022, 10:18   #1288
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Big grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
i had no idea the amiga's retarded little brother were getting this game too!
Old 09 February 2022, 11:13   #1289
Superman

Quote:
Special Edition.
Old 09 February 2022, 16:29   #1290
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEG View Post
Not the first week though! Doom multiplayer has a history... they tried to outsource it and it failed miserably so Carmack had to completely redo it himself. It was only as of Quake that Carmack did the right thing, and that was to design the game for multiplayer right from the get-go.
Old 09 February 2022, 20:38   #1291
AnimaInCorpore

Quote:
C64? I doubt it...

Uh... or is it the well known Amiga users' attitude towards other systems!?
Old 09 February 2022, 21:16   #1292
TEG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
[ Show youtube player ]

You mean I have to buy back an ST. Oh no!

Anyway your video give some hope.
Old 10 February 2022, 21:07   #1293
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimaInCorpore View Post
Uh... or is it the well known Amiga users' attitude towards other systems!?
Nope, just that particular loud minority. I think you'll find that the majority celebrate all retro hardware.
Old 11 February 2022, 08:28   #1294
Mathesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBodilsen View Post
Yay.. you played my map (the first one - DS_Portland).
I like your map. Very creative use of the capabilities of the engine, especially toward the exit of the level with the corridor around the open area.

I also agree with Tsak, although the full Doom level is incredible impressive (like really, really, really impressive), the capabilities of the engine shown with LaBodilsen map for example is already very good. Good enough to make a nice game out of it. The capability to give the floors and ceilings different colors per sector, the different wall heights, sound effects, etc. are already way beyond what we have ever seen before for the A500. And it all just looks and feels so good that you tend to forget about the engine and just care about the game. I am really looking forward to it!
(and, If I would have to choose between stairs or music...... )
Old 13 February 2022, 08:52   #1295
dankcomputing

Quote:
What about it's cool, mysterious bigger brother (X68000)?
Old 13 February 2022, 11:38   #1296
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankcomputing View Post
Huh Dread on Sharp.
Never thought of it.
I'd like to see that.
Old 28 March 2022, 21:42   #1297
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Hey guys, time for an update. KK is making progress with his new custom bootloader and is currently also optimising parts of the code in search of further ram savings for stock configurations. Overal we've saved more than 100+ kb already, which means extra room for bigger and more complex maps, texture variety, objects and enemies.

Speaking of which (and in the mean time) I've made sure all this extra space we're gonna get is put to good use, so I've created a series of new gfx packs, including a big expansion of our decor objects and brand new texures. What I'm currently into is a major update to our enemies roster with the addition of new monsters and enemy variants!

Here's a couple screenshots from a test-map I made that showcases some of the new additions.

Old 28 March 2022, 21:51   #1298
Weasel Fierce

Played through the playable demo with the kid and we really enjoyed it! Runs super smooth and feels great to play.
Old 28 March 2022, 21:58   #1299
trixster
Guru Meditating

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankcomputing View Post
That would be amazing
Old 28 March 2022, 22:12   #1300
rothers

It's looking amazing. Might there be space for a singe 'facing away' frame for each enemy so that mechanic could be used in the game? It's used a lot in Doom.

Entering a room with the enemies facing away and trying not to disturb them can build great suspense.