English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 12 February 2021, 23:34   #101
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
I thought with 3BPL we can get a whole sheet into RAM?
I think we might be able to, as long as we can flip the half we need realtime, and possibly calculate the mask needed for the masked player bob
Old 13 February 2021, 12:00   #102
LaBodilsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanScott View Post
I think we might be able to, as long as we can flip the half we need realtime, and possibly calculate the mask needed for the masked player bob
you could maybe do that with a combination of CPU and Blitter.

chb talked about that some time ago in another thread:
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...6&postcount=35
Old 13 February 2021, 12:36   #103
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

I think the blitter flip would end up slower than the CPU to be honest.

As a frame might need copying from extra ram (slow/fast) to a chip ram buffer, you might as well flip it there and then with the CPU before writing it into the buffer.

Otherwise you have to CPU copy, and then blitter flip the buffer afterwards.

If we copy 4 planes (4 words in one movem.w), we can then flip, and also "or" the words together to make the mask too... all done as part of the copy sequence.

If we use blitter interrupts to do a blit queue, then the blitter can be doing all it's work plotting while the CPU is working in the background with game logic, frame copying/flipping etc...
Old 13 February 2021, 15:27   #104
BippyM
Global Moderator

So I want to move both of these threads out of "Amiga Scene".. I was thinking the Game Factory, but that doesn't quite fit. Then none of the coding forums quite fit. Any suggestions guys??
Old 13 February 2021, 15:45   #105
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by BippyM View Post
So I want to move both of these threads out of "Amiga Scene".. I was thinking the Game Factory, but that doesn't quite fit. Then none of the coding forums quite fit. Any suggestions guys??
Bippy, i propose that you open a thread called 'Amiga Technical discussion'.

This is really what it is all about.
Old 13 February 2021, 17:08   #106
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

move to -> Kinky Amiga Stuff

but seriously, don't know where it will best fit

perhaps a new forum/sub forum area is needed
Old 13 February 2021, 17:20   #107
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Isn't this coding/asm?
Old 13 February 2021, 17:33   #108
d4rk3lf

I guess "coders general" would be most accurate.

But why would you remove it from here?
It's happening right now, the discussion is hot, the solutions are great, if that's not Amiga scene, then what it is?
Old 13 February 2021, 17:54   #109
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
Isn't this coding/asm?
Not sure really, it also involves discussion of graphics etc..
Old 13 February 2021, 18:22   #110
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
But why would you remove it from here?
It's happening right now, the discussion is hot, the solutions are great, if that's not Amiga scene, then what it is?

Because it isn't really scene related is it? Maybe a released game, or a post on a forthcoming game, not the technical requirements and discussion on how to achieve that. It is much more suited in the coders sections..
I'll ask RCK to create another subforum there
Old 13 February 2021, 21:12   #111
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BippyM View Post
Because it isn't really scene related is it? Maybe a released game, or a post on a forthcoming game, not the technical requirements and discussion on how to achieve that. It is much more suited in the coders sections..
I'll ask RCK to create another subforum there
Just my opinion but in the main section here I would like to see an additional sub-forum titled "homebrew", within that forum I would also like to see a "Work in progress", "Completed Projects" and "Tombstoned Projects" sub-forums.

Every six months or so a mod should go into the forum and move the WIP projects to either completed or tombstoned so that it is not a huge admin overhead.

For me the news section simply doesn't work, and I find the Projects forum far down in the list that people often miss updates.

Just my opinion - shoot me down if you wish.
Old 14 February 2021, 10:59   #112
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
just my opinion but in the main section here i would like to see an additional sub-forum titled "homebrew", within that forum i would also like to see a "work in progress", "completed projects" and "tombstoned projects" sub-forums.

Every six months or so a mod should go into the forum and move the wip projects to either completed or tombstoned so that it is not a huge admin overhead.

For me the news section simply doesn't work, and i find the projects forum far down in the list that people often miss updates.

+1
Old 14 February 2021, 12:24   #113
touko

Quote:
Just my opinion but in the main section here I would like to see an additional sub-forum titled "homebrew", within that forum I would also like to see a "Work in progress", "Completed Projects" and "Tombstoned Projects" sub-forums.

Every six months or so a mod should go into the forum and move the WIP projects to either completed or tombstoned so that it is not a huge admin overhead.

For me the news section simply doesn't work, and I find the Projects forum far down in the list that people often miss updates.

I agree, this forum lacks of a proper homebrew section, i find that everything is a little scattered here and here .
Old 14 February 2021, 13:18   #114
LaBodilsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanScott View Post
I think the blitter flip would end up slower than the CPU to be honest.

As a frame might need copying from extra ram (slow/fast) to a chip ram buffer, you might as well flip it there and then with the CPU before writing it into the buffer.

Otherwise you have to CPU copy, and then blitter flip the buffer afterwards.

If we copy 4 planes (4 words in one movem.w), we can then flip, and also "or" the words together to make the mask too... all done as part of the copy sequence.

If we use blitter interrupts to do a blit queue, then the blitter can be doing all it's work plotting while the CPU is working in the background with game logic, frame copying/flipping etc...
All true. If the gfx is stored in slow/fastmem, the cpu would be the better option.

Although, if it's stored in chipmem, could you not then store the gfx as 2-pass pre flipped/scrambled, and then do 2 pass blitter, to display normal image, and a 2 pass blitter to display the flipped image. so a 2 pass blitter operation, for either normal or flipped image?.(edit: of course as you will always need to flip at least one player, you would not save anything with this, 2 x 2pass for 2 players vs 1x4 pass for one player.)

i'm currently exploring a way to get it down to 3 pass blitter for a flip. So with prescrambled gfx, it could be 1 blittter pass for normal image, and 2 pass for flipped image.

even if the blitter is slower for this, you would save 128kb memory.
Old 15 February 2021, 12:00   #115
pink^abyss

The fastest code is the one you never call, so i would avoid flipping at all at runtime
If you have a good 'sprite builder' you don't have that much data. Having that data double should then perhaps work too. So for me the very first thing to do would be to explore how much data is really needed. If doubling is sufficent then one can do the flips for all images at start of the level.
Old 21 February 2021, 13:44   #116
DMWCashy

Quote:
just my opinion but in the main section here i would like to see an additional sub-forum titled "homebrew", within that forum i would also like to see a "work in progress", "completed projects" and "tombstoned projects" sub-forums.

Every six months or so a mod should go into the forum and move the wip projects to either completed or tombstoned so that it is not a huge admin overhead.

For me the news section simply doesn't work, and i find the projects forum far down in the list that people often miss updates.

+1
Old 21 February 2021, 14:36   #117
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWCashy View Post
+1

It should be coming.. RCK has been messaged
Old 22 February 2021, 19:32   #118
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

If the Famicom can do this Bootleg an Amiga OCS/ECS can definitely do it - even better; am pretty surprised of the quality of those, not top notch but better than the US Gold version for sure! [not sure on the AI though]

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 22 February 2021, 20:17   #119
Luca underdog

in the second version at the chun li stage the chicken seller should be censored...
street fighter IV on nes its really good
Old 22 February 2021, 20:22   #120
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

is 'choking the chicken' if you know what i mean :P