English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 13 December 2008, 19:03   #101
Nostalgeek
OT Whore

Quote:
we are talking about the theft (because that is exactly what it is in the eyes of the law)
That's not the case in Switzerland, and I don't think we can consider ourselves a 3rd world country We're talking about luckily being the winner of equipment you didn't order in the first place.

Again, that's a decision mainly based on personal feelings about it.
Old 13 December 2008, 19:11   #102
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

bippym however lives in the UK like myself.

unfortunately, bippy('s girlfriend) has broken the law by signing for (and therefore claiming ownership of) an item which is someone elses. However, this isnt their fault due to the sender double-labelling the item, but legally, the item is not his to claim.
Old 13 December 2008, 19:29   #103
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
bippym however lives in the UK like myself.

unfortunately, bippy('s girlfriend) has broken the law by signing for (and therefore claiming ownership of) an item which is someone elses. However, this isnt their fault due to the sender double-labelling the item, but legally, the item is not his to claim.
Don't talk bollocks Horace!

Bippys girlfriend has commited NO offence whatsoever.

Bippy commits an offence if he continues to keep in his possession something that he knows is not his to own, would be judged as theft. Would only be considered fraud if he ordered it himself.

Technically its theft pure and simple, if I was in Bippys position........ i'd probably keep hold of it, they probably wouldn't even be able to figure out where it went, person who originally ordered it would complain they hadn't received, shop would despatch another, and claim on the insurance of the delivery company.
Old 13 December 2008, 19:55   #104
AmigaFriend

Well it depends on the system used on the delivery company. Here in Portugal I used many times an orange labeled company and they keep track of misdeliveries. I used to send many items to Angola and I can say that the service works, even in Africa!

As bippy's girlfriend signed for another two deliveries to bippy's address they could track down the third one by comparing the signatures. If the company uses barcode readers embedded with gps receivers, it is also on the log provided by the machine and they can backtrack to the address.

Tipically in a maximum of three working days all is resolved, but has you stated 6 days have passed I would recomend to wait and see it seems the delivery boy was not so geared up!
Old 13 December 2008, 19:58   #105
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Bippys girlfriend has commited NO offence whatsoever.

Bippy commits an offence if he continues to keep in his possession something that he knows is not his to own, would be judged as theft.
i'm not 'talking bollocks' Galahad. I have to deal with handling sensitive post on a near-daily basis for work.

in this case, where the packaging is mislabelled you may be correct, but i it is an offence to sign and receive such items if they are not for you or you do not represent the person they are intended for.

in any case, the resultant 'offence' would be very minor, since we're not talking about legal documents or anything, but nonetheless holding onto the items knowing that you do not own them would be the potential stinger.

Last edited by Hungry Horace; 13 December 2008 at 20:04.
Old 13 December 2008, 20:04   #106
AmigaFriend

Quote:
in this case, where the packaging is mislabelled you may be correct, but i believe it is an offence to sign for such items if they are not for you.

in any case, the resultant 'offence' would be very minor.
It's not an offense to sign for a parcel that is not for you! The courts would be filled up with thousands of new trials because of this! it's an offense to keep an item after it has been asked to be returned by the original owner.
As it seems it is not the case so far...
Old 13 December 2008, 20:09   #107
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

must just be for legal docs then, or in business, cos i've been heavily warned about this with receipt of certain items for work! (there are certain ones which arrive which i am not allowed to sign for myself - weird, but true)

maybe it is dependent on the 'type' of signing it requires / depends on how it has been sent

as i say, i know with normal mail it can be 'not for you' if you represent the person it IS for anyway, but i think we are all agreed you arent allowed/meant to 'hold it on their behalf' indefinately!

edit: looks like it the opening of said-item that's more the problem:

Quote:
The Post Office Act 1953 prohibits the opening of 'any postal packet' which ought to have been delivered to another person.
but where does the post office Act 1953 stand on double-labelling?!

Last edited by Hungry Horace; 13 December 2008 at 20:25.
Old 13 December 2008, 20:27   #108
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
My decision would be driven by whether the company is a large multi national or a small outfit.
Old 13 December 2008, 20:52   #109
BippyM
Global Moderator

Right this has gone a bit off-topic and I think I should clear up a few things..

1. My girlfriend signed for something I ordered. She did not (and still does not) know what was delivered as she went out to work before I saw her. I also don't always tell her what I have ordered. SHE HAS NOT BROKEN ANY LAWS!

2. The parcel was delivered accidentally along with my parcel. It has exactly the same barcode and that as my other parcels, so tracking would be very difficult, and even if they were to track it they'd have a hard time proving I received it!

3. I rang the shop earlier and explained the mistake. They were very appreciative and will be sending a courier to collect it Tuesday.

I simply am not a thief (except the odd bit of piracy) and my morals got the better of me

@DDNI they are one of the biggest UK pc component distributors.
Old 13 December 2008, 21:01   #110
DDNI
Targ Explorer

You did the right thing Bippy.

I remember getting two motorolla surfboard cable modems delivered by NTL in error.
I phoned them and reported it. Two years passed before I sold them on ebay...
Old 13 December 2008, 21:06   #111
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleauvive View Post
I stopped using my Amiga by the early 90s, since I wasn't too enthusiastic with the "buy extra Amiga hardware to keep us afloat" campaign. I also had a lovely reason to do so (a French brunette, can you argue ?).

I know some people still consider the switchers responsible for Amiga Inc. demise to some extend, but I was using my computer exclusively to play games and really good ones were starting to become more and more scarce, plus I was perfectly aware PCs were not as good by the time.

The terrible "vaporware" concept with developers pretending they were still involved, was the nail in Amiga's coffin, inmho, but that's another story.

Also, I was a bit pedantic , the elite being a kind of social class by that time. Gee, I should confess I am glad to have given up all that sh*t, even with the two years hiatus, which had me put my geekness to sleep !

...Might that tiny contribution of mine with hints, repacks, advice, tutorials (a big word, but still...), P2p shares, linux tryouts... redeem my Boing Ball related sins, at least partly
and what happened with the French Brunette? Upload some photos of her as she is now into the hardware section if you're still with her!

Last edited by Paul_s; 13 December 2008 at 21:18.
Old 13 December 2008, 21:14   #112
Dimlow
Likes to be thought of as

Send a message via MSN to Dimlow Send a message via Yahoo to Dimlow
Nice one bippym, you did the right thing, now instead of having that guilty feeling inside, you should have a nice warm healthy feeling.

Be proud!
Old 13 December 2008, 22:10   #113
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
and what happened with the French Brunette? Upload some photos of her as she is now into the hardware section if you're still with her!
We had our ups and downs like many couples, I write about her in my soon-to-be published essay. Of course, she tried to distract me from being a computer freak more than once, but it was not the only reason of our breakup.

I put a recent pic of her onto my gallery here, but she looked nicer in the 90s (wow, she wouldn't like to be reading this ).

Last edited by NewDeli; 13 December 2008 at 22:22.
Old 13 December 2008, 22:14   #114
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
i'm not 'talking bollocks' Galahad. I have to deal with handling sensitive post on a near-daily basis for work.

in this case, where the packaging is mislabelled you may be correct, but i it is an offence to sign and receive such items if they are not for you or you do not represent the person they are intended for.

in any case, the resultant 'offence' would be very minor, since we're not talking about legal documents or anything, but nonetheless holding onto the items knowing that you do not own them would be the potential stinger.
I'll give you a big hint here: One of us was an ex-Police officer, and it wasn't you. Shes committed no offence... PERIOD!
Old 13 December 2008, 22:24   #115
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleauvive View Post
We had our ups and downs like many couples, I write about her in my soon-to-be published essay. Of course, she tried to distract me from being a computer freak more than once, but it was not the only reason of our breakup.

I put a recent pic of her onto my gallery here, but she looked nicer in the 90s (wow, she wouldn't like to be reading this ).
If she read that last sentence you'd get a french stick (extra crusty) over the head
Old 13 December 2008, 22:28   #116
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
I'll give you a big hint here: One of us was an ex-Police officer, and it wasn't you. Shes committed no offence... PERIOD!
this explains a great many things.

i stand 'corrected'.
Old 13 December 2008, 22:30   #117
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Quote:

Galahad, "was an ex police officer" infers that you are no longer an ex police officer....
Old 13 December 2008, 22:32   #118
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

actually DDNI, if we want to drag further off-topic with a discussion on english language, he implies... you infer
Old 13 December 2008, 22:32   #119
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
Galahad, "was an ex police officer" infers that you are no longer an ex police officer....
Quit a long time ago, Political Correctness gone mental, couldn't stomach it anymore.
Old 13 December 2008, 22:33   #120
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
In a way, yes. However, her disk drive was malfunctioning, and I thought it was better to stop wasting my floppies .

Oh, and most importantly : Real beauty is a matter of heart not of physical appearance.

Last edited by NewDeli; 13 December 2008 at 23:04.