English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 05 September 2020, 05:16   #101
NovaCoder

Very weird, let me double check myself.

It might be because you have the wrong WAD version, it seems like it's very sensitive for some reason.

Last edited by NovaCoder; 05 September 2020 at 07:30.
Old 06 September 2020, 04:09   #102
alenppc

Small update: I was able to get the 030 version to run on the LC060 without issues. The engine seems a bit picky about wad files but otherwise it works fine. I can confirm the FPU is not necessary. You may want to double check which version of the doomsound.library you are using, because that could contain fpu code (i.e. don’t use the 060 version).
Old 06 September 2020, 15:10   #103
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenppc View Post
Small update: I was able to get the 030 version to run on the LC060 without issues. The engine seems a bit picky about wad files but otherwise it works fine. I can confirm the FPU is not necessary. You may want to double check which version of the doomsound.library you are using, because that could contain fpu code (i.e. don’t use the 060 version).
Cool, thanks for confirming that

I've built a special 060 version for the TF1260 that doesn't need an FPU, it should run faster than using the 030 compiled version off AmiNet.

Last edited by NovaCoder; 13 September 2020 at 16:15.
Old 06 September 2020, 16:08   #104
alenppc

This one runs considerably faster, thanks
Old 06 September 2020, 17:06   #105
d4rk3lf

Hey NovaCoder
Amazing job on all Doom/Quake/Wolf... etc... ports so far.
Thanks.

Just out of curiosity...
Do you think it would be possible to port Doom for A500 users with Aca500+ card?
It's 68000 proc, but it can run up to 42Mhz, there is also 8MB of Ram, and HD on CF card.
I know there's OCS version of Doom, but minimum is 020 I think.

Or at least Wolf3D?
Old 06 September 2020, 17:15   #106
manossg

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Hey NovaCoder
Amazing job on all Doom/Quake/Wolf... etc... ports so far.
Thanks.

Just out of curiosity...
Do you think it would be possible to port Doom for A500 users with Aca500+ card?
It's 68000 proc, but it can run up to 42Mhz, there is also 8MB of Ram, and HD on CF card.
I know there's OCS version of Doom, but minimum is 020 I think.

Or at least Wolf3D?

That would be awesome!
Old 13 September 2020, 10:04   #107
Knight Rider

I tested yesterday the latest ZDoom v1.22 (AGA, 030), as well as these two (ODAMEX, NO_FPU) versions on WinUAE and I can say that they all work only with 128 Mb of RAM.
I don't have old versions to test, but this may be the reason why the game won't start, as Reido mentioned in his post.
I used a 2 Mb chip + 128 Z3 Fast ram and 060 CPU.
If I set 64 Mb of RAM, the game refuses to start, without any error message with all four versions, mentioned above.

Also, I can confirm that the NO_FPU version really runs faster and smoother than the others.

btw, every time I start the game, it asks me to insert volume Work: which of course I don't have.
When I press Cancel, the game starts but it's still a little annoying.
Old 13 September 2020, 10:52   #108
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Rider View Post
I tested yesterday the latest ZDoom v1.22 (AGA, 030), as well as these two (ODAMEX, NO_FPU) versions on WinUAE and I can say that they all work only with 128 Mb of RAM.
I don't have old versions to test, but this may be the reason why the game won't start, as Reido mentioned in his post.
I used a 2 Mb chip + 128 Z3 Fast ram and 060 CPU.
If I set 64 Mb of RAM, the game refuses to start, without any error message with all four versions, mentioned above.

Also, I can confirm that the NO_FPU version really runs faster and smoother than the others.

btw, every time I start the game, it asks me to insert volume Work: which of course I don't have.
When I press Cancel, the game starts but it's still a little annoying.
That's interesting, thanks for the feeback.

At least you are seeing some consistency between ODAMEX and ZDOOM which is what I'd expect because they both share the same start up code for memory initialization.

I'll see if I can replicate your issue by only giving WinUAE 64 MB.

I assume it will work if you use the 'heapsize' tooltype to use less memory?

It will only be trying to access 'Work:' if it's in the ini file, have a look and change it to what you use.

Also interesting that the 'no FPU' faster seems faster for you.

Update: Okay I have replicated what you found in WinUAE myself and it works fine as long as you set the tooltype's heapsize to less than the amount of memory you have (otherwise ZDOOM just tries to use all of your FASTRAM).

I'll see if I can do some new builds that fix it up properly.

Update:

Okay try this, should fix your memory allocation issues. Minimum memory is now 32 MB

Compiled for 020-060 (NO FPU)

Last edited by NovaCoder; 14 September 2020 at 02:58.
Old 13 September 2020, 19:00   #109
Knight Rider

Thank you, it works great now with both 32 and 64 Mb of RAM.
btw, can you tell me what are the main differences between ADoom and your port?
I tested Ultimate Doom WAD and I only noticed that in ADoom, the demo starts right at the beginning, but its missing in your port and only gives a credit screen.
Is this adjustable in some settings, maybe ?

Actually, I want to thank you for all your hard work and great things you have done, especially for all these AGA ports.
Also, your tutorial for starting the game Nightlong, helped me a lot, the game works great and I really like it.
Old 14 September 2020, 00:50   #110
NovaCoder

Cool, glad that fixed it.

ZDOOM is way more modern than ADoom, just compare the options in game to get an idea of the differences.

Demos are unfortunately disabled in this version of ZDOOM.
Old 14 September 2020, 11:23   #111
starship

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Cool, glad that fixed it.

ZDOOM is way more modern than ADoom, just compare the options in game to get an idea of the differences.

Demos are unfortunately disabled in this version of ZDOOM.
But adoom has ppc support, zdoom not.
Old 14 September 2020, 13:33   #112
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by starship View Post
But adoom has ppc support, zdoom not.
ZDOOM is way more advanced than ADoom..
Old 15 September 2020, 22:20   #113
starship

Sure. Advanced, but not ppc supported. I cant play zdoom on my real hardware with 800x600 resolution. It is like slideshow. But I play adoom 800x600 35fps with my ppc .
Old 15 September 2020, 23:56   #114
Estrayk

btw NovaCoder, ZDoom support real MIDI via CAMD? (Roland SC-88)
Old 16 September 2020, 02:03   #115
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estrayk View Post
btw NovaCoder, ZDoom support real MIDI via CAMD? (Roland SC-88)
No unfortunately not, I did try and add MIDI support a couple of times and got it working but it just doesn't sound good enough to release it. ZDOOM is not really setup to work with something like CAMD and so it would require a lot of work.

I even added MIDI support to ODAMEX once but it has the same problem as ZDOOM (based on the same MIDI code).

[ Show youtube player ]

I did recently add OGG music playback to ODAMEX RTG though so if you have the CPU cycles and RTG you can get some decent music playing.
Old 16 September 2020, 02:56   #116
pipper

If your ports support doomsound.library, I can help with that. I wrote a doomsound_midi.library that intercepts the relevant music playback calls and does the music playback via CAMD instead. Regular sound effects are still played back via doomsound.library. The MIDI playback is super low overhead. You don’t even need a midi cable or midi-usb adapter to do midi playback via a pc. A Nullmodem cable and a serial-midi bridge Software like the free “Hairless Midi-Serial Bridge” is enough time hook up a PC as MIDI synthesizer. The PC can then be used to emulate MT32 or SC55 in software.

doomsound_midi.library is currently only part of the ADoom fork I’m maintaining, but I know it definitely also works with DoomAttack. It should be possible to use it in other ports that playback via doomsound.library as well.

GitHub mheyer32/ADoom
Old 16 September 2020, 03:03   #117
NovaCoder

Cool, yes I do remember seeing that now you mention it.

Quite a few of my old ports use the doomsound.library actually. AmiWolf/AmiSpear/Descent and ZDOOM

So to add MIDI support people just need to swap out the doomsound.library with a different version then?
Old 16 September 2020, 06:29   #118
BSzili
old chunk of coal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipper View Post
If your ports support doomsound.library, I can help with that. I wrote a doomsound_midi.library that intercepts the relevant music playback calls and does the music playback via CAMD instead. Regular sound effects are still played back via doomsound.library. The MIDI playback is super low overhead. You don’t even need a midi cable or midi-usb adapter to do midi playback via a pc. A Nullmodem cable and a serial-midi bridge Software like the free “Hairless Midi-Serial Bridge” is enough time hook up a PC as MIDI synthesizer. The PC can then be used to emulate MT32 or SC55 in software.

doomsound_midi.library is currently only part of the ADoom fork I’m maintaining, but I know it definitely also works with DoomAttack. It should be possible to use it in other ports that playback via doomsound.library as well.

GitHub mheyer32/ADoom
Nice, I also wanted to do such a patch for doomsound.library! When I have a chance I'll try it with my cheap MIDI synth module.
Old 16 September 2020, 06:49   #119
pipper

It doesn’t work out of the box as drop-in replacement yet, as I changed the executable to look for doomsound_midi.library first, which in turn will load doomsound.library.

What I need to do is to make it so that one can rename doomsound_midi.library to doomsound.library and when the executable loads it, it needs to look in turn after a renamed original, say doomsound_original.library.

This can be done quickly.

The ‘NullModem’ driver in that project is a slightly modified version of the original CAMD internal serial driver, but operates at 38400 baud. The issue with the standard 31250baud is that you usually cannot chose this as serial speed on the PC side; but 38400 is available. Copy NullModem to devs:midi/ and use MidiPrefs to select it as output driver for CAMD.

The github project only has the sources, no prebuilt binaries. The Makefile is targeted at Bebbo’s GCC6.5 toolchain.
Old 16 September 2020, 07:52   #120
NovaCoder

Just a suggestion..

What if you renamed the original doomsound.library to something like doomsound_old.library and then renamed your replacement library to doomsound.library and made your library look for doomsound_old.library?

Would that work for all games that use doomsound.library?