English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 05 June 2024, 15:37   #101
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
@ViddiAmiga

You are now activated on AMIGA.org as a member.

- Can I install WHDload?

Yes - we include JST pre-installed in the C directory but WHDLoad would work fine too.

- Does it run demanding software like Jim Power or Lionheart with no problem?

Jim Power is generally good performance- a few slow downs in places but no major problems. We haven't tried Lionheart yet.

- Is it possible to slow down/speed up the system? (Very old software vs 3D games like Trapped)

You can select slower systems to decrease the performance for compatiblity reasons.

- Does it support ISO with CDDA playback?

This is in development currently- it will follow as a system update after public release. The A600GS has live updates through it's built in wireless/ethernet internet connectivity. We do not want to delay public release any further.

- CD32 Emulation?

It already can play CD32 titles if you add your own ROM.
why is whdload not preinstalled? With using aros rom as base you could even use aros roms in whdload, works for about 60-70% of all slaves
Old 05 June 2024, 18:44   #102
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafSch View Post
why is whdload not preinstalled? With using aros rom as base you could even use aros roms in whdload, works for about 60-70% of all slaves
Seems like it is a licensing issue:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz View Post
I also thought so, both are good so why put one at a "higher" position ? Seems like they use the JST button mapping and some license issue with Whdload ? A500 mini got exclusive whdload rights, i read something about this on amigaworld or amiga.org, but not confirmed with WHdload as i have seen.Seems strange whdload team would accept a one company only license...
Old 05 June 2024, 18:59   #103
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

It's similar to how they claim their fork of AROS is "more advanced" than OS3.2, it's just laughable. Seems their logic is "most advanced = whatever we were able to licence".
Old 05 June 2024, 20:17   #104
kriz

Check here for latest JST: https://github.com/jotd666/jst
Old 08 June 2024, 21:57   #105
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
It's similar to how they claim their fork of AROS is "more advanced" than OS3.2, it's just laughable. Seems their logic is "most advanced = whatever we were able to licence".
I hope you not again want a discussion about 3.2 versus aros 68k. I wait for it

BTW I work as another option on a distribution based on my Scalos configuration and software based on 3.1

It is really much missing what I normally use and expect. But I will see where it gets
Old 09 June 2024, 06:05   #106
Marcio D.

Hope everyone already placed their pre-orders before yesterday.

The price has increased from GBP 129.99 to GBP 132.99.

https://www.amigakit.com/a600gs-p-91329.html
Old 11 June 2024, 20:44   #107
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcio D. View Post
Hope everyone already placed their pre-orders before yesterday.

The price has increased from GBP 129.99 to GBP 132.99.

https://www.amigakit.com/a600gs-p-91329.html
If money is a factor then THEA500 Mini is still at sub-£85 prices on Amazon right now! With AMiNIMiga and Pandory soft mods and an additional USB hub and power supply there is barely any functional difference between these two machines. Do you want WHDLoad baked in, some bundled games and a great A500 form factor or an Arm accelerated graphics sub-system and updated serious software bundled? AmiStore might be a game changer eventually when ready but at present it's horses for course IMHO.

They both also need a keyboard but at least the Mini comes with a mouse and gamepad as standard.
Old 11 June 2024, 21:21   #108
amigakit.com

@BigD

Well the A600GS has a more advanced ARM processor and 4GB RAM. Additionally Wireless Internet and Bluetooth are built in and ready to go. The hardware is not comparable.

AmiBench is an advanced desktop and competitor systems do not feature Workbench as that is prohibited by the 2009 settlement agreement with Hyperion.

AmiStore will follow in the coming months. The intial screenshots of AmiStore running on the A600GS are here:

Old 11 June 2024, 21:40   #109
BigD

@AmigaKit

For the paying public the systems are comparable. While internet functionality is not available from the built in RGL Carousel on the Mini, the system is more than capable of internet/networking when using the easily obtained Pandory (a suped up game launcher/emulator system) and AMiNIMiga (a Workbench desktop which requires a WB 3.1 ADF for copyrighted files). These two soft mods are easily unpacked onto a memory stick for use (a shared one if the stick is big enough).

In the same way the A600GS requires the user to install WHDLoad themselves if they require that functionality. As I say, it's horses for courses!

This of course takes nothing away from your machine, it's just a touch disingenuous to imply the THEA500 Mini isn't your main competitor IMHO! Good luck with your upcoming launch!

Last edited by BigD; 11 June 2024 at 21:54.
Old 11 June 2024, 22:39   #110
amigakit.com

@BigD

I think you are underestimating the benefit of the faster CPU, 4GB RAM, 64GB storage and wireless internet out of the box. Similarly having AmiBench available out of the box on the A600GS is a clear benefit. The inconvenience of messing around installing third party "soft mods" to get a functional Workbench is not user-friendly.

RGL are not going to be interested in future and ongoing development for their Amiga users once they have their money from the initial sale.

We have significant ongoing software development plans for the A600GS platform and the applications on it. The revenues we get back from A600GS sales get reinvested in Amiga community developers and projects.
Old 11 June 2024, 22:44   #111
d4rk3lf

I am not much into these "new amigas", and perfectly happy with my Amiga 500 + Aca 500+, but the more I think about this particular product, the more I like it.
I'll probably purchase one in few months.
It's affordable, I really like the portability, and I really like the easy of use they are advertising, and running Personal Paint in FullHD will be great experience, and back in the day I played a lot with Octamed, so looking forward to work with it again... and of course games.

I also like this idea of Amistore, the question is only if they will somehow manage to spark enough interest on programmers to start developing and selling apps at Amistore.

It shows great speed on SysInfo, and I am curious why they don't advertise more that part, when showcasing device. I mean, many Amigans have crazy love for Doom (not me, though ) so just showcasing running Doom on it, might be additional selling point... or any other 3D, simulation game.

Now a little bit of silly questions:
1) Is there any way to connect 4 joysticks to the device so I can play Master Blaster game with my friends?
2) Is it possible to have some display mode that will sort of fake out the nice CRT slight blur, so pixels are not crazy big and sharp when running old games?

Good luck with the launch, and I hope soon we will get some review videos.
Old 11 June 2024, 23:19   #112
BigD

@d4rk3lf

Quote:
1) Is there any way to connect 4 joysticks to the device so I can play Master Blaster game with my friends?
It is my understanding that the A600GS has 2 x 9 pin ports and 2 x USB ports. Used in unison these can provide 4-player functionality.

In regards to your second question. I'm sure they've thought about implementing a range of filters and options but we'll wait for AmigaKit to confirm.
Old 13 June 2024, 22:49   #113
BigD

@amigakit.com

I know d4rk3lf hadn't chased this but can you tell us if there are any filter settings to get rid of sharp pixels and to introduce CRT effects etc?
Old 13 June 2024, 22:58   #114
cloverskull

I also am not much into the new Amigas but have already preordered one of these. I'm pretty excited to get my hands on one.
Old 14 June 2024, 10:18   #115
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
CD32 support seems solid. No slow downs and appears to run full speed.
Haven't tried CDTV yet, but will on weekend.
Old 14 June 2024, 10:52   #116
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
CD32 support seems solid. No slow downs and appears to run full speed.
Nice. Did you try Liberation? Or Zool? Two games which suffer slowdown on the real CD32.
Old 14 June 2024, 11:47   #117
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Nice. Did you try Liberation? Or Zool? Two games which suffer slowdown on the real CD32.
Still tweaking, I know CDDA and real CDOM is issue which is still being sorted.
Zool seems to run perfectly fine, didn't notice any slow down.
Don't have Liberation ISO here, will try at home.
Old 16 June 2024, 17:01   #118
Hypex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
I In the same way the A600GS requires the user to install WHDLoad themselves if they require that functionality. As I say, it's horses for courses!
There's a slight issue there. AmigaKit don't want to complicate it with needing third party software licences. Although WHDLoad is trivial to install, for most games they require Kickstart images to work, since they run in a kind of VM. They would then need to license them off Cloanto. But, with using AROS ROM as base, it somewhat defeats the point if official OS image isn't used by the system itself. WHDLoad itself could be pre-installed.
Old Yesterday, 16:47   #119
amigakit.com

The following software updates for the A600GS have been uploaded today through the in-built live update system. They are available to download for all registered AmiSphere users:

* Extend display line mode options to add single or double mode (double split inot scalines or smooth)
* Fix reversed DELETE CANCEL in Confirm delete games requester
* Replace 2 way boolean delete protection with 3 way UNPROTECT PROTECTED LOCKED and disable delete protec button for locked apps
* Add "skip" button in First Start Wizard that allows to delay complete wizard until next boot.
Old Yesterday, 22:35   #120
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypex View Post
There's a slight issue there. AmigaKit don't want to complicate it with needing third party software licences. Although WHDLoad is trivial to install, for most games they require Kickstart images to work, since they run in a kind of VM. They would then need to license them off Cloanto. But, with using AROS ROM as base, it somewhat defeats the point if official OS image isn't used by the system itself. WHDLoad itself could be pre-installed.
the aros roms work in whdload even in a environment based on amigaos 3.1.

i just tested it