English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 05 March 2008, 08:34   #101
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf
They could have thought "what's the point ?" if they had enough knowledge about computers, but they hadn't
Well, if they had real knowledge about computers, they would surely now the point
Quote:
Indeed
Quote:
You're right : there'll probably be no common code between jpeg and png. The bit reading stuff could have been compatible if there wasn't that marker hit detection stuff right in the middle of it.

Alternatively if you want to see some bit reading stuff for inspiration, you can find some in flac.s of my sound player.
Yeah, sucks. Maybe I'll take your approach, and find some good source code. Maybe zlib is good.
Quote:
Apparently yes. I have successfully displayed a grayscale picture.
That's amazing, a whole gray scale picture
Quote:
Now it does a little bit more but it's not much more useful.
Just not finished enough. We'll see what it's going to be.
Quote:
You can't reuse existing drivers. They're meant for a particular operating system, using them would be like porting a program to another plaform.
It depends on the driver. If it's interface is easy enough to use, it can be done. On the other hand, with 'modern' os drivers, this is probably just not the case. Of course, you only really need the hardware's most basic features, so it may still be somewhat doable.
Quote:
If your dictionnary is fixed (does not dynamically evolve while running) then a dichotomic search will be better than a hash table. Just a suggestion
Yep, that's true. But I'm not sure if the dictionary is going to remain fixed, and hashing is already very fast. On the other hand, tokenizing to make a list of uniques, and then sorting those to get the search table, seems quite reasonable.
Quote:
Yeah, no argument there

I've been playing around with the assembler parts of your jpeg decoder, and have found that I can modify those files without them having any effect when I compile the project Any pointers on what's going on?

Last edited by Thorham; 06 March 2008 at 07:08.
Old 06 March 2008, 11:24   #102
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Yeah, sucks. Maybe I'll take your approach, and find some good source code. Maybe zlib is good.
In the actual viewers zlib is probably directly used ; this could be useful as starting point like I did with the jpeg lib.

Quote:
That's amazing, a whole gray scale picture
I have advanced a little and can display some (most ?) color ones, but the progressive jpeg support is somewhat broken
(it works with the files I've tested, but anytime I try a new one I discover something unexpected )

Quote:
Just not finished enough. We'll see what it's going to be.
It's somewhat working. But the code is quite dirty because it has got modified a lot of times before it accepted to work

Speedwise, I've understood why I'm faster on lulu.jpg than on yuna.jpg : it's simply that the former is in 1x1 (and therefore does not need upsampling) whereas the latter is in 2x2.
So guess what ? Visage is probably using a box filter upsampler (if I do the same I'm faster heheh).

Quote:
It depends on the driver. If it's interface is easy enough to use, it can be done. On the other hand, with 'modern' os drivers, this is probably just not the case. Of course, you only really need the hardware's most basic features, so it may still be somewhat doable.
If you only get hardware's basic features, you'll end up with an old VGA display

That said, it is true that some different boards look the same because using the same chip, hence you can have some sort of "generic" driver.

If you really want to look at drivers to see what's going on in them, then you can start with some linux driver sources.

Quote:
I've been playing around with the assembler parts of your jpeg decoder, and have found that I can modify those files without them having any effect when I compile the project Any pointers on what's going on?
Oh, well. It seems I should have told you to phxass that v.s to get a new v.o before re-linking the project...
Old 10 March 2008, 09:25   #103
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Visage is probably using a box filter upsampler (if I do the same I'm faster heheh).
That has given me an idea for quick mode. Why not forget about the upsampling stage and just skip straight to the ycbcr to rgb converter? For 2x2 just read 4xY and 1xCB and 1xCR. That should improve the speed a good bit. For the other cbcr sizes, just use a different loop. Of course, it's only useful for a quick mode. Seeing how the ham renderer already has this, I don't see why the jpeg part can't, either. On the other hand, how much speed do you think we'll gain with this 'trick'?
Quote:
If you really want to look at drivers to see what's going on in them, then you can start with some linux driver sources.
If I would start hardware coding on the peecee, I would certainly do that. These drivers are open source, and probably a great way to start peecee coding.
Quote:
Oh, well. It seems I should have told you to phxass that v.s to get a new v.o before re-linking the project...
Maybe you should have Seeing how c accepts assembler in it's source code, I just thought the assembler parts were used automatically. Well, I've learnt something new, again Oh, and guess what, I've tried changing the upsampling part, but I think I used a jpeg with 1x1 cbcr
Old 10 March 2008, 15:21   #104
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
That has given me an idea for quick mode. Why not forget about the upsampling stage and just skip straight to the ycbcr to rgb converter? For 2x2 just read 4xY and 1xCB and 1xCR. That should improve the speed a good bit. For the other cbcr sizes, just use a different loop. Of course, it's only useful for a quick mode. Seeing how the ham renderer already has this, I don't see why the jpeg part can't, either. On the other hand, how much speed do you think we'll gain with this 'trick'?
You wouldn't probably gain much as the upsampling part doesn't take a lot of processing power (as compared to the rest), but it may be worth a try anyway. There are already a lot of such tests in my code, activated - or not - by some equ at start.

Either they damage the quality or they don't gain speed on all images

Quote:
If I would start hardware coding on the peecee, I would certainly do that. These drivers are open source, and probably a great way to start peecee coding.
Yes, they're open source, and that's exactly why I suggested them

On the other hand they're probably quite unreadable...

Quote:
Maybe you should have Seeing how c accepts assembler in it's source code, I just thought the assembler parts were used automatically. Well, I've learnt something new, again Oh, and guess what, I've tried changing the upsampling part, but I think I used a jpeg with 1x1 cbcr
I didn't put the asm part directly in the project because the assembler wouldn't cope with my sort of phxass-only code.
Else it's possible to directly include them.

But now I think it's rather pointless. Look at what I've put in the zone for you to play with and tell me what you think of it
Old 10 March 2008, 16:29   #105
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
You wouldn't probably gain much as the upsampling part doesn't take a lot of processing power (as compared to the rest), but it may be worth a try anyway. There are already a lot of such tests in my code, activated - or not - by some equ at start.
Certainly worth a try, since any speed gain for quick viewing is good.
Quote:
Either they damage the quality or they don't gain speed on all images
For quick mode, damaging the quality is not relevant, just speed. Good quality jpeg viewing is never going to be very fast on a '030 anyway, so an ugly quick mode will at least let you know what an image is, if that's all you want to know.
Quote:
Yes, they're open source, and that's exactly why I suggested them

On the other hand they're probably quite unreadable...
Hopefully not, but you never know. I'm not going to get my hands dirty with peecee hardware coding any time soon, though, so it's no biggie.
Quote:
But now I think it's rather pointless. Look at what I've put in the zone for you to play with and tell me what you think of it
I can describe what I think of it in one word: BITCHIN' Seriously, I've already replaced all but one (png) file types in my diro config with v, and I'm very happy with it. Thanks a million bucks, mate Also, now that the c parts are gone, I can have a much better look at your code. Oh, and I like the English comments

Maybe it's time for you to start advertising your viewer on the eab, I'm sure other people will also like it a lot.

Edit: I just tried v with a progressive jpeg, and all I can say is that v just became even better in my opinion. All the other ones I've seen, do it in multiple passes which you can see on screen, slowing everithing down to a crawl, not v, however. Again, ace program, meynaf.

Edit2: (note: All this is for quick mode) After looking at the idct code, I decided to try a little stunt and replace a bunch of muls values with the closest power of two... Guess what? For a good few it doesn't matter a lot. Next, I replaced them with shifts. For negative muls values: Shifts, and then neg... Same result: Degradation, but not that much. It seems you can get away with quite a lot of fiddling around with those muls and it saves quite a few frames. I never would have expected this at all, and although I haven't replaced all possible muls with shifts, I already got the grey scale image down from 128 frames to 120 Combine this trick with all the other quick and dirty tricks, and the quick mode is indeed going to be quick.

Edit3: Have tried removing some of the fixed value muls completely, and although there is some degradation, overall it still isn't huge! The gray image is now displayed in about 117 frames. I wonder how much less this can become with the other dirty tricks.

Edit4: I've uploaded the modified jpeg.s file and a bmp file (based on your gray test image) rendered with the modified jpeg.s to the zone. The jpeg is your original. Let me know what you think of it for a quick mode, although I'm sure you'll agree it's quite bearable for such purposes.

Edit5: I've discovered a bug which causes v to crash, I'll let you know when this exactly happens when I find out how to reproduce the error.

Last edited by Thorham; 12 March 2008 at 11:21.
Old 13 March 2008, 13:51   #106
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Certainly worth a try, since any speed gain for quick viewing is good.
See the out_mcu routine then.

Quote:
For quick mode, damaging the quality is not relevant, just speed. Good quality jpeg viewing is never going to be very fast on a '030 anyway, so an ugly quick mode will at least let you know what an image is, if that's all you want to know.
If only speed is relevant, then you can just use sjfif (prob'ly available from Aminet). Ugly quality, but its speed leaves the others far behind.

Quote:
I can describe what I think of it in one word: BITCHIN' Seriously, I've already replaced all but one (png) file types in my diro config with v, and I'm very happy with it. Thanks a million bucks, mate Also, now that the c parts are gone, I can have a much better look at your code. Oh, and I like the English comments
Glad you like my translated comments, I did them just for you

For the png, what I have to say is that when I tried to display one with Visage, it just crashed
What do you use to show them ? (I remember a few crashes with akpng datatype too)

If you're still interested in implementing the png, then I can write some sort of skeleton codec for you.

Quote:
Maybe it's time for you to start advertising your viewer on the eab, I'm sure other people will also like it a lot.
Huh, advertising ? Dunno...

Quote:
Edit: I just tried v with a progressive jpeg, and all I can say is that v just became even better in my opinion. All the other ones I've seen, do it in multiple passes which you can see on screen, slowing everithing down to a crawl, not v, however. Again, ace program, meynaf.
Hopefully it is ! That progressive support was quite a pest to implement and took me ages ! Not to mention the code's still a little bit on the dirty side...

The program "jpegaga" (see Aminet) doesn't do it in several passes. Yet it's still very slow

Quote:
Edit2: (note: All this is for quick mode) After looking at the idct code, I decided to try a little stunt and replace a bunch of muls values with the closest power of two... Guess what? For a good few it doesn't matter a lot. Next, I replaced them with shifts. For negative muls values: Shifts, and then neg... Same result: Degradation, but not that much. It seems you can get away with quite a lot of fiddling around with those muls and it saves quite a few frames. I never would have expected this at all, and although I haven't replaced all possible muls with shifts, I already got the grey scale image down from 128 frames to 120 Combine this trick with all the other quick and dirty tricks, and the quick mode is indeed going to be quick.
That dct is probably not the right one to hack this way. The fast-int one should be better suited (see attached thingy behind).

Quote:
Edit3: Have tried removing some of the fixed value muls completely, and although there is some degradation, overall it still isn't huge! The gray image is now displayed in about 117 frames. I wonder how much less this can become with the other dirty tricks.
For that particular image, the winners are :
Code:
test2a equ 1  ; idct - shortcut 1st coef if test2
huffdeq equ 1  ; dequant coefs ac in huffman rather than dct
(just change equ 0 to equ 1 on those lines and see the result)

Quote:
Edit4: I've uploaded the modified jpeg.s file and a bmp file (based on your gray test image) rendered with the modified jpeg.s to the zone. The jpeg is your original. Let me know what you think of it for a quick mode, although I'm sure you'll agree it's quite bearable for such purposes.
Not quite visible on this particular image I quite agree. It's much more visible on lulu.jpg ; not on overall but try to read the little inscriptions to the bottom left...

Quote:
Edit5: I've discovered a bug which causes v to crash, I'll let you know when this exactly happens when I find out how to reproduce the error.
Oops... yes, it's important for me to remove that.
On which image did it happen ?

Last edited by meynaf; 12 May 2011 at 08:32.
Old 14 March 2008, 13:16   #107
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
If only speed is relevant, then you can just use sjfif (prob'ly available from Aminet). Ugly quality, but its speed leaves the others far behind.
So, how does it compare to V? And, can it handle progressive jpegs as well as V?
Quote:
Glad you like my translated comments, I did them just for you
Thank you
Quote:
For the png, what I have to say is that when I tried to display one with Visage, it just crashed
What do you use to show them ? (I remember a few crashes with akpng datatype too)
I use vPng from aminet, which is here: http://aminet.net/gfx/show/vPNG.lha
Quote:
If you're still interested in implementing the png, then I can write some sort of skeleton codec for you.
Yes, I am, but I would wait with doing that until I have some functional code up and running. Thanks for the offer, but it's a little early.
Quote:
Hopefully it is ! That progressive support was quite a pest to implement and took me ages ! Not to mention the code's still a little bit on the dirty side...

The program "jpegaga" (see Aminet) doesn't do it in several passes. Yet it's still very slow
Well, yes, it is! Anyway, why was it so hard?
Quote:
That dct is probably not the right one to hack this way. The fast-int one should be better suited (see attached thingy behind).
Ah, even faster, eh? Tested it, and I think it used 100 frames for the gray image. Not bad, and can be improved with the mentioned hacks.
Quote:
Oops... yes, it's important for me to remove that.
On which image did it happen ?
I don't think it happens on any particular image. Still testing. It's probably some unknown circumstance that causes it. Once I find out how to consistently reproduce the bug, you'll be the first to hear!
Old 17 March 2008, 14:34   #108
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
So, how does it compare to V? And, can it handle progressive jpegs as well as V?
No, it can't handle progressive jpegs, and lamentably fails on some images (e.g. my grayscale test-image). But it's twice faster.

Quote:
I use vPng from aminet, which is here: http://aminet.net/gfx/show/vPNG.lha
Thanks, I'll check that one.

Quote:
Yes, I am, but I would wait with doing that until I have some functional code up and running. Thanks for the offer, but it's a little early.
Ok then.

Quote:
Well, yes, it is! Anyway, why was it so hard?
Why was it hard ? Separate DC/AC decodings, which are done sometimes one component at a time, sometimes mixed up, different layout of the MCUs, different huffman encoding (when it's huffman at all)...

Quote:
Ah, even faster, eh? Tested it, and I think it used 100 frames for the gray image. Not bad, and can be improved with the mentioned hacks.
Anyway if a poor quality one has to be used, it's that one.

Quote:
I don't think it happens on any particular image. Still testing. It's probably some unknown circumstance that causes it. Once I find out how to consistently reproduce the bug, you'll be the first to hear!
Hmm... didn't you simply have an unstable system because you hacked a little bit too much ?
What was the file type ?
What was the error ?
Old 18 March 2008, 15:17   #109
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
No, it can't handle progressive jpegs, and lamentably fails on some images (e.g. my grayscale test-image). But it's twice faster.
Twice the speed, but no progressive/gray scale is quite unacceptable. Shame they didn't make it more compatible...
Quote:
Thanks, I'll check that one.
You're welcome. But I must admit I don't use it a lot, so I have no idea of how stable it is.
Quote:
Ok then.
I'm just getting things organized right now. As I'm not great with c, I'm seriously thinking about starting from scratch on this one. The zlib page only explains the deflate algorithm, not inflate, which I need, so I need some time to get my mind around it.
Quote:
Why was it hard ? Separate DC/AC decodings, which are done sometimes one component at a time, sometimes mixed up, different layout of the MCUs, different huffman encoding (when it's huffman at all)...
Hmm, sounds bloody awful! I sure wish I had the patience to do that sort of stuff.
Quote:
Anyway if a poor quality one has to be used, it's that one.
Cool. And don't worry, poor it will be.
Quote:
Hmm... didn't you simply have an unstable system because you hacked a little bit too much ?
Could be, but it's unlikely. Further more, my system isn't really hacked. I only use a few system add-ons, and the only thing is the stupid mallware which was discussed in your ham8 thread. But...
Quote:
What was the file type ?
What was the error ?
So far, it's been bmp and jpeg. As for the error, it's a full crash. It seems to happen when I load another image during the small progressive jpeg decoding delay, but I'm unsure. It's probably something small, and it's pretty hard to reproduce, even when I'm trying really hard. It almost seems random.
Old 20 March 2008, 18:00   #110
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Twice the speed, but no progressive/gray scale is quite unacceptable. Shame they didn't make it more compatible...
Some gray scale images are supported, but, yes, it's not very compatible. Then again I'm not sure I have the latest version.

Quote:
You're welcome. But I must admit I don't use it a lot, so I have no idea of how stable it is.
Tested. It looked pretty good to me, it's fast and displayed all my PNG images - apart it doesn't really support the progressive PNGs (but why did they do that progressive stupidity AGAIN ?).

Quote:
I'm just getting things organized right now. As I'm not great with c, I'm seriously thinking about starting from scratch on this one. The zlib page only explains the deflate algorithm, not inflate, which I need, so I need some time to get my mind around it.
Deflate and inflate are exactly the same : it's just called deflate when decrunching, and inflate when crunching.

Quote:
Hmm, sounds bloody awful! I sure wish I had the patience to do that sort of stuff.
I had the patience and it took me several days. <sigh>
But seeing how you enjoyed it makes me think it was more than worth

Quote:
Cool. And don't worry, poor it will be.
Oh, I'm confident it'll be poor, no problem

But it ought to be fast. I think a "quick" option isn't worth if it's not at least twice faster than the regular high quality one, don't you agree ?

Quote:
Could be, but it's unlikely. Further more, my system isn't really hacked. I only use a few system add-ons, and the only thing is the stupid mallware which was discussed in your ham8 thread. But...
What I was saying is that you might have accidentally broken something in the DCT or elsewhere, which apparently isn't the case.

Quote:
So far, it's been bmp and jpeg. As for the error, it's a full crash. It seems to happen when I load another image during the small progressive jpeg decoding delay, but I'm unsure. It's probably something small, and it's pretty hard to reproduce, even when I'm trying really hard. It almost seems random.
But a full crash should give you "software failure" and an error number, eh ? So what was it ?

Your test case sounds like a low memory situation anyway (low chipmem ? maybe low fastmem ?), so I'll investigate on that field.
Old 25 March 2008, 02:35   #111
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Some gray scale images are supported, but, yes, it's not very compatible. Then again I'm not sure I have the latest version.
Hmm, I've never had it. I think I'm going to check the latest version, if it's still developed.
Quote:
Tested. It looked pretty good to me, it's fast and displayed all my PNG images - apart it doesn't really support the progressive PNGs (but why did they do that progressive stupidity AGAIN ?).
Same here, it seems like a good program. That progressive rubbish is there for the same reason it's in jpeg, and in todays world, thats just completely useless. But it shouldn't be that hard to implement.
Quote:
Deflate and inflate are exactly the same : it's just called deflate when decrunching, and inflate when crunching.
Deflate and inflate seem like separate algorithms to me. At least that's what I've seen in the zlib archive. I've finally managed to compile some part of it: An easy inflate routine called Puff, which was contributed to the zlib archive, and it is written for simplicity. With that, I shouldn't have a problem getting a good basis for my own inflate routine. One last thing: Deflate crunches, and inflate decrunches
Quote:
I had the patience and it took me several days. <sigh>
But seeing how you enjoyed it makes me think it was more than worth
Those must have been some intense days then. And oh yeah, I certainly enjoy
Quote:
Oh, I'm confident it'll be poor, no problem

But it ought to be fast. I think a "quick" option isn't worth if it's not at least twice faster than the regular high quality one, don't you agree ?
Yes, with all the crap I can do to it, it will certainly be poor You're right, though. If there isn't a substantial speed increase, it's not worth it. Twice as fast is a little bit much. What about 1.5 times? That would shave of a lot of time with very big jpegs, such as 1280x1024, or worse, 1600x1200. Those larger images seem to become more and more common these days.
Quote:
What I was saying is that you might have accidentally broken something in the DCT or elsewhere, which apparently isn't the case.
No, thats not the case, as I'm using your unaltered version.
Quote:
But a full crash should give you "software failure" and an error number, eh ? So what was it ?

Your test case sounds like a low memory situation anyway (low chipmem ? maybe low fastmem ?), so I'll investigate on that field.
Erm, I didn't write it down. I always click the guru away asap. Next time I'll write it down. My fast mem is 16mb, and when booted, I have about 1.6mb of chip. But it might be that loading multiple images simultaneously by accident, causes the crash. Had any 'luck' in making it crash?
Old 27 March 2008, 18:40   #112
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Hmm, I've never had it. I think I'm going to check the latest version, if it's still developed.
The last I have is the 1.72.

Quote:
Same here, it seems like a good program. That progressive rubbish is there for the same reason it's in jpeg, and in todays world, thats just completely useless. But it shouldn't be that hard to implement.
Not hard to implement, certainly. Just cumbersome.

Quote:
Deflate and inflate seem like separate algorithms to me. At least that's what I've seen in the zlib archive. I've finally managed to compile some part of it: An easy inflate routine called Puff, which was contributed to the zlib archive, and it is written for simplicity. With that, I shouldn't have a problem getting a good basis for my own inflate routine. One last thing: Deflate crunches, and inflate decrunches
I only had a quick look on the zlib. Now let's see what you can do with all that

Quote:
Those must have been some intense days then. And oh yeah, I certainly enjoy
Intense days, sure they were ! But it also was a great experience and I certainly won't regret.

Quote:
Yes, with all the crap I can do to it, it will certainly be poor You're right, though. If there isn't a substantial speed increase, it's not worth it. Twice as fast is a little bit much. What about 1.5 times? That would shave of a lot of time with very big jpegs, such as 1280x1024, or worse, 1600x1200. Those larger images seem to become more and more common these days.
Well, the bare minimum here is what other viewers can do, more precisely what the quickest of them actually does.
If you can do your 1280x1024 image in 400 frames or less then it's ok.

Quote:
No, thats not the case, as I'm using your unaltered version.
I expected this... <sigh>
When you try your best to get a crash, do you experience enforcer hits (or similar things with another program) ?

Quote:
Erm, I didn't write it down. I always click the guru away asap. Next time I'll write it down. My fast mem is 16mb, and when booted, I have about 1.6mb of chip. But it might be that loading multiple images simultaneously by accident, causes the crash. Had any 'luck' in making it crash?
I didn't make it crash. But how can you possibly load multiple images simultaneously ? Are you using some sort of tool manager ?