English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 05 June 2024, 23:49   #101
saimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy71 View Post
Of course i can prepare samples without such boost and also sample length to 10 seconds to address your setup specification.
Yes, please: just unfiltered, noise-shaped samples.
Old 06 June 2024, 00:02   #102
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorf View Post
Yes - I linked to it already here in the thread.

I must've missed it.
Old 06 June 2024, 19:31   #103
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimo View Post
Yes, please: just unfiltered, noise-shaped samples.
Hi Saimo, exactly as you requested: https://eab.abime.net/zone/For_Saimo_2.7z
Old 06 June 2024, 23:20   #104
saimo

Quote:
I'll have to redo the tests. Now I just did quick and different one that seems to indicate that things are worse than I reported in my previous post, but I'm too exhausted and I might just be messing things up once again. Tomorrow or in the next days I'll return to it.
As promised, I made some more tests. I went for a (hopefully) more reliable method, though: I modified the 8-bit player (sAQA0) to increase the period in steps of 1 from 37 to 64 every 256 kB played and let it play the test tone with volumes 1, 19, 32, 53 and 64.
I didn't consider smaller periods as I can sample at most at 192 kHz (and period 37 gives a frequency of about 96 kHz, which is already overkill). Also, I used a 1000 Hz sinus tone sampled at 55420 Hz, as it looks like the 13855 Hz square tone was hard for Paula to digest (but I didn't really investigate further).

Well, apart from a few hiccups (especially at the smaller periods), it turns out that Paula does a pretty good job (although not perfect) at regulating the volume (as usual, click the pictures to see them in full size):

samples and pictures download

Finally, I have added volume and filter command line options to the sAQAx players.

P.S. I have removed the files I had previously uploaded as they were cluttering the server and were obsolete anyway.

EDIT: I also fed the modified player the Sony music snippet and it worked very well; I didn't include it here and in the archive as at first I thought that it was more a curiosity than else; but now I regret it

Last edited by saimo; 06 June 2024 at 23:34.
Old 06 June 2024, 23:25   #105
saimo

Quote:
Great, thank you! Tomorrow I'll give them a spin.
Old 07 June 2024, 13:43   #106
saimo

@pandy
Quote:
Tests made.
For practical reasons (i.e. floppies swapping - I have a Gotek, but still...), I have used only the last 7.5 seconds.
For comparison, I also exported the same chunk with Audacity.

Results:
Code:
Audacity = made with Audacity
8/14/16  = 8/14/16-bit
ND       = No Dithering
SD       = Shaped Dithering
sampled  = Amiga 192 kHz sampled output

8-bit:
BeeMoved_2requant_ssstrong64k-sampled: -1.910 dB, clearly audible fine noise
BeeMoved_improved-e-weighted-sampled:  -2.235 dB, audible, but weakest noise
Audacity-8-ND-sampled:                 -0.942 dB, strong rough noise
Audacity-8-SD-sampled:                 -0.928 dB, strong rough noise, comparable to Audacity-8-ND-sampled

14-bit
BeeMoved_2requant-sampled:             -2.364 dB, barely audible noise
Audacity-14-ND-sampled:                -0.913 dB, barely audible noise
Audacity-14-SD-sampled:                -0.935 dB, a bit more audible noise
The provided samples, noise-wise, give better results than Audacity, but suffer from a sizeable dynamic range loss. It turns out that the best-sounding result is the non-dithered non-noise-shaped 16-bit sample produced by Audacity.

samples download

I'm more and more convinced that, in general, the best solution is either 14-bit without noise shaping, using 55420 Hz sampled rate instead of 64489 Hz (thanks to the absence of noise shaping), or AM 8-bit samples at 55420 Hz again.
For the demo I'll stick to the crazy 14-bit 70937.9 Hz, as yesterday's tests showed that Paula handles graciously a volume of 1 at that frequency, but I really think that AM should be explored...

@Karlos
If I understand correctly, you happen to have (since a long time) a ready-made converter that produces AM data - is that so? Is it public or, if not, could you simply convert a file so that I can check the resulting on the A1200, please?
Old 07 June 2024, 19:33   #107
Karlos
Alien Bleed

@saimo

Just this: https://github.com/0xABADCAFE/paula-hdr which just contains simulation of the mechanism (it's also intended to compile on generic linux)

However, @paraj posted an implementation in the thread earlier that does it all, runs on an amiga and includes a reference paula output implementation.
Old 07 June 2024, 21:29   #108
saimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
@saimoJust this: https://github.com/0xABADCAFE/paula-hdr which just contains simulation of the mechanism (it's also intended to compile on generic linux)However, @paraj posted an implementation in the thread earlier that does it all, runs on an amiga and includes a reference paula output implementation.
Cool, I'll have a look. Thanks (and also to paraj, of course).
Old 07 June 2024, 22:04   #109
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Cool, I'll have a look. Thanks (and also to paraj, of course).
I'm planning to use this same technique for a replacement TKG sound engine. Fun times ahead.
Old 07 June 2024, 22:10   #110
saimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraj View Post
Found old quick&dirty test source for that. Assumes 16-bit LE samples.
Thanks for this. I had totally overlooked it.
I just tried it (after compiling it with VBCC) on WinUAE. For some reason the playback is slow (at first I had erroneously used a stereo sample, but then a mono one didn't fix the issue).
Anyway, no worries and no action required - I just dropped these lines for acknowledgement and feedback. I was just hoping to be able to make a quick and meaningful test with AM, but for my player I need a suitable converter, so I'll write one sometime tomorrow or in the next few days.
Old 07 June 2024, 22:14   #111
saimo

Quote:
I'm planning to use this same technique for a replacement TKG sound engine. Fun times ahead.
Guess what? Only now I noticed (consciously, at least) your avatar. That game's baddies and bugs and code and algorithms and mods etc. must be visiting you in your sleep quite often
Old 08 June 2024, 16:17   #112
paraj

Quote:
Thanks for this. I had totally overlooked it.I just tried it (after compiling it with VBCC) on WinUAE. For some reason the playback is slow (at first I had erroneously used a stereo sample, but then a mono one didn't fix the issue).Anyway, no worries and no action required - I just dropped these lines for acknowledgement and feedback. I was just hoping to be able to make a quick and meaningful test with AM, but for my player I need a suitable converter, so I'll write one sometime tomorrow or in the next few days.
That's strange (assuming you used specified the correct period ), since I tested it with WinUAE and real hardware alike. I put exe+test sample in the zone (period = 124).
Old 08 June 2024, 18:21   #113
saimo

Quote:
That's strange (assuming you used specified the correct period ), since I tested it with WinUAE and real hardware alike. I put exe+test sample in the zone (period = 124).
Just tried it: it works with the provided sample and so does the executable compiled from the source. Also, both executables work with a period of 55 with the provided sample. However, they also both fail the same way with this sample here: https://www.retream.com/_temporary/m.wav https://www.retream.com/_temporary/m.raw (mono 16 bit signed LE). It doesn't seem to be a period issue, as the playback duration is correct (7.5 s). Don't know... but, really, nothing to worry about

Last edited by saimo; 10 June 2024 at 23:32. Reason: Fixed broken English.
Old 08 June 2024, 18:29   #114
paraj

Quote:
Just tried it: it works with the provided sample and so does the executable compiled from the source. Also, both executable work with a period of 55 with the provided sample. However, they also both fail the same way with this sample here: https://www.retream.com/_temporary/m.wav https://www.retream.com/_temporary/m.raw (mono 16 bit signed LE). It doesn't seem to be a period issue, as the playback duration is correct (7.5 s). Don't know... but, really, nothing to worry about
A period of 55 is too low when using DMA like my code does
Old 08 June 2024, 18:42   #115
saimo

Quote:
A period of 55 is too low when using DMA like my code does
Ah, alright. I'm so used now to making tests with stupidly small periods that I just typed commands away in the shell without thinking
(Strangely though, with the sample you included the playback does get sped up with 55 - but I didn't time the duration).
Old 08 June 2024, 20:36   #116
Karlos
Alien Bleed

The little endian stuff is just an artefact from prototyping the original code on x64, there's no algorithmic necessity for it.
Old 08 June 2024, 21:59   #117
saimo

Quote:
The little endian stuff is just an artefact from prototyping the original code on x64, there's no algorithmic necessity for it.
I see. Well, that's no problem (even my converters use LE as they take WAV files as input).
Old 10 June 2024, 15:25   #118
saimo

Having improved the converter and having improved the music mix, I'm about to release an updated version of the demo.
Before doing that, though, I made one last test to double check how Paula copes with volume 1 at period 50 (the one used by the demo). What my limited means report is that Paula does indeed a very good job (click for full size):

test tone download

Also, the outcome is quite fine to the ear, so the updated demo is going to be out soon.
Old 10 June 2024, 19:39   #119
saimo

... and now it's released. As anticipated, the music is better now - which is quite relevant for a music-centric demo

CHANGELOG

v1.2 (10.6.2024)
* Improved streamed music: made arpeggio and strumming guitars stronger in the mix; managed to eliminate some more peaks, thus exploiting more the resolution and increasing the overall quality; made an overlapping solo guitar enter from the middle-left and then move to the center gradually; converted data with an updated and more precise custom converter.
* Increased the volume level of the arpeggio guitar in the tracked music.
* Improved a few pixels.
* Extended and fixed manual.

https://www.retream.com/Hertz_Overload / https://retream.itch.io/hertz-overload

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 10 June 2024, 20:03   #120
Karlos
Alien Bleed

That sounds great, but I can only hear it via YT, so I'm not getting the true experience.