English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 03 May 2024, 05:25   #101
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
Well it depends on what you call a market.

We've had a decade of duplicating Amiga board designs, there's mATX Lisa and various A4000, A4000TX, AA3000+, A500 reloaded (I guess), GBA 1000, in total how many have those been built? Maybe 1000 total?
Wasn't there talk that more than 10,000 Vampire cards were sold? I'm sure somebody can link to the info.
Old 03 May 2024, 09:17   #102
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by copse View Post
I'd be very surprised if there was ever much of a market for new Amiga computers. I suspect that the retro market and capitalising on the people who look fondly on the past is much more lucrative. The community is doing a great job in creating new solutions like TF and pistorm and so on to cater for the actual viable retro market.

That's my theory anyway.
If someone would be willing to resurect Amithlon to make it work on today's computer (even 10-20 years old one if they are still in use - meaning as well x86 and not only x64), I would support it without doubt.
Old 03 May 2024, 09:44   #103
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Wasn't there talk that more than 10,000 Vampire cards were sold? I'm sure somebody can link to the info.
Gunnar said that on discord. In any case 1000 would mean the market would be much smaller than the AmigaOS or MorphOS platform. That is nonsense
Old 03 May 2024, 10:01   #104
pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz View Post
I agree 100% Umpa.. Cloanto (Michael Battilana) have been horrible for the Amiga scene, a true grifter!
You pay for OS3.2, yet developers doesn't get a penny and yet Cloanto who paid for having the Amiga rights are the grifters? They might as well keep doing their pro bono for Cloanto and still Cloanto would be less of a grifter then someone had paid zilch...

But then again you might help me understand
Old 03 May 2024, 12:52   #105
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpa View Post
My opinion is Cloanto are doing a great disservice to the Amiga scene. All they want to is sell and own outdated technology whilst at the same time prevent future innovation.

I don't really know how they actually make money selling this stuff, if it were not for them we would have much better Amiga computers. They are like fleas on a dog sucking the life out of it.

That's what I think - your opinion might be different.
Who is hindered to do innovations? Hyperion is not investing money either, I could take your posting and just replacing Cloanto with hyperion and it would be true either. Even worse, they are making money with the work of others. Not a real model for a future. Even if those developers and testers do that voluntary.
Old 03 May 2024, 12:53   #106
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Actually, they did invest money in eg. buying ReAction; some other OS components could have also been re-included in the OS if reasonable terms could have been reached with the companies concerned.

Last edited by Minuous; 03 May 2024 at 12:59.
Old 03 May 2024, 13:00   #107
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
Actually, they did invest money in eg. buying ReAction; some other OS components could have also been re-included if reasonable terms could have been reached with the companies concerned.
could have not counts... amiga could have ruled the world if...

Reaction. Yes. What else?

Ben H. has earned a lot more with 3.X updates

Hyperion has access to source codes of 3.1 in opposite to Cloanto. If they have the rights to not only use it for 4.X is part of the legal dispute. But at the moment Hyperion is only option. But appart from that neither Hyperion nor Cloanto is directly investing money in development.
Old 03 May 2024, 13:08   #108
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafSch View Post
Reaction. Yes. What else?
At least it is something. If you want to compare Hyperion against Cloanto, what has Cloanto invested? Practically nothing ever.
Old 03 May 2024, 13:17   #109
OlafSch

Quote:
At least it is something. If you want to compare Hyperion against Cloanto, what has Cloanto invested? Practically nothing ever.
Cloanto has f.e. donated to bounties, in opposite to Hyperion or Ben H.

So you say Hyperion has helped the platform a lot more than Cloanto because of buying the rights to Reaction?

That is not very convincing... finally both are companies and want to make money with it. There is nothing wrong with it to me. But keep that Hyperion are the good and Cloanto are the bad because Hyperion has done so much. That is nonsense.
Old 03 May 2024, 13:20   #110
pixie

Quote:
Being that the ownership of the damn thing (ie Amiga) equals to nothing..
Old 03 May 2024, 13:21   #111
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie View Post
You pay for OS3.2, yet developers doesn't get a penny and yet Cloanto who paid for having the Amiga rights are the grifters? They might as well keep doing their pro bono for Cloanto and still Cloanto would be less of a grifter then someone had paid zilch...

But then again you might help me understand
I'm pretty certain Kriz was being sarcastic describing Cloanto as grifters.
Old 03 May 2024, 13:34   #112
OlafSch

Quote:
As I see it neither Cloanto nor Hyperion will invest money. Mike from Cloanto first talked about open sourcing of 3.1, later tranfering it in a foundation that would control development and earn money with it to finance further development. I can only guess but I assume Cloanto plans, when the lawsuit is won, to earn money with licensing the brand and further selling roms. But Ben H. would also not really invest in further development. Instead he wants to further sell updates that voluntaries offer him for free. A good business model

So I see no bad or good guys here
Old 03 May 2024, 13:56   #113
Thomas Richter

Back in 3.1.4 days at the beginning of 3.2 development, part of the 3.1.4 income was actually reinvested by buying the rights of ClassAct to have the boopsis extended for 3.2, so it's not *quite* as bad. Nowaday the system seems more to be to wast.. invest money into lawsuites. It would be really better if the parties would stop that kind of nonsense, settle, and would have developers do their job.
Old 03 May 2024, 14:00   #114
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
Back in 3.1.4 days at the beginning of 3.2 development, part of the 3.1.4 income was actually reinvested by buying the rights of ClassAct to have the boopsis extended for 3.2, so it's not *quite* as bad. Nowaday the system seems more to be to wast.. invest money into lawsuites. It would be really better if the parties would stop that kind of nonsense, settle, and would have developers do their job.
Yes some kind of agreement would be best. But it not looks like this would happen
Old 03 May 2024, 14:50   #115
daxb

Quote:
But keep that Hyperion are the good and Cloanto are the bad because Hyperion has done so much.
We have "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" but who is the ugly?
Old 03 May 2024, 16:41   #116
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
Maybe another movie title (korean movie) would better suits : " The good, the bad, the weird "
Old 03 May 2024, 17:27   #117
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Gunnar said that on discord. In any case 1000 would mean the market would be much smaller than the AmigaOS or MorphOS platform. That is nonsense
Thank you for the info I also feel like that number might be... er... slightly off, but it is quite hard to tell how big the Amiga hardware market is these days.
Old 03 May 2024, 17:35   #118
pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
Who is the Good? :P
Old 03 May 2024, 21:01   #119
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie View Post
Who is the Good?
1. The customers (for sure )
2. The developers ()
3. Everyone pushing the Amiga forward (with good decisions)
Old 03 May 2024, 23:03   #120
amigakit.com

We have invested 6 years worth of development into System V46, a 68K classic distribution. This is "recycling" the revenue we get from our Amiga store sales into the pockets of developers.

We have AmiBench running on top of it, new datatypes and we are continue to develop new classes and gadgets. It is working well on the A600GS but it can be easily adapted for PiStorm:

Dock. Clock and Calendar have been added in the last two months.