English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 26 June 2023, 01:53   #101
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
PDF version looks and reads great! Thanks for taking the time to get it out Timo
Thanks John, and great work on the PiStorm review!
Old 26 June 2023, 01:58   #102
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korodny View Post
PDF version looks great. If that is really your first attempt, you obviously have a knack for it.

Couple of suggestions (keep in mind I have zero layout experience):

Main text should be justified, not left-aligned. In combination with automated hyphenation, this will result in a much less unruly/choppy looking layout.

IMHO, there's too much vertical space between a picture and its description. The font used for the descriptions is too big.

All boxes/screenshots/fotos should have the same width as the (justified) text column, IMHO. Currently they are slightly wider.

Also remember you can add attachments to a PDF. I.e. cover 'disk' software like Hamulet could be distributed as part of the PDF.
Thank you for the comments and suggestions! I had tried the magazine layout with justified but I found that while it looked nicer it was actually more tiring to read, so I followed the layout from Amazing Computing. But I would be interested to see what others say, do they prefer the justified or right justified. Regarding the captions, I will see how I can get the spacing closer to the picture, still figuring out how to do everything in Pages. Yeah, I would like to add the ADF to the PDF magazine, need to update that this week Thanks again for the comments and suggestions!
Old 26 June 2023, 03:06   #103
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

I just want to add one thing, it was fantastic to see AmigaBill talking about the magazine and showing it being read on a real Amiga. When I started the magazine, one of the main reasons behind it was to be able to read it on the Amiga, much like AmigaReport. While I understand not everyone has an Amiga to read it on or they prefer PDF, the magazine is really made for being read on an Amiga. And while I will try to do the PDF issue when possible, the Amiga Guide format format is going to be the main way to read the magazine. One other option is an annual PDF format at the end of each year.

And again it was so cool to see AmigaBill talking about the magazine and reading it on his A1200, thank you so much for that Bill! Things like this really help in keeping us going.
Old 26 June 2023, 03:26   #104
AmigaBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by amifan View Post
And again it was so cool to see AmigaBill talking about the magazine and reading it on his A1200, thank you so much for that Bill! Things like this really help in keeping us going.
Aw, thanks Amifan. Cheers! I didn't realize you watched the streams. I love the magazine. The PDF is really nice and can help you reach a wider audience, but for me it is very special reading it on a real Amiga with some sweet MODs playing in the background with Hippoplayer. This is a really fun and unique experience. The content is also great. Excellent articles and I love the interviews. Keep up the great work
Old 26 June 2023, 14:14   #105
klx300r

@ AmigaBill & AmiFan

I fully agree that reading WhatIFF? on my Amiga feels just right and authentic for me I also can read PDF’s on my higher end miggies which is nice but without an 060 min it would be a hassle to read on a real Amiga.
Old 27 June 2023, 02:03   #106
arcanist

If you're open to alternative formats then AmigaGuide -> HTML converters are available. You could style it to look like MultiView with CSS, even with classic Amiga webfonts.

But understand if you prefer to "keep it real".
Old 27 June 2023, 09:57   #107
A500

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaBill View Post
for me it is very special reading it on a real Amiga with some sweet MODs playing in the background with Hippoplayer. This is a really fun and unique experience. The content is also great. Excellent articles and I love the interviews. Keep up the great work

Hear hear!
Old 27 June 2023, 10:08   #108
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

Thanks, guys that really means a lot. I thought I was the only *crazy* one who actually enjoys reading AmigaGuide magazines. And I have to say a massive thanks to people like klx300r who are regular contributors to the magazine, it would not exist without your submissions and ideas.

Oh and AmigaBill, yes I try to catch it when I can as it is a great show, love the video setup and how you interact with people online.
Old 27 June 2023, 10:10   #109
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanist View Post
If you're open to alternative formats then AmigaGuide -> HTML converters are available. You could style it to look like MultiView with CSS, even with classic Amiga webfonts.

But understand if you prefer to "keep it real".
I think for the moment, I will stick to the occasional PDF, it takes a surprising amount of time to write up the content, chase up interviews etc. and then edit it for AmigaGuide, I need to leave some time for my family too lol
Old 07 August 2023, 20:14   #110
Zener

Wink

Quote:
Hey guys, the latest issue has been uploaded to Aminet and www.whatiff.info site, thank you to all the contributors for this issue, we have a lot of content, with interviews and reviews. Also for the first time, we have an exclusive demo of the game Hamulet, I hope you will enjoy this issue and the cover disk game More details are below:

Reviews:

PiStorm 32-Lite
A314-CP
HID2AMI v2.0
How Synthesizers Work
Commotron Gamepad Turbo
Aminet Goodies

Game Reviews:

Weasels Quick Gaming Corner
Attack of the Petscii Robots
Luma
NEON Noir

Guides:

A314-CP Setup
LightWave 3D - Creating Objects for 2D work
Brilliance - RubThrough Tips

Articles:
Amiga Gaming and You
Amiga Daily Software

Interviews:
Remi - Hamulet
Carlos - RedPill
Marcin - A314-CP
Mirko - HID2AMI v2.0

Shell Talk

Authors:
Ivan Sorensen, John Scolieri, Kevin Saunders, Rob O'Malley, Steve Lord and Timo Paul.
I didn't notice it has been released until now! Thank you very much for the interview
Old 08 August 2023, 00:21   #111
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

Thank you for taking part in the interview Carlos and great work on RedPill.
Old 25 August 2023, 22:01   #112
arcam

Very cool Mag ! Thanks a lot !
Old 07 September 2023, 13:08   #113
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

It is that time again, the next issue is soon to be released and this issue we have some great content and new writers on board as well.

Reviews:
* ImageFX 4.5
* OmniPort A1200
* AmigaKit RED LEDs
* Amiga CD32 Disc Reference Guide Book

Game Reviews:
* CyberPunks 2
* NightShift

Tutorials:
* LightWave 101 - Rendering DEMs
* ImageFX 101 - Digital Postcard
* Brilliance 101 - Dithering
* OctaMED 101 - Setting up OctaMED SoundStudio
* How to install RTG on PiStorm32-lite
* ELUDE Demos on PiStorm32-lite
* Reducing noise in 8-bit samples
* Modern Effects in Oldskool trackers

Articles:
* Amiga Magazines Yesterday Today
* Custom music vs stock music
* Revisiting Tokyo Retro Computer Users Meet

Interviews:
* Apollo Team Part 1 of 2
* Scorpion Engine - Erik Hogan
* RNO Developer

Cover Disk
* BitBeam Cannon Demo - Aeon Legends
* Acidic breakcore OctaMED multi-module

Authors:
Ivan Sorensen, John Scolieri, Kevin Saunders, Rob O'Malley, Roald Strauss, Tristan Shiflett, and Timo Paul.

Will update in the coming days when the upload is ready and on Aminet A massive thank you to everyone who has contributed to this issue, there is a lot of content that should hopefully tie people over until the next issue in December.

Last edited by amifan; 09 September 2023 at 15:28. Reason: Content of magazine has changed
Old 10 September 2023, 09:47   #114
Krashan
Hardware Designer

Quote:
Thanks, guys that really means a lot. I thought I was the only *crazy* one who actually enjoys reading AmigaGuide magazines.
Of course not. I enjoy it too.
Old 13 September 2023, 06:03   #115
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

Haha good to hear!
Old 13 September 2023, 06:04   #116
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

The September issue is coming out today, it has been uploaded to Aminet and once the link is up I will update the website. To get a better idea of the downloads the website links will direct to Aminet since I am terrible at coding a download counter for the website. http://aminet.net/search?query=whatiff
Old 13 September 2023, 10:10   #117
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

The latest issue is now live on Aminet and available on the website
Old 13 September 2023, 10:15   #118
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Wow, that's a massive issue Well done! I've added the newest issue to 'Collection/Diskmag/WhatIFF' on the file server (and look forward to the PDF version ).
Old 13 September 2023, 10:22   #119
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

Thank you but most of the work was done by the contributing writers, I just nagged them and then put it into AmigaGuide format lol. Haha hmm, PDF version, I will give that a try next week I think, need to get some images sorted for it
Old 13 September 2023, 15:34   #120
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

Phew, I just finished uploading the latest version to Aminet, one of the contributors had some errors that needed fixing and also wanted their modules included with the magazine. So it has grown to a size of 5mb. Once Aminet updates and shows a file size of 5mb, that will be the latest and corrected issue.