English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 11 November 2014, 09:55   #101
Ian
Global Moderator

And you know this from seeing an intro with no actual gameplay?

Sounds like someone is making assumptions based on no actual evidence.
Old 24 November 2014, 11:01   #102
amiga_Forever
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

no no no... I like the 3D stuff, and i guess every game must go through a different perspective and, but i prefer the original Amiga version any day to this super PS4 version..

Although the 3D is cool,
Old 01 December 2014, 12:56   #103
Strider

Is this still being made? Seems to have gone incredibly quiet lately...
Old 01 December 2014, 13:03   #104
Rob 1
The Original Domainiac

I give up!!

I've finally just brought a PS3, so I'm not buying a PS4 for a long time.
Old 01 December 2014, 19:29   #105
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Whoever they are at Heavy Spectrum Entertainment Labs I will have worked alongside them at Argonaut judging by the titles they say they have worked on (Star Fox / Harry Potter).

I will put out any feelers see who they are.
Old 03 January 2015, 06:06   #106
amuleth

Some concept art has been released:
http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/12/...-of-the-beast/

A video about the game's progress (starts around 27:00)
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by amuleth; 03 January 2015 at 06:24.
Old 03 January 2015, 09:21   #107
s2325
Zone Friend

I think it's more like http://hol.abime.net/5203/screenshot
Old 03 January 2015, 13:14   #108
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

I`m a little worried this game could end up being just another 3rd person killathon like God Of War, hope I`m proven wrong. There's something so special about the tone and atmosphere of the original games, really hope they manage to retain it.
Old 03 January 2015, 13:24   #109
wanderer
I want an A1000

The enthusiasm shown but that developer guy in the video is a bit misguided... too much Playstation, too little SOTB. The concept art isn't that exciting, either. Hope they pull it off though.
Old 03 January 2015, 13:55   #110
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

They've fundamentally got it wrong.

They've got the main character grunting like a mindless idiot, its as if they think that is the Beast of the title of the game! I mean, look, the character can produce shadows from the ground......BUT HE IS NOT THE BEAST FFS!!!!

I love that Shadow of the Beast, one of the Amigas premiere titles back in the day is getting a remake, but its apparent to me, that everything that made Beast.... Beast, is being thrown out to the extent they might as well have just made their own game.

Theres vague hints of Whittakers theme, but seriously, was the music that bad that we couldn't simply have heard an update of it?

The video is all wrong, if they'd started off with the intro theme to Amiga Beast, and then expanded it into a modern interpretation of it, that would have been far more interesting.

People love nostalgia, especially nostalgia that still sounds good today.

For a lot of the guys in that hall, I would say over 50% would have been aware of Amiga Beast and THAT opening tune, and I guarantee hairs would have stood on end when it started.

Who commissions this crap?

And I still haven't had my call from Sony/Heavy Spectrum for the Amiga version to be included in the PS4 version as a secret yet
Old 03 January 2015, 14:06   #111
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

I wouldn't expect a call anytime soon. Maybe it hasn't occured to them. Maybe get in touch like you did with System3 as it would definitely be a nice feature to have. PRobavly a lot of work though converting the Amiga code to OpenGL/C++?
Old 03 January 2015, 14:27   #112
wanderer
I want an A1000

I think the console/Sony/PS4 gaming world is way too distant to the Amiga for us to expect any kind of significant linkage to the original Shadow Of The Beast - which is foolish of them since they decided to keep the exact same title.
Old 03 January 2015, 17:07   #113
jamielemon
Zone Friend

You have to remember that they aren't catering for the nostalgia market at all with this - this is a mainstream release which they want to sell to people who weren't even Alive when the Amiga died. Beast had a great aesthetic and they realise there is still value in it - but that's all this game is going to have, of the Beast of old.

The good news is - that the aesthetic was the only thing that Beast ever had of any value. No one in their right mind would want a return to that heavily-limited gameplay - incredibly rudimentary combat mechanic, mindless, infinite-spawning enemies etc. Even the worst of today's modern games are more sophisticated and rewarding.

Also did anyone else notice how the Beast games started off relatively well designed towards the beginning of the game, and deteriorated into mindless button-mashing towards the end? Not sure about Beast 3 (I think in general it was a better structured game) but 1 + 2 ,at the start were interesting atmospheric environments with clever(ish) puzzles. But the second half of both games is basically running in a straight line hitting things. My theory is that they didn't expect anyone to get into the second half of the games without cheating, so didn't put nearly as much care into designing them.

So , sorry for the longish post, I guess the summary is that we shouldn't be too upset that this has little in common with the original games.
Old 03 January 2015, 17:18   #114
s2325
Zone Friend

I hope there will be long tutorial how to punch.
Old 03 January 2015, 23:25   #115
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

Lets say it's not a remake it's a restart. I don't expect it to be close to the old one.
It's the same with new the Spiderman movies. I mean, why? Three movies are not enough?
Marvel has so much more to offer as the classic game library has for remakes.
But who knows, maybe it's a good game.And if they sell enough copies they might even think about other classic remakes.I could think of a few right now.
Old 04 January 2015, 02:53   #116
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I wouldn't expect a call anytime soon. Maybe it hasn't occured to them. Maybe get in touch like you did with System3 as it would definitely be a nice feature to have. PRobavly a lot of work though converting the Amiga code to OpenGL/C++?
Why do it that way? They can use any of the versions of an Amiga EMU, incorporate it into the game, but custom setup so theres no use ripping the emu from the game, and that any version I do removes all disk loading pauses, and makes it a seamless experience, because I doubt modern audiences would tolerate waiting for stuff to load then depack

Thats the quickest and easiest way to guarantee that Amiga Beast is 100% replicated, doing it by starting all over again without the code and assets sounds like no fun at all, although, having said that, the original Beast code and assets from the Amiga is probably more spread than any other game code simply because of the amount of versions that sprung up afterwards.
Old 15 April 2015, 11:14   #117
TheFoxSoft
KO2 world champion

I found few in game screens on Twitter! To be honest I am really excited about a new game with THE beast

Old 15 April 2015, 14:17   #118
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

The guy playing it doesn't look too entertained
Old 15 April 2015, 14:19   #119
s2325
Zone Friend

sandbox
Old 16 April 2015, 01:24   #120
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
The guy playing it doesn't look too entertained
I would say it doesn't look smart enough to appreciate the game .