English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 05 January 2017, 21:33   #1181
spudje

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
If your self-made boot disk is formatted with FFS then it will not work on KS 1.3 since it only supports OFS.
Thanks for the responses. I wasn't clear enough, sorry. I am talking about floppy disks. I remember back in the day I could boot a WB3.0 floppy in an A500 (also rev5 kickstart 1.2).

Bad memory addon may be true, it has a a501 with some minor batterydamage (battery removed and cleaned). Although I don't get errors with memory tests.
Old 05 January 2017, 21:40   #1182
McTrinsic

KS 1.3 supports FFS if in the RDB of a HDD.
Old 05 January 2017, 21:49   #1183
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Currently all my .HDFs in WinUAE are using FFS. If I was to use PFS3 would this increase performance?
At least you'll get rid of the validation wait if the emulation gets reset or powered off in the middle of a disk write.
Old 05 January 2017, 21:50   #1184
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
Thanks for the responses. I wasn't clear enough, sorry. I am talking about floppy disks. I remember back in the day I could boot a WB3.0 floppy in an A500 (also rev5 kickstart 1.2).
I was also talking about floppy disks. FFS is not used very often on floppies as KS 1.3 does not support it. I think even WB 3.1 disks use OFS.
Old 06 January 2017, 01:10   #1185
idrougge

Quote:
Currently all my .HDFs in WinUAE are using FFS. If I was to use PFS3 would this increase performance?
Not in UAE. Besides, it's not worth the bother in an emulator.
Old 06 January 2017, 07:51   #1186
Pat the Cat
Banned

The question I'd like to ask is... why didn't anybody ever let on, ie inform people, that you can use .library and ,device files from later releases on earlier Amigas?

I always thought it was an unsupported hack that might or might not work, not the official way you were supposed to do things.

https://www.codewiz.org/projects/ami.../node0012.html
Old 06 January 2017, 08:18   #1187
Jope
-

Some modules work in earlier releases, but if the handler, library or device requires OS functions that are not present in your earlier release, you're going to have a bad time. :-)
Old 06 January 2017, 12:00   #1188
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
At least you'll get rid of the validation wait if the emulation gets reset or powered off in the middle of a disk write.
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Not in UAE. Besides, it's not worth the bother in an emulator.
Cheers guys
Old 06 January 2017, 13:10   #1189
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
I think so, also great FFS, but above all excellent filesystem for integrity HD. PFS it was once a commercial software (i used on my A 4000/060), it has a undelete tool (just type .deldir on Dopus4 to recover deleted files), tool for the correction of the filesystem When invalid or corrupted.
Old 06 January 2017, 13:30   #1190
EugeneNine

Quote:
I was also talking about floppy disks. FFS is not used very often on floppies as KS 1.3 does not support it. I think even WB 3.1 disks use OFS.
You boot WB 1.3 from an OFS formatted floppy but load a FFS driver early on than use FFS floppies after that. I used FFS for pretty much everything but the WB disk.
Old 06 January 2017, 16:42   #1191
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Is there something like "cd.." in the CLI for going up one directory/drawer?
Old 06 January 2017, 16:45   #1192
demolition
Unregistered User

cd /
Old 06 January 2017, 17:02   #1193
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
cd /
Thanks
Old 06 January 2017, 17:05   #1194
idrougge

Quote:
cd /
Too long. Just / is enough.
Old 06 January 2017, 17:06   #1195
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Nice to know. I have wasted a lot of keystrokes through the years then..

Edit: Using primarily Danish kb layout, unfortunately I need to use the Shift key to access '/' (without using the numeric keypad), adding even more keystrokes.
Old 06 January 2017, 17:09   #1196
Jope
-

Quote:
This works in 2.0 and newer.

cd : for the root of the device.
Old 06 January 2017, 19:42   #1197
appiah4

I guess this can go here..

What is the best way to take a modern day image (PNG, JPEG, RAW etc.) and reduce the resolution, colors and convert to a format an OCS Amiga can display?

Also, what is the best Amiga image viewer?
Old 06 January 2017, 19:56   #1198
Pat the Cat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Some modules work in earlier releases, but if the handler, library or device requires OS functions that are not present in your earlier release, you're going to have a bad time. :-)
Oh MAAAAAAAAN... you just don't get how I feel about this one. Being able to slot newer bits of AmigaDOS, then load other stuff, is a real game changer in compatibility terms. Can be, when it works.

You see, it's not just a HACK AT ALL. It was always designed to be that way, right from the beginning. It started as a hit and miss hack for adding libraries and devices, and Commodore controlled it, nurtured it, and other people took it up too. It's now pretty good, but what the limitations are on a given Amiga is a moot point really.

Support for it has gradually improved, to a vast extent. Listen feller, I didn't even know WTF WHDLoad and similar were for, let alone this one.

Were and what is BOOPSI, eh? I was never even told that BOOPSI had been incorporated as a dev tool. That was strictly on a "need to know" or something. That's where I got that .guide originated snippet from.

https://www.codewiz.org/projects/amiga/

Turns out, Boopsi was incorporated as a Dev tool for WB2.0 onwards. As far as I knew, it was some kind of screwy third party add on that crashed occasionally but let you produce beatifully sculpted datasets, that were related to each other. Kind of like doing hardware with just code and data. It was a beautiful, new and rich idea when I looked at Boopsi, but I had no idea it was so FUNDAMENTAL as a dev tool. I didn't know anything but MUI that used Boopsi... there ya go, turns out the whole OS was very much influenced by the little monster. Hardware and software.

It's great news for adding new hardware tech. I always thought that was SO limited... because I was lied to and bs to, by a lot of other sources.

I feel like I've been kept in a corner and fed bs for a lot of years, people. That's an awesome feature to have on an operating system. Even if there are limitations and failures.

2.1 and later, I think. That's where it all started to gel, so that the system could politely replace bits of itself with other newer versions, no real hassle. That's the "magic gold dust" I was kept well away from, I can see that now. It's just got a lot better since then. 3.0 similar to 2.05 and 2.05, Commodore deliberately crippled those, I feel. Keep the users small. Give them a semi functional system, leave a few bugs in so that RTG and PC disk file systems don't work properly. Keep your cards hidden.

Meh! I need a few cups of coffee to cool off about that one.

Last edited by Pat the Cat; 06 January 2017 at 20:24.
Old 06 January 2017, 20:15   #1199
s2325
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by appiah4 View Post
I guess this can go here..

What is the best way to take a modern day image (PNG, JPEG, RAW etc.) and reduce the resolution, colors and convert to a format an OCS Amiga can display?

Also, what is the best Amiga image viewer?
XnView for Windows.
Old 06 January 2017, 22:44   #1200
idrougge

Quote:
Nice to know. I have wasted a lot of keystrokes through the years then..

Edit: Using primarily Danish kb layout, unfortunately I need to use the Shift key to access '/' (without using the numeric keypad), adding even more keystrokes.
On a Swedish kb, you can press alt-minus. That's like one keystroke.