English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 02 July 2015, 04:13   #101
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
Oh, and another thing: Why two CF slots?
Because one is internal and the other one is needed for file transfer, since he has removed the PCMCIA port.

PC case sounds really ridiculous though, it stops being a classic Amiga if it looks like any off market PC.
Old 02 July 2015, 06:51   #102
vagrant

Very interesting..
Will the "special version" of the AGA MK2 support 50hz this time?

I originally purchase the MK2 only to have it collect dust on a shelf because it lacked 50hz support
Old 02 July 2015, 07:03   #103
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Because one is internal and the other one is needed for file transfer, since he has removed the PCMCIA port.

PC case sounds really ridiculous though, it stops being a classic Amiga if it looks like any off market PC.
IDE is way more flexible interface than CF (lets you use with very cheap and widely available adapters: SSD, SATA HDD, CDROM, DVDROM, CF, SDCARD, TFCARD, etc) and cheaper to manufacture (and if you want CF you can fit a $2 adapter from ebay or buy the one that Jens manufactures).

A PC case is not ridiculous, after all the A4000T was a PC case, and you cant argue that it wasnt an Amiga. PC cases are abundant, Amiga wedge cases are scarce, always used (you cannot buy a new one) and not in the best shape, since they are more than two decades old yellowed plastic suff.
Old 02 July 2015, 07:36   #104
snoopy77

Very excited to hear about this new board. I'm got an A500 (the first computer I ever bought - 1990) that isn't working at the moment, so looking forward to rekindling that!
Old 02 July 2015, 08:56   #105
kamelito
Zone Friend

I don't think that there's a lot of A1200/A500 case and keyboard available this mean that people will start to butcher their working Amigas. Any plan for cheap one would be nice.
Having an NMi and memory to fit an Action Replay would be nice too.
Kamelito
Old 02 July 2015, 09:03   #106
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
I don't think that there's a lot of A1200/A500 case and keyboard available this mean that people will start to butcher their working Amigas. Any plan for cheap one would be nice.
Having an NMi and memory to fit an Action Replay would be nice too.
Kamelito

I will buy those redundant original mobos, then
Old 02 July 2015, 11:15   #107
roy bates

@jens

can we have an IDE header,its more useful than a cf port if people want a cf they can add it the way they do now.

people who want reall drives wont have the option otherwise.
Old 02 July 2015, 16:26   #108
alenppc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
I think it is not necessary as all the old software is written for up to 2MB chip mem and there is not any new software that would benefit from bigger chip memory. Also possible backward compatibility issues.
Not true, you have 8 MB of emulated chip ram on Draco AND WinUAE and the software will use it seamlessly providing there is a way to emulate the blitter.

It won't make any difference for games obviosuly. But they would work the same way they did before, by ignoring the page mode altogether.

Another possible improvement: onboard PS/2 mouse interface on top of the Amiga mouse interface. I am not sure how the mouse port is wired inside the existing models but a simple PIC does a good job of converting the protocol. This might even be offered as an optional add-on.
Old 02 July 2015, 20:35   #109
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Yes, better mouse port would be really appreciated!
Old 02 July 2015, 21:12   #110
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

would prefer a USB port for mouse even if it only supports the PS/2 protocol since most new mice only come with a USB plug on and a PS/2 adapter.
Old 02 July 2015, 22:57   #111
kamelito
Zone Friend

HW wise the so called classic seems pretty healthy. The problem is the OS it hasn't really been developed for 68k since the demise of CBM. Alternatives are use AROS and improve it, licence the AmigaOS 3.1 and develop it further or do what Zeta has done with BeOS.
Kamelito

PS do nothing is also an option.
Old 03 July 2015, 00:17   #112
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Speaking of that, I think would be a golden opportunity to pre-mix the Paula channels for the excellent 3.5mm output (like WinUAE default) - everything will sound better and it would be a true problem-solver for musicians, and there are lots of them. It's an absolute drag to get the equipment to do it outside the Amiga, but inside only a couple op-amps are necessary.
But inside there are a couple of op-amps anyway, all you need to do in theory is wire the two outputs together (it is four LF347s in a single TL084 IC according to the schematics). You could just make a little adapter with a couple of resistors, i believe this should be safe.
Old 03 July 2015, 00:19   #113
eXeler0

In short: for a new Amiga mobo to make sense, it should focus on solving problems ppl have with the current (old) mobos. As I stated before, I really do believe there are far more working A1200 mobos out there than still active 68k Amiga users. Also, I have an Apollo 060 card. If my current mobo fails, the reloaded wont be the solution anyway.

However, one obvious problem is the obsolete stuff on the mobos that no one is using anymore and lack of modern ports that improve on the obsolete things.
So yes, USB snd PS/2 ports would definitely make sense as would an ethernet device (cable or wireless) +keeping the IDE interface (buffered from the beginning) instead of a cf only "port".
Lack of the first 3 is an actual problem users have today as they try to transfer files between Amigas and modern platforms.

I do understand the design choices Jens has made, but Im getting the feeling a majority does not agree with them?

Jens Im not sure if this is how you roll, but maybe a poll.. top 3 things you'd change on the proposed Amiga reloaded mobo and listen to what ppl have to say?
Old 03 July 2015, 12:43   #114
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
but maybe a poll.. top 3 things you'd change on the proposed Amiga reloaded mobo and listen to what ppl have to say?
And then you get:
1. Built-in 060 CPU @ 100MHz
2. 6 SATA III ports
3. Native HDMI 4K enabled video output

Because Amigans are realistic like that
Old 03 July 2015, 12:53   #115
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

You forgot WLan & USB.
Old 03 July 2015, 13:28   #116
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Aga View Post
And then you get:
1. Built-in 060 CPU @ 100MHz
2. 6 SATA III ports
3. Native HDMI 4K enabled video output

Because Amigans are realistic like that
What? SATA? Are we talking about an old computer of some sort here?
Obviously it needs to have M.2 slots for the fastest SSDs out there!
Old 03 July 2015, 14:10   #117
spudje

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
You forgot WLan & USB.
You mean WLAN 802.11ac and USB 3.0 obviously :P
Old 03 July 2015, 21:33   #118
eXeler0

Ok...
Lets try this again.. :-)
Jens lists 10 features and ppl can cast votes - between 1 and 10 points on the respective features (where 1 point = sucks, dont want and 10 points = fantastic, I want this now).
Now...hows that gonna be trolled? ;-)
Old 04 July 2015, 00:50   #119
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

personally i think it should either be a drop-in replacement for an existing Amiga motherboard, supporting all the same connectivity (except perhaps a new PSU connection)... fast Chip RAM, great... no on-board CPU, well ok as long as you can get a plain 68EC020 card for it... but if it doesn't even do everything an Amiga can do more-or-less out of the box i must have missed the point of it.

if the point is a super-expandable barebones Amiga i don't know why not go for some PC form factor.
Old 04 July 2015, 10:43   #120
IanP

The original wedges hold a lot of affection for many users. Looking at it you instantly know it's a true Amiga and not some anonymous PC.