umm
i need a metod to reach a compatibile card for my amiga 1200
Old 29 January 2007, 21:12   #102
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@dexther

there are principly two methods of CF for the Amiga

1. CF by PCMCIA
this is by far the quickest method and is quiet easy to setup. at the moment this method is not bootable (but we are working on it)

2. CF by IDE
A little more difficult to setup but offers great speed and flexibility for the Amiga.

buy a CF to IDE converter (you can find these on ebay arround £2)

The best method to create a useable workbench and to prepare the disk is to use PC running WinUAE but you can use the OS3.1 install disks on the amiga.

an important note to make when preparing the the conpact flash card as a hard disk under HDTOOLS is to specify the MAXTRANSFERS to the following value 0x1ef0000 (this eliminates false checksum and read errors).

reading the posts here will help also.
Old 30 January 2007, 19:01   #103
dambuster
Zone Friend

@gizmomelb
thanks, im already using a cf /ide adaptor, but this will stop me having to lift the lid to change cards. Will probably look for a small card (sub 512mb) to use as a swap disk
Old 31 January 2007, 03:36   #104
gizmomelb

hmm I was considering modding my A1200 so the CF adapter from the CF to IDE was poking out the side.. so the HDD could be easily pulled and connected to the IBM etc.
Old 31 January 2007, 10:29   #105
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

case modding eh?

Heys buddy,

Heres an idea somewhat inspired by electroblaster

I did test this and it does fit awsomely. have a look at page two on this thread..
Old 01 February 2007, 22:13   #106
dambuster
Zone Friend

Considered that mod when fitting my dvdr, but didnt have enough space for that and the dvd.
However I did consider using the expansion slot by the mouse port, single card but be careful which adaptor you get, you need a horizontal connector, verticle as in above pic fouls bottom of floppy drive. Final resting place for mine will probably out of the back the upper case, may even verticle mount it
Old 01 February 2007, 22:52   #107
dambuster
Zone Friend

For desktop m/cs these may be of interest
http://linitx.com/product_info.php?c...a4be56389e1eba
or
http://linitx.com/product_info.php?c...oducts_id=1180
Old 01 February 2007, 23:00   #108
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

I tell ya what damnbuster.... that vertical mounting would be awsome retro.... just like an old atri vcs /2600

sweet!
Old 01 February 2007, 23:08   #109
dambuster
Zone Friend

Thats what I thought, and the CF cards are only slightly thicker than the cooling slots mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Just as well my pals borrowed the dremmel, allows a little more thinking time - aw soddit pass the hack saw ive still got plenty of isopon
Old 01 February 2007, 23:16   #110
Dexther

i'm Found on Ebay a interface mount a 2in 1 cf on One Ide
My intention are to fit 2 compact flash
1 on os 3.9 (512Mb) end 2 Cf on a my complete colection on whdload (4gb )

Is are are possibile to work on Amiga 1200 ?
Old 01 February 2007, 23:25   #111
dambuster
Zone Friend

@Dexther
no probs youll normally find a jumper that allows you select which card will master/slave
Old 01 February 2007, 23:49   #112
Dexther

end for a dvd ?

The supply of 1200 classic are a good for this operation ?
Old 02 February 2007, 00:06   #113
dambuster
Zone Friend

@Dexther
for dvd try this
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=27234

youll need a better power supply than the standard brick, an atx supply works well, see this http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=27830

like several others i wired a seperate "power bus" direct from the power socket to provide a +12v, +5v & 0v for the DVD / CF devices
Old 19 February 2007, 21:29   #114
Faerytale
Zone Friend

expensive but cool..

http://www.geekstuff4u.com/product_i...roducts_id=492
Old 19 February 2007, 21:41   #115
Jope
-

Heh, fun idea, but a CF-adapter + CF-card is probably faster and cheaper. :-)
Old 20 February 2007, 05:49   #116
th4t1guy

I just noticed this thread the other day, and it really got me thinking about switching to a CF. I just have a few questions about the whole thing.

First of all, my setup is a cd32 with the sx-1 expansion. I currently have an 812meg laptop harddrive in there with OS3.9 installed.

1. Is the power consumption less with a CF card + 44-pin IDE adapter or with the laptop harddrive?

2. Someone I talked to brought up an idea that using CF as a harddrive has too many read/writes for it to maintain accuracy over an extended period of time. Any thoughts on this?

3. About how long do CF cards last? Is this something I'll have to replace or redo all my data in 7 years?

4. Is CF just as fast if not faster then a normal harddrive using the SX-1 IDE controller?

5. Does anyone have a list of brands of adapters or cards that are known to work?

6. What's the maximum size for a CF card used as an IDE device? Do I have to do anything funky to get it to work? (multiple partitions, IDEfix etc.)

Thanks guys. It's nice to see everyone keeping the Amiga alive here.
Old 20 February 2007, 17:18   #117
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@th4t1guy

power consumption is less with a CF card as for one they dont have any no moving parts. this reduces heat, noise and the all to common delayed spinup-time!

CF cards can have a bit/byte bock re-written (depening on maunfactures geometry) atleast 1million times (sandisk claim!) this means you could low level format (write '0's ) 10 times a day for 300 years and still have plently of times left over. *(generaly branded cards make this claim). some OS's constantly write and re-write to the ide device (wondoze for 1) and this can reduce life expectancy.

Data concurancy during a dormant state, depends on several environmental conditions (namley tempreture, RF/EMI magnatism etc.) but if kept well its comparable with a CD/DVD technologly wich is about 20 years

CF cards have a seriously reduced seek time infact its neglagible compaired even to SCSI! however its limmited to bus speed for transfer and on an ATA100machine its 100Mb (about 12.8Megabytes persec read slightly slower for write) internal transfer rates vairy, but again limmited to the speed of the reading device! (a CF card can easly max out the Amiga IDE or even SX-1 IDE *and have a good 80Mb to spare lol)

I have been helping gizmomelb in his project to MAP cards that work as an ATA complant device for the amiga. the results are interesting and more studdy is what gizmomelb is doing now. a preliminary to this is that MOST CF type 2 ( NON vairvolt ) seem to work well. this is just a preliminary, most certainly gizmomelb will have more info.

Maximum supported disk size.... well there getting bigger all the time, especially now there combining a controller to allow multiple cards to act as one unit. but as i write this the largest i have seen is 32GB Compact Flash card (dont ask the price!) 16GB's are cheaper but i doubt you will get much change outa £200.

as you know the amiga has a maximum primary partition of 4GB any thing after that usually has issues unless you update your OS software to include better disk-format-structures (geometrys) and even then its suggested to consider a small booting independent device that mounts a much larger one. under OS3.9 I have know poeple to have over 200GB setup! (all booting from a smaller <1gb drive!)

anyways... hope it helps.

[edit]
you only need an IDEfix if you have the IDE buffered hardware device connected to you amiga motherboard. I would recomend the use of a buffered interface only if you are using more than one device on the Amiga IDE chain. a buffered device means that the cables can be longer and specifically each device would not interfere with the other. IDEfix97 is a good solution but there are others such like IDEmax and EIDE99 www.amigakit.com stock a range of ID products for your perusing leasure and there shipping and handling is pretty much second to none i have to say! (they do deliver to the states )

Last edited by Zetr0; 20 February 2007 at 17:27.
Old 21 February 2007, 08:57   #118
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

I have a question regarding the whole "max transfer" setting thing.

"ve no idea how to write Amiga code and I've seen settings represented as code, and people just saying to set it a certain way, without being specific.

Both my A600s are running CF cards as HDDs (different brands) and I never changed any transfer settings (don't know how)...they work great

Is there any reason I should even bother changing the transfer speed?

PZ.
Old 21 February 2007, 11:14   #119
Jope
-

It is a block size and if it works great, don't change it. If it doesn't change it to 0x1fe00.

This is usually a hard drive problem, though. It seems that the CF cards can accept any size transfer blocks?

What do you have yours set to?
Old 22 February 2007, 00:58   #120
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

As I said above, I don't know...don't know how to check, don't know how to change...oops!