English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 15 May 2021, 11:52   #101
Overmann

Is it correct that the developers are not being compensated for their work here? That the development receives no funding from Hyperion AND that no percentages of sales are offered to the developers? I REALLY like the look of this update, but I'm hesitant to give money to hyperion until I know that MOST of it will go to the developers.
Old 15 May 2021, 12:03   #102
Rotzloeffel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
I'll waiting until a dealer sell physical roms too.

https://www.amiga-shop.net/en/Amiga-...3-2::1068.html

add your prefered ROM here
Old 15 May 2021, 12:04   #103
Rotzloeffel

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyc View Post
I tend to have different cf cards with different os on them. If I put physical 3.2 roms in my a1200 will my 3.9 system run off it, or will it need just a little tweak or do I just blizkick the current rom I am using and ignore 3.2 for that system ?

you MUST use the setpatch command from OS 3.2 instead of the 3.9 one !
Old 15 May 2021, 12:06   #104
Rotzloeffel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overmann View Post
Is it correct that the developers are not being compensated for their work here? That the development receives no funding from Hyperion AND that no percentages of sales are offered to the developers?

This is correct! But that was never our intetion.. it´s just fun, nothing else

Quote:
I REALLY like the look of this update, but I'm hesitant to give money to hyperion until I know that MOST of it will go to the developers.

don´t worry... buy it! This is like applause for team.... thanks
Old 15 May 2021, 12:11   #105
bubbob42

Quote:
Is it correct that the developers are not being compensated for their work here? That the development receives no funding from Hyperion AND that no percentages of sales are offered to the developers? I REALLY like the look of this update, but I'm hesitant to give money to hyperion until I know that MOST of it will go to the developers.
Here we go again…

As compensation for my efforts, I requested a CD and a few extra licenses as a gift to friends and developers. Nothing more. And all the others devs knew what they’d get before the whole thing started, too.

That should be our choice and ours alone, don’t you think? Like it’ll be yours whether you’re going to buy or not.

In any case, enjoy your Amiga. Because that’s what we tried to achieve with this release.
Old 15 May 2021, 12:41   #106
BSzili
old chunk of coal

While I don't intend to fund the ongoing lawsuit, I'd like to applaud the developers for their efforts.
Old 15 May 2021, 12:44   #107
Phantasm
Not a Rebel anymore

Now that 3.2 is done well the team be continuing to work on Amiga OS or is there some uncertainty depending on sales?
Old 15 May 2021, 12:46   #108
4pLaY
www.resistance.no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Now that 3.2 is done well the team be continuing to work on Amiga OS or is there some uncertainty depending on sales?

Work continues.
Old 15 May 2021, 12:47   #109
crazyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pLaY View Post
Work continues.
So what comes next? 3.2.1 or something else?
Old 15 May 2021, 12:50   #110
4pLaY
www.resistance.no

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyc View Post
So what comes next? 3.2.1 or something else?

As with 3.1.4, there will be an update first.
Old 15 May 2021, 13:00   #111
Northgrove

Great work, team!

I always liked this renewed effort as it feels more deliberate rather than instantly throwing the kitchen sink at it in an attempt to create a marketable release.

Methodically working on the kernel and sorely lacking features to assist with modern hardware like hard drive support first and foremost, and then the layers above it makes it feel more like a Commodore release than anything before it to me. For example, it makes complete sense that Commodore would have kept up with the times with image format support and added a help system to their operating system. In that sense, this series is a little like experiencing a parallel universe where they never went under.

Even if one reason or another would make this the last release, which I hope it won't be, AmigaOS 3.1.4 - 3.2 is a monumental work that leaves this system in a much better place than before, and most importantly it's in a completely workable place that doesn't feel half-baked. While I'm sure many have plenty of ideas for it still, it's a neatly wrapped package and this is important.

So, my heartfelt thanks to the developer team for this love letter to the Amiga.

Waiting for the digital downloads to be available myself!

Last edited by Northgrove; 15 May 2021 at 13:11.
Old 15 May 2021, 13:00   #112
Overmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbob42 View Post
Here we go again…
I've not asked this question before, or seen it answered. If you are tired of answering it then that just means that a lot of people in the community want's to reward developers. There is no reason to get fed up about that.
Quote:
As compensation for my efforts, I requested a CD and a few extra licenses as a gift to friends and developers. Nothing more. And all the others devs knew what they’d get before the whole thing started, too.
That is kind of what I'm asking with my question. I had no way of knowing this, so again, there is no reason for you to get fed up about me expressing my wish for you to get fairly compensated.
Quote:
That should be our choice and ours alone, don’t you think? Like it’ll be yours whether you’re going to buy or not.
Of course I think so. Why would you assume that I don't? I don't understand why you think the tone of your post is justified by the content in my post?
Quote:
In any case, enjoy your Amiga. Because that’s what we tried to achieve with this release.
Sure.
Old 15 May 2021, 13:23   #113
RoC

AmigaOS 3.2 released!

Booked AOS 3.2 from Alinea and super thanks to the developers and testers for their hard “free” work for our community: Really appreciated!

The inclusion of the experimental CDTV/CD32 is just the icing on the cake, so many new exciting features and improvements to enjoy.

Look forward to installing it in my miggies and FPGAs.
Old 15 May 2021, 13:28   #114
Phantasm
Not a Rebel anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pLaY View Post
Work continues.
Great can't wait to try this and any future releases
Old 15 May 2021, 13:37   #115
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

@gulliver
Is the AmigaOS3.2 CD bootable on an A4000D when the 3.2 ROMs are present? I haven't found anything about it in the FAQs.

What bothers me the most when doing clean AOS3.9 installs is that I need to have an Emergency Disk ready for my current machine or another kind of boot diskette around before I can reinstall. AOS3.9 also comes with another bunch of issues if you dare to install it from anything other than its Preinstall partition.

I hope AmigaOS 3.2 will avoid these issues entirely by letting you directly boot in AmigaPE with an updated ROM

Thanks!
Old 15 May 2021, 13:50   #116
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
@gulliver
Is the AmigaOS3.2 CD bootable on an A4000D when the 3.2 ROMs are present? I haven't found anything about it in the FAQs.

What bothers me the most when doing clean AOS3.9 installs is that I need to have an Emergency Disk ready for my current machine or another kind of boot diskette around before I can reinstall. AOS3.9 also comes with another bunch of issues if you dare to install it from anything other than its Preinstall partition.

I hope AmigaOS 3.2 will avoid these issues entirely by letting you directly boot in AmigaPE with an updated ROM

Thanks!
No, for the A4000 you will need to use the Install3.2 floppy and boot from there.

CDTV and CD32 Amigas can boot directly from the CD to AmigaPE and start installation if you want to.

You may also transfer the contents of this CD-ROM to any other storage media (including flash or hard drives), and thus replace the CD-ROM.
But please remember that you must relabel this new medium volume to match the name of the CD-ROM, which in this case is "AmigaOS3.2CD"
(without quotes), and to be on the safe side, format such medium using the AmigaOS FastFileSystem (FFS), making sure that the volume is
bootable. This will make the machine boot AmigaPE and allow you to start the 3.2 installation if that is what you want.

BTW, the AmigaOS 3.2 CD-ROM comes with a printed booklet which describes the 3.2 installation steps.

Last edited by gulliver; 15 May 2021 at 14:01.
Old 15 May 2021, 13:50   #117
Rotzloeffel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
@gulliver

no.... there is not enough space in ROM for such a mechanism.... it depends on the host-adapter used. cd32, cdtv, A570, Cyberstorm mk3/PPC yes... but all other 5000 different devices on the market don´t ypu need the install Disk to aktivate the CD-Rom with any device... no emergency-Disk necessary.
Old 15 May 2021, 13:57   #118
nogginthenog
Amigan

I'm reading the FAQ now. Wow there are a lot of changes - well done everyone!
Can't wait to try the new Intuition & Shell stuff.

Hopefully the digital download won't be too far away.
Old 15 May 2021, 14:37   #119
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotzloeffel View Post
no.... there is not enough space in ROM for such a mechanism.... it depends on the host-adapter used. cd32, cdtv, A570, Cyberstorm mk3/PPC yes... but all other 5000 different devices on the market don´t ypu need the install Disk to aktivate the CD-Rom with any device... no emergency-Disk necessary.
Sadly I have a very plain A4000D with A3660. Considering how prohibitively expensive a Cyberstorm Mk. III / PPC or a WarpEngine is these days, I don't see myself owning one of these any time soon

Any plans to switch to a 2MB ROM in the future? I think that is kinda inevitable considering that it's already full to the brim

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
You may also transfer the contents of this CD-ROM to any other storage media (including flash or hard drives), and thus replace the CD-ROM.
But please remember that you must relabel this new medium volume to match the name of the CD-ROM, which in this case is "AmigaOS3.2CD"
(without quotes), and to be on the safe side, format such medium using the AmigaOS FastFileSystem (FFS), making sure that the volume is
bootable. This will make the machine boot AmigaPE and allow you to start the 3.2 installation if that is what you want.
Thanks for your reply, which brings me to my next (and hopefully last) question - can the 3.2 ROMs boot from Superfloppies? (ZIP, LS120, Jaz, etc.) That would be awesome and solve my issue
Old 15 May 2021, 14:47   #120
kamelito
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotzloeffel View Post
I guess the 6 floppies are 3.2 discs right?

14€ to ship to France forget it.

Last edited by kamelito; 15 May 2021 at 15:02.