English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 05 April 2015, 20:54   #101
Megol

So you complain that using a standard menu that is clearly labeled isn't discoverable? Honestly that seems like complaining for its own sake.
Old 05 April 2015, 22:18   #102
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

it's not clearly labelled. it is completely unlabelled. there is no menu bar.

the standard way to resize a window is just to drag it with the mouse, not to open a hidden dialog and type a number into a box. i'm obviously not the only one to have this problem given there's a thread on StackOverflow about it.
Old 05 April 2015, 23:45   #103
Megol

Properties/Layout isn't labeled?

The reason you can't drag to size is backwards compatibility with programs expecting a 80 characters wide text screen. But adjust the screen buffer width and then one can drag it up to the buffer size. The difference? If one does that then it's the _user_ that selects to have less compatibility by default. And compatibility have been MS bread and butter.

BTW the Unix solution to resizing is frankly a hack. The MS solution have less chance of failing but isn't really a good solution either.
Old 07 April 2015, 16:06   #104
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWay View Post
Did you read the Andy Finkel article about CAOS from Amiga Transactor #1?
Check it out here if not: http://www.thule.no/haynie/caos.html
I read it years ago, but never took the resource tracking bit seriously since it was never implemented. Which OS had resource tracking in 1985, BTW?
Old 07 April 2015, 16:11   #105
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
Yeah, from AS225 through AmiTCP to RoadShow, all IP stacks on Amiga are just bad ports.
For obvious reasons, I've never run AS225, but I have run AmiTCP since 1994, still do, and have it on original disks with (quite good) documentation.
And of course it was a bad port. In order to put TCP/IP in AmigaOS, NSDI basically took half of the BSD kernel, as well as much of the userland including etc/passwd, bin/ls, and ported it to the Amiga, which faciliatated a lot of bad ports from UNIX. Credit where credit's due, they also made a lot of good adaptations, such as file notification support, an ARexx interface and so on.
RoadShow seems to take a different approach, dispensing with the AMITCP:db directory and arcade commands.
Old 07 April 2015, 17:41   #106
NorthWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Which OS had resource tracking in 1985, BTW?
Erm... was that a rhetoric question?

Anything multiuser probably. Unixen, VMS, MVS. GECOS?
Not sure about OS-9. Probably not Lisa.
Old 07 April 2015, 18:20   #107
Megol

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWay View Post
Erm... was that a rhetoric question?

Anything multiuser probably. Unixen, VMS, MVS. GECOS?
Not sure about OS-9. Probably not Lisa.
Don't forget Mac OS. It used a "handle" mechanism for tracking (essentially a indirection of pointers). I would be surprised if Lisa didn't use the same mechanism.
Also QNX, DESQview (at least partially) and IIRC even the original GEOS.
Old 07 April 2015, 19:58   #108
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

there's nothing mystical about resource tracking, it doesn't require an MMU, i've thought about patching it into Exec myself just to prove it.
Old 07 April 2015, 21:15   #109
Megol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
there's nothing mystical about resource tracking, it doesn't require an MMU, i've thought about patching it into Exec myself just to prove it.
Indeed.
BTW wasn't the intention that CAOS would build on the existing Exec and do the tracking at a higher level?
Old 07 April 2015, 21:23   #110
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megol View Post
Indeed.
BTW wasn't the intention that CAOS would build on the existing Exec and do the tracking at a higher level?
yes it seems so, if i read that document correctly, but existing Amiga software obviously uses Exec directly, but i think we could easily build a wrapper around Exec that provides this sort of functionality.

Just patch "free" and "allocmem" &c to keep reserved memory blocks in a doubly linked list for each task.
Old 07 April 2015, 21:39   #111
commodorejohn
Shameless recidivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megol View Post
Don't forget Mac OS. It used a "handle" mechanism for tracking (essentially a indirection of pointers). I would be surprised if Lisa didn't use the same mechanism.
I've never looked at the Lisa API myself, but I wouldn't bet on it. The Resource Manager and its associated approach to memory management were almost entirely the work of Mac Team member Bruce Horn (a Xerox alumnus who also designed the Finder,) and from his account it doesn't sound like the kind of thing most other people at Apple were doing, at the time.
Old 09 April 2015, 00:01   #112
NorthWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
Just patch "free" and "allocmem" &c to keep reserved memory blocks in a doubly linked list for each task.
At the far back of my head I remember something about an article where someone wrote up a way of how you could attach allocations to the task structure.

Anything you allocate and leave behind after you exit will crash&burn. Think Setfunction().
Old 21 April 2015, 01:46   #113
Nosferax

Funny enough, the first computer virus I ever saw in my life was the mouse inverter virus on my A1000 circa 1986 or so....
Old 21 April 2015, 08:21   #114
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Resource tracking really is trivial...it's just a matter of tracking what task allocates what resource. And it would greatly improve AmigaOS. (But some kind of opt-in system would likely be needed to handle eg. tasks that allocate resources on behalf of another task.)
Old 21 April 2015, 08:30   #115
commodorejohn
Shameless recidivist

Yeah, that's where it gets tricky, particularly since the Amiga's message-passing system is based around just handing over pointers to memory and who knows what happens to it from there...