English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.OtherUAE

Old 20 September 2010, 19:01   #101
Wicked_Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexusle View Post
Picasso96 still doesn't work:
Please, give me a console output (run puae from console), and try to run "debug" from picasso96 package, and attach screenshot of it's output.

PS. And config!

Last edited by Wicked_Digger; 20 September 2010 at 19:20.
Old 20 September 2010, 19:15   #102
Gwydion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_Digger View Post
just run:

bootstrap.sh
configure
make
Thanks. But as I already mentioned, I compiled it by running ./bronx_.sh a script which contains the above, and some extra options for ./configure.

After this, I made a sudo make install. However, since you don't mention "make install", does that mean that I shouldn't had done it?

What worries me is not the process of the install, but the warnings I already had from "aclocal" and "autoconfig"

Quote:
Editing config and run uae again...
Thanks again, but that means that puae doesn't provide a good interface yet? I thought that's what the merging with WinUAE was all about.

I don't criticize puae, I just try to understand whether what I see is what I am supposed to see, or if I made a blunter.

Last edited by Gwydion; 20 September 2010 at 20:09.

Old 20 September 2010, 19:25   #103
nexusle
Banned

Sorry, my bad! I tried it with 60ec020 and 24 bit addressing on. Now, on 68020 and 32 bit addressing it works. But: Maybe there is a timing problem. the emulation (without JIT and with cpu speed "real") runs to fast. Keyboard inputs generates duplicates and more
Old 20 September 2010, 19:45   #104
Wicked_Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexusle View Post
Sorry, my bad! I tried it with 60ec020 and 24 bit addressing on. Now, on 68020 and 32 bit addressing it works. But: Maybe there is a timing problem. the emulation (without JIT and with cpu speed "real") runs to fast. Keyboard inputs generates duplicates and more
I know about problems with timing, it seems that the UAE has always worked slowly real-time and this problem does not occur. Even WinUAE runs very slowly. Unfortunately I'm not so intimately familiar with the architecture of the Amiga, to solve this problem quickly, but I will try to synchronize the system clock (if there are, of course) with the real.
Old 28 September 2010, 20:32   #105
Delphis

First of all, awesome work for rejuvenating Amiga emulation under Linux. I have a Linux laptop (Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit) that I am trying this on. This laptop is only a Thinkpad T60, Core2Duo 2.1Ghz, but it works nicely for things that I need.

I have started by making some configs for A500, A500+, A1200 and A1200 with hard drive. I have noticed some things:

* Keyboard repeats too fast. Just trying to type the drive name when installing Workbench on the hard drive is pretty much impossible.

* Under Kickstart 1.3, OCS (my A500 config), the hand-holding-disk image is light yellow instead of the familiar blue.

* 68882 is presented as a CPU option, however setting this in a config file leads to immediate crash with 'Illegal instruction' error. I also get this problem when attempting to make an 'A4000' config file. Specifying 68040 also results in illegal instruction error.

* With no kickstart file, uae is stuck in an endless loop of dialog boxes telling me I need a kickstart file.

* Filesystem option in the config file appears to work, but is not recognized as a hard disk for installation purposes.

* floppy_path is not used as a default for the file selector when choosing a floppy disk image

* 'joystick' options for keyboard control do not appear to work. Am I able to change these via the GUI when a game is running and they'll be used? I tried resetting uae and I still was unable to get any controller to be used on port 1

Old 29 September 2010, 08:02   #106
GnoStiC
PUAE maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphis View Post
* Keyboard repeats too fast. Just trying to type the drive name when installing Workbench on the hard drive is pretty much impossible.

* Under Kickstart 1.3, OCS (my A500 config), the hand-holding-disk image is light yellow instead of the familiar blue.

* 68882 is presented as a CPU option, however setting this in a config file leads to immediate crash with 'Illegal instruction' error. I also get this problem when attempting to make an 'A4000' config file. Specifying 68040 also results in illegal instruction error.
these seems to be x64 related, i have to fix them at home on my x64 ubuntu. works fine here on my 32bit ubuntu 10.04

Quote:
* With no kickstart file, uae is stuck in an endless loop of dialog boxes telling me I need a kickstart file.

* floppy_path is not used as a default for the file selector when choosing a floppy disk image
fixed.

Quote:
* Filesystem option in the config file appears to work, but is not recognized as a hard disk for installation purposes.
please elaborate

Quote:
* 'joystick' options for keyboard control do not appear to work. Am I able to change these via the GUI when a game is running and they'll be used? I tried resetting uae and I still was unable to get any controller to be used on port 1
i haven't checked this yet.
Old 29 September 2010, 20:41   #107
Delphis

Well, you can specify a filesystem 'filesystem2' tag in the config file, but within workbench it does not appear to come up with a valid drive name. When I go to install workbench it comes up with 'please insert volume ?'4#?1' or some other set of random characters, either that or it tries to install it to the floppy drive and, of course, fails. Only way I can get workbench installed is to use a hardfile. Maybe that's intended since I don't know if I can 'boot' from a filesystem2 link like I can a hardfile, but I was giving it a try.

Old 29 September 2010, 22:59   #108
Delphis

Unimplemented kickstart function and gtk errors

I checked out (cvs parlance.. lol) the latest version (git pull) of the code just now, compiled it and I get this when running without a kickstart file, just to see if it is different.

Code:
hardreset, memory cleared
initializing kickstart replacement

(UAE:11131): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid cast from `GtkFrame' to `GtkBox'

(UAE:11131): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_box_pack: assertion `GTK_IS_BOX (box)' failed

(UAE:11131): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid cast from `GtkFrame' to `GtkBox'

(UAE:11131): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_box_pack: assertion `GTK_IS_BOX (box)' failed
You need to have a diskfile in DF0 to use the Kickstart replacement!
Unimplemented Kickstart function called
P96FREQ: 312*50 = 15600 / 50 = 312
PAL mode V=50Hz H=15600Hz (227x312)
DMACON: 4000 INTENA: 0000 (0000) INTREQ: 0020 (0020) VPOS: 0 HPOS: 0
COP1LC: 00000000, COP2LC: 00000000 COPPTR: 00000000
DIWSTRT: 0000 DIWSTOP: 0000 DDFSTRT: 0000 DDFSTOP: 0000
BPLCON 0: 0000 1: 0000 2: 0000 3: 0c00 4: 0011 LOF=0/0 HDIW=0 VDIW=0
Just wanted to pass that on. Again, it's Ubuntu x64, 10.04. I was seeing the GTK errors before, but they appeared not to be fatal.

Old 30 September 2010, 05:28   #109
EricG

Tried compiling the latest version in github but end up with this..

Any tricks? .. perhaps someone can be kind enough to post a precompiled mac binary to the zone, would love to check out this program but can't seem to either find a working binary or get this one compiled myself, the one currently out in the zone doesn't seem to work, just hangs on startup.. Thanks!

Quote:
xwin.c: In function ‘gfx_parse_option’:
xwin.c:1804: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘cfgfile_yesno’ from incompatible pointer type
xwin.c:1805: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘cfgfile_yesno’ from incompatible pointer type
xwin.c:1806: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘cfgfile_yesno’ from incompatible pointer type
xwin.c:1807: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘cfgfile_yesno’ from incompatible pointer type
xwin.c: At top level:
xwin.c:1811: warning: no previous prototype for ‘gfx_default_options’
make[3]: *** [xwin.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
Old 01 October 2010, 23:36   #110
Foul

Send a message via ICQ to Foul Send a message via MSN to Foul
how to put Audio filter on "A1200 (Power led)" in .uaerc plz ?

Why when i put cpu_type=68020 or anything else in .uaerc, it show always 68000 only in the GUI ?

Last edited by Foul; 02 October 2010 at 10:32.
Old 03 October 2010, 05:55   #111
slaapliedje

Quote:
New version of PUAE with Qt frontend in the Zone.

+ picasso96 support
+ keyboard (only eng.)
+ mouse (input) grab
Any chance for the source? Or is it submitted to the github?

Reason I ask is that if you are using the Nokia Qt SDK to build it, it wouldn't be a far jump to have it compiled for the Nokia N900 (running Maemo 5). The version of 'e-uae' on it right now is an earlier version of puae, I believe (shows up as 1.6.10) and doesn't run anything that I've tested it with.

I'd really like to get a full on Qt port of it working with all platforms supported (which would mean Linux, MacOS, Windows, Maemo 5 / MeeGo and Symbian.)

The Nokia Qt SDK has an option to just push a button and it'll compile it for Maemo 5 and / or Symbian.

I thank all for the hard work on getting UAE up to date for the *nix platforms. Go figure that's where it started, but then development had fizzled for so many years...

slaapliedje
Old 03 October 2010, 12:19   #112
Wicked_Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
Any chance for the source? Or is it submitted to the github?
I make a fork from GnoStiC/PUAE and upload my sources.
At this moment it's not ready for completely merge with original PUAE, but I work on it.
http://github.com/wdigger/PUAE

Problems:
  • config damaged and don't produce builds with SDL gfx and gui
  • options.h damaged, it seems that Qt part don't have some defines (problem in config?)
  • main.c and some other files changed for workarounds
Old 03 October 2010, 12:50   #113
Wicked_Digger

New version of PUAE with Qt frontend in the Zone.

+ pause (debug mode in fact)
+ debugger window
+ diassembly
+ registers
+ tasks

First of all I'm interested in powerfull debugger for UAE.
I do not have enough time to extend the functionality of the main window, only the main missing features (I'm waiting for your suggestions).
Old 03 October 2010, 16:04   #114
Foul

Send a message via ICQ to Foul Send a message via MSN to Foul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foul View Post

Why when i put cpu_type=68020 or anything else in .uaerc, it show always 68000 only in the GUI ?
Anyone ?
Old 03 October 2010, 17:42   #115
slaapliedje

Quote:

Quote:
Anyone ?
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's because the GUI is currently broken beyond belief. Gnostic is working hard on the back end of everything, Wicked Digger is working on porting the GUI to Qt. Both of these efforts are awesome and will (hopefully) soon make all us non-programmers very happy.

Reading through the posts, the GUI is no where near where the back end is currently. Dialog options are missing, etc.

As a side note, is the Qt GUI going to look more like the current GTK+ GUI or is it going to resemble the WinUAE GUI?

slaapliedje
Old 03 October 2010, 18:22   #116
Wicked_Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
As a side note, is the Qt GUI going to look more like the current GTK+ GUI or is it going to resemble the WinUAE GUI?
I've never seen GTK GUI

WinUAE GUI is a piece of **** that is not worth discussing. Discard the cross-platform and try to do GUI on the native API (eg instead of MFC) is a really enchanting folly ...

I would rather an interface like VMWare player, but you can add advanced mode, with fine-tuning, etc.
Old 03 October 2010, 21:23   #117
slaapliedje

I didn't want to say anything, but I whole-heartedly agree. Then again most of the UI for Windows apps look crap.

Something like VMWare would be cool, just instead of selecting operating systems, you'd select Amiga Model types. Then the Advanced mode would let you tweak the individual CPU, Memory, etc.

I really like that idea. WinUAE seems to be set up by a KDE fan So many options everywhere, it mostly confuses people.

Then again, UAE does have so many options available, it really is hard to make a good UI for it. I wish you all the luck, and I'll be sure to do lots of testing.

The GTK UI mostly just has tabs for Floppy disks / Memory / CPU / Chipset / Sound / Game ports / Hard disks / About.

Then at the top has the start / stop / pause / reset / quit buttons.

Really very basic, but usable. Lots of things missing though.

slaapliedje
Old 03 October 2010, 22:02   #118
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Try sometimes doing both great GUI and keep updating and improving emulation core. Completely alone without no outside help. (and I HATE GUI CODING which actually means GUI is surprisingly good..)
Old 03 October 2010, 22:26   #119
chiark
Needs a life

Quote:
I've never seen GTK GUI

WinUAE GUI is a piece of **** that is not worth discussing.
That's just downright insulting, and isn't constructive in any way. WinUAE GUI does the job, unlike any other UAE interface...

Serious suggestion: design a GUI, irrespective of toolkit. Make it scenario based and follow the best UI practices. Once we've got agreement on what that should look and feel like, then we can talk about implementation... I'm sure Toni would love someone to look after the GUI!
Old 03 October 2010, 22:53   #120
waal

I wish one day PUAE GUI will contain as many features Winuae currently have. These statements are definitely unfair, at least Winuae has a quickstart panel and supports archived disks !