English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 22 December 2022, 17:19   #101
rsn8887

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzza View Post
Good spot, this is the first time I've heard of this. I wonder if it affects jumping up the secrets blocks in the later waterfall. I have added it to the list to look at for a future update.

Thankfully there are no serious problems reported so far, but I have a few minor tweaks that I will make. Including making the default sprite the Amiga one, as I'm tired of reading comments about it!
Thank you for looking into this! I checked again with the original Turrican 2 on Amiga and, yes, I can confirm that in the original game, the waterfalls affect jumping in a few secret areas with secret blocks and secret 1ups. It makes the jumps harder.
Old 22 December 2022, 17:31   #102
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzza View Post
It was a lot of work, and I need a rest now. It's the last mile that kills you, when the fun of implementing something new and shiny is all in the past.
I reach that point at about 50% currently. It is where deep-rooted design problems can start to lead to massive rewrites where you are writing hundreds of lines of code again to get to exactly where you already were, sans one or two problems.
Old 22 December 2022, 17:51   #103
AmyMor

I write something that I never imagined writing, I PREFERED TO FINISH THE GAME WITH SPRITE DOS...It gave me back more of a REMAKE feeling!
Old 22 December 2022, 18:02   #104
sodapop

Incredible effort ! Hat off !!!
Old 22 December 2022, 22:29   #105
Torti-the-Smurf

For all the FPGA Minimig users out there !!!

Use the Option NOCACHE or the included "Turrican2AGA_NoCache" Icon
to get rid of the graphic glitch in World 3-2 (the second flying stage)

Have Fun Guys

Last edited by Torti-the-Smurf; 22 December 2022 at 22:33. Reason: Little hint:The firing rate is the same for all Reapons, so the Laser is total op !! :) Poor Bosses XD
Old 23 December 2022, 00:31   #106
Slay

I played the first few levels today and it is great! Love to see my favourite amiga game with such beautyful new graphics. Cant wait to complete the game and see the new look of the rest of the game.
Old 23 December 2022, 01:03   #107
Muzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc68060 View Post
Do you think a CD32 version that uses the music from Chris Huelsbeck's Turrican Anthology would be feasible? A few years ago Chris Huelsbeck remade every single track from Turrican II (and from Turrican 1+2 as well) for his Turrican Anthology project so the music is all there in 44.1khz 16-bit stereo hi-definition audio. Nothing is missing. Combining this music with your Turrican II AGA would be the wildest dream and would make Turrican II AGA the ultimate Turrican experience on ANY platform!!
It is being lightly explored. There may be rights issues even if Chris himself is apparently ok with it.
I also have some concerns about adapting the game to work in a system friendly way that works with the CD, and being able to loop tracks etc. but I don't know much at all about programming for the CD32 yet.
I was asked if I could do something similar with the Vampire V4, which sounds a lot easier to do as you could load the entire tracks into RAM. However I don't have the hardware and I'm not keen on trying to do something like this without being able to thoroughly test it myself.
We'll see...
Old 23 December 2022, 02:42   #108
demoniac

Might've found another secrets bug. This time it's in World 2-2, besides the last secret coloration issue, the secrets counter did not increment to 3.
Old 23 December 2022, 02:53   #109
Muzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoniac View Post
Might've found another secrets bug. This time it's in World 2-2, besides the last secret coloration issue, the secrets counter did not increment to 3.

I'm not seeing that myself, are you sure you collected the other 2?
Old 23 December 2022, 03:06   #110
lmimmfn

This is completely minor but any chance of:
1. Having the "cheat" for music selection from the title
2. It's not in the PC version but on the title screen on the Amiga there are sparkles on the Turrican logo.

Again those are only minor quibbles but Muzza you have done an absolutely fantastic job in updating my favourite Amiga game and especially for Christmas time. I'll have some time to play this properly over the holiday period.
Thank you very much Muzza, we really appreciate what you have created.
Old 23 December 2022, 03:06   #111
demoniac

I just double-checked and it worked the 2nd time. Maybe I accidentally restored a save state without the 2nd secret being found as the counter in memory is incrementing for all three? I'll play around a bit. Thanks for the quick response.
Old 23 December 2022, 07:26   #112
klx300r

Thumbs up

amazing AGA version and awesome Christmas gift to all amigans
Old 23 December 2022, 08:35   #113
stefl0n

I have to admit, i completely forgot how to play Turrican with a joystick. I failed badly.

May I ask if it's possible to add the simple keyboard controls (cursor keys + CTRL) from the PC-DOS game to a future version?
Old 23 December 2022, 10:51   #114
roondar

The only thing I personally miss is the option to disable autofire when using the more-than-1-button controller options. But to be honest that is a very, very minor nitpick to a great release.

Now... To find those secrets
Old 23 December 2022, 11:03   #115
kremiso

just to report that played via floppies (also with 3 drives enabled)
the game requires 2MB Chip + just 1MB Fast

totally played in this way here
Old 23 December 2022, 11:24   #116
ransom1122

Pressing Down to expose new areas without moving seems a very easy way to play.

Usually you would have to position yourself in an area before enemies expose themselves which can be difficult

With the new way it seems easier to expose enemies and shoot from further away
Old 23 December 2022, 11:34   #117
Muzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
The only thing I personally miss is the option to disable autofire when using the more-than-1-button controller options. But to be honest that is a very, very minor nitpick to a great release.

Now... To find those secrets
If you play with the original control scheme and a two button joystick, auto-fire is also disabled (and the 2nd fire button acts like space)
I'm not sure why you want auto-fire to be disabled though? It always seemed like a limitation of the original imposed by 1 button joysticks rather than a desired feature. Can you explain exactly what controls you want to use?
Old 23 December 2022, 11:37   #118
Muzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
Pressing Down to expose new areas without moving seems a very easy way to play.

Usually you would have to position yourself in an area before enemies expose themselves which can be difficult

With the new way it seems easier to expose enemies and shoot from further away

It would be a very slow way to play, but you can turn it off if you find it too easy. I found the original to be unfair in a few places. I tried to make the camera auto assist in those places but it was off-putting. This seemed like the best compromise.
Old 23 December 2022, 11:42   #119
Muzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixel View Post
How easy is it to switch out palettes? In some parts of the DOS version it’s like they were allergic to colour and decided to strip a lot of the saturation out, counterintuitively reducing the colours while increasing the colour count.

Easy to change palettes, and some worlds currently have plenty of colours to spare with the existing art, but others use every every slot, especially the ones that reserve one bitplane for a parallax mask (like World 2 and 4-1).
Old 23 December 2022, 11:45   #120
Muzza

Just a general comment: I am noting down the smaller suggestions and will try and incorporate many of them in a future update, even if I'm not replying to every one.

And thanks for all the positive feedback. This game wouldn't have happened without the tech support and encouragement of this board.