English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 31 March 2020, 17:28   #101
th4t1guy

I can confirm that Asus VZ249HE works with 15khz modes through VGA using standard Commodore RGB->VGA adapters.
Both NTSC and PAL look great, but interlace flickers badly. Also, image will be slightly stretched for widescreen and theres no option to set aspect ratio.
Old 18 May 2020, 14:59   #102
ube

Quote:
Originally Posted by appiah4 View Post
Github is a much better way to deal with it and I do not have much time to actually browse the forum as a working dad anymore, apologies for not being too active Please give me a link to the git and I will remove the information in the first post and link to your github.
Sure.

https://15khz.net/ <- the list presented from github readme.

https://github.com/planeturban/15khz <- repo

Edit: My end-game is some kind of android and ios app where one can scan the barcode of the monitor to get its 15khz status. Just to remove the need of everyone having their own 15khz-tester.

Last edited by ube; 18 May 2020 at 15:08.
Old 01 June 2020, 22:57   #103
jotd
This cat is no more

you can add the Acer K242HYL to the list (it's not there but I got the info from EAB anyway). It's LCD and takes 15KHz VGA input from A1200 or CD32 with riser
Old 14 June 2020, 11:02   #104
ube

Added at 15KHz.net
Old 24 July 2020, 12:13   #105
Nrg

Good job with 15khz.net! How about adding a column about (Amiga) interlaced modes handling?
Old 25 July 2020, 00:23   #106
ube

That's the beauty of repos.. Just fork, add and create a pull request..
Old 13 August 2020, 13:29   #107
rabidgerry

Anyone ever try NEC ea241wm? I read it is supposed to accept 15khz. Just wondering if anyone has tried and what kind of results.
Old 15 August 2020, 10:32   #108
Mikerochip

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
Anyone ever try NEC ea241wm? I read it is supposed to accept 15khz. Just wondering if anyone has tried and what kind of results.

Yup, works fine with Amiga and Atari ST, at 50 and 60Hz.

You can either show an unscaled proper ratio image in the middle of the screen, or, if not it shows the complete image stretched to 16:10.
There's no option to set the aspect ratio.
Otherwise it's great.
Old 18 August 2020, 13:29   #109
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerochip View Post

You can either show an unscaled proper ratio image in the middle of the screen, or, if not it shows the complete image stretched to 16:10.
Otherwise it's great.

Thanks Mikerochip

I wish I had waited for your reply. I ended up getting a Samsung SyncMaster 913N 19" because I saw it on the list https://15khz.net/

But I have also read it doesn't work with Amiga according to this list

http://www.retropix.com.br/lista-de-...aceitam-15khz/

So now I dunno
Old 23 August 2020, 14:10   #110
rabidgerry

So this monitor should be removed from the list Samsung SyncMaster 913N 19"

It does not work when I connect Amiga to it. I was using a commodore RGB to VGA adapter. Gutted. I will have to sell the monitor on now.
Old 24 August 2020, 17:05   #111
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

I can't write this often enough. Leave PC monitors be. Go for 4:3 LCD TVs (800x600 or 1024x768). They are cheap as dirt, guarantee PAL support and have Amiga-friendly ports.
Old 24 August 2020, 17:24   #112
lilwshu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Aga View Post
I can't write this often enough. Leave PC monitors be. Go for 4:3 LCD TVs (800x600 or 1024x768). They are cheap as dirt, guarantee PAL support and have Amiga-friendly ports.
I have had very little success with LCD TVs - the picture quality is generally awful on the 4:3 ones as they are now ancient, and all the ones I have tried have had significant lag.

I would however welcome any suggestions for something that works well!
Old 24 August 2020, 23:13   #113
psoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwshu View Post
I have had very little success with LCD TVs - the picture quality is generally awful on the 4:3 ones as they are now ancient, and all the ones I have tried have had significant lag.

Add to this the fact that outside of Europe.... they *don't* have Amiga friendly ports. SCART wasn't a standard adopted in Australia - LCD TVs here typically have Composite and S-Video (if you're lucky). You will find the odd unit with SCART - but it's very much an exception rather than a rule.
Old 24 August 2020, 23:46   #114
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by psoma View Post
Add to this the fact that outside of Europe.... they *don't* have Amiga friendly ports.
The RetroTink 2x SCART looks like a decent solution to all this hassle - then you can add RGB SCART to any HDMI display. Not as expensive as the OSSC and much easier to use.
Old 25 August 2020, 09:06   #115
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwshu View Post

You probably tangoed with older/crappier 640x480 panel TVs. I would imagine those are not very good. They can't even cover the full PAL resolution (they will display the image, but it will be yucky). And most smaller screens are like that.

20 and 21 inchers, on the other hand, are more modern, and can be found with 800x600 and even 1024x768 panels (although there are still cheap 640x480 ones, so everybody be careful and check the specs before buying).

Quote:
Originally Posted by psoma View Post
Add to this the fact that outside of Europe.... they *don't* have Amiga friendly ports. SCART wasn't a standard adopted in Australia - LCD TVs here typically have Composite and S-Video (if you're lucky). You will find the odd unit with SCART - but it's very much an exception rather than a rule.
Yes, that is unfortunate But S-Video isn't all that bad. A buddy of mine even says that he prefers S-Video to SCART because SCART is too sharp And S-Video adds just the right amount of fuzziness. Anyway these pics were taken of the S-Video display. Judge for yourself.

Don't forget to click "Load full resolution".

Last edited by Lord Aga; 25 August 2020 at 09:27.
Old 25 August 2020, 09:09   #116
lilwshu

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
The RetroTink 2x SCART looks like a decent solution to all this hassle - then you can add RGB SCART to any HDMI display. Not as expensive as the OSSC and much easier to use.
I’ve got one of these - it’s fixed resolution so you are at the mercy of the scaler in the display in terms of image quality. I have found so far that TVs give a better image at the expense of lag, and that modern 4:3 PC monitors have no lag but are business focused so non-native resolutions look awful.

I haven’t tried one of the modern fancy “gaming monitors” yet.
Old 25 August 2020, 15:12   #117
rabidgerry

Which one of these lists is the right one?

Is this?

As mentioned before it lead me to believe Samsung SyncMaster 913N 19" was ok for Amiga but it appears it is not so who ever is looking after the list should strike it off.

Unless I am doing something wrong?

****edit**** the monitor does work using a GBS8220 but there is a lot of noise for some reason.

Last edited by rabidgerry; 27 August 2020 at 10:20.
Old 27 August 2020, 10:24   #118
rabidgerry

Quote:

Otherwise it's great.
@Mikerochip

What is the lag like with the NEC?

Also what option on monitor allows you to shift between 4:3 and 16:10?

I still might get one of these monitors.
Old 27 August 2020, 10:31   #119
Mikerochip

There's no real lag. It's the same as plugging a PC into it.

As I already said, there's no option on the monitor to allow you to shift between 4:3 and 16:10

You can display it in a tiny 4:3 screen, or stretched to 16:10. There's no other scaling options.

Also, unless you do a few hardware mods on the GBS8200, the display isn't great, with every monitor.
Old 27 August 2020, 11:35   #120
rabidgerry

Quote:
There's no real lag. It's the same as plugging a PC into it.

As I already said, there's no option on the monitor to allow you to shift between 4:3 and 16:10

You can display it in a tiny 4:3 screen, or stretched to 16:10. There's no other scaling options.

Also, unless you do a few hardware mods on the GBS8200, the display isn't great, with every monitor.
I'm confused.

If there is no option to allow you to shift between 4:3 and 16:10 then how are you able to
Quote:
Do you mean do this via the Amiga?

Well I have the GBS8220 modified using GBS control firmware which is lag-less apparently. But the whole point if my interest is so I don't have to use the GBS with this monitor. I only mentioned it because the monitor I tried which is on the list of working with Amiga does not, but it does work using the GBS as you would expect.