English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 15 June 2018, 20:30   #101
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Re:stats of declining desktop usage
These stats don't mention console usage. If they are lumped in with desktops it would indicate something different, I suspect.

A gamer friend of mine suspects that Microsoft is going to make the closed ecosystem of the XBox platform displace Windows outright so that everyone has to get a DevKit to write code on it. I think he's right so we need alternatives to walled gardens.

Closed source drivers are becoming useless because they often hide malware to spy on you. We need openness in all levels of development. Operating systems, hardware, and everything.
Old 15 June 2018, 20:51   #102
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
Re:stats of declining desktop usage
These stats don't mention console usage. If they are lumped in with desktops it would indicate something different, I suspect.

A gamer friend of mine suspects that Microsoft is going to make the closed ecosystem of the XBox platform displace Windows outright so that everyone has to get a DevKit to write code on it. I think he's right so we need alternatives to walled gardens.

Closed source drivers are becoming useless because they often hide malware to spy on you. We need openness in all levels of development. Operating systems, hardware, and everything.

Don’t think that adding consoles to the desktop column is fair or correct. They aren’t the same thing.

Even Microsoft (with the apps) and Linux (Gnome) are trying to push normal desktop users away from traditional window style applications and have pushed you towards “apps”. Much to my annoyance. But it seems that that is where things are going. :/ if that’s the case then it’s a grim future for Microsoft.

Not sure what you are referring to with malware in drivers. I know some manufacturers put “malware” in their bios code (btw Amiga does this too.. zorro cards could have malware in their autoconfig roms and you’d never know). But to blame that on Microsoft is unfair. Binary drivers aren’t exclusive to Microsoft and they are the only desktop OS that has driver signing (to my knowledge.. Linux doesn’t check the signing on binary drivers)
Old 15 June 2018, 20:57   #103
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmab View Post
Don’t think that adding consoles to the desktop column is fair or correct. They aren’t the same thing.

Even Microsoft (with the apps) and Linux (Gnome) are trying to push normal desktop users away from traditional window style applications and have pushed you towards “apps”. Much to my annoyance. But it seems that that is where things are going. :/ if that’s the case then it’s a grim future for Microsoft.

Not sure what you are referring to with malware in drivers. I know some manufacturers put “malware” in their bios code (btw Amiga does this too.. zorro cards could have malware in their autoconfig roms and you’d never know). But to blame that on Microsoft is unfair. Binary drivers aren’t exclusive to Microsoft and they are the only desktop OS that has driver signing (to my knowledge.. Linux doesn’t check the signing on binary drivers)
Drivers and operating systems both spy on you. Windows 10 and Android both monitor your usage and report back to their respective companies. I've even heard some print drivers allow backdoor access to the NSA.
Old 15 June 2018, 21:02   #104
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Drivers and operating systems both spy on you. Windows 10 and Android both monitor your usage and report back to their respective companies. I've even heard some print drivers allow backdoor access to the NSA.
Stop using computers then. Its not something thats going to change. It doesnt matter which OS you use.
Old 15 June 2018, 21:18   #105
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmab View Post
Stop using computers then. Its not something thats going to change. It doesnt matter which OS you use.
Stop using money then. It's not something that's going to change. It doesn't matter which currency you use. Knowledge is power and I don't want to be unarmed in a battle of sarcastic wit.
Old 15 June 2018, 21:23   #106
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Stop using money then. It's not something that's going to change. It doesn't matter which currency you use. Knowledge is power and I don't want to be unarmed in a battle of sarcastic wit.
This makes no sense at all. I think you need to take your meds.
Old 15 June 2018, 21:26   #107
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Neither did what you said in the context of open source software. Incidentally my meds are making me tired. I'll continue this discussion later.

Edit: What happened to the post I was replying to?

Last edited by Samurai_Crow; 15 June 2018 at 21:31.
Old 15 June 2018, 21:27   #108
plasmab
Banned

*sigh*

I give up. There is no point. Every discussion ends up being hijacked by a moron with a complex.
Old 15 June 2018, 21:54   #109
Gorf

Point is:

Closed source did not help our community and did not help our platform.
This is not about giving away your work for free (there are ways to earn money with open source software), but this is about openness.

It is about others being able to pick up the work after a developer left.
This is about not reinventing the wheel over and over.
This is about the flexibility of a platform.

this does of course not mean closed source is always bad.
for a "fire and forget" game there is no immanent need for open source - nobody expects updates and nobody expects it to run on different hardware ....
(but on the other hand it does not hurt you to open it up after a while - have a look at IDsoft)

It is about the OS and about system tools including dev-tools.

I can understand hth313:
Quote:
Well, I do not know about the details here, but this discussion made me kind of go ballistic.
With "you" below I am not talking to you who are discussing here, but rather people doing shareware, owning copyrights and participating in closed source OS related matters without a viable business plan. If you realize you such person, then yes, I am talking about you.

This all comes down to the usual problem with the Amiga community and is also the reason why it will never go anywhere.
so true!!
Old 04 November 2018, 20:27   #110
swinkamor12
Banned

Next gen Amiga is interesting because it is not pc, it has seamless integration with 68k amiga software, 68k amiga software works faster than on uae on fast pc.
It is obvious, integration with 68k software does not means ppc software will work on 68k amiga.